Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Velvet.Fog

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Great info on the faceoffs. Question: at one point it looked like they called procedure on Petrakis before anyone even crouched down to start the process. Is this possible? If so, what could that be?

It definitely happened last year at Penn State - procedure for what seemed like no reason before they were in position.

Some refs go crazy with ticky-tack violations. Other crews ignore them. Did you see Denver/Duke the other night. Those guys have sticks that are leaning, they were jumping and then often withholding the ball for prolonged periods. No calls on procedure almost at all.

What gives? VF
BeamHill87

Post by BeamHill87 »

First post from a long-time reader of this excellent forum - I have greatly appreciated the analysis and insight into CU Lacrosse that so many share here!

I'm posting to share some bad news - I emailed WHCU's GM and learned that, due to an Ivy League deal with ESPN+, Cornell will no longer have WHCU broadcast CU Lacrosse games. To say this is disappointing is huge understatement, as I felt Barry along with Tom and/or Howie provided unparalleled play-by-play and expert commentary on the games. I'm sure many/most of us would listen to them while watching games on ESPN+. Their banter, analysis, and historical reflections about Coach Moran during the Rutgers rain delay last year were absolutely priceless.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm Great info on the faceoffs. Question: at one point it looked like they called procedure on Petrakis before anyone even crouched down to start the process. Is this possible? If so, what could that be?

It definitely happened last year at Penn State - procedure for what seemed like no reason before they were in position.

Some refs go crazy with ticky-tack violations. Other crews ignore them. Did you see Denver/Duke the other night. Those guys have sticks that are leaning, they were jumping and then often withholding the ball for prolonged periods. No calls on procedure almost at all.

What gives? VF
Is it possible that the ref called down, the other fogo went into his crouch, but Petrakis did not? This does not seem likely because your description seemed to be that neither was down at the time of the call. As you suggest, I'm guessing refs are not consistent in the way certain violations are called. I'd expect more consistency on jumping, withholding, etc. than some of the most technical violations, but it seems that may not be the case.

On another topic in a prior email, I missed not only the WHCU play by play, but also the pregame show. Too bad.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BeamHill87 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:52 pm First post from a long-time reader of this excellent forum - I have greatly appreciated the analysis and insight into CU Lacrosse that so many share here!

I'm posting to share some bad news - I emailed WHCU's GM and learned that, due to an Ivy League deal with ESPN+, Cornell will no longer have WHCU broadcast CU Lacrosse games. To say this is disappointing is huge understatement, as I felt Barry along with Tom and/or Howie provided unparalleled play-by-play and expert commentary on the games. I'm sure many/most of us would listen to them while watching games on ESPN+. Their banter, analysis, and historical reflections about Coach Moran during the Rutgers rain delay last year were absolutely priceless.
The Cornell broadcast team is one I have often pointed to in the past for how it should be done. Princeton gives a professional effort as well. This year’s Syracuse team is unlistenable.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Hopefully the coaches and players now understand the faceoff issues and can fix them. Shouldn't be too difficult if it's just procedural prior to the actual faceoff, no?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:20 pm
BeamHill87 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:52 pm First post from a long-time reader of this excellent forum - I have greatly appreciated the analysis and insight into CU Lacrosse that so many share here!

The Cornell broadcast team is one I have often pointed to in the past for how it should be done. Princeton gives a professional effort as well. This year’s Syracuse team is unlistenable.

Syracuse went from pros who know the game to ..... best to watch with volume off
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

stupefied wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:32 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:20 pm

Syracuse went from pros who know the game to ..... best to watch with volume off
yep...I liked Casey.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Thanks for delivering this very sad news. Is there any chance that Barry and Tom will be the broadcast team for ESPN+ for Cornell home games?
molo

Post by molo »

Casey? Do you mean Ryan, my favorite color man who is a bit of an acquired taste?
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

BeamHill87 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:52 pm I emailed WHCU's GM and learned that, due to an Ivy League deal with ESPN+, Cornell will no longer have WHCU broadcast CU Lacrosse games. To say this is disappointing is huge understatement, as I felt Barry along with Tom and/or Howie provided unparalleled play-by-play and expert commentary on the games.
This is too bad, but would explain the horticulture show they were broadcasting during the early minutes of the game (I was hoping to watch ESPN+ and listen to WHCU). Also explains why links to the radio broadcast weren't on the info page re: the game.

Very disappointing.

Does this mean all games are available on ESPN+? For any that aren't will there be radio broadcasts? I spent a lot of time last spring driving my son between AAU venues while streaming the excellent WHCU play-by-play. Honestly one of the things I look forward to most.
BeamHill87

Post by BeamHill87 »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm
BeamHill87 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:52 pm I emailed WHCU's GM and learned that, due to an Ivy League deal with ESPN+, Cornell will no longer have WHCU broadcast CU Lacrosse games. To say this is disappointing is huge understatement, as I felt Barry along with Tom and/or Howie provided unparalleled play-by-play and expert commentary on the games.
This is too bad, but would explain the horticulture show they were broadcasting during the early minutes of the game (I was hoping to watch ESPN+ and listen to WHCU). Also explains why links to the radio broadcast weren't on the info page re: the game.

Very disappointing.

Does this mean all games are available on ESPN+? For any that aren't will there be radio broadcasts? I spent a lot of time last spring driving my son between AAU venues while streaming the excellent WHCU play-by-play. Honestly one of the things I look forward to most.
Based on what the WHCU GM told me the broadcasters will be local for each team, so hopefully Barry will do our home games along with Tom and/or Howie - Jason Weinstein did them solo for ESPN+ last year, so we might not know until game time on Saturday. As another fan posted, another big loss is the pregame show with the coach interviews, matchups, etc.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

BeamHill87 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:00 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:33 pm

Very disappointing.

Based on what the WHCU GM told me the broadcasters will be local for each team, so hopefully Barry will do our home games along with Tom and/or Howie - Jason Weinstein did them solo for ESPN+ last year, so we might not know until game time on Saturday. As another fan posted, another big loss is the pregame show with the coach interviews, matchups, etc.
Wow! It's really too bad... In fairness to the community, you'd think that the access to the "free" WHCU broadcasts would be a public service versus the paid for ESPN broadcasts, and be something that the University cared about. Also, for the limited number of added viewers that ESPN "captures" from this black-out, it seems rather arbitrary and grasping.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

I thought I read-somewhere- that Barry Leonard and Howie would be doing the ESPN+ broadcast for Cornell home games.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Velvet.Fog wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:43 pm Great info on the faceoffs. Question: at one point it looked like they called procedure on Petrakis before anyone even crouched down to start the process. Is this possible? If so, what could that be?

What gives? VF
Agree. There are way too many technical violations on face-offs. If a crew is calling a violation more than 5 times a game, there are issues with the rule and not the players. Whatever it is that Petrakis is doing, he obviously is not correcting it and it seems it may have more to do with the rule and the crew than him.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Does anybody know why the home game vs Penn is being played on Sunday March 26 and not Saturday. I am in Ithaca on March 24-25 and made plans to watch the game and now I will miss it. I see that the women have a game vs Princeton on Saturday March 25 at home. Has there been an issue with the women wanting home games at Schoellkopf on Saturdays? Or is the Cornell-Penn game moved for broadcasting reasons? I'm incredibly bummed that I can't see the game now. I can't stay an extra day.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:40 pm Does anybody know why the home game vs Penn is being played on Sunday March 26 and not Saturday. I am in Ithaca on March 24-25 and made plans to watch the game and now I will miss it. I see that the women have a game vs Princeton on Saturday March 25 at home. Has there been an issue with the women wanting home games at Schoellkopf on Saturdays? Or is the Cornell-Penn game moved for broadcasting reasons? I'm incredibly bummed that I can't see the game now. I can't stay an extra day.
The game has been moved because it’s now being broadcast on ESPNU
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Posting Foy article to keep us on the first page.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... week/60745

4. Cornell (4) The Big Red were pushed to the limit by a UAlbany team that showed a lot more than they did in their opener vs. Syracuse. (BTW, I have said it before and I know I am about the 20th person to say it in the last two weeks, but Elijah Gash is a pro.) Without Michael Long, who missed the game with an apparent injury, Cornell‘s offense gets very inexperienced very quickly. It was clear how reliant the group became on CJ Kirst, and it needed every one of his six goals. As ever, what impressed me as much or more than that about Kirst‘s game were the six groundballs and two caused turnovers he contributed to the effort.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

CU88 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:03 pm Posting Foy article to keep us on the first page.

4. Cornell (4) The Big Red were pushed to the limit by a UAlbany team that showed a lot more than they did in their opener vs. Syracuse. (BTW, I have said it before and I know I am about the 20th person to say it in the last two weeks, but Elijah Gash is a pro.) Without Michael Long, who missed the game with an apparent injury, Cornell‘s offense gets very inexperienced very quickly. It was clear how reliant the group became on CJ Kirst, and it needed every one of his six goals. As ever, what impressed me as much or more than that about Kirst‘s game were the six groundballs and two caused turnovers he contributed to the effort.
Not sure I agree with calling the offense after Long inexperienced. Coyle is a long time vet at this point. Blake struggled with injury last season but still has some quality experience at the beginning and end of season. Kelleher has a full year of experience under his belt. Same for Wirtheim who is a senior now. Lombardi has been with the team for forever, albeit with some injury troubles. Those guys are all experienced and represent most of the offensive core. Think the offense will make the UAlbany game look like a freak occurrence as the season goes on, having no lax in 2021 means less reps than most their age, but would not call them "very inexperienced."
another fan

Post by another fan »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:20 pm
CU88 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:03 pm Posting Foy article to keep us on the first page.

Not sure I agree with calling the offense after Long inexperienced. Coyle is a long time vet at this point. Blake struggled with injury last season but still has some quality experience at the beginning and end of season. Kelleher has a full year of experience under his belt. Same for Wirtheim who is a senior now. Lombardi has been with the team for forever, albeit with some injury troubles. Those guys are all experienced and represent most of the offensive core. Think the offense will make the UAlbany game look like a freak occurrence as the season goes on, having no lax in 2021 means less reps than most their age, but would not call them "very inexperienced."
Although Foy used the term "inexperienced offense" in connection with the absence of Long, "inexperienced attack" may have been more accurate. Until the coaches made the smart adjustment of bumping Coyle to attack, Cornell was playing Piatelli and Perfetto--an upperclassman who had previously gotten little playing time and a freshman. Beyond experience, Long has an otherwise missing skill set-- a true x attack who can assist or dodge to the goal, and who makes everybody around him better.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”