Post by ohmilax34 »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:42 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:09 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:08 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:22 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:04 am
OCanada wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:33 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:15 am
nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

These Blue Jays can get much better.

Which is very encouraging.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
With a FO win percentage of 0.597 and a passive position oriented defense that allowed Jesse Schwartzmann to earn a 0.626 save percentage. Causing turnovers wasn’t even an official statistic at the time. Indeed, the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team lost the turnover battle against their opponents (190 Hopkins turnovers to 164 for their opponents). Just wasn’t their focus (despite Peter LeSueur being excellent on the ride). Remember, one of the foundational principles behind the passive position oriented defense was that modern lacrosse sticks made it futile to try and cause turnovers with stick checks.

https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... stats/2005

Plus, it didn’t hurt to have two future hall of famers on the first midfield line.

That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
So now it was a different time? That is not what you wrote. Back in 2005 you were ragging on an attackman with a broken bone in his foot for his performance. You ignored 2007 and 2003 in your “analysis”. Blinders. Doc Slick. That was sooo facile
I believe you were the @$$hole who ruined my tribute to Peter LeSueur when you misinterpreted my post as a criticism of LeSueur … ironic because LeSueur was my favorite player from the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team. You have never acknowledged your stupendous f*ck up.

You were an @$$hole then and you’re an @$$hole now. That, at least, has not changed.

DocBarrister
Hiya slick. Do not think you have a clue what you are talking about. I do know your slur directed at Petro was total BS. Then you post BS to try and rationalize. Petro had teams that averaged more gbs than this year’s team. The only stat you needed to know but you chose to take the cheap shot, but when you got nothing you act like the middle schooler you apparently never out grew.
Yeah … that’s why Petro one season focused a practice on gbs and the team was heard on the sidelines yelling in unison, “Groundballs!”

His teams have won season gb battles, but those were almost always when the team was successful on faceoffs.

Problems winning non-faceoff ground balls was a longtime consistent issue in Petro’s last decade. That’s not a “slur,” a bizarre term that you use. It’s simply an observation, something even Petro noted.

Here’s just one example from as long ago as 2010:

For the first time in almost three weeks, Johns Hopkins collected more groundballs than its opponent, scooping up 28 loose balls to the Tigers' 19. In the previous two contests, the Blue Jays lost that battle, 31-21, in a 10-9 loss to the Terps and, 35-21, in a 9-8 overtime setback to the Midshipmen. The players spent about an hour on Monday working on various drills centered on groundballs, and Pietramala was relieved to see their work play out against Towson. "If we didn't win groundballs tonight, I might've jumped off a building because we've spent the last three weeks talking about groundballs, and it's killed us in the last two games," he said. "I went into halftime and the first thing I said was, 'Good job, keep it up, but we're only winning by three groundballs.' Then we pulled away in the second half."

https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-mtblog- ... story.html

It’s difficult to find a final decade Petro season where the Blue Jays won the season non-faceoff gb battle. It was a recurrent issue. When the Blue Jays were winning more gbs, it was attributable mostly to their face off wins.

This season’s Blue Jays are better on 50-50 non-faceoff gbs … it’s not even a stat thing … you can see it in the games. For the record, the Blue Jays this season are winning the gb battle even while losing a majority of face offs.

Finally, it should be noted that I am one of the few here who opposed Petro’s firing following the shortened 2020 season. I thought he deserved a chance at another full season before any final decisions were made.

You have a truly bizarre history of unfairly attacking people. You attacked my tribute to LeSueur because you stupidly misinterpreted my tribute as an attack. Now you attack one of this forum’s only members who opposed the firing of Petro.

You truly are a piece of work.

DocBarrister
I wonder if there is any correlation between teams that have a high face off percentage and teams that lose the majority of the non-face off GBs. If a team is on offense a lot from winning face offs, is it easier for their opponent to get more groundballs? Maybe, because the defense has 4 long sticks plus a 7th player (the goalie).
10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Western Reserve played Hill Academy.
A good opportunity to catch how Charlie Iler performs against a top five (or more likely better than that) prep / high school.
He is the initiator for Western, mostly played wing as opposed to
behind the net last game - he looks ready for DI.
Iler #13 - 2 and 1 against Hill in an 11-8 loss.
Hopefully this link stays up for a few days.

https://boxcast.tv/view/wra-boys-prep-l ... mfcs1sdyfj

Post by viper »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:11 pm As long as we are talking about any potential future Blue Jays I couldn't help but hear on Saturday night Terry Riordan has a good player in the household - any reviews or thoughts? From what I have heard TR is still a huge fan.
Well, too bad Hopkins no longer admits legacy candidates!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry couldn't help myself)
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:24 pm Western Reserve played Hill Academy.
A good opportunity to catch how Charlie Iler performs against a top five (or more likely better than that) prep / high school.
He is the initiator for Western, mostly played wing as opposed to
behind the net last game - he looks ready for DI.
Iler #13 - 2 and 1 against Hill in an 11-8 loss.
Hopefully this link stays up for a few days.

https://boxcast.tv/view/wra-boys-prep-l ... mfcs1sdyfj

Iler's game (similar to Angelus) is much better suited to X. Looks like their regular wing (Schlackman- Rutgers) didn't play, maybe that's why the position switch? The Loyola game should still be online; that'll give you a better idea. Also a chance to see Zach Claiborne (#24, SSDM). Will be interesting to see how he does at Homewood, definitely has the size, athleticism, stick skills to be good, but he's still adjusting to the position.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Raising/Specnding $300,000 for the men's locker room this summer - another nail in the coffin from the administration
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm Raising/Specnding $300,000 for the men's locker room this summer - another nail in the coffin from the administration
-The field still looks awful from the womens highlights yesterday and the bookstore looks like an Ms Word Windows 95 project made by a del boca vista seniors computer art group. I hope those are also on the agenda.
-Iler kid was able to finish nicely at point blank. We need people like that.
-Some of you care a lot about the d3 combined team record cup which the school posted about today. I don't really understand why schools like Hopkins/MIT/Williams et al that aren't associated with athletics in most minds are so high up in it. I understand they can tell physics majors about the education, but it's probably hard to find water polo/shortstop studs in the top 10 percent of their class.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:03 pm the bookstore looks like an Ms Word Windows 95 project made by a del boca vista seniors computer art group.
I honestly have no idea what this means.

06, if you're capable of answering a question (not sure if that feature is written into your code or not), might I ask when is the last time you A) were on campus and B) went to the bookstore? Both are probably different from whatever it is that you remember.

The online site isn't the greatest but the actual bookstore on St. Paul has more Under Armor gear than you can imagine. Hundreds of styles of shirts, pants, shorts, hats, sweatshirts, athleisure, golf shirts, you name it. And, yes, UA replica lacrosse jerseys. A majority D3 school really has no business having so much stuff. For comparison I was in the Wake Forest store not too long ago and ours is as good or better than that one. I plan on buying some updated merch when I'm in Bmore in a few weeks for homecoming. I'm still rocking the 2018 Big Ten championship shirt. Would be nice to get an updated version of that too.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

nyjay wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:26 pm Has this team actually played a "good" game yet? I don't think they have. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Does it mean that they're not actually good or that they haven't yet played up to their potential?
This team fights to the final whistle. We haven’t seen that in a while, frankly. To respond to your question, Blue Jays have not put together four stellar quarters. They have not played a game where they fired on all cylinders. They have never quite performed a complete “A” game.

Several aspects of their game have improved compared to the Petro era … gbs, caused turnovers, and now … A RIDE.

The glitches still show from time to time, but this team is developing a real identity and chemistry. They’re aggressive and do the blue collar stuff well … physical, grinding play.

Coaches made some tough adjustments, including a goalie change that proved beneficial. This team actually has some depth now at all positions.

DocBarrister
How did the Petro era win 2 national titles etc. w/o causing turnovers, competing for gbs, riding etc. as you claim, You were around. Your insight would be educational.
With a FO win percentage of 0.597 and a passive position oriented defense that allowed Jesse Schwartzmann to earn a 0.626 save percentage. Causing turnovers wasn’t even an official statistic at the time. Indeed, the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team lost the turnover battle against their opponents (190 Hopkins turnovers to 164 for their opponents). Just wasn’t their focus (despite Peter LeSueur being excellent on the ride). Remember, one of the foundational principles behind the passive position oriented defense was that modern lacrosse sticks made it futile to try and cause turnovers with stick checks.

Plus, it didn’t hurt to have two future hall of famers on the first midfield line.

That was a different time. Even a different Petro era than what came later. It’s no longer enough to force an opposing shooter to his off-hand and have him shoot from 12-15 yards out and depend on your goalie to make the save … plenty of today’s shooters can score like that. Today, defenders always need to be on the shooters hands or body or better yet prevent the shot altogether. Petro’s 2005 defense was actually designed to give up certain shots. Today, you don’t want to give up a shot at all. Get aggressive, cause a turnover, initiate offense.

DocBarrister
So now it was a different time? That is not what you wrote. Back in 2005 you were ragging on an attackman with a broken bone in his foot for his performance. You ignored 2007 and 2003 in your “analysis”. Blinders. Doc Slick. That was sooo facile
I believe you were the @$$hole who ruined my tribute to Peter LeSueur when you misinterpreted my post as a criticism of LeSueur … ironic because LeSueur was my favorite player from the NOW LEGENDARY 2005 team. You have never acknowledged your stupendous f*ck up.

You were an @$$hole then and you’re an @$$hole now. That, at least, has not changed.

DocBarrister
Hiya slick. Do not think you have a clue what you are talking about. I do know your slur directed at Petro was total BS. Then you post BS to try and rationalize. Petro had teams that averaged more gbs than this year’s team. The only stat you needed to know but you chose to take the cheap shot, but when you got nothing you act like the middle schooler you apparently never out grew.
Yeah … that’s why Petro one season focused a practice on gbs and the team was heard on the sidelines yelling in unison, “Groundballs!”

His teams have won season gb battles, but those were almost always when the team was successful on faceoffs.

Problems winning non-faceoff ground balls was a longtime consistent issue in Petro’s last decade. That’s not a “slur,” a bizarre term that you use. It’s simply an observation, something even Petro noted.

For the first time in almost three weeks, Johns Hopkins collected more groundballs than its opponent, scooping up 28 loose balls to the Tigers' 19. In the previous two contests, the Blue Jays lost that battle, 31-21, in a 10-9 loss to the Terps and, 35-21, in a 9-8 overtime setback to the Midshipmen. The players spent about an hour on Monday working on various drills centered on groundballs, and Pietramala was relieved to see their work play out against Towson. "If we didn't win groundballs tonight, I might've jumped off a building because we've spent the last three weeks talking about groundballs, and it's killed us in the last two games," he said. "I went into halftime and the first thing I said was, 'Good job, keep it up, but we're only winning by three groundballs.' Then we pulled away in the second half."

It’s difficult to find a final decade Petro season where the Blue Jays won the season non-faceoff gb battle. It was a recurrent issue. When the Blue Jays were winning more gbs, it was attributable mostly to their face off wins.

This season’s Blue Jays are better on 50-50 non-faceoff gbs … it’s not even a stat thing … you can see it in the games. For the record, the Blue Jays this season are winning the gb battle even while losing a majority of face offs.

Finally, it should be noted that I am one of the few here who opposed Petro’s firing following the shortened 2020 season. I thought he deserved a chance at another full season before any final decisions were made.

You have a truly bizarre history of unfairly attacking people. You attacked my tribute to LeSueur because you stupidly misinterpreted my tribute as an attack. Now you attack one of this forum’s only members who opposed the firing of Petro.

DocBarrister
Slick,

That is not what you wrote. You keep trying to shift focus which is totally understandable given what you wrote. You also make claims you have yet to show a receipt for. And you have a bad vocabulary. You made a claim and it was BS as you keep proving. Not worth wasting more time on. Whether you were in favor of firing Petro or not is not germane. Neither is the newspaper link.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:23 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Slick,

That is not what you wrote. You keep trying to shift focus which is totally understandable given what you wrote. You also make claims you have yet to show a receipt for. And you have a bad vocabulary. You made a claim and it was BS as you keep proving. Not worth wasting more time on. Whether you were in favor of firing Petro or not is not germane. Neither is the newspaper link.
Love it … now you are accusing me of having “bad vocabulary.”

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Avoidance is an art form
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/61069
"Both (hopkins and rutgers) are top heavy and rely on a few players for most of their scoring". I don't know much about Rutgers and I know Degnon has been consistent and Angelus has racked up assists but I thought we had decent depth scoring. Even my man Grime Dog McGoals got a few last weekend.
-Obviously rooting for the hoyas, jville, delaware this weekend. I don't ever want to root for cuse and notre dame isn't missing the tournament, and I'm not sure at this point an extra top 20 win is going to make a big difference for us.
-Game notes mention issues on man down which haven't come up much here. I'm guessing with no midweek games for a bit they can spend more time at practice on things like that instead of multiple upcoming opponents.
early bracketology
https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/20 ... notre-dame
making the tournament, a home game, and avoiding loyola and unc would be helped by going on a nice run the next few weeks.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:11 pm
jhu06 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:03 pm the bookstore looks like an MS Word Windows 95 project made by a del boca vista seniors computer art group.
I honestly have no idea what this means.

06, if you're capable of answering a question (not sure if that feature is written into your code or not)
:lol:
primitiveskills

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:18 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tion/61069
"Both (hopkins and rutgers) are top heavy and rely on a few players for most of their scoring". I don't know much about Rutgers and I know Degnon has been consistent and Angelus has racked up assists but I thought we had decent depth scoring. Even my man Grime Dog McGoals got a few last weekend.
-Obviously rooting for the hoyas, jville, delaware this weekend. I don't ever want to root for cuse and notre dame isn't missing the tournament, and I'm not sure at this point an extra top 20 win is going to make a big difference for us.
-Game notes mention issues on man down which haven't come up much here. I'm guessing with no midweek games for a bit they can spend more time at practice on things like that instead of multiple upcoming opponents.
early bracketology
https://www.collegelacrosse.net/post/20 ... notre-dame
making the tournament, a home game, and avoiding loyola and unc would be helped by going on a nice run the next few weeks.
IL never ceases to amaze with their lazy "analysis". JHU, by numbers, is probably one of the country's least "top heavy" offenses. They've scored 130 goals, have 10 guys who've scored 6 or more, and their top 5 scorers have accounted for 63% of their goals. By contrast, Duke (which would never garner such a harsh comment from anyone on the IL staff), despite scoring 25 more goals than JHU, has only 7 guys who have scored more than 6 and their top 5 accounts for a whopping 73% of their goals.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Here is where I invite DMac, "Now do Georgetown."
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

This is a discussion about goals scored not shots taken :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

IL's "midseason AA" list is out:

Mazzone - 3rd team
Martin - HM

No Smith, Marcille, Angelus, Degnon, Collison, or Grimes (who quietly is up there statistically with some of the top middies). Not surprised by most of those, but the Smith disrespect is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to be his offensive assignment tomorrow.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:12 pm IL's "midseason AA" list is out:

Mazzone - 3rd team
Martin - HM

No Smith, Marcille, Angelus, Degnon, Collison, or Grimes (who quietly is up there statistically with some of the top middies). Not surprised by most of those, but the Smith disrespect is ridiculous. I wouldn't want to be his offensive assignment tomorrow.
There were 18 defensemen on the AA Team. Does that mean that, at best, Smith is the 19th best defenseman in the country??
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
primitiveskills

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:04 pm This is a discussion about goals scored not shots taken :lol:
Bingo!
primitiveskills

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:12 pm IL's "midseason AA" list is out:

Mazzone - 3rd team
Martin - HM

Ridiculous regarding Smith. If we want to start naming names on the top 3 teams, how about Saustad, who was terrible against us and even worse tonight. Owen Grant? Reflects IL staff preference for hightlight transition plays versus, well, you know, actual defending. No one on the HM list is even close to Smith.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”