All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by Brooklyn »

Some people believe that anyone who supports Putin is a fascist or that if anyone opposes USA intervention in the conflict that this makes them a fascist sympathizer. As usual, people in their ignorance respond emotionally rather than rationally to the issues. They fail to study their history and to get their facts straight. This is why these highly excitable people make such baseless charges. Over the years many on this forum and on LP called me a communist, Marxist, and leftist extremist. This has also happened on other forums. Strangely, now they call me a fascist or fascist sympathizer for demanding that we remain neutral in this conflict. I was on a chat conducted by a liberal and one of her mods expressed shock and dismay when I voiced objection to Biden's policy. She even accused me of being a fascist sympathizer. I reminded her that our chat hostess opposed intervention in the wars on Afghanistan --- did that make her a member or supporter of ISIS? The mod did not respond to my challenge.

Lesson learned by her (I'm sure). Now it's your turn.

As some of you may recall I am a supporter of George Galloway. While I don't agree with him on all issues, I certainly do on this one. He, too, calls for political neutrality and gives an excellent historical perspective on the issue between Ukraine & Russia. Listen to this very carefully. Try, just try to refute his words without resorting to attacks and name calling:

Note especially his words on Ukrainian Nazi Stepan Bandera:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.07eb1e16b72 ... ImgRaw&r=0

https://www.bing.com/search?q=stepan+ba ... A1&PC=EE04

Babi Yar massacre of Jews:

This is why the Nazi Azov brigade is supportive of the coup regime that rules Ukraine. It murdered 14,000 people in Donbas and continues to attack people in the free Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk. Azov:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jHlb3IbF3M4/ ... 0/1234.jpg
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
old salt

Post by old salt »

I'm really getting sick of clueless pols & media hacks yammering about giving away 1/3 of Poland's fighter planes, as a morale booster, with no assurance they will ever see combat.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:19 pm I'm really getting sick of clueless pols & media hacks yammering about giving away 1/3 of Poland's fighter planes, as a morale booster, with no assurance they will ever see combat.
Fighter jets, even old Soviet jets, are offensive weapons and that would only escalate the war.

What Ukraine needs are those old Soviet air defense systems, lots of Stingers, Javelins, and NLAWs … all systems the Ukrainians know how to operate.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:26 pm Some people believe that anyone who supports Putin is a fascist or that if anyone opposes USA intervention in the conflict that this makes them a fascist sympathizer. As usual, people in their ignorance respond emotionally rather than rationally to the issues. They fail to study their history and to get their facts straight. This is why these highly excitable people make such baseless charges. Over the years many on this forum and on LP called me a communist, Marxist, and leftist extremist. This has also happened on other forums. Strangely, now they call me a fascist or fascist sympathizer for demanding that we remain neutral in this conflict. I was on a chat conducted by a liberal and one of her mods expressed shock and dismay when I voiced objection to Biden's policy. She even accused me of being a fascist sympathizer. I reminded her that our chat hostess opposed intervention in the wars on Afghanistan --- did that make her a member or supporter of ISIS? The mod did not respond to my challenge.

Lesson learned by her (I'm sure). Now it's your turn.

As some of you may recall I am a supporter of George Galloway. While I don't agree with him on all issues, I certainly do on this one. He, too, calls for political neutrality and gives an excellent historical perspective on the issue between Ukraine & Russia. Listen to this very carefully. Try, just try to refute his words without resorting to attacks and name calling:

Note especially his words on Ukrainian Nazi Stepan Bandera:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.07eb1e16b72 ... ImgRaw&r=0

Babi Yar massacre of Jews:

This is why the Nazi Azov brigade is supportive of the coup regime that rules Ukraine. It murdered 14,000 people in Donbas and continues to attack people in the free Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk. Azov:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jHlb3IbF3M4/ ... 0/1234.jpg
George Galloway is an anti-Semite and a paid shill for Russia.

You are also claiming that neo-Nazism is a problem in Ukraine when they have an elected president who is Jewish. Neo-Nazism is a bigger problem in the United States and the Republican Party than it is in Ukraine. Republicans rarely hide their anti-Semitism when they rant about George Soros.

Finally, your advocacy of neutrality in this brutal war leads me to question your supposed liberal or humanitarian values.

Putin is a fascist and he is trying to do what fascist leaders tend to do … kill innocent people for his own grandiose delusions.

Supporting Putin doesn’t necessarily make one a fascist … just a supporter of a fascist.

Not really sure there is much of a difference.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:36 pm

You are also claiming that neo-Nazism is a problem in Ukraine when they have an elected president who is Jewish. Neo-Nazism is a bigger problem in the United States and the Republican Party than it is in Ukraine. Republicans rarely hide their anti-Semitism when they rant about George Soros.

Finally, your advocacy of neutrality in this brutal war leads me to question your supposed liberal or humanitarian values.

Putin is a fascist and he is trying to do what fascist leaders tend to do … kill innocent people for his own grandiose delusions.

Supporting Putin doesn’t necessarily make one a fascist … just a supporter of a fascist.

DocBarrister

~ George Galloway is an anti-Semite and a paid shill for Russia. ~

Your proof, please.

~ neo-Nazism is a problem in Ukraine ~

I see no evidence that they view that as a problem. Rather it appears that they view it as an asset. Refer to Galloway's speech in which UkeNazi Stepan Bandera was honored by the government - they even named a street for him.

~ Republicans anti Semites do hate George Soros. But they hate Bernie Sanders and every liberal Jew imaginable, including Jesus Christ.

~neutrality ~

As I mentioned enough times over the years I am first and foremost a political REALIST. Check out all of my posts ~ show when I ever called myself "liberal". Go ahead, I'll wait.

"Humanitarian" ? That goes with being realistic.

~ Putin is a fascist and he is trying to do what fascist leaders tend to do … kill innocent people for his own grandiose delusions. ~

That's quite apropos for traitor Bush. Strange how we don't hear that about him - unless it comes from me.

~supporting Putin - supporting fascism ~

Neither Galloway nor tRump nor I supported him.

Is Putin a fascist? Dunno for sure. But he's certainly no worse than Bush who killed FAR more people than he did and many on LP and here happily supported him. I forget off hand, but did you condemn each right winger who supported Bush?

Ukraine declared independence from Russia by referendum. Donbas declared independence from Ukraine by referendum as well. If the world is force to recognize Uke's secession, then it must do the same for Donbas. It's just logical. Once done there is a strong likelihood that we will have some peace in that part of the world.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ukraine suspends 11 political parties with links to Russia
Zelenskiy says parties such as Viktor Medvedchuk’s Opposition Platform for Life are ‘aimed at division or collusion’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -to-russia

Eleven Ukrainian political parties have been suspended because of their links with Russia, according to the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

The country’s national security and defence council took the decision to ban the parties from any political activity. Most of the parties affected were small, but one of them, the Opposition Platform for Life, has 44 seats in the 450-seat Ukrainian parliament.

“The activities of those politicians aimed at division or collusion will not succeed, but will receive a harsh response,” Zelenskiy said, in a video address on Sunday.

“Therefore, the national security and defence council decided, given the full-scale war unleashed by Russia, and the political ties that a number of political structures have with this state, to suspend any activity of a number of political parties for the period of martial law,” the Ukrainian leader added.

The Opposition Platform for Life, Ukraine’s biggest opposition party, is led by Viktor Medvedchuk, a pro-Moscow oligarch with close ties to the Russian president, Vladimir Putin. Party officials later said the suspension “had no legal basis”.

The Ukrainian authorities last year charged Medvedchuk, a longtime ally of Putin who is believed to be the godfather of Medvedchuk’s daughter, with treason and placed the oligarch under house arrest, a move that angered the Kremlin.

Ukraine said Medvedchuk escaped house arrest three days after Russia started its invasion of Ukraine on 24 February and his whereabouts are currently unknown.

The list of parties banned on Sunday also included the Nashi (Ours) party led by Yevhen Murayev, as well as a number of smaller parties not represented in the parliament. Prior to the start of the war, unspecified British intelligence claimed that Russia was considering installing Murayev to lead a Kremlin-controlled puppet government in Kyiv, claims that Murayev strongly denied.

Ukraine’s decision to suspend a number of parties was slammed by senior Russian officials on Sunday, with the chair of the Duma, Vyacheslav Volodin, saying “it was another mistake” made by Zelenskiy that will “divide the country”, while ex-president and top security official Dmitry Medvedev sarcastically wrote that the move would bring Ukraine closer to the west.

“The most democratic president of modern Ukraine has taken another step towards the western ideals of democracy. By decision of the Council for National Defence and Security, he completely banned any activity of opposition parties in Ukraine. They are not needed! Well done! Keep it up,” Medvedev wrote on his Telegram channel.

The political move comes as Zelenskiy aims to further assert his influence over the country’s media sphere. On Sunday, the Ukrainian leader signed a decree that aims to unite all national TV channels into one platform, citing the importance of a “unified information policy” under martial law.

Who's the fascist now?

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:53 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:36 pm

DocBarrister

~ George Galloway is an anti-Semite and a paid shill for Russia. ~

Your proof, please.

~ neo-Nazism is a problem in Ukraine ~

I see no evidence that they view that as a problem. Rather it appears that they view it as an asset. Refer to Galloway's speech in which UkeNazi Stepan Bandera was honored by the government - they even named a street for him.

~ Republicans anti Semites do hate George Soros. But they hate Bernie Sanders and every liberal Jew imaginable, including Jesus Christ.

~neutrality ~

As I mentioned enough times over the years I am first and foremost a political REALIST. Check out all of my posts ~ show when I ever called myself "liberal". Go ahead, I'll wait.

"Humanitarian" ? That goes with being realistic.

~ Putin is a fascist and he is trying to do what fascist leaders tend to do … kill innocent people for his own grandiose delusions. ~

That's quite apropos for traitor Bush. Strange how we don't hear that about him - unless it comes from me.

~supporting Putin - supporting fascism ~

Neither Galloway nor tRump nor I supported him.

Is Putin a fascist? Dunno for sure. But he's certainly no worse than Bush who killed FAR more people than he did and many on LP and here happily supported him. I forget off hand, but did you condemn each right winger who supported Bush?

Ukraine declared independence from Russia by referendum. Donbas declared independence from Ukraine by referendum as well. If the world is force to recognize Uke's secession, then it must do the same for Donbas. It's just logical. Once done there is a strong likelihood that we will have some peace in that part of the world.
TalkRadio sacks George Galloway over ‘antisemitic views’

George Galloway has been sacked from his TalkRadio show with immediate effect, after the former MP said Liverpool’s victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League final meant there would be “no Israel flags on the cup”.
The north London club, which has a strong association with the Jewish community, had called for him to be sacked, saying: “It’s astounding in this day and age to read such blatant antisemitism published on a social platform by someone who is still afforded air time on a radio station on which he has previously broken broadcast impartiality rules.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-galloway

Ranting George Galloway blasted for pro-Russian Sputnik show as he spouts bizarre 'biological weapons factory' claim

George Galloway has been slated as a Russian sympathiser as he takes swipes at US for 'using and abusing' Ukraine and amassing biological weaponry - as the fringe politician sides with Putin over the bloody invasion

… Calls are mounting for ranting George Galloway to be axed from the airwaves over his bile-filled, pro-Putin propaganda show.

Galloway's tirade-filled talk show hosted on the Kremlin backed Sputnik news agency's website, has been roundly condemned by the Scottish Conservatives as the bloody invasion of the Ukraine intensifies this week.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/ ... 405772.amp

That’s not even the worst of it. His Twitter feed is pretty horrible.

Of course, George Galloway is not the only anti-Semite and former government official on Putin’s considerable illicit pay roll. Former German Chancellors and other high-ranking individuals have received Russian pay checks and board positions of Russian state-owned companies.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Before you think about taking shots at the media, please read this story by AP news team in Mariupol, what they documented about the complete destruction of the city and how the Ukrainian military finally got them out as they were pursued by Russian elements but not before their words and images went out to the world about the horrors of what was unfolding in that city.

https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukrai ... ce=Twitter
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Kismet wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:16 am Before you think about taking shots at the media, please read this story by AP news team in Mariupol, what they documented about the complete destruction of the city and how the Ukrainian military finally got them out as they were pursued by Russian elements but not before their words and images went out to the world about the horrors of what was unfolding in that city.

Agreed; great and terrible story. Thanks for posting it.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:43 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:01 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:25 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:06 am
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:36 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:35 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:40 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:56 am Second, what I mean is that Putin will need to come to the conclusion that he's made all the moves he can, expended all the resources he can, that would bring Ukraine into submission and be habitable and ruled by Russia and/or its proxy. That's not possible if he goes nuclear, but it is at least conceivably possible if he turns many of the cities to rubble. Obviously the latter is awful, but it's what the Ukrainians appear to be prepared to withstand.
Low yield tac nucs would not render all of Ukraine uninhabitable. He could hit targets in W Ukraine which he knows he can't hold & create an uninhabitable buffer zone, leaving the roads, rail lines & pipelines intact. Control the entire Black Sea coastline & the territory E of the buffer zone.
mmm, I'm not an expert in this area, but I suspect that nukes, tactical or otherwise, have extended impact beyond the immediate area...and I think the usage of such would generate the response I detailed earlier of the entire decimation of Russia's military forces that did not immediately leave or surrender. I think/hope we would refrain from returning nuke fire, while providing an ultimatum to the Russian military.
The Russians have tactical doctrine for the use of low yield tac nucs. A low yield, subterranean burst would limit the spread of fallout.

We also have about 150 tac nuc bombs stored in 6 NATO countries, to deter that Russian military which is no longer a threat.
limit, not eliminate.

I realize they have 'doctrine', but certainly the military itself would know that their own decimation would be almost immediate if they go to nukes. But I take seriously the possibility that some of the top brass would go along with such an order, though to the horror of their fellow brass much less troops and Russian people.

I'm merely saying that we should do so with conventional power after a warning to put down their weapons, leave the region, or surrender. Then decimate anyone not doing so. I don't think nukes are necessary to do so.
No it would not. The use of tac nucs would not necessarily lead to MAD. Escalation would depend on the circumstances.
Perhaps you're not following what I said..no nukes by us...very important that we show restraint in any such, despite what Russia does. But complete decimation of their forces in and immediately threatening Ukraine can be accomplished pretty darn quickly albeit not without cost to our side. But don't go nuclear...same for chemical/biological...give them 12-24 hours to lay down their arms, start going the other direction, surrender, or get pummeled...anyone shooting at a NATO or Ukrainian force, annihilation of that direct threat.
Not without the use of NATO allies bases & airspace. Don't assume that is a given if Russia uses a tac nuc in Ukraine.
I think it's exactly the opposite reaction.
Indications are that they are actually more ready to go to direct confrontation, now, than we are. And that's building with every horror in Ukraine.

Poland, for instance, is calling for ground forces, now. An "international peacekeeping mission".

I think they know that what is happening in Ukraine will happen to them if Putin is not defeated in Ukraine. And backing off because Putin uses a nuke will only invite more.

On the other hand, use of a nuke will galvanize the world in horror.

I think we need to be the ones with the most public restraint. But preparing.
An international peacekeeping force means somebody else's troops.
Poland was afraid to let their giveaway Migs launch from their air base,
can we count on launching a USAF air war from their bases ?
The Polish leaders keep blindsiding us with their public statements.
NATO may be horrified, but will they go to war if a tac nuc is used in Ukraine ?
I would not count on it.
:roll: yes, international peacekeeping forces means troops from other countries...too. The Poles certainly aren't going to do this alone, nor would any of their allies want them to do so. They aren't saying NATO, however, they're talking UN, presumably. But yeah, that includes Poles.

I think we're going to see the Europeans be more urgently wanting further commitments of direct force prior to the current US leadership. I think that's probably a good thing in the long run. But Biden is going to get pushed very hard internally as well. The politics are shifting fast.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:05 am

TalkRadio sacks George Galloway over ‘antisemitic views’

George Galloway has been sacked from his TalkRadio show with immediate effect, after the former MP said Liverpool’s victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League final meant there would be “no Israel flags on the cup”.
The north London club, which has a strong association with the Jewish community, had called for him to be sacked, saying: “It’s astounding in this day and age to read such blatant antisemitism published on a social platform by someone who is still afforded air time on a radio station on which he has previously broken broadcast impartiality rules.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... e-galloway

Ranting George Galloway blasted for pro-Russian Sputnik show as he spouts bizarre 'biological weapons factory' claim

George Galloway has been slated as a Russian sympathiser as he takes swipes at US for 'using and abusing' Ukraine and amassing biological weaponry - as the fringe politician sides with Putin over the bloody invasion

… Calls are mounting for ranting George Galloway to be axed from the airwaves over his bile-filled, pro-Putin propaganda show.

Galloway's tirade-filled talk show hosted on the Kremlin backed Sputnik news agency's website, has been roundly condemned by the Scottish Conservatives as the bloody invasion of the Ukraine intensifies this week.

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/ ... 405772.amp

That’s not even the worst of it. His Twitter feed is pretty horrible.

Of course, George Galloway is not the only anti-Semite and former government official on Putin’s considerable illicit pay roll. Former German Chancellors and other high-ranking individuals have received Russian pay checks and board positions of Russian state-owned companies.

DocBarrister

Galloway has always condemned Zionist oppression of Palestinians. He did not attack Jews and his Respect party is well known for having Jewish members. He has defended Bernie Sanders and Noam Chomsky both of whom are Jewish against bigoted attacks by the far right. "“We oppose Netanyahu, we love Jews,” he concluded." according to Jerusalem Post's ILANIT CHERNICK JULY 3, 2019

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/georg ... son-594461

Calling Galloway anti Semitic for his condemnation of Zionist oppression of Palestinians is tantamount to calling someone anti American for condemning Bush's wars of imperialistic terrorism in the Middle East.

Galloway condemned Zelenskyy's government when it honored Nazi anti-Semite Stepan Bandera - Zelenskyy actually called him a national "hero". Imagine honoring a bigot who murdered 34,000 innocent people. Try doing that in the USA and see what will happen. IIRC from my past readings of history, Bandera also was responsible for murdering Poles who were trying to escape Nazi persecution. Some hero, huh?

Then there's the story of Roman Shukhevych. His history wasn't quite as bloody as that of Bandera but his unit called the Nachtigall battalion which took part in anti Semitic extermination. Their anti Pole and anti Semitic activities were restricted because they had the misfortune (or, the good fortune as far as I'm concerned) of being sent to the Russian front.

Football stadiums and streets were named for both. In March 2021, the Ukrainian city of Ternopil renamed its largest stadium in Shukhevych’s honour without the slightest complaint by Zelenskyy. While Zelenskyy went on record as calling Bandera is "hero", it was said he did the same with Shukhevych though I couldn't find any proof at the moment. I can do further research later on for further proof.

Anyone who actually watches Galloway's online shows knows fully well of his great sympathy for victims of Nazi persecution. He even honored his two grandfathers for fighting against Nazis during WW II. Those are his real heroes.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The Bandera issue is far more complicated than you describe.

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2021 ... -criminals

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/ ... odays-feud

Note that the Zelenkyy-led Parliament DID NOT award Bandera of the honors, though considered it. Two Presidents prior had done so, the one between reversed it on the grounds that Bandera was not a Ukrainian citizen, upheld by the courts.

He was definitely not deserving of honors for his mass killing; but he's also a 'hero' to some of those who wanted and want today for Ukraine to be fully independent, and who see the "Russian bear" as the dominant threat to such independence. When he declared Ukraine independent of Germany, the Gestapo put him in jail.

Independence was his primary goal. Independence from Germany, but especially independence from Russia.

And that independence is a huge, ongoing goal.

But...you're not wrong about the brutality.

Not sure what the right analogy to that aspect would be here in the US...Grant??

Quite a few American leaders, actually.
Including those one would hardly describe as right-wing.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Turnabout is fair play update

The hacker collective Anonymous has hacked unsecured printers across Russia, and proceeded to mass print information about Putin’s war as a way to circumvent the Kremlin's state propaganda. Earlier this week in a 24-hour period, The hacking collective Anonymous brought down the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations website, the Kremlin was infiltrated again, and another 80 gigabytes of emails from a Russian gas provider were leaked.

Another hacking group infiltrated Russian social media VK, spreads truth about war in Ukraine. Users of VK have received messages from the social network’s official account informing them of the true casualties and impact of Russia’s war against Ukraine, according to screenshots posted online.

Germany has reached a deal to receive natural gas from Qatar to help end its reliance on Russia. France is also announcing that it will no longer purchase Russian oil and gas.

Cogent Communications, an internet backbone provider that routes data across intercontinental connections, has cut ties with Russian customers over its invasion of Ukraine. This may explain why there have been no news of Russian hacking towards the West.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Kismet wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:16 am Before you think about taking shots at the media, please read this story by AP news team in Mariupol, what they documented about the complete destruction of the city and how the Ukrainian military finally got them out as they were pursued by Russian elements but not before their words and images went out to the world about the horrors of what was unfolding in that city.

Uhhh yeah, about that…

Try not to confuse a brave journalist like MSTYSLAV CHERNOV with a partisan liberal fat slob like Brian Stelter, an egotistical loudmouth like Jim Acosta, or a wildly dishonest hack like Joy Reid.

A guy like MSTYSLAV CHERNOV is a rarity in the universe of (liberal) media. Cheers to him, but don’t let these other leftist hacks bathe in his glory.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:56 pm The Bandera issue is far more complicated than you describe.

Your links reinforce what I have previously posted and what Galloway said in his video. It is not complicated at all.

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:56 pm The Bandera issue is far more complicated than you describe.

Your links reinforce what I have previously posted and what Galloway said in his video. It is not complicated at all.
well, I disagree.
There's nuance here that you ignore.
old salt

Post by old salt »

It is a tragic mistake for the Ukrainians not to surrender Mariupol. The city is lost, the Russians will now hammer it to rubble. It is their #1 target. It completes their land bridge to Crimea. If they can't also take Odessa quickly, a land bridge to Crimes might satisfy their attainable territorial ambitions & induce them to agree to a cease fire in place & a negotiated end to hostilities. If not, they'll reduce Mariupol to Aleppo, push on for Odessa & continue to shell Kyiv, realizing it's not worth the cost of capturing & holding the capital. The Russians have better supply lines to the southern front.

If not, this will continue to be a bloody, horrific stalemate & a contest of logistics & resupply chains.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:49 pm It is a tragic mistake for the Ukrainians not to surrender Mariupol. The city is lost, the Russians will now hammer it to rubble. It is their #1 target. It completes their land bridge to Crimea. If they can't also take Odessa quickly, a land bridge to Crimes might satisfy their attainable territorial ambitions & induce them to agree to a cease fire in place & a negotiated end to hostilities. If not, they'll reduce Mariupol to Aleppo, push on for Odessa & continue to shell Kyiv, realizing it's not worth the cost of capturing & holding the capital. The Russians have better supply lines to the southern front.

If not, this will continue to be a bloody, horrific stalemate & a contest of logistics & resupply chains.
A tough choice for sure. However, the city is already mostly destroyed. Russians are reportedly sending busloads of residents to Russia against their will. Ironically, the city is populated with largely ethnic Russians who the invaders are killing in great numbers.

How does Ukraine survive in a post-conflict timeframe with no coastal access to the Black Sea where most of their commerce is exported and imported?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:23 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:37 pm

well, I disagree.
There's nuance here that you ignore.

Believe what you will. The bottom line remains the same: what goes on there is none of our goddamn business. They did not attempt to stop Bush during his crimes against the Middle East and we need not even think of intervening in their affairs.

Return to “POLITICS”