Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Essexfenwick

Re: Recruiting

Post by Essexfenwick »

Together with mens and women’s programs UMD is the premier lacrosse institution in the country so it’s always in the hunt. The players are more revered state-wide in the lacrosse state wearing the flag trimmed whites.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:48 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:57 pm Anybody hear the name Emma Penczek before? 93 goals 43 assists 127 DC and 37CTs as a sophomore midfielder out of Manchester Valley HS (same HS as Lizzie Colson) plays again good competition throughout MD and Carroll County. Led her team to an undefeated 19-0 record (the only undefeated MD public school) and Man Valley was ranked #19 in the country. Figured she might be the real deal and I’m interested where she commits.
Sounds like a good player. When a team beats it’s opponents by an average of 8-9 goals per game one has to question the level of competition. There are a lot of players throwing up these kind of numbers against bad teams.
She’s not putting these numbers up against bad teams. Carroll County is a strong county for lacrosse in MD. Man Val beat Liberty (also from Carroll County) who was the 1A state champ and lost 1 game all year (to Man Val). Man Val also beat Westminster (Carroll County) who was a 3A state semifinalist. Man Val also beat Glenelg and Century (Carroll County) who are both consistently top lacrosse programs for public schools in MD. These are just 4 of the teams they played all year but there are more good teams.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:47 pm Together with mens and women’s programs UMD is the premier lacrosse institution in the country so it’s always in the hunt. The players are more revered state-wide in the lacrosse state wearing the flag trimmed whites.
Dude I’m a MD fan, and I appreciate your dedication and commitment to the Terps, but we all know (even you) that they are not the program they were 5 years ago. They are still good and may get back there, but they are no longer a Top 2 or even Top 5 team like they used to be. They’re not the top choice for the top recruits anymore.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

user1020 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:53 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:47 pm Together with mens and women’s programs UMD is the premier lacrosse institution in the country so it’s always in the hunt. The players are more revered state-wide in the lacrosse state wearing the flag trimmed whites.
Dude I’m a MD fan, and I appreciate your dedication and commitment to the Terps, but we all know (even you) that they are not the program they were 5 years ago. They are still good and may get back there, but they are no longer a Top 2 or even Top 5 team like they used to be. They’re not the top choice for the top recruits anymore.

Need to recruit outside the box like NW. the evolution of non-men’s sports is changing fast. NW beat BC much worse than they beat UMD. Terps are the only team to get a 1st team all American transfer this year. That’s the stuff I want.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

user1020 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:53 pm
I am Terp fan too, but the program has to evolve. I get it, no one is likely going to catch their NC total in my lifetime. However, they can be boring to watch. Teams like NW, BC, UNC and 'Cuse play a much more appealing style of play to me. The younger players are gravitating to programs with this style of play too.
Last edited by UO22 on Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

user1020 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:50 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:57 pm Anybody hear the name Emma Penczek before? 93 goals 43 assists 127 DC and 37CTs as a sophomore midfielder out of Manchester Valley HS (same HS as Lizzie Colson) plays again good competition throughout MD and Carroll County. Led her team to an undefeated 19-0 record (the only undefeated MD public school) and Man Valley was ranked #19 in the country. Figured she might be the real deal and I’m interested where she commits.
Sounds like a good player. When a team beats it’s opponents by an average of 8-9 goals per game one has to question the level of competition. There are a lot of players throwing up these kind of numbers against bad teams.
She’s not putting these numbers up against bad teams. Carroll County is a strong county for lacrosse in MD. Man Val beat Liberty (also from Carroll County) who was the 1A state champ and lost 1 game all year (to Man Val). Man Val also beat Westminster (Carroll County) who was a 3A state semifinalist. Man Val also beat Glenelg and Century (Carroll County) who are both consistently top lacrosse programs for public schools in MD. These are just 4 of the teams they played all year but there are more good teams.
LaxNumbers is showing Man Val won their games by an average of 16-4. Twelve of their games were won by 10+ goals. They seem to be a good team relative to the schedule they played, but when their opponents can only put up 4 goals per game the competition clearly is not the best. At 4 goals teams are barely possessing the ball. I’m not sure how anyone can conclude otherwise based on this information.
harflax

Post by harflax »

jff97 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:38 pm
suffolk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:49 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:34 am
UO22 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:51 am
Yes, I have seen her play on a few occasions. She was fantastic when I saw her. She reminds me of a traditional UNC midfielder.
Yep Emma is a top player in the 2025 class. She has insane speed and goes to the cage like a Mack truck. Don't think she's UNC bound though (it wouldn't surprise me if she does) I only say this because there are long island and Connecticut kids who are heavy UNC leans. UNC pipeline in Long Island is very strong. Tbh Maryland needs her and should try hard to land her.

Spallina, Gabby Lauretani, Emma Penczek, Uma Kowalski, Ava Meyn to name a few other top players.

This needs to be a strong class for MD or they are in serious trouble because what UNC has coming up is ridiculous, what BC has coming is very strong, Cuse's 2024 class might be their best ever, NW will be NW. They are falling behind fast

True regarding the highly regarded players here on the Island as well as Connecticut and the UNC pipeline. However, Jenny Levy’s daughter plays for M&D lacrosse club, the same club as Penzek.
I could see Carolina being in the mix for her. I think Godine from M&D chosing UNC over Maryland a couple years ago was significant for UNC. I just don’t remember UNC beating Maryland out for a top kid from that club. I agree though signing Penzek has to be a top priority for Maryland . They need to keep the best player in Maryland in state.
MD could probably roll out the red carpet for Penczek given some of the players they've gotten from Carroll County. As far as Godine, she did go to McDonogh and there's a difference how MD is viewed as a school when it comes to kids from private schools vs. kids from public schools.
Taylor Cummings, Megan Whittle and Brandi Griffin are just a few of the Terp greats who played for both M&D and McDonogh.
casualaxfan

Post by casualaxfan »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:55 pm
user1020 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:50 pm
LaxNumbers is showing Man Val won their games by an average of 16-4. Twelve of their games were won by 10+ goals. They seem to be a good team relative to the schedule they played, but when their opponents can only put up 4 goals per game the competition clearly is not the best. At 4 goals teams are barely possessing the ball. I’m not sure how anyone can conclude otherwise based on this information.
Emma won the Sun player of the year as a Soph. I think only Taylor Cummings has done that. Not saying she is TC, but she is the real deal.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Yes, I have seen her play on a few occasions. She was fantastic when I saw her. She reminds me of a traditional UNC midfielder.
Yep Emma is a top player in the 2025 class. She has insane speed and goes to the cage like a Mack truck. Don't think she's UNC bound though (it wouldn't surprise me if she does) I only say this because there are long island and Connecticut kids who are heavy UNC leans. UNC pipeline in Long Island is very strong. Tbh Maryland needs her and should try hard to land her.

Spallina, Gabby Lauretani, Emma Penczek, Uma Kowalski, Ava Meyn to name a few other top players.

This needs to be a strong class for MD or they are in serious trouble because what UNC has coming up is ridiculous, what BC has coming is very strong, Cuse's 2024 class might be their best ever, NW will be NW. They are falling behind fast
Saw Ava Meyn play this weekend against one of my daughter. From my perspective, she is the best 25 we've seen. (And we've played all the top teams and been to top showcases).
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:50 am

Saw Ava Meyn play this weekend against one of my daughter. From my perspective, she is the best 25 we've seen. (And we've played all the top teams and been to top showcases).
Funny. Spallina, Laurentani and Kowalski all really good players but they have the name rec but they aren’t even the best player on their team. Saw Meyn as well. She is a baller.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Steps girl is a reclass. Still think she would’ve been a top player in the 2024 class.
Laxdad126

Post by Laxdad126 »

I think there are number of good 2025 girls that perhaps have not gone to all the "name recognition" events. Laurentani is good but there are also some equally talented 2025's in CT. Patterson, Hapgood, Tully, Roth, Winkler to name a few.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Laxdad126 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:34 am I think there are number of good 2025 girls that perhaps have not gone to all the "name recognition" events. Laurentani is good but there are also some equally talented 2025's in CT. Patterson, Hapgood, Tully, Roth, Winkler to name a few.
My daughter also said there is a attacker girl from Oregon from a club no-one has ever heard of who is "definitely top 5" in this class.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

She is definitely very good. Strong, fast and aggressive. Better than Lauren Gilbert (someone else no one heard of) at this stage in high school. I look forward to seeing where she commits.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Being better than Lauren Gilbert in her sophomore or junior year of high school is interesting but somewhat irrelevant…..because Lauren Gilbert had something that, once her lacrosse Iq continued to develop as she played with stronger players at northwestern, allowed her to become a tewaarton nominee and first team all American. That something is truly elite speed. Like the fastest college player I’ve ever seen speed. Hard to follow in those footsteps…literally.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:26 pm Being better than Lauren Gilbert in her sophomore or junior year of high school is interesting but somewhat irrelevant…..because Lauren Gilbert had something that, once her lacrosse Iq continued to develop as she played with stronger players at northwestern, allowed her to become a tewaarton nominee and first team all American. That something is truly elite speed. Like the fastest college player I’ve ever seen speed. Hard to follow in those footsteps…literally.
Crazy how fast she was/is
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Maryland Lacrosse Showcase finally released 15 of their “over 100” coaches attending. Honestly, they should be arrested for the heist and that is what it is. All showcases are money grabs we know and pretty much accept that. This one is down right theft! The Hood coach should be arrested.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:56 pm Maryland Lacrosse Showcase finally released 15 of their “over 100” coaches attending. Honestly, they should be arrested for the heist and that is what it is. All showcases are money grabs we know and pretty much accept that. This one is down right theft! The Hood coach should be arrested.
Wish I knew you were trying to sign up, I would have tried to stop you.

In terms of multi-team camps/showcase, here are the ones I think make sense for women's lax. (And even some of these prob may not make sense if you play on a top 30 club time.

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- UA150 (though this is even borderline now)
- UNC winter multi-school camp
- Elite 12 regional camp
- Northwestern summer multi-school camp
- All American tryouts for regions which have them in recuriting windows

That's it. That's the list. Pretty much everthing else is a cash grab with little recruiting event. Even some of those above may not make sense. Prospect days are almost always better uses of $$.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:17 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:56 pm Maryland Lacrosse Showcase finally released 15 of their “over 100” coaches attending. Honestly, they should be arrested for the heist and that is what it is. All showcases are money grabs we know and pretty much accept that. This one is down right theft! The Hood coach should be arrested.

In terms of multi-team camps/showcase, here are the ones I think make sense for women's lax. (And even some of these prob may not make sense if you play on a top 30 club time.

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- Elite 12 regional camp

That's it. That's the list. Pretty much everthing else is a cash grab with little recruiting event. Even some of those above may not make sense. Prospect days are almost always better uses of $$.
I add American Select too
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

CnyLax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:31 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:17 pm

- Best In Class
- Lacrosse Masters
- Juniors Open
- Elite 12 regional camp

I add American Select too
Are Max Exposure and Triple Threat still a thing? My daughter got initial attention from the program she ended up playing with from Triple Threat.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”