Baseball

General Chatter
njbill

Re: Baseball

Post by njbill »

Tough game for the Fightins. For some reason the stress level wasn't what it was in game one. Yes, game 4 showed the Phils aren't invincible at CBP. So there was some anxiety going into the game tonight which oddly seemed to reduce the overall stress level.

Phils had their chances. Some of the close plays in game one went their way. Some close plays didn't go their way tonight. That's baseball.

In the postgame show they said Phils were 1-7 with runners in scoring position (which sounded about right to me). They also said Astros were 1-11, which surprised me.

Astros plated one run following a lead off triple and scored another on a homer. They got their third on an error by the Phillies first baseman. Astros made two great defensive plays in the 8th and 9th. The play in the 8th definitely saved one run and probably two. The play in the 9th might have saved a run. Defense wins championships.

Kate did her job. Verlander was lucky to escape with only one run against him. Phillies had chances to push across one, maybe two, more runs against him, but they didn't get it done.

No complaints at all about the Phillies pitching tonight. If you told me before the game that they'd only allow two runs (Hoskins allowed the third), I'd have been happy.

Phillies swing at too many balls and fail to cut down their swings with two strikes. This is the World Series for friggin' sake. Shorten your swing. Get your bat on the ball. Put the ball in play.

So to grasp at straws: the last two times a team has come home with a 3-2 lead, they have lost the Series. The last time this happened (in 2019), the Astros came home up 3-2 and lost two straight to the Nats. "So, you're telling me there's a chance?" Yes, I am.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, lotta pressure on every pitch from the first one to the last one.
Valdez survives the top of 1 after getting hosed, think the commentator
said he got phucked but I might have misheard him. D turns a pretty
sweet DP, that changes things quickly. More nice D gets the third one.

0-0, six outs in.

Should be a Lab in each dugout that runs out and grabs the balls when
they're rolled back to the dugouts. They hit the dirt, ya know.
Valdez survives another one.
He's all even with the ump now,
got a gift that time out.

Phils take the lead, 1-0.
Schwarber with the long ball.

Altuve is an incredibly pesky ballplayer.
His speed steals a DP from the Phils,
then he hustles to 3rd on a hit.
Wheeler done, was pretty good .
Wow, Alvarez finally connects.
Stros go up 3-1.
Bring another one home, 4-1 end of 6.

No joy in Phillsville.
Stros win it 4-1.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Disappointing end to a magical, unexpected run. As we all know, the further you get in the playoffs in any sport, the tougher the ultimate loss is.

Sosa's ball getting caught at the wall instead of going out or even banging off was huge and a bad sign. 3-0 lead would have been awesome and might have changed how the game played out.

Did Thomson take Wheeler out too soon? I think so.

Astros have too much pitching and are the better team. Our only hope was that as a hot team we beat a better team, as we did in the NL playoffs.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fg2ViPlWIAA ... me=900x900

https://twitter.com/astros/status/15890 ... gr%5Etweet

The Houston Astros are the 2022 World Series champions after defeating the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 6.

https://www.si.com/mlb/astros/game-day/ ... s-game-six

The Houston Astros are the World Champions for the second time in franchise history after defeating the Philadelphia Phillies in the 2022 World Series.

For five innings neither team could muster a run as both Phillies ace Zack Wheeler and Astros ace Framber Valdez engaged in an old fashioned pitcher's duel.

Valdez pitched 6.0 innings and struck out nine in the process. His lone run was a sixth inning solo shot from Philadelphia slugger Kyle Schwarber.

Momentum seemed to shift in the Phillies' favor as neither team's pitcher looked likely to give up another run. It always felt like one swing of the bat would determine the outcome of the game.

Though Houston was down, they were never out. After a fielder's choice allowed Astros second baseman Jose Altuve to reach first, shortstop Jeremy Peña's single advanced Altuve to third.

Following the single, Wheeler, who had been absolutely stellar his entire outing was pulled after just 5.1 innings.

José Alvarado was the one manager Rob Thomson called on to get Philadelphia out of the first-and-third jam.

Much like his appearance in Game 4 when he came on with bases loaded, the moment in Game 6 was just too big.

Astros slugger, and Game 6 hero, Yordan Álvarez was the first hitter he faced. Almost immediately it was apparent that Alvarado was struggling with command, and Álvarez took full advantage. He launched a 450-foot mammoth shot that cleared the batter's eye in center field to give Houston a 3-1 lead.

Kudos to the Astros. Hopefully, no scandal will take place ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Happy for Dusty. I was in the Giants clubhouse for the 2002 WS and talked with him some during the series. Tough loss for him then so glad he finally gets a ring.

Regarding the Alvarez bomb here is a quick article with video of Tal’s Hill which is how Enron Field looked before it was changed.
I’ve been to many games there before and after the hill was removed and don’t recall a ball being hit that high up the wall or into the section where where he put it.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tal-s-hill-hea ... icle-share

And how about the rookie Peña offensively and defensively, worthy of the MVP in both series.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Lots of disagreement in Philly land about Thomson taking Wheeler out when he did. I didn’t like it in the moment. He was still pitching great. His velocity and command were still good. How many bats did he break? Don’t think there were any hard hit balls against him. Maybe one.

Also don’t like the positioning of the shortstop (too far in the hole) on that ball up the middle. Had the 6 been more up the middle, the ball would’ve been caught and at least one out turned, maybe a double play.

Inning started with the Astro player leaning into the pitch to get hit. He admitted in the clubhouse that he did that on purpose. If you look at the replay closely (which I have now done about 1000 times), he extended his arm into the pitch and then pulled it back, but not as far as where it had been initially. Very clever, but still should’ve been called as he had illegally leaned into the pitch.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

6x6 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:42 pm Happy for Dusty. I was in the Giants clubhouse for the 2002 WS and talked with him some during the series. Tough loss for him then so glad he finally gets a ring.
Indeed. Congrats to the Astro Fans! Was not a fan when he got pulled from the Nats in 2017. He was on the cusp, just not enough time.

https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/158 ... 7_38084642

As a Braves fan, it was disappointing when they let Freddie go last year...he was the glue guy for that ball club and letting him roll set them back years.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

njbill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:02 am Lots of disagreement in Philly land about Thomson taking Wheeler out when he did. I didn’t like it in the moment. He was still pitching great. His velocity and command were still good. How many bats did he break? Don’t think there were any hard hit balls against him. Maybe one.

Also don’t like the positioning of the shortstop (too far in the hole) on that ball up the middle. Had the 6 been more up the middle, the ball would’ve been caught and at least one out turned, maybe a double play.

Inning started with the Astro player leaning into the pitch to get hit. He admitted in the clubhouse that he did that on purpose. If you look at the replay closely (which I have now done about 1000 times), he extended his arm into the pitch and then pulled it back, but not as far as where it had been initially. Very clever, but still should’ve been called as he had illegally leaned into the pitch.
I was somewhat surprised Thomson was pulled at that point, I think he could have gotten out of that situation.

However, I totally disagree with your argument about Maldonado being hit. He moved up into the batter’s box knowing Thomson throws that pitch inside and admitted he’d take one. The big difference, he also knew what would happen if he moved out over the plate. He wasn’t moving out over the plate to get hit as Diaz had done, he pulled his arm back in to his body. I think John Smoltz, being a HoF pitcher, would certainly know what happened and he agreed with the umps and the revue.

Go back and look earlier in the game when Realmuto was hit by a pitch that barely hit his foot. He made no effort to move out of the way and he wasn’t required to do so.

A good description of Maldonado being hit and the rules.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... ufqtnfvvsc
njbill

Post by njbill »

Disagree. As I said, I have watched the replay many many times from multiple angles. Slow motion and at regular speed.

The rule requires the batter to make an effort to get out of the way of the pitch. In practice, however, the umpires don’t really administer the rule that way. A lot of times, you see a player simply stand there, not move, get hit, and get the call. The umpires only seem to call a violation if a batter moves into the pitch. All of this is easy for me to say from my couch, not facing a 100 mile an hour fastball. But the wording of the rule and how it is implemented in practice are different. The ball that hit Realmuto bounced and kicked a little. He didn't move into the pitch. Don’t see that that was in anyway analogous to the play in question.

Let’s start with the fact that he admitted in the clubhouse that he tried to get hit. Obviously he didn’t tell the umpire that at the time, but he admitted what he did. This guy is a catcher. He knows all about body positioning, moving into the pitch, etc. He intended to do something illegal, and he did. Not as obvious as the one earlier in the Series, but still illegal. Ricky Bo says Wheeler should have ear holed him. You wanna get hit by a pitch? I’ll give you a hit by pitch.

As I said in my initial post, it was very clever. I’m not objecting to where he had his feet. That was legal. I’m not saying he leaned out over the plate. If you do that (he didn't) and you get hit, it's not a hit by pitch and you don't get first base. In fact, you get a strike called on you. As a catcher, he knew all this.

What he did was lean into the pitch (intentionally) as it was being thrown. He was trying to get hit. He was not trying to hit the baseball. If he had not then moved back a little at that point, it would have been an obvious violation the umpire would have recognized and called. But what he did was very clever. After leaning way into the pitch, he slightly pulled back as the ball approached him. That created the illusion he was trying to get out of the way. He wasn’t.

Not saying at all that that one play made a difference in the outcome of the game. Had it been called correctly, it would have simply been a ball and the at bat would’ve continued. But he is the ninth player in the order and the odds are he would have been out. Under the best case scenario for the Phillies, the Astros don’t score in that inning, and the game enters the seventh Phils up 1-0. Who knows who wins the game? I certainly thought the Phillies were going to need to score more runs to win.

But it’s just another example of the cheating Astros. And the main little twerp cheater is still on the team. He should have been suspended for at least a year, if not thrown out of the game permanently.

As I said earlier, overall, the better team won. But sometimes the hot team beats the better team. Looked like that might happen after game three, but in the end it didn’t.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Phillies were soooooooo hot coming down the stretch I couldn't help but think this has to come to a halt and they've got to come back to a little closer to reality (I didn't really care who won the series, as noted I just love the quality of baseball you get at this time of year). Baseball is funny like that, in the end the averages are highly likely to come back and get you which happened here (more or less).
I don't think there's any question that Thomson looked for a way to get hit at that point in the count. He started farther back in the box when he came to the plate but on that pitch his feet were hugging the box as close to the plate as he could get and still be in the box. No question, IMO, this was intentional but all you can say about it is that it was real smart baseball. He gave himself enough room to look as if he was making an attempt to not get hit by lowering that arm while knowing full well he was still in prime position to draw the HBP. Pizzez you off if you're a Phillies fan or Stros hater but a smart play as far baseball goes, particularly by a guy who hasn't been hitting and given the "importance" of the game.
There was some really pretty defense in this game, lot of nicely turned DPs which played real big in the game. Oh, and a good catcher is worth his weight in gold....gotta have one. Lot of blocked balls that were kept in front of them and that's huge. Think it was Bregman who made a gorgeous bare handed pick up on a slow roller to third followed by a perfect throw to first to get the runner. Gorgeous play.....a football QB makes a throw like that and the football world goes nuts, meanwhile damn near any baseball player can, particularly infielders.
In the end I was glad to see Dusty win it all, don't know how anyone could not like that guy. Was happy for Kate and Justin too, Verlander is very appreciative to still be playing, was genuinely grateful for this experience. Was nice to see...and Kate,...well, she's just nice to see.
Enjoyed the series very much.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Astros had better starting pitching although it was pretty even last night. Their bullpen is also better, but with the glaring exception of Alvarado‘s last two appearances, the Phillies’ was frankly better than I thought it would be. Of course you can’t eliminate those “glaring exceptions.” I am wondering if Alvarado is now heading into Mitch Williams territory with the fans. Hopefully nobody egged his house last night.

Phillies had more power but other than that I thought the hitting was fairly even. Of course, hitting can run hot and cold, more than pitching.

Astros are better defensively. Look at the two first basemen plays in game five. Hoskins turns into Bill Buckner which cost the team a run. The Astro first baseman makes a very nice stop on Schwarber’s bullet. If that gets through, one run scores, maybe two. Turn those two plays around, and the Phillies probably win that game. Great play in centerfield by the Astro in the ninth inning. Compare that to a somewhat similar ball which the Phillies centerfielder let drop at the base of the wall.

Last night if Sosa’s ball in the top of the second is 12 (maybe six) inches higher, it bangs off the wall and two runs score. If it’s a little higher still, it goes out of the park and the Phillies have a 3–0 lead in the second inning.

But in any close game, there are at least several plays on each side which if they went the other way probably would have changed the result. In game one if Castalanos is six or 12 inches short and doesn’t catch the ball in the bottom of the ninth, the Astros win that game.

Never owned a Phillies jersey, but during the playoffs I decided to get one. There’s only one I would ever wear: Johnny Callison.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Not Tug McGraw? Loved Tug.
Tim taps his leg like his old man did
every time he does Live Like You Were
Dying in honor of Tug. Pretty cool.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I liked Tugger and certainly loved what he did for the team in 1980, but Johnny was my first love even though the team broke my heart in 1964.

Little story about Johnny. He didn’t make the big bucks back in his day, and by the end of his life he was tending bar in a bar outside of Philadelphia. My cousin was also a Phillies fan in 1964 before going over to the Dark Side later in life and becoming a Yankees fan. But he, too, loved Johnny back in the 60s. We must’ve talked half a dozen times about going over to Johnny’s bar and having a beer with him. Never did it, then he passed away. Truthfully, it’s one of the top 10 regrets of my life.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:46 pm I liked Tugger and certainly loved what he did for the team in 1980, but Johnny was my first love even though the team broke my heart in 1964.

Little story about Johnny. He didn’t make the big bucks back in his day, and by the end of his life he was tending bar in a bar outside of Philadelphia. My cousin was also a Phillies fan in 1964 before going over to the Dark Side later in life and becoming a Yankees fan. But he, too, loved Johnny back in the 60s. We must’ve talked half a dozen times about going over to Johnny’s bar and having a beer with him. Never did it, then he passed away. Truthfully, it’s one of the top 10 regrets of my life.
Sorry to hear that. Speaking of Callison and the Yankees he finished his career in the Bronx in 1972-73 at a time when the Yanks were not very good. He most pinch hit and played a little DH.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, it was sad to see him go out that way. But then that’s what happens to most ball players.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DMac wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:14 pm Not Tug McGraw? Loved Tug.
Tim taps his leg like his old man did
every time he does Live Like You Were
Dying in honor of Tug. Pretty cool.

One scary thing that is not discussed too often is how six former Phillies all died of the same cause:

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2022/05 ... -says.html

Don't want to get too much into it here but it's worth some thought.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Yep. The Vet was one nasty place. Fortunately for the football players, they only had to go there once a week. The baseball players were not so lucky. Don’t think the radar gun theory has any legs, but the chemicals in the Astroturf one may have some validity.

Radar guns were used in all ball parks. I don’t think there have been similar incidents in other stadiums.

To my non-scientific thinking, I suspect it has more to do with the Astroturf. And unfortunately brain cancer deaths among baseball players are just limited to the Vet. Gary Carter is another one.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

This should be good - announced today

Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Albert Belle, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling are the candidates for induction in the HOF. A 16-member Contemporary Baseball Era Players Committee will vote on December 4, and any candidate receiving 75 percent of the ballots cast will earn election. That's 12 out of 16 ballots and you're in. No word on who is on the committee.

Pity the guys who will be elected with 75% of the writers ballots (100s) who will have to share the induction stage with Bond, Clemens or Palmeiro
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Put Roger Maris and Gene Michael at the top of that list. They belong in the HOF more than anyone else.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”