Coaching Carousel D3 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
laxdad1434

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by laxdad1434 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:40 am
backerzone wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:11 am Stevens is probably one pf the few D3 schools that pays a living wage for an assistant. They have had several go on to head jobs- ,Koch, Odierna,Madalon come to mind just in the past few years.
Stevens assistant pays 35k in Hoboken, NJ. If you plan on living in a box you could say it’s liveable.
He probably didn't live Hoboken, but 35k anywhere in state of NJ is impossible.
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

backerzone wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:11 am Stevens is probably one pf the few D3 schools that pays a living wage for an assistant. They have had several go on to head jobs- ,Koch, Odierna,Madalon come to mind just in the past few years.
Stevens assistant pays 35k in Hoboken, NJ. If you plan on living in a box you could say it’s liveable.
Keep in mind that is what some Head Coaches are making across the country. While 35K in metro NYC isn't nearly enough. For the job on paper (D3 Assistant Lacrosse Coach) it is enough, given what a young Assistant Coach can make on the Camp/clinic circuit.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

SneaksBeac wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:13 am
Keep in mind that is what some Head Coaches are making across the country. While 35K in metro NYC isn't nearly enough. For the job on paper (D3 Assistant Lacrosse Coach) it is enough, given what a young Assistant Coach can make on the Camp/clinic circuit.
Really? Maybe you can educate me on just how much an assistant coach can make on the side? These schools are making good money on the backs of these assistants who go out and recruit, it’s time to pay them a living wage.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:45 am
Really? Maybe you can educate me on just how much an assistant coach can make on the side? These schools are making good money on the backs of these assistants who go out and recruit, it’s time to pay them a living wage.
It's a part/time job. The head coach only makes $70k, and probably teaches at a local HS/college. My sons coach does.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Historically its been written that Stevens pays Peluso one of the highest D3 HC salaries due to location. Not every school has this option and I would argue that on avg most D3 HC make between $45-60K a year and most assistants are $5-25K a year. The assistant range has a massive gap depending on the size of the staff.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

It’s very different everywhere. There are paid D3 assistants making anywhere from $5k-$70k. And D3 head coaches making anywhere from $20k-$130k.

A hard working assistant can supplement that through camps, clubs, and private instruction and make anywhere from $5k-$20k more.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:38 pm
It’s very different everywhere. There are paid D3 assistants making anywhere from $5k-$70k. And D3 head coaches making anywhere from $20k-$130k.

A hard working assistant can supplement that through camps, clubs, and private instruction and make anywhere from $5k-$20k more.
I couldn't agree more and I know this from first hand experience. If you truly want to carve out a career in the D3 coaching landscape you need to swallow your financial pride and make some sacrifices. The biggest misconception is parents thinking the coaches make a ton of money because of how much the school costs. Most D3 institutions do not value athletics and simply use them for admissions #'s. You have to give each and every coach respect for the sacrifices they make.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Congrats to the USILA coaches of the year.

Head coach winner Derek Witherford, Union.

Assistant coach winner Marcel Godino, Union

Other announced finalists for D3 ACOY:

Christian Klipstein, Dickinson
Taylor Mendoza, W&L
Stephen Toomey, Tufts
Matt Whitcher, York
Shawn Wilkins, RIT
Last edited by InsiderRoll on Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:24 pm Historically its been written that Stevens pays Peluso one of the highest D3 HC salaries due to location. Not every school has this option and I would argue that on avg most D3 HC make between $45-60K a year and most assistants are $5-25K a year. The assistant range has a massive gap depending on the size of the staff.
I bet Stevens not having to fund football helps as well.Lacrosse is a major sport there. But there is little camp money to be made in Hoboken- I imagine when he was at RIT the camp money was major.
And add to his tree Pete Milliman, Brendan Gorman , Shawn Rosa and Brian Anken. I imagine there will be no shortage of applicants for this job.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:38 pm

I think your estimate is pretty friendly, my experience has been an extra 5k-7k for a D3 assistant if you really hustle.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

River Donkey wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:04 pm I think your estimate is pretty friendly, my experience has been an extra 5k-7k for a D3 assistant if you really hustle.
Seems about right. Even if you include (2) prospect days, you arent getting a ton at most D3 schools. Being a field director at the events or coaching a team and picking the all star team will help with networking but usually pays $100-$300 a gig. Hustling can get you what, 20 gigs a summer and maybe 10 in the fall?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

There is a reason so many young guys leave the profession. Most of them realize it's not sustainable to raise a family on that kind of money and time away (unless they have a working spouse who makes a decent wage). Great side gig while they figure out what they want to do....but hopefully they take the advice that they give the kids they coach and put their degree to use.

Say what you will...but a good part time assistant who has his hand in other things brings valuable perspective to a program. Takes a special person and situation to be able to do that though..
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:04 am
River Donkey wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:04 pm I think your estimate is pretty friendly, my experience has been an extra 5k-7k for a D3 assistant if you really hustle.
Seems about right. Even if you include (2) prospect days, you arent getting a ton at most D3 schools. Being a field director at the events or coaching a team and picking the all star team will help with networking but usually pays $100-$300 a gig. Hustling can get you what, 20 gigs a summer and maybe 10 in the fall?
Once again it depends where you coach.

Prospect day or 80 kids should pay out each assistant around $2k, HC who owns LLC about $5k

Coach a club team you can make $3500-$7000/year. Work several events. Only take high paying ones. $450-$1000. Find a 3 night overnight. $800.

You can get to $20k by taking a job with a head coach who runs a large camp like Endicott or formerly Amherst and Springfield. Those coaches pay their assistants anywhere from $10k-$16k to run those 350-500 kid camps.

Should also be noted that the type of school you work for matters. Assistants from NESCAC and W&L can make significantly more and get paid closer to D1 assistants because of the name brand. So a NESCAC assistant might get offered $800 to be somewhere and York assistant gets offered $400 - sometimes $0. Parents with money want high academic schools places and will pay for it.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:38 am

Prospect day or 80 kids should pay out each assistant around $2k, HC who owns LLC about $5k

You can get to $20k by taking a job with a head coach who runs a large camp like Endicott or formerly Amherst and Springfield. Those coaches pay their assistants anywhere from $10k-$16k to run those 350-500 kid camps.
While I don't fully disagree, ask yourself of the 250 or so DIII coaching/assistant coaching jobs in this country, how many is that applicable to? Less than 10%? Maybe at or above 5%? It is the exception and not the rule for most of those guys and they all strongly have to scrape and hustle to get by. D1 (and some D2) assistants are also filling these camps and spots as well.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:58 pm

While I don't fully disagree, ask yourself of the 250 or so DIII coaching/assistant coaching jobs in this country, how many is that applicable to? Less than 10%? Maybe at or above 5%? It is the exception and not the rule for most of those guys and they all strongly have to scrape and hustle to get by. D1 (and some D2) assistants are also filling these camps and spots as well.
It’s definitely a small amount. You’re right the majority of guys make a few thousand extra. A few can make the money I described. I believe my original post said $5k-$20k. Much like the there are a few D3 coaches paid six figures, it’s the exception, not the rule.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:10 pm
Leonard Washington wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:58 pm

It’s definitely a small amount. You’re right the majority of guys make a few thousand extra. A few can make the money I described. I believe my original post said $5k-$20k. Much like the there are a few D3 coaches paid six figures, it’s the exception, not the rule.
Yes sir, this man speaks the truth.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

At most institutions the school provides housing and a meal plan. So at least assistant coaches don't have those expenses. Not saying that assistant coaches are paid what they deserve, but for teams like Stevens the standard of living is less of an obstacle with those expenses accounted for
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 am At most institutions the school provides housing and a meal plan. So at least assistant coaches don't have those expenses. Not saying that assistant coaches are paid what they deserve, but for teams like Stevens the standard of living is less of an obstacle with those expenses accounted for
Housing? Moving costs maybe...but housing? Where would that be?
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

The reality of D3 assistant and a good majority of head coach salaries are significantly low compared to real life careers. There's a good majority of D3 coaches that are making in the 30s or 40s for full time roles as a head coach. Assistant coaching salaries have a wide wide pay disparity, while some are making under 4k a year there are some D3 assistants making in the high 30s low 40s all the way up to 50 or 60 depending on the institution. Those higher paying roles obviously come with additional institutional responsibilities. The lower paying jobs are often "part-time" but the reality is that a lot of these younger assistants are in the office for a majority of the season and will take on lighter work outside of coaching to help get by - you want to be in the office and take on responsibility to learn as much as possible. I would agree that the pay is light considering that a lot of these coaches are responsible for recruiting prospective SAs to these smaller colleges, where a high % of the students are athletes. A good chunk of these colleges do provide housing and that's a massive benefit, not having to pay for housing is a massive benefit for someone making a below minimum wage salary. These are often times older or nicer college houses adjacent or on the college campus itself. Meals are also great but those are less common than housing, which I feel like is counterintuitive considering how mass produced college food is but alas. Just trying to share some info as a former D3 assistant. Also, I know this might've come off as semi-complaining but it's also the best job in the world.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 am At most institutions the school provides housing and a meal plan. So at least assistant coaches don't have those expenses. Not saying that assistant coaches are paid what they deserve, but for teams like Stevens the standard of living is less of an obstacle with those expenses accounted for
Where do you get your information from? Some offer housing and meals but that comes with stipend usually under 10k. This is not offered from Stevens.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”