Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
BlueJaySince1947

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Yes , Baltimore is a cesspool with an idiot for Mayor.
At one time it was a wonderful safe place with so many great ethnic neighborhoods.
But now...why would anyone choose to live in this tragic lawless broken city. :cry:
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

You folks need to get a new routine. In terms of East Coast metropolises you know its comparatively cheap as hell to live here right?...

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/bal ... study-said

You know what is super cool to have during your college years or any time at all really? A bigger "fun budget".
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HillsLax wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:51 pm Both Pietramala and Dwan were obese, and in my opinion were an embarrassment to the Athletic Department, the team and the University. If they did not care enough their own physical presence, they surely could not be credible role models. It sure seemed the fatter they got, the more they just mailed it in. Good riddance.
And yet you are giving “skinny FAT” Bob Benson a pass?

The weight of the previous coaching staff as talking point or as a commentary on their ability to coach is stale and ridiculous.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

1766 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:06 pm
HillsLax wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:51 pm Both Pietramala and Dwan were obese, and in my opinion were an embarrassment to the Athletic Department, the team and the University. If they did not care enough their own physical presence, they surely could not be credible role models. It sure seemed the fatter they got, the more they just mailed it in. Good riddance.
Coaches don't have to look like an Adonis but you have a point. Tough to demand the guys wake up and start grinding at 5:45AM when what are essentially their bosses are clearly not doing the same.
I disagree. The stories of Petro being in at 5am and leaving at 2am or bedding down in Cordish are legendary. He may not have been hitting the gym but you can’t accuse him of not grinding or mailing it in. Dwan and Petro were in shape when they played. Players know that and really that’s all that matters
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

As everyone knows, Bill Belichick, John Madden, Bobby Cox, Bill Parcells, Andy Reid, Bobby Bowden, and Vince Lomardi among many others were all famously fit and athletic as coaches and would routinely run wind sprints alongside their championship teams.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am As everyone knows, Bill Belichick, John Madden, Bobby Cox, Bill Parcells, Andy Reid, Bobby Bowden, and Vince Lomardi among many others were all famously fit and athletic as coaches and would routinely run wind sprints alongside their championship teams.
Hey you're forgetting John Harbaugh. Harbaugh does actually work out with his players. He's one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL and he just got a three year extension. There are benefits to practicing what you preach.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I thought Baltimore was the most underrated college town in America during my time. They did a wonderful job when I was there with events for all the schools and getting people to come into the inner harbor and the neighborhoods. I had friends who were married at Peapody. Lot of fantastic stuff.

Wonder which veteran is next to get epsteined after last weekends shellacking. Have to think that freshmen nearly a year in now should have to feel comfortable enough and the kids ahead of them have certaintly performed poorly enough to get some young blue jay chicks flying into the lineup.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Certainly, if you want to go visit a more expensive and "nicer" metropolis you're a fairly short train ride or Megabus away. Want to have a nice evening out at the ballpark for way cheaper than any other city in America? OPACY has you covered although I don't think they are doing the proper cheap Ollie's Bargain night anymore. Plenty of bars and things to do and other colleges students to get together with outside of your campus. Its impossible to recruit at Loyola too right?

Post by 1766 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:23 am As everyone knows, Bill Belichick, John Madden, Bobby Cox, Bill Parcells, Andy Reid, Bobby Bowden, and Vince Lomardi among many others were all famously fit and athletic as coaches and would routinely run wind sprints alongside their championship teams.
Hey you're forgetting John Harbaugh. Harbaugh does actually work out with his players. He's one of the longest tenured coaches in the NFL and he just got a three year extension. There are benefits to practicing what you preach.
Professional athletes are much different than college kids who are told when, where, and how to work out.

Pros are in charge of their own bodies.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CrookedJay wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:19 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:19 pm
CrookedJay wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:01 am
a fan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:57 pm
CrookedJay wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:17 pm Of course the teams that win have talent, but what you initially said was that the current players are not talented enough to do what the coach is asking. Without actually knowing what the coaches are asking its tough to know how absurd that statement is, but its on the scale.
Oh totally. Milliman isn't telling his goalie to keep the ball from going in the net. Or telling his players to put the ball past the goalie and into the net when they shoot. Or telling his faceoff team to win those draws. Or telling his D to clear the ball cleanly.

And when there's a loose ball? I heard Millman is telling his team NOT to pick up that GB.

Is that true? Because if it is, boy.......I think you need a new coach if you're looking to win more games.

Would you like to continue this absurd discussion?
No, and I think the phrase that comes to mind is to “never argue with a fool” I mean “a fan.”
You better hope thread "nanny" mdlaxfan don't come round these parts....what with your few posts........when you joined........he certainly has a word for these type of "posters" posts. carry on.....whomever you are.
Geez - can't mix a little Mark Twain in?
No objection to Mark Twain from these quarters.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:06 am

I disagree. The stories of Petro being in at 5am and leaving at 2am or bedding down in Cordish are legendary.
Tom Landry was once asked about Joe Gibbs sleeping in his office during the NFL season. His response was something to the tune of "I'd be embarressed that I couldn't get my job done where I had to sleep in the office." I think this is somewhat accurate. There is certainly a law of diminishing returns when this is regularly done. Further, there is such a thing as being overprepared.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:14 pm
"Losing weight may not be as simple as “eat less and exercise”.

DocBarrister
Sure. There is more to it but "eating less and exercising" goes a long way. Take from someone that recently lost 30lbs and still going. Closing your mouth goes a long way to demonstrating the "genetics" argument is a crutch for many - so is the nonsense - Body Positive movement out there. Sure, genetically, you may never get to 5-6% body fat but having no portion control tends to lead to being obese.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I am loathe to agree with 06 but he's spot on: Baltimore is a fun place to go to college if you make any sort of effort. If you're boring and scared then you're not going to have a good time. But tons of neighborhoods offer a lot for college kids to eat/drink/do/play: CV, Hampden, Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, Fed Hill, Harbor East, Canton. You've got Pimlico/Preakness, you've got the Ravens and Orioles, decent live music scene, museums, and if you want you're a dirt cheap MARC train ride away from DC. Having Hopkins, Loyola, Towson, Goucher, and MICA all in a 20-minute radius of eachother makes for an interesting mix. I'd imagine it's not all that unlike going to school in Philly between Penn, Nova, Drexel, St. Joe's, etc. In Baltimore's case the schools are even closer together. This was 10 years ago but I distinctly recall there being as much if not more co-eds from Loyola and Towson at our parties and PJ's/Maxie's than those of JHU. There was a lot of intermingling, especially among athletes. I enjoyed my time in Baltimore and never once felt like I was in The Wire, despite what the dog whistlers really want you to believe.
1766 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:01 pm Professional athletes are much different than college kids who are told when, where, and how to work out.
Yes, by a strength and conditioning coach. That's literally their job.

If your team strength coach — the guy who is giving you your workout and nutrition plan, etc. — looks like Fat Albert ate Kevin from The Office and can't do a push-up then, yeah, it might be hard to take his regimen seriously. Same reason why people are skeptical of personal trainers who clearly don't practice what they preach. But the expectations are not the same for a head/assistant coach. Kids don't give a sh*t.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:16 pm I enjoyed my time in Baltimore and never once felt like I was in The Wire, despite what the dog whistlers really want you to believe.
How can you not love the city of Baltimore? So much to do and see. Every large city in America has some seediness somewhere....
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:36 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:16 pm I enjoyed my time in Baltimore and never once felt like I was in The Wire, despite what the dog whistlers really want you to believe.
How can you not love the city of Baltimore? So much to do and see. Every large city in America has some seediness somewhere....
seediness makes it affordable. oriole park is a lot of fun and unlike fenway it doesn't snow in june. I think there's also only one us news school ranked near us or above us in duke that has better weather.
molo

Post by molo »

I’ve lived here for most of my 72 years, and while it may not be Barcelona, where my daughter has lived since graduating from college, or NYC, LA, Paris, or London, for a reasonably large American city, Baltimore is fine. If you like watching live lax, it can’t be beat February through May.
Doc is right that some cases of morbid obesity or genetic, the primary reason that we as a country have a weight problem is that we take in more calories tha we burn. At 5’9”, I work to stay under 170, which is the demarcation between being overweight and not for my height. BMI may not be perfect as a measure, but the majority of those with BMIs that it them in the overweight category are not heavily muscled elite athletes. There is absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging people to maintain a healthy weight. Some of the Body Positive stuff reminds my of a friend of my wife who says she can’t quit smoking. Anyone can, it’s just harder for some than others.
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

Are you people for real? Baltimore is simply a violent and somewhat lawless place. Sorry, but your chances of getting shot, robbed, carjacked etc... are just simply incredibly high. Heck my adult children won't let me take the grand kiddos to the Aquarium, The zoo or anywhere down town. All of their friends who 6 or 7 years ago bought in Fed Hill, Canton and Fells have sold and moved out once they settled and married or started having children. I love the JH campus, but the area has really changed and I think there are plenty of parents who would simply prefer to have their college age kids go somewhere safer. Nothing is perfect, but Baltimore is in a really bad place right now. (most Big cities are in the same place so its not just Baltimore and JH).
netminder

Post by netminder »

Kikin wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:38 pm Are you people for real? Baltimore is simply a violent and somewhat lawless place. Sorry, but your chances of getting shot, robbed, carjacked etc... are just simply incredibly high. Heck my adult children won't let me take the grand kiddos to the Aquarium, The zoo or anywhere down town. All of their friends who 6 or 7 years ago bought in Fed Hill, Canton and Fells have sold and moved out once they settled and married or started having children. I love the JH campus, but the area has really changed and I think there are plenty of parents who would simply prefer to have their college age kids go somewhere safer. Nothing is perfect, but Baltimore is in a really bad place right now. (most Big cities are in the same place so its not just Baltimore and JH).
Baltimore is in a bad place and maybe it does impact recruiting. You really can’t measure the kids that don’t or won’t consider your program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kikin wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:38 pm Heck my adult children won't let me take the grand kiddos to the Aquarium
Those poor kids, deprived of a fun experience because their parents are wimps

The Inner Harbor is a heavily commercialized tourist hub. The only thing dangerous about visiting the aquarium is falling into a shark tank

Baltimore rules

Post by 1766 »

Baltimore is very dangerous. It's starting to reach absurd levels of violence. The degradation of that city is very noticeable. Guilford at one time was a wonderful place. Now stick ups are happening on the reg.

There is nothing quaint or charming about Baltimore anymore. It's a lost city.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”