D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cagekeeper

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by Cagekeeper »

Bart wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:53 pm
Laxinfordays wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:01 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:19 am
Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
Catherine Flaherty joins the Gators. Before Maryland: No. 13 ranked recruit by Inside Lacrosse, the highest ranked defender.
WOW! First Schettig, now Flaherty. Think it has anything to do with Thorpe? Something is going on in Turtleland. No doubt about that.

Let me get this straight...you are posting about a player who left Maryland :

The rising junior comes to the Gators from the University of Maryland, where she spent her first two collegiate seasons.

Flaherty – a Manorville, N.Y. native – saw action in four games during her collegiate career as a Terrapin.

People...take notice of the last sentence. She saw action in FOUR GAMES in her collegiate career. And that was from a team that has had defensive problems for the last two years.
Lauri Kenis(Maryland Asst) is a really good coach and has run the Maryland defense a long time. If she only put this girl on the field for FOUR games over 2 seasons, does that indicate anything?
Yes and indicates that sometimes these coaches make poor judgment calls. Or they don’t want to admit that the people they have on the fields are the wrong people. How do you not play the top ranked defender in the entire country? Or are these lists just a bunch of BS which I’ve heard people say for years. Syracuse is a perfect example of this as well. Their second mini line was not great at best and I’m hoping that KT shakes things up a little bit and starts fresh.
Flasher ty is a great player that maybe just chose the wrong school. We shall see
Could it be, perhaps, that highly touted players just don’t produce in practice? While Syracuse's second middie line, according to you, wasn’t great but those players were producing in practice? Those rankings to me are little more than fodder for people to yap about. So count me in the pool of people who think those lists are worth exactly what the paper costs to print them.
Exactly. What you do before you get there doesn’t mean squat. Prove yourself. In the case of Syracuse. That second line had more to do with geography and maybe a little nepotism. I’ve seen some others play and not sure. But I’m not gg so
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:33 am
Idontknowtherules wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:20 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 am So what are the 2 ACC schools Dirk's is interested in - I'm guessing it's 2 of the big 3 and likely UNC and BC. I agree both would be interested. Freshman UNC player Shannon Smith just left UNC and is going to MD. Is considered a top 3 middie in 2020 class.
She was great in a subpar schedule. The pace is not the same as bc or unc. Not sure about that. But you’re as good as those around you so maybe she will be great. I guess time will tell. More goes into a transfer than lacrosse. She’s a rising junior. Credits transferring. Money. Bc is a lot more than penn
I don't agree Dirks played a subpar schedule with Penn State this season. Nine of the thirteen games the Lions played were against ranked opponents. Four vs top 10.

Penn State University

2021 Women's Lacrosse Schedule

Feb 14 - Rutgers - W 20-11

Feb 21 - #7 Maryland - W 15-13

Mar 11 - #3 Northwestern - L 13-24

Mar 13 - #3 Northwestern - L 13-17

Mar 19 - #13 Michigan - L 9-12

Mar 21 - #13 Michigan - W 13-12

Mar 26 - Ohio State - L 12-15

Mar 28 - Ohio State - L 9-11

Apr 7 - Johns Hopkins - L 10-13

Apr 11 - #9 Maryland - W 16-9

Apr 15 - #24 Rutgers - L 16-17

Apr 18 - #20 Johns Hopkins - L 11-13

Apr 29 - #20 Johns Hopkins (QF Big 10 Tournament) - L 9-11

Overall 4-9 .308

Home 4-2

Away 0-6

Neutral 0-1
Even if she did play a sub-par schedule she lit it up at Team USA tryouts where every single player is anything but sub-par.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 pm
Bart wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:53 pm
Laxinfordays wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:03 pm
Dasher wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:14 am https://floridagators.com/news/2021/6/2 ... nsfer.aspx
Catherine Flaherty joins the Gators. Before Maryland: No. 13 ranked recruit by Inside Lacrosse, the highest ranked defender.
WOW! First Schettig, now Flaherty. Think it has anything to do with Thorpe? Something is going on in Turtleland. No doubt about that.

The rising junior comes to the Gators from the University of Maryland, where she spent her first two collegiate seasons.

Flaherty – a Manorville, N.Y. native – saw action in four games during her collegiate career as a Terrapin.

People...take notice of the last sentence. She saw action in FOUR GAMES in her collegiate career. And that was from a team that has had defensive problems for the last two years.
Lauri Kenis(Maryland Asst) is a really good coach and has run the Maryland defense a long time. If she only put this girl on the field for FOUR games over 2 seasons, does that indicate anything?
Yes and indicates that sometimes these coaches make poor judgment calls. Or they don’t want to admit that the people they have on the fields are the wrong people. How do you not play the top ranked defender in the entire country? Or are these lists just a bunch of BS which I’ve heard people say for years. Syracuse is a perfect example of this as well. Their second mini line was not great at best and I’m hoping that KT shakes things up a little bit and starts fresh.
Flasher ty is a great player that maybe just chose the wrong school. We shall see
Could it be, perhaps, that highly touted players just don’t produce in practice? While Syracuse's second middie line, according to you, wasn’t great but those players were producing in practice? Those rankings to me are little more than fodder for people to yap about. So count me in the pool of people who think those lists are worth exactly what the paper costs to print them.
Exactly. What you do before you get there doesn’t mean squat. Prove yourself. In the case of Syracuse. That second line had more to do with geography and maybe a little nepotism. I’ve seen some others play and not sure. But I’m not gg so
Nepotism?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dirks to ND actually makes a lot of sense. They have a need for middies and a former HS teammate from Episcopal Academy is there now.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:43 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 pm Exactly. What you do before you get there doesn’t mean squat. Prove yourself. In the case of Syracuse. That second line had more to do with geography and maybe a little nepotism. I’ve seen some others play and not sure. But I’m not gg so
Nepotism?
Yeah please explain. No way this can be about Emma Tyrrell...?
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 pm
Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:05 pm Exactly. What you do before you get there doesn’t mean squat. Prove yourself. In the case of Syracuse. That second line had more to do with geography and maybe a little nepotism. I’ve seen some others play and not sure. But I’m not gg so
Nepotism?
emma is first line. So I would say no
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Idontknowtherules wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:05 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 pm
Nepotism?
emma is first line. So I would say no
Didn't start out first line, she moved up the lineup in response to injuries.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:06 pm
Cletus wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:26 pm

Larry, I’m just curious, did you see my post on goaltenders playing the angle just right? If so, what did you think?
Did not see that. Where is it at?
Under the Syracuse topic, I quote/tagged you on Tuesday at 7:15pm. You should have gotten a notification.
Bart

Post by Bart »

tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:16 pm MD did just pick up a very good defensive middie from Albany. Who actually played against Flaherty in the NY State Class B semi in 2019.
It will be interesting how she does. I really wonder what Cathy Reese is thinking taking a transfer from an unworthy conference but perhaps she is starting down the slippery slope from elite coach to mediocre coach like Jenny Levy. ;)

Ms Rhude has really good feet, is fast and has a knack around the center circle. I am excited to see what she will do
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:29 am
tothedraw wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:16 pm MD did just pick up a very good defensive middie from Albany. Who actually played against Flaherty in the NY State Class B semi in 2019.
It will be interesting how she does. I really wonder what Cathy Reese is thinking taking a transfer from an unworthy conference but perhaps she is starting down the slippery slope from elite coach to mediocre coach like Jenny Levy. ;)

Ms Rhude has really good feet, is fast and has a knack around the center circle. I am excited to see what she will do

That's funny Bart! Cathy can't slip into mediocre coach because she has 5...Count 'em...5 NCs since 2007. Nothing average about that. Haha
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:31 am

Larry, I’m just curious, did you see my post on goaltenders playing the angle just right? If so, what did you think?
Under the Syracuse topic, I quote/tagged you on Tuesday at 7:15pm. You should have gotten a notification.
I checked that and I did respond.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:37 am
Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:31 am

I checked that and I did respond.
I don’t see it. In any event—this is it:
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:15 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:30 pm
Cletus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:29 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:25 pm it appears that some may have forgotten that the championship game was a Ortega pipe shot away from having a different outcome.
That's speaks to Hall's excellence as a goalie. She played the angle so well, all she left Ortega was the pipe.
Stop it! Hall is NOT an excellent goalie. She's 69th in rankings with a Sv. Pct. just over 40(.402). In no athletic world(other than Baseball) does that equal excellence. HOWEVER, if you want to lower the standards for female goalies(at best, that's sexist. At worst, it's a cute way of saying "that's how girls play"), then you just did.
Rachel Hall had two good games...and they happen to come in the Final Four and the Final, thus her team won their first National Championship. Good for her and her team, but that doesn't make her great.

Wanna argue with me? Go look up her individual stats this season and tell me I know nothing.
It was a joke, Larry. You never heard that one before? In NHL circles it's a funny thing to say anytime a player hits the post. It works just as well in lacrosse.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:31 am
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:29 am

That's funny Bart! Cathy can't slip into mediocre coach because she has 5...Count 'em...5 NCs since 2007. Nothing average about that. Haha

And the top rated IL recruiting classes this year and next year. Haha
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

As it turns July 1st at midnight, I'm surprised we didn't get more public action in the portal this season vs. years past.
---One question, if anyone understands the system well.
---How long do players have to find another school?
Is their timeline just like anyone else transferring to a school or do they have to be accepted by their new school by the 1st?
If not, are they effectively off their current team's roster, aid /scholarships turned back in, and are free to land somewhere else?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Dasher wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:18 pm As it turns July 1st at midnight, I'm surprised we didn't get more public action in the portal this season vs. years past.
---One question, if anyone understands the system well.
---How long do players have to find another school?
Is their timeline just like anyone else transferring to a school or do they have to be accepted by their new school by the 1st?
If not, are they effectively off their current team's roster, aid /scholarships turned back in, and are free to land somewhere else?
I’ve seen players transfer btw fall and spring semester
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I have no idea what all is involved with signing players off the portal, but I’m surprised no one has yet snapped up Olivia Dirks. She’s only one of 36 playing for Team USA.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 am I have no idea what all is involved with signing players off the portal, but I’m surprised no one has yet snapped up Olivia Dirks. She’s only one of 36 playing for Team USA.
could have already landed, just not announced given team usa tryouts ;)
OuttaNowhereWregget

8meterPA wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:15 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 am I have no idea what all is involved with signing players off the portal, but I’m surprised no one has yet snapped up Olivia Dirks. She’s only one of 36 playing for Team USA.
could have already landed, just not announced given team usa tryouts ;)
Interesting!
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Transferring is not as cut and dry as everyone may think. There are many things involved.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:04 am Transferring is not as cut and dry as everyone may think. There are many things involved.
Like what? Please do tell!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”