sc lax

Re: Towson

Post by sc lax »

Neverplaydown wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:17 pm PM= Private Message
I did not get one from you it looks like
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Evan Long gets the start, but Koby Smith is out.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Holy Smokes. Evan Long with 9 saves in the first quarter. He's been incredible. Up 4-1 late in the first quarter.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Long has 14 saves. Towson up 7-3 at the half. Great first quarter. Decent second quarter. Shilling and DeMaio with two goals apiece. Face-offs are still a problem with Constantinides winning 3 of 12.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I guess that was why Long was highly rated coming into
Towson,

I hadn’t followed Long at McDonogh,
but I’m guessing this was his thing,
he’s capable of big save games.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

If they only played one half, we'd be a good team. But alas they don't. Game is now 7-6. Long not as sharp. No face-off wins. Nads had not made one change at the X. Might be time.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Up 8-7 after three quarter. Blew a four quarter lead and it was tied. But Josh Webber with the big goal to put Towson up by one heading into the fourth quarter. Need the ball and better shot selection on offense,
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No way a goalie is going to maintain 80% save percent for an entire game.
Not in DI.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Another winnable game against a very beatable team and they can't capitalize. This team is so frustrating, way too may stretches without any goals. You get that many saves from your goalie, you need to score. The shooting still hasn't improved and they settle at times too early in the shot clock. Looking like Delaware's league to lose this year, but can't make that determination until CAA games are actually played. Something needs to change with this team though, they just don't play complete games.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Outshot 52-37. You can't have that. 31 shots on goal against a backup goaltender who kept them in the gmae. Not having Koby Smith didn't help, but it goes back to face-offs. Constantinides won just 6 of 25. He did not use Santora. Just puzzling to me, the lack of adjustments. Sure, Jack Hannah went nuts with 6 goals on 14 shots. Can't let him do that. Just like last week against O'Neill. But again, we rarely had the ball in the second half because we can't win draws. So shot selection needs to better. EMO has to be better. Think Chop Gallagher needs to play more. Milani rarely plays now. He was the third midfielder with Ducommun and Gallagher. Berkeley is just getting shut down, as teams are doubling him and taking away his right hand. They are taking away DeMaio's left and he's shooting right and not finishing.

At least they played better than last week and Long did have 19 saves.
Last edited by Math1234 on Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:04 pm Another winnable game against a very beatable team and they can't capitalize. This team is so frustrating, way too may stretches without any goals. You get that many saves from your goalie, you need to score. The shooting still hasn't improved and they settle at times too early in the shot clock. Looking like Delaware's league to lose this year, but can't make that determination until CAA games are actually played. Something needs to change with this team though, they just don't play complete games.
If they won 50% of their face-offs instead of 38%, you'd see different results. Of course, they go long stretches without goals because the other team is playing make-it-take-it or we take a bad, quick shot and they score on the other. But I agree that it's Delaware's league to lose.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:11 pm
sc lax wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:04 pm Another winnable game against a very beatable team and they can't capitalize. This team is so frustrating, way too may stretches without any goals. You get that many saves from your goalie, you need to score. The shooting still hasn't improved and they settle at times too early in the shot clock. Looking like Delaware's league to lose this year, but can't make that determination until CAA games are actually played. Something needs to change with this team though, they just don't play complete games.
If they won 50% of their face-offs instead of 38%, you'd see different results. Of course, they go long stretches without goals because the other team is playing make-it-take-it or we take a bad, quick shot and they score on the other. But I agree that it's Delaware's league to lose.
No doubt there would be more possessions, but look at some of the shots today - point blank and can't convert. The shooting just needs to improve, it has been an issue for a while. Far too many stick side high shots and shots right at the goalies body.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Team just doesn't know how to win. Unfortunately, to learn how to win you have to...win. Which they're not doing. I don't think they're that far away but with COVID and a lot of the guys on those great 2017, 2019 teams now in the rear view mirror, not a lot of guys on the field who have experience putting games away and beating great teams

CAA is open as always. No reason they can't win it. Let's see how it goes.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Long is playing outstanding. He’s not reason team, lost
harflax

Post by harflax »

You go 6-25 on faceoffs and it is extremely difficult to win. If Towson were even below average at faceoffs they would have wins vs Denver, Richmond and maybe even Duke. This is a three year problem that I now the coaches have worked hard on solving, but unfortunately have not been able to do so
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

harflax wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:29 pm You go 6-25 on faceoffs and it is extremely difficult to win. If Towson were even below average at faceoffs they would have wins vs Denver, Richmond and maybe even Duke. This is a three year problem that I now the coaches have worked hard on solving, but unfortunately have not been able to do so
Hard work is fine, but find someone who can face-off. That's a coach's job. Not just to coach, but to recruit. A transfer has been needed for three years now. That's on one person. Relying on a freshman against some of the best face-off men in the country ain't working.

Speaking of recruiting, we went to the FF in 2017 and instead of finding some blue chippers, we're filing our offense with transfers. Who has come up as freshmen to replace homegrown guys like Joe Seider, Mike Lynch, Brendan Sunday, and Ryan Drenner? Milani? He's been benched. Reid? Webber? Swain? Their solid players, but the dominant players on offense are Maryland and Hopkins transfers. Recruiting has to get better or else...
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Offense disappeared sometimes, it it all comes down to Face offs. 40 percent, even 36 , and we win last 2 games. Greatest thing is it’s a new season, starting Monday. Boys should be landing soon. CAA is now one bid, I really thought they would fair better. I see it as 3 team fight. U Mass, tigers and Delaware. Fairfield I think will be 4. Drexel not doing anything, and Pride is bottom feeder.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Don’t you have Weisshaar coming in next year ?

Some good talent in the prior two classes,
but,
Zach Goodrich’s don’t just fall of trees.

Those 2016-2017 players aren’t falling through the cracks
any more, or at least not nearly as much.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:37 pm Don’t you have Weisshaar coming in next year ?

Some good talent in the prior two classes,
but,
Zach Goodrich’s don’t just fall of trees.

Those 2016-2017 players aren’t falling through the cracks
any more, or at least not nearly as much.
Yes, he is perhaps the biggest recruit they have ever gotten out of the MIAA - he should definitely provide an impact. In a lot of ways early recruiting benefited Towson, Goodrich was not highly recruited out of HS if memory serves. But this current team has players, they just need to figure out how to mix it up at the X and get some more possessions.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

This team has given up 6 goals to a player in 4 of 6 losses. Denver’s Jack Hannah was on everyone’s preseason AA list He had 6 goals yesterday. Last week ONeil had 6 goals for Duke. My point don’t let the best players beat you! After 3 goals, don’t you say - hey maybe we should play him tight? Hannahs goals were scored from the weak side being left unguarded or late slides. He is a player you target.

Milani is a sophomore with potential. He was productive with Alvanzato last year on attack. Shilling is fine, but more of a complimentary player. Milani can create, dodge, feed, and will not shy away from being a ball carrier. And, he is a 4 yr recruit that will only get better. Shilling should play, and is a nice addition. But he is a 5th yr/ 1 yr guy @ Towson. Maybe try rotating 2-3 Attackman. Everyone else subs out the box every 20 seconds, why can’t the attack?

Faceoffs are a problem. However, they have gone up vs the very best fogos in D1. When you are losing 60% my adjustment would be to change up the personnel. Go man1 for 2, man 2 for 2, long pole for 2. When you do that you are least trying to disrupt the rhythm of these top fogos. Id give Drew Martin a shot. He has a good stick w size and possibly help w ground balls after the whistle. At least the CAA is not loaded w fogos this year, that’s a positive.

Evan Long was 60% vs Denver. And, vs Duke he was 75% in the first half . Right now he is the best goalie on the roster, and his potential is enough to keep him as the starter. Brennan could get some opportunities later on.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”