Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
smoova

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by smoova »

Cooter wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:01 am Because fans start using it against UMd, saying things like "I don't know why recruits sign with UMd when Tillman brings in transfers to replace them".
This is something every strong 2021/2022/2023 recruit is already thinking about every school that is actively working the transfer portal.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Do you think there would be as many transfers if lacrosse players had to sit out a year?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That above development just shows that whichever school taking advantage of the current transfer situation versus other schools, wasn’t much of an argument to begin with.
calourie wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:23 am It just got harder to be a Yale fan, and still a critic of transfers with the recent indication that TD Ierlan will be the exception to Yale's no fifth year option for its' athletes because in the process of his transfer to Yale he wasn't accorded credit for all his UAlbany courses and thus needs another semester to complete his studies. Do I feel sorry for his talented understudy Joe Neumann? Yes and to a great extent, but not to the extent that I'm not thoroughly delighted that TD is coming back for a 5th season. That's the self interest paradox in this discussion.
This piece though is very interesting.
Is the Ierlan case a precedent, or was it already out there, established ?

Personally, I’m glad he’s back, one of the best there ever was.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:31 am TX twitter
transfer Jared Fernandez, a starting LSM for @CuseMLAX, just let me know that he’ll be joining @JHUmenslacrosse for his final two years of eligibility. Great addition for the Jays in the middle of the field
Excellent pickup for Hopkins and Coach Milliman!

From what I have read and briefly seen, Fernandez is a groundball machine and an athletic LSM who can cause turnovers. Should really help out on faceoffs and D. Just what the doctor ordered. ;)

https://cuse.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/r ... ndez/19041

Welcome, Jared!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Updating HopFan16's list

Albany - Davis Diamond (attack/midfield), Isaiah Skidders (attack), Teioshontathe McComber (attack)
Bellarmine - Morgan Macko (attack)
Boston University - Max Tetreault (FOGO)
Bryant - David DeMartino (defense)—>Trinity
Brown - Ryan Finlay (defense)
Bucknell - Will Yorke (attack), Connor Shears (defense), Hunter Newman (LSM), Grayson Burns (attack), Matt Fedorjaka (midfield)
Canisius - Cade Talbert (goalie)
Colgate - Griffin Brown (attack/midfield) —> Maryland, Nicky Petkevich (attack), Parker Baddley (LSM), John Donahue (defense), Cooper Belanger (midfield), Jesse Rosenblatt (attack)
Furman - Luke Majick (midfield), Alec van de Bovenkamp (goalie)x->OSU, Luke Muter (defense)
Hartford - Cullin Walsh (goalie)
Harvard - Myles Hamm (attack), Beau Botkiss (defense), Austin Madronic (attack)*, Nigel Andrews (midfield)
Hobart - Sam Lucchesi (goalie), PJ Delpha (defense), Eric Holden (attack)—>Maryland, Justin Scott (A/M)
Hampton - Ian Groom(FO)
Hofstra - Whit Stopak (attack), Ryan Kinnard (midfield), Eric Wenz (defense)—>OSU, Nick Williams (attack)
Holy Cross - Justin Lynskey (attack), Sean Mullaney (midfield), Dan O'Connell(FO)—>Duke
Hopkins - Jack Rapine (defense), Alex Gainey (goalie), Cole Williams (attack), Alex Concannon (midfield)
Lafayette - Beaudan Szuluk (defense)
Maryland - Dylan Pallonetti (attack/midfield)—>Stony Brook, Jack DeSantis (defense)—>OSU
Merrimack - Davis Cronin (FOGO), Charlie Bertrand (attack)
Michigan - Matt Trowbridge (goalie), Finn Goonan (LSM)
Mount St. Mary's - Evan Falkowski (midfield)
Notre Dame - Michael Farnish (Defense)
Ohio State - Josh Kirson (goalie), Christian Tomei (goalie) —>Jacksonville
Penn - Kyle Gallagher (FOGO)---> Notre Dame, Kyle Thornton (defense)--->Notre Dame
Penn State - Collin Almeida (Midfield), Brad Santore (Midfield)
Princeton - Michael Sowers (attack)—>Duke, Connor McCarthy (midfield), Phil Robertson (attack)
Providence - Sean Lahey (attack)
Richmond - Mick Burden (FO)
Robert Morris - Austin Popovich (midfield)
Rutger - Demetrius Stevenson (Midfield) —> Delaware; Zach Groff (goalie)
St. Bonaventure - John Kilcommons(attack)
St. John’s - Kyle McBride(LSM)
St. Joseph's - Mike Adler (goalie)
Syracuse - Jared Fernandez (LSM)—> Hopkins, Jacob Nelson (attack), Sean Donnelly(attack), Luke Strang (goalie), Andrew Kim (midfield), Justin Kim (midfield)
UMass - Matt Baugher (attack), Jack Geiger (Midfield)
UMass Lowell - Matt Murakami (goalie)
UMBC - Steven Cornwell (LSM)
Utah - Mac Costin (midfield), Liam Donnelly (goalie) —> Albany, Jimmy Perkins (A/M), Nick Hapney (defense)
Virginia - Xander Dickson (attack)
Vermont - Drew Lenkaitis (attack), Ben French (attack)
Wagner - Jake Garb (attack)
Yale - BJ Burlace (defense)—>MARYLAND; Jackson Morrill (attack)—>Denver, Lucas Cotler (midfield)—> Denver, Brian Ward (LSM)

* in the portal for the future 2023
Last edited by AreaLax on Sat May 09, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, talk about a good get!!! Fernandez is outstanding, that's a really tough loss for Cuse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Nassaufan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:38 am Do you think there would be as many transfers if lacrosse players had to sit out a year?
of course not. so good thing they don't.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

smoova wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 am
Cooter wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:01 am Because fans start using it against UMd, saying things like "I don't know why recruits sign with UMd when Tillman brings in transfers to replace them".
This is something every strong 2021/2022/2023 recruit is already thinking about every school that is actively working the transfer portal.
meaning most of the b1g and acc? oh well, maybe they'll get them as transfers.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:38 am Why do Maryland fans get so defensive when you point out the unassailable fact that they have had a lot of transfers? It doesn’t necessarily have to be a good or bad thing. It has picked up in the last few years and I think the jury is still out on if that has any tangible overall effect positively or negatively on the program—though either way, it is a thing that is happening. In the last two offseasons Tillman has very clearly decided to be an active participant in the transfer market, and not just for the obvious no-brainer guys. He seems to be using it to plug smaller holes to, like getting that SSDM from Cleveland State. I don’t have a problem with the philosophy. I think it’s an interesting strategy not every coach is employing. Stop acting like it’s an attack on your children by merely bringing it up.

Also kind of hard to run scared from a team you’ve beaten three times in a row but that’s just me.
Defensive? No. More like bemused. Thanks to Calourie pointing out Syracuse. I know it's hard to sift through the running list of transfers, excluding the Ivy and PL for obvious reasons, and seeing how many kids are leaving Syracuse, especially when you've already made up your mind that Maryland is the only program that has kids transfer in or out. Maryland has definitely benefitted from whatever is going on up at Syracuse with Wisnauskas and Dylan Maltz transferring back closer to home. If Desko had just played Wisnauskas as a freshman, he'd still be there.

This obviously doesn't apply to you but to others who mindlessly throw out the intellectually lazy #narrative (which they obviously use derisively). Just acknowledge that Tillman runs a better program. Every program has kids transfer out. For Maryland, they typically have 2 freshman transfer out at the end of the fall (probably based on fit with the program or the university...because, you know, lots of freshman in general transfer) and another 3 players transfer out at the end of the season (usually playing time-related). Tillman usually plugs those with incoming transfers. I guess he could leave the holes in the roster and bring in extra large freshman classes...but that leads to more transfers down the road. Maybe that's what happens at Cuse.

And Hop16, sure, you're cool with the 3 recent Hop wins over Maryland. I'll take the Final 4s every time. Enjoy your new coach. :D
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Nassaufan wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:38 am Do you think there would be as many transfers if lacrosse players had to sit out a year?
If football and basketball are any indication, yes. They still would.

You should see the transfer rates in women's basketball. It's worse than any other sport I've seen.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 am Wow, talk about a good get!!! Fernandez is outstanding, that's a really tough loss for Cuse.
The last LSM to transfer into Hopkins was also pretty good!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
smoova

Post by smoova »

wgdsr wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:52 am
smoova wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:35 am
meaning most of the b1g and acc? oh well, maybe they'll get them as transfers.
Maybe. It will be fascinating to watch this play out.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wheels wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:53 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:38 am Why do Maryland fans get so defensive when you point out the unassailable fact that they have had a lot of transfers? It doesn’t necessarily have to be a good or bad thing. It has picked up in the last few years and I think the jury is still out on if that has any tangible overall effect positively or negatively on the program—though either way, it is a thing that is happening. In the last two offseasons Tillman has very clearly decided to be an active participant in the transfer market, and not just for the obvious no-brainer guys. He seems to be using it to plug smaller holes to, like getting that SSDM from Cleveland State. I don’t have a problem with the philosophy. I think it’s an interesting strategy not every coach is employing. Stop acting like it’s an attack on your children by merely bringing it up.

Also kind of hard to run scared from a team you’ve beaten three times in a row but that’s just me.
Defensive? No. More like bemused. Thanks to Calourie pointing out Syracuse. I know it's hard to sift through the running list of transfers, excluding the Ivy and PL for obvious reasons, and seeing how many kids are leaving Syracuse, especially when you've already made up your mind that Maryland is the only program that has kids transfer in or out. Maryland has definitely benefitted from whatever is going on up at Syracuse with Wisnauskas and Dylan Maltz transferring back closer to home. If Desko had just played Wisnauskas as a freshman, he'd still be there.

This obviously doesn't apply to you but to others who mindlessly throw out the intellectually lazy #narrative (which they obviously use derisively). Just acknowledge that Tillman runs a better program. Every program has kids transfer out. For Maryland, they typically have 2 freshman transfer out at the end of the fall (probably based on fit with the program or the university...because, you know, lots of freshman in general transfer) and another 3 players transfer out at the end of the season (usually playing time-related). Tillman usually plugs those with incoming transfers. I guess he could leave the holes in the roster and bring in extra large freshman classes...but that leads to more transfers down the road. Maybe that's what happens at Cuse.

And Hop16, sure, you're cool with the 3 recent Hop wins over Maryland. I'll take the Final 4s every time. Enjoy your new coach. :D
hmm, if I understand your math, they have 4-5 transfers out each year, replaced with 4-5 transfers in.
Are there 5 other programs with that kind of movement?
3?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

While I don't know how it affects things now with players that have graduated, but I remember that Peter Lamade, after graduating, was allowed to transfer from Duke to Virginia with the ACC transfer rules being waived.

More recently, we had Jack Falk go from UVa to Duke, after graduating from UVa.
Live Free or Die!
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Former Holy Cross FOGO Dan O’Connell is officially admitted at Duke, according to a source.
2nd for Duke. Hear more on the way
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Cooter wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:50 pm While I don't know how it affects things now with players that have graduated, but I remember that Peter Lamade, after graduating, was allowed to transfer from Duke to Virginia with the ACC transfer rules being waived.

More recently, we had Jack Falk go from UVa to Duke, after graduating from UVa.
lamade's group was granted special exemption i want to say. and in between him and falk graduate football players paved the way for a new normal on grad students.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 1:35 pm Chris Jastrzembski twitter
Former Holy Cross FOGO Dan O’Connell is officially admitted at Duke, according to a source.
there go their future recruiting classes.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

This one’s kinda confusing for me. I don’t think he’s better than the guys they’ve got tbh.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:05 pm
This one’s kinda confusing for me. I don’t think he’s better than the guys they’ve got tbh.
I don't know about that. Jordan Ginder took 167 of Duke's 233 FOs this season and had a .593 win %. O'Connell took 145 of HC's 158 FOs for a .662 win %. Level of competition should be factored in but O'Connell was the statistically stronger FOGO.
Finish Strong

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”