All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: All Things Environment

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... interesting physics. I am not enough of an expert in solid state physics to know whether there is any near term useful engineered application. Obviously Hall Effect sensors, but I am not sure power consumption is a big enough issue in current solid state Hall Effect sensors to make this technology worth while in a real world environment.

It should be noted that the research was partially funded at the University of New South Wales by the Chinese government.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

:lol: :lol:

Tuvalu is a failed state with exactly two sources of de minimus income: government assistance from other countries, and license fees from the .tv domain registry.

The joker politician standing in seawater has the same energy as Anderson Copper stepping down into a pond to broadcast ‘torrential flooding’ or Jim Cantore bending over in 10mph wind to dramatize a hurricane. :lol: :lol:

The country is a basket case not because of global warming, but because it has never had any economy. And so they seize on the one thing they’re good at, bending the ear of sympathetic know nothing lib reporters to say the islands are sinking (they aren’t). And naturally, impressionable libs think they’re on the up and up.

It’s all a game of money, jhu. You’re being played every day by hucksters. Global warming is merely a method to tax the developed and undeveloped world, and transfer it to useless state agencies like the UN, who never solve anything, but interestingly always make bank for employees.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:12 am

Tuvalu is a failed state with exactly two sources of de minimus income: government assistance from other countries, and license fees from the .tv domain registry.

The joker politician standing in seawater has the same energy as Anderson Copper stepping down into a pond to broadcast ‘torrential flooding’ or Jim Cantore bending over in 10mph wind to dramatize a hurricane. :lol: :lol:

The country is a basket case not because of global warming, but because it has never had any economy. And so they seize on the one thing they’re good at, bending the ear of sympathetic know nothing lib reporters to say the islands are sinking (they aren’t). And naturally, impressionable libs think they’re on the up and up.

It’s all a game of money, jhu. You’re being played every day by hucksters. Global warming is merely a method to tax the developed and undeveloped world, and transfer it to useless state agencies like the UN, who alleviate nothing but make tons of bank for employees.
... yup, democrat hoax just like COVID.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:14 am

It’s all a game of money, jhu. You’re being played every day by hucksters. Global warming is merely a method to tax the developed and undeveloped world, and transfer it to useless state agencies like the UN, who alleviate nothing but make tons of bank for employees.

We agree!!

Not hoax like ‘it doesn’t exist’ but definitely a hoax like ‘we love to blindly obey orders from people who seem like they are making decisions based on partisan lefty biases and also from. where the money flows’.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Worth noting.....a few weeks ago, the DMV area had close to 3.5- 4" of rain fall within 24 hours and the flooding was very minimal, and this was with high winds/surges. Very little reporting, few images on local news, it was quite odd.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:03 pm Worth noting.....a few weeks ago, the DMV area had close to 3.5- 4" of rain fall within 24 hours and the flooding was very minimal, and this was with high winds/surges. Very little reporting, few images on local news, it was quite odd.
... what is the DMV area? Delaware, Maryland, Virginia??
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:27 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:14 am

We agree!!

Not hoax like ‘it doesn’t exist’ but definitely a hoax like ‘we love to blindly obey orders from people who seem like they are making decisions based on partisan lefty biases and also from. where the money flows’.
... no we don't agree, I am not buying your "definition"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:03 pm Worth noting.....a few weeks ago, the DMV area had close to 3.5- 4" of rain fall within 24 hours and the flooding was very minimal, and this was with high winds/surges. Very little reporting, few images on local news, it was quite odd.
DC, MD, VA
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:43 pm
DC, MD, VA
I'm sure a hop grad knows this term and was being faceitious I have to think??

I hated summers in DC, being built on swampland that would make E Rutherford blush. Hot times were nastier than NYC to me but not quite Florida. Looked forward to day trips east or west either out to Skyline Drive and the mountains between VA/W Va or out to Annapolis if I didn't need to be in the district.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:19 pm
DC, MD, VA

I hated summers in DC, being built on swampland that would make E Rutherford blush. Hot times were nastier than NYC to me but not quite Florida. Looked forward to day trips east or west either out to Skyline Drive and the mountains between VA/W Va or out to Annapolis if I didn't need to be in the district.
I have never heard the area referred to in that way. DELMARVA, sure. The Brits at one time gave embassy employees hazard pay for being stationed in DC. Still may.

As to YA's question. We had some hard rain, but agree no significant flooding up on my hill. I recall lower lying areas in the Patapsco, Gunpowder rivers valleys flooding a few inches, inner city, Baltimore harbor saw some flooding, again a few inches. But really no major gully washers that I am aware of. Flooding was certainly not widespread.

It may sound funny, flooding on a hill, but it is not. I have installed a major drainage system around my parking pad which sits at the top of the hill in the past five years. 5 or 6 years ago we started having whole well established gardens washed away, regularly during the spring and summer. Now everything goes underground with French drains down hill. The other thing we have seen a lot more of in the past half decade is moss in the laws and gardens. A decade ago we never saw moss in these areas. What is also true is that we get more rain out of storms than we normally used to. There is almost never a gentle rain anymore. We had a day of gentle rain a week or so ago, that was really nice. Can't remember the last time that happened.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:59 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:19 pm
DC, MD, VA

I have never heard the area referred to in that way. DELMARVA, sure. The Brits at one time gave embassy employees hazard pay for being stationed in DC. Still may.

As to YA's question. We had some hard rain, but agree no significant flooding up on my hill. I recall lower lying areas in the Patapsco, Gunpowder rivers valleys flooding a few inches, inner city, Baltimore harbor saw some flooding, again a few inches. But really no major gully washers that I am aware of. Flooding was certainly not widespread.

It may sound funny, flooding on a hill, but it is not. I have installed a major drainage system around my parking pad which sits at the top of the hill in the past five years. 5 or 6 years ago we started having whole well established gardens washed away, regularly during the spring and summer. Now everything goes underground with French drains down hill. The other thing we have seen a lot more of in the past half decade is moss in the laws and gardens. A decade ago we never saw moss in these areas. What is also true is that we get more rain out of storms than we normally used to. There is almost never a gentle rain anymore. We had a day of gentle rain a week or so ago, that was really nice. Can't remember the last time that happened.
To me Delmarva is a subsidiary bank of this bank my buddy just bought out on the eastern shore. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/6298604001

Probably isn’t hazard pay even to be on the SE side of the Anacostia these days with how gentrified most of the city has become. I financed a condo/townhouse development at the 1800 block of East Capitol Ave in 04-05 and its come a looong way since then.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Not sure where to put this but here it goes

The Business School E.S.G. Boom
Author Headshot
By Jenny Gross
Reporter, Express
A decade ago, the hottest M.B.A. courses typically covered topics such as game theory, valuing securities and negotiating mergers. Today, some of the most popular classes are about climate finance, impact investing and social entrepreneurship.

The University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business now offers more than 50 undergraduate and graduate courses related to social impact. The Duke University Fuqua School of Business recently added a course to its core curriculum called “Business and Common Purpose.” At Harvard Business School, 600 students took second-year elective courses related to social enterprise last year, compared with 251 in 2012.

“There’s been an explosion of interest from students,” said Todd Cort, a lecturer on sustainability at the Yale School of Management and the co-director of the school’s environment and business center.

This interest reflects an increase in jobs that require knowledge in E.S.G. topics.

Global sustainable investment topped $30 trillion in 2019 — up 68 percent since 2014, according to McKinsey. That has created more jobs in the field, which has pushed salaries higher for workers with the necessary skills. In addition, companies say they’re having an easier time recruiting junior employees than senior leaders in E.S.G. roles, which could give younger workers an advantage in climbing the corporate ladder (or allow them to start at a higher rung) than for the typical jobs for M.B.A. graduates.

Continue reading the main story
ADVERTISEMENT

Demand for workers who understand E.S.G. will likely continue to grow, said Bethany Patten, the senior associate director of the sustainability center at M.I.T. Sloan School of Management. In particular, she said, businesses will need to hire people to finance renewable energy projects and to disclose the risks they face from climate change, while investment firms will need analysts to evaluate exposure to climate change and make recommendations on sustainable investments.

The reshaping of business school curriculums also means that students whose job titles never explicitly include E.S.G. will enter the work force equipped with knowledge about topics like sustainability and equality. And that could ultimately have a significant impact on how businesses are run.

Social impact skills wanted
Companies and recruiters say that filling roles in the expanding E.S.G. sector isn’t always easy, despite the high interest among business school graduates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Helen Pradas-Page, the head of the banking and investment sector at Acre, a sustainability recruitment firm with offices in the United States and Europe, said that about 70 percent of the sustainable finance roles her firm filled over the last three years were newly created roles. She added that recruiting for mid- and senior-level positions was more challenging.

That’s because the pool of people who have worked in sustainable finance for more than 10 years is relatively small, she said. “It didn’t exist in the form that it does today.”

PwC has found a similar challenge in its recruiting. The company said in June that it would create 100,000 new positions over the next five years, many of which are focused on climate change risks and sustainability.

“There are not enough people today that know about E.S.G. challenges to meet the demand that exists,” Richard Oldfield, PwC’s global markets leader, said.

ADVERTISEMENT

While it is becoming more common for M.B.A. graduates to pursue social impact jobs, it is still an unconventional path. At Wharton, just 1.8 percent of students accepted jobs in social impact, compared with 61 percent of students who went into financial services or consulting. (That figure does not include students who took sustainability-focused roles at big companies where the primary focus is not social impact.) At Stanford, the percentage of business school graduates either taking jobs related to social impact or starting their own businesses in the field was 19 percent last year, an increase from eight percent four years ago, according to the school’s career center.

Some students have been deterred from applying for sustainability jobs because salaries tend to be lower than those in consulting, where the median starting salary of Wharton graduates, not including bonuses, is $165,000 a year, according to Wharton’s career report. Many students graduate from business school — where tuition alone can cost more than $150,000 for two years — with high levels of debt and are eager to pay it off quickly.

“There’s this tension for any student who wants to pursue sustainability, which is, ‘I have massive debt, but I also want to do good,’” Ms. Patten said. But jobs at banks and investment firms that require skills in both finance and sustainability are increasingly offering salaries in line with traditional finance jobs, or not that much lower, she said.

And the size of the paycheck may not be as big a factor as it once was. A Yale School of Management study, which has not yet been published, of more than 2,000 students across 29 business schools, found that 51 percent of students said they would accept a lower salary to work for an environmentally responsible company. That rose from 44 percent from five years ago, according to the study, written by Dr. Cort and others.

Beyond E.S.G. jobs
Regardless of the proportion of M.B.A. graduates who end up in social impact fields, rising interest could help E.S.G. considerations become a bigger part of business.

Over the past two years, Yale’s Dr. Cort said, professors have begun incorporating sustainability lessons into the required core courses like microeconomics, accounting and corporate finance.

That’s important to students like Neha Dalal, who graduated from Stanford’s Graduate School of Business in June. Ms. Dalal said she chose to pursue an M.B.A. because she wanted to learn how to use financial tools to solve social problems. At Stanford, she was an officer of the impact investing club, where students invested in early stage for-profit companies that aim to bring financial returns alongside social and environmental ones. The club was so popular that a third of students in the business school’s class of 2022 applied to join last year, she said.

Ms. Dalal, who works in philanthropy at an investment management firm, said business schools have a key role to play in teaching students about sustainability and ways to improve diversity, equity and inclusion, known as D.E.I.

She said that if students learn how to hire in ways that minimize bias and learn to invest in ways that consider environmental and social impact, they will continue to do so throughout their careers.

Business schools aren’t alone in making this shift. PwC is training large numbers of its staff — including auditors, management consultants and tax advisers — to be well versed in the challenges that climate change will pose to clients in the coming years. That includes how climate risks affect deal valuations, how companies can reduce carbon emissions and how companies can put reporting systems in place to comply with new regulations.

“Everybody in our organization has got to get to a base level of understanding of what the challenges are,” Mr. Oldfield said.

Costis Maglaras, the dean of Columbia Business School, said the new focus on social impact makes sense considering that climate change will affect every part of the way businesses operate over the coming years.

“Over the last two decades if you ask yourself, ‘What is the thing that really transformed businesses?’ It’s been technology, data, analytics,” Dr. Maglaras said. “If you were to ask what will transform businesses in the future, I believe it’s going to be climate change.”

What do you think? Is the focus on E.S.G. at business schools here to stay? Will the number of E.S.G. jobs continue to grow? Let us know: [email protected].
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!!!!! Ayeeeeeeer!!!

:lol:

Just kidding. Life is significantly better today and every day you wake up. Don’t ever believe the climate change crooks. Thanks.

C0285074-0966-401B-AE33-C04BFD240035.jpeg
C0285074-0966-401B-AE33-C04BFD240035.jpeg (111.29 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Look at the trend in extreme temperature

https://ourworldindata.org/ofdacred-int ... aster-data
CU88

Post by CU88 »

So obvious:

ENERGY
This Colorado 'solar garden' is literally a farm under solar panels
November 14, 20215:00 AM ET

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/14/10549425 ... -farm-land
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Is it like this one? https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRORpcLkHx ... =copy_link

Click to see the panels burying the mountain.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 pm Is it like this one? https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRORpcLkHx ... =copy_link

It turns my stomach to watch was a once decent man (before he arrived in DC) flush himself down the "I'm going to treat my voters like drooling morons" toilet.

The next panel on his instagram, YA?

"Stuck in traffic? Blame the Dems: here's why"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:59 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:14 pm Is it like this one? https://www.instagram.com/p/CWRORpcLkHx ... =copy_link

It turns my stomach to watch was a once decent man (before he arrived in DC) flush himself down the "I'm going to treat my voters like drooling morons" toilet.

The next panel on his instagram, YA?

"Stuck in traffic? Blame the Dems: here's why"
I do not disagree afan. The 140 character of less quotes are the way most communicate now, because its about all the attention span most have who live and breath their news, via social media.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”