Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxmaninamillion

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:18 pm I think what loyola2025 was saying is that the importance of developing players and putting them into meaningful situations. I went back and watch the Duke game and he was correct that Donowski played his third line in a critical situation. He has a point.

Second, in regards of returning players, I have not heard that all the close D are coming back... I believe Hughes is a grad student and I dont believe he has any eligibility. could be wrong. Leblanc is a grad student also, I believe this is his 5th year also.

Bateman and Seay are healthy, MVA just did not play them, not sure why

Agree with most, except PB, not sure what team will show up. Loyola opponents are 29-16, while Bucknell's are 16-29.
Agree. Binney is great when given the chance. Rest of second group of middies has produced nothing in the six games to date and didn’t produce last year for the most part. Up 12-3 was a great chance to see what some of these young kids could do they clearly couldn’t have done worse than they guys who played and threw the ball away four times in last four minutes.

Clearly Toomey/Van don’t have confidence in the freshmen class since they haven’t played a minute this year.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:10 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:18 pm I think what loyola2025 was saying is that the importance of developing players and putting them into meaningful situations. I went back and watch the Duke game and he was correct that Donowski played his third line in a critical situation. He has a point.

Second, in regards of returning players, I have not heard that all the close D are coming back... I believe Hughes is a grad student and I dont believe he has any eligibility. could be wrong. Leblanc is a grad student also, I believe this is his 5th year also.

Agree with most, except PB, not sure what team will show up. Loyola opponents are 29-16, while Bucknell's are 16-29.
Agree. Binney is great when given the chance. Rest of second group of middies has produced nothing in the six games to date and didn’t produce last year for the most part. Up 12-3 was a great chance to see what some of these young kids could do they clearly couldn’t have done worse than they guys who played and threw the ball away four times in last four minutes.

Clearly Toomey/Van don’t have confidence in the freshmen class since they haven’t played a minute this year.

I think you’re being too harsh on the coaches. Being up 12-3 on duke isn’t exactly a comfort zone, and the other games there has been no opportunity. This is a senior heavy team, and for now, it’s do or die every minute of every game.

I’m predicting you’ll see some liberal substitutions in several games this year; I spy a few we should (hopefully) win handily.

And if god forbid we lose a few, you’ll definitely see those substitutions sooner rather than later. For now, let’s win out in the PL, get the first seed in the tourney, and then get in the NCAA. Sitting on the bench is no fun, but winning the Natty makes up for it. And you can’t win the Natty unless the entire team buys in.

One game at a time for now. Bucknell next up. Focus. Effort.
Laxmaninamillion

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:18 pm

I think you’re being too harsh on the coaches. Being up 12-3 on duke isn’t exactly a comfort zone, and the other games there has been no opportunity. This is a senior heavy team, and for now, it’s do or die every minute of every game.

I’m predicting you’ll see some liberal substitutions in several games this year; I spy a few we should (hopefully) win handily.

And if god forbid we lose a few, you’ll definitely see those substitutions sooner rather than later. For now, let’s win out in the PL, get the first seed in the tourney, and then get in the NCAA. Sitting on the bench is no fun, but winning the Natty makes up for it. And you can’t win the Natty unless the entire team buys in.

Of course and while I have no horse in the race till next year I wonder. Ther are two 4 star middie freshmen, one who was ranked the only Loyola kid in the top 100 and they get zero play time in spite of the shortcomings of the second line middies. Makes no sense to me. Hopefully things change next year when my kid is there.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Of course and while I have no horse in the race till next year I wonder. Ther are two 4 star middie freshmen, one who was ranked the only Loyola kid in the top 100 and they get zero play time in spite of the shortcomings of the second line middies. Makes no sense to me. Hopefully things change next year when my kid is there.
I think we have to subdue the correlation between star rating and playing time. Rankings are subjective but the kids have to earn the playing time in games by impressing and supplanting the other starters in practice. Keep in mind this is a very senior/graduate student laden team where alot have played meaningful minutes in big games.

It does not matter if you are a 3 star 4 star or 5 star kid in this program. You still have to earn your playing time.

One of the four stars you referenced was even quoted in an interview stating that he wants to get meaningful minutes in his sophomore year because he knows how difficult it is for freshman to get any PT unless you are just a dynamite player or a key member of the starters gets injured.

On the topic of your son and the 22 class, this is an absolutely loaded class and I really think they can contribute. If you want to know more of my thoughts on this particular class because I’m super excited on the potential of the attackman in this group feel free to DM
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

I agree one game at a time. But there are no easy games based on how we played against Lafayette. There does not seem to be a killer instinct with this team. And it is on the starters for not finishing off teams to allow others to play
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm

I agree one game at a time. But there are no easy games based on how we played against Lafayette. There does not seem to be a killer instinct with this team. And it is on the starters for not finishing off teams to allow others to play

Let’s check in after tomorrow. I’m feeling good about the boys. They’re locked in and hungry to prove you wrong. It all starts with Bailey, then McNulty, then Sam. Everything else takes care of itself. Let’s go!!!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Player rankings have nothing to do with playing time in college and outside of maybe the top 20 players, the next 150 - 200 are almost interchangeable IMO. Rankings are biased and often based on who’s seen where and at what events. Player ranked at 150 can be just as good as player ranked at say 50-60-70....

As you all know recruiting is an inexact science...each class takes about 10-12 kids and of those kids, only a small handful if any play as freshman...and if the team is already junior and senior laden, it’s hard to break through as a freshman unless you are elite...a lot of it is timing. Going from high school to college is a massive jump. Top 100 recruits flame out just like recruits ranked lower or not ranked...

If there is any staff I trust in America with regards to talent evaluation it’s Loyola’s. They are very good.

The other factor in play here still is the Covid year. Don’t forget the impact that has...Olmstead, Lindley, and Wigley on offense would be gone right now...same as McNulty and a couple other poles. Huge factor. That’s 3-4-5-6 spots that would be open to younger guys on the roster. If your wondering why freshman are not playing, that’s a big factor that probably goes a long with they’re not doing enough to earn trust to get on the field.

I feel pretty comfortable that the staff is playing the best players. It’s hard to make the roster on these teams...it’s even harder to get on the field.

Hopefully we keep getting better and healthier and make a run in the PL. I say we see how tomorrow goes and hopefully we’re talking about a win and more improvement across the board

Tomorrow is a big big game. Need to win face offs, need goaltending to be at 50% and need to be efficient on offense. Put it all together for 60 minutes.

Go hounds!!
Laxmaninamillion

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:05 pm Player rankings have nothing to do with playing time in college and outside of maybe the top 20 players, the next 150 - 200 are almost interchangeable IMO. Rankings are biased and often based on who’s seen where and at what events. Player ranked at 150 can be just as good as player ranked at say 50-60-70....

As you all know recruiting is an inexact science...each class takes about 10-12 kids and of those kids, only a small handful if any play as freshman...and if the team is already junior and senior laden, it’s hard to break through as a freshman unless you are elite...a lot of it is timing. Going from high school to college is a massive jump. Top 100 recruits flame out just like recruits ranked lower or not ranked...

If there is any staff I trust in America with regards to talent evaluation it’s Loyola’s. They are very good.

The other factor in play here still is the Covid year. Don’t forget the impact that has...Olmstead, Lindley, and Wigley on offense would be gone right now...same as McNulty and a couple other poles. Huge factor. That’s 3-4-5-6 spots that would be open to younger guys on the roster. If your wondering why freshman are not playing, that’s a big factor that probably goes a long with they’re not doing enough to earn trust to get on the field.

I feel pretty comfortable that the staff is playing the best players. It’s hard to make the roster on these teams...it’s even harder to get on the field.

Hopefully we keep getting better and healthier and make a run in the PL. I say we see how tomorrow goes and hopefully we’re talking about a win and more improvement across the board

Tomorrow is a big big game. Need to win face offs, need goaltending to be at 50% and need to be efficient on offense. Put it all together for 60 minutes.

Go hounds!!
Agree with the ranking stuff but come on. It’s not like 27,14,11, 13 and 4 have done anything. Two goals in blow out loss to Md and one since between all of them. 6 games and almost nothing. Maybe that’s why we fold in fourth quarter every game. Maybe top line is getting too many minutes due to second line’s lack of productivity. Just don’t understand why so many other top programs have freshmen playing regularly but we have none. Either coaches don’t trust them or they’re not good or both. Either way it’s an issue. Let’s hope things get turned around quickly. One of the reasons my kid chose Loyola was because they were a perennial top 10 team.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Wow. Navy takes down Hopkins. Another team that we have to worry about.

And in regards to rankings. There is some relevance to the rankings. Maryland had more ranked players then we did and they crushed us.

But on any given day… anyone can win. Ask Duke.

It is about depth and talent and what coaches get out of their players. There is a reason we are 2-4. I believe it falls in the coaches. Three of those games we should have won. They did not get the most out of their players. It was not that Rutgers Hopkins and Towson were better than us. We list those games. They did. It out play us and win them.

It will be close tomorrow. But Loyola wins by 4
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:50 pm
Agree with the ranking stuff but come on. It’s not like 27,14,11, 13 and 4 have done anything. Two goals in blow out loss to Md and one since between all of them. 6 games and almost nothing. Maybe that’s why we fold in fourth quarter every game. Maybe top line is getting too many minutes due to second line’s lack of productivity. Just don’t understand why so many other top programs have freshmen playing regularly but we have none. Either coaches don’t trust them or they’re not good or both. Either way it’s an issue. Let’s hope things get turned around quickly. One of the reasons my kid chose Loyola was because they were a perennial top 10 team.
Your points are valid, and moreover, you have a lot invested emotionally, as your son has made a once-in-a-lifetime commitment to attend Loyola. (Huge congrats to you and your son, BTW.) There's no simple answer to the questions you raise, but as someone who has followed this program for close to 40 years, I can tell you that there are a lot of individual story lines regarding the players you're calling out. Some may be playing through injury, some may be in a slump, and as you suggest, some may be in over their heads. While it's difficult and painful to watch at times, I can tell you that this coaching staff is exceptionally talented at managing through the challenges and finding success.

There have been countless times when a player has gone down with an injury, or a suspension, or a star lost to graduation, and my first thought was: well, there goes the season, but then an unheralded player stepped up and delivered. The players you're not seeing on the field today are developing into our next stars behind the scenes. In many years of watching Loyola lacrosse, in my experience it has been a much more frequent occurrence to see an upperclassman step out of the shadows and be a star than to see a highly-touted freshman garner significant playing time. Sure, occasionally freshmen do step into the limelight, and Lindley and Olmstead are prime examples, but much more often players work their way into the lineup more gradually.

I sincerely hope this isn't discouraging to you or your son (plus, I'm just some guy on the Internet, so why listen to me anyway?). But in my experience, this has been a proven recipe for more than a decade. So, while just like everyone else, I struggle with an 0-4 start where so many glaring issues were evident from a veteran squad, I trust that the coaches know what they are doing. The Duke win was certainly an encouraging omen. There's no telling how this season will play out, but I'm fairly confident that you and your son won't have any regrets about your decision.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Here’s where the rankings don’t tell the whole story. How many of those guys were reclassified? They become 4* by playing against kids up to 2yrs younger than them. Then they get on campus & have to play against men. Doesn’t always turnout well.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

I fear someone is going to have a painful experience learning the difference between high end D1 men’s lax and HS. I think tomorrow will be a great game. Like the Bison by 2-3…great PL win tonight for the Mids!! 2 straight PL wins vs BIG
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:46 pm

Let’s check in after tomorrow. I’m feeling good about the boys. They’re locked in and hungry to prove you wrong. It all starts with Bailey, then McNulty, then Sam. Everything else takes care of itself. Let’s go!!!

Yeah boys!!!!!

Breakout game for Higgins!!!! Bailey and Sam did great!!

Onward. One game at a time right now.
Laxmaninamillion

Nice win today!!! Second line of mid’s contributed two goals. Really like Binney’s game. Was worried there whe it went from up 5-3 to down 8-5 but they road out the quarter and stopped throwing the ball away. Schafer made some big saves.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:50 pm Nice win today!!! Second line of mid’s contributed two goals. Really like Binney’s game. Was worried there whe it went from up 5-3 to down 8-5 but they road out the quarter and stopped throwing the ball away. Schafer made some big saves.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

A good win. Good to come from behind and win. Played a strong second half

But there are still some glaring holes.

1. Turnovers. Too many unforced. This will kill us against a good team
2. Close d played welll. Still allowing offensive players getting top side. Nothing good happens when this occurs.

3, Savio played well. He has no help from his wings. It is win it yourself or lose it.

4. Shaffer played well. Seeing the balll

5. Lindley. Needs to finish shots. Should have been an 8-10 goal win.

Bucknell was an average to below average team. We allowed them to think they could compete.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Really good win today. League win

Not gonna over analyze it. Our best finisher and pure goal scorer went 0-9 shooting and many were point blank goals that he makes 90% of the time. If he connects on 30-40% we win this going away. That’s where I am on this game

And BTW, Kevin is a stud, he was phenomenal last week, he’s had a great career...so my analysis is by no means calling out Kevin. He’s a stud...he just had one of those days....if he doesn’t, we blow out Bucknell.

Liked the grit when we got down 3...we scored 6 straight and the defense dialed it up late

Congrats and go Hounds!!!!
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Agree lots of grit. And Lindley is a stud just an off day. Bucknell defense was Lindley will not beat us, they locked down the crease.

We do need to tighten up our d. Wyers is an absolute stud.

Not sure why a d middle is shooting at a critical time in the game. Sally”s shot turned into a goal. Huge mental mistake and selfish.

Again where is Seay and Bateman? This has been 2-3 games now with no playtime
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Give credit to bucknell because they played extremely hard, and that’s a very dangerous team for the next coming years considering how young they are. Their goalie played fantastic (who would’ve imagined stoning Lindley’s 8 shots including a one on one??) that Connor Davis kid is talented and will get better with years to come. He could be their next Will Sands type of player

Yesterday was not a great looking win but it is a win regardless. Some of the points I noted was that the offensive ball movement was really well and zipped from each player. It looked like a good majority of the offensive sets resulted in good looks which unfortunately the goalie stopped. Bailey broke the record and got hot down the stretch but I have to disagree with laxbro because there were a couple of scraps that the wings won when Bailey could not. This was sams best game as a goalie and he should be the starter for the rest of the season.

Would love to discuss this but I actually didn’t mind Sally’s shot attempt. He was in transition, the defense wasn’t settled and he changed planes on an overhead shot. Obviously the goalie saved it but why are we kind of pegging him for this choice when Razanka also has the green light to shoot? Granted, Payton has scored some goals but why not allow more short sticks to take the chance when they see an opportunity?

The defense played well yesterday and but had some lapses (that’s going to happen to every team)

Last thought is this team showed their mental grit in the 2nd half. They could’ve easily folded or had doubt creep in their minds being down by 3 to start the third but the come from behind win was impressive.

On to army next week. A very very crucial game as they lost to Lehigh last week. An opportunity to pick up a top 20 win and 2nd place in the PL standings.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 am Give credit to bucknell because they played extremely hard, and that’s a very dangerous team for the next coming years considering how young they are. Their goalie played fantastic (who would’ve imagined stoning Lindley’s 8 shots including a one on one??) that Connor Davis kid is talented and will get better with years to come. He could be their next Will Sands type of player

Yesterday was not a great looking win but it is a win regardless. Some of the points I noted was that the offensive ball movement was really well and zipped from each player. It looked like a good majority of the offensive sets resulted in good looks which unfortunately the goalie stopped. Bailey broke the record and got hot down the stretch but I have to disagree with laxbro because there were a couple of scraps that the wings won when Bailey could not. This was sams best game as a goalie and he should be the starter for the rest of the season.

Would love to discuss this but I actually didn’t mind Sally’s shot attempt. He was in transition, the defense wasn’t settled and he changed planes on an overhead shot. Obviously the goalie saved it but why are we kind of pegging him for this choice when Razanka also has the green light to shoot? Granted, Payton has scored some goals but why not allow more short sticks to take the chance when they see an opportunity?

The defense played well yesterday and but had some lapses (that’s going to happen to every team)

Last thought is this team showed their mental grit in the 2nd half. They could’ve easily folded or had doubt creep in their minds being down by 3 to start the third but the come from behind win was impressive.

On to army next week. A very very crucial game as they lost to Lehigh last week. An opportunity to pick up a top 20 win and 2nd place in the PL standings.
Agree with most of what you say, but Sallys shot hit the goalie in the chest, easy save, they transition and score a goal in the second bringing the score to 5-4 loyola. Get the offense in score and it is 6-3, who knows we pull away and blow them out.

Shafer 13 saves, awesome

Glaring problems 18 turnovers, shooting percentage was better 32%, but many of the Bucknells goalies saves hit him square in the chest. And Lindley had to hit him 4-5 times in the chest. It wasnt like the goalie was like goalie was made great saves, Lindley just did not bury his shots. He had an off day.

We also crushed them in the GB dept. 42-30, we had that many more opportunities and we didnt

I know we have not had many opportunities with man down D, but that was way too easy... caught ball watching on the crease

I still do not see the greatness of Binney and Davis over Seay and Bateman... Binney has a great shot, but there is more than that on offense.

Lapses on defense, these same lapses occur every game, by the same players... I see Laxmaninamillion is saying, players make the same mistakes week in and week out, while other players watch. It has been said previously it is what you do in practice, but it is what you do in games that counts. Giving up topside, not sliding, nor communicating will be exploited by better teams at crunch time. The same with our same experienced players turning the ball over.

This team can be so much better than it is, we have a solid coaching staff, Toomey has that killer instinct, you can see when he coaches, he is emotional and intense. Watch the body language of our players vs other teams next time you are at a game, it can be very telling. But that comes down to coaching and this team should be 6-1 with the only loss to the juggernaut Maryland and those three losses fall on the coaches.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”