Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:40 am
steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 am (as I said being the OC at Hopkins for decade and not really sniffing a HC job tells you all you need to know what other schools felt about Benson).
You've said this exact line like 10 times and it just isn't true. He was a finalist for the UMBC job in 2016. Does that not count as "sniffing"? Maryland, our biggest rival who could have hired one of dozens of coordinators including several of its own alums, just hired Benson as OC. Is right now really the time to be making the argument that Benson isn't valued? You're free to criticize him all you want—I've done the same on occasion over the years—but if you're trying to say his reputation isn't good, then you'd be dead wrong.

As far as DeSimone goes it's clear he is more comfortable operating around the cage than he is dodging downhill from up top. You didn't have to make him a permanent attackman or bench Kyle Marr in order to capitalize on that. It was less that he was playing the wrong "position" and more that his skill set just wasn't being optimized. Him gaining weight sophomore year as 51 mentioned was a really strange decision—assuming it was a deliberate decision and not the result of injury or something.
What are your thoughts on how Epstein and DeSimone will coexist. Small sample size but it sure looks like they both are comfortable behind the net and probably both at their most effective there.
this rabid Hopkins fan just hopes Epstein takes Grimes under his wing.....Joey didn't have a great first day his rookie year, either.

gotta love GRIMES, too bad Hopkins defense has zero idea what this word means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9SGYBHY0qs
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 am (as I said being the OC at Hopkins for decade and not really sniffing a HC job tells you all you need to know what other schools felt about Benson).
You've said this exact line like 10 times and it just isn't true. He was a finalist for the UMBC job in 2016. Does that not count as "sniffing"? Maryland, our biggest rival who could have hired one of dozens of coordinators including several of its own alums, just hired Benson as OC. Is right now really the time to be making the argument that Benson isn't valued? You're free to criticize him all you want—I've done the same on occasion over the years—but if you're trying to say his reputation isn't good, then you'd be dead wrong.

As far as DeSimone goes it's clear he is more comfortable operating around the cage than he is dodging downhill from up top. You didn't have to make him a permanent attackman or bench Kyle Marr in order to capitalize on that. It was less that he was playing the wrong "position" and more that his skill set just wasn't being optimized. Him gaining weight sophomore year as 51 mentioned was a really strange decision—assuming it was a deliberate decision and not the result of injury or something.
It’s about time to stop disparaging Bobby Benson. Folks may disagree with some of his decisions, but for more than a decade he was one of the better OCs in college lacrosse. You don’t get to be OC at both Hopkins and Maryland without being good at your job. I’ll take the judgment of Pietramala and Tillman over the critics here.

Fact is, the Blue Jays’ problems were mostly in goal and on defense in recent years. As many of us asserted, and Coach Pietramala recently conceded, what Petro and Hopkins needed was a real, separate defensive coordinator, not an associate head coach (good guy as he is) who was “along for the ride” (Petro’s words, not mine).

Congratulations to Maryland on the excellent hire. Has anyone previously served as an OC both at Hopkins and Maryland? Got to be a little strange for Benson to put on a Maryland sweatshirt.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

don't throw that coach under the bus. watch out, move over, while i throw this one...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the foy podcast which makes some of you as excited as a saturday night on d level is up
-QK goes after epstein for not consistently making enough of an impact
-foy said dipietro isn't a serious or even week to week issue
-they think the ssdms and lsms are garbage
-as 51 pointed out, we used to be great against the zone on offense because of our shooters but we lack that
-they want more zone on d

-disimone issue is why dyer should've been shown the door. we have not been athletic, quick, good on qbs, muscular enough, and a number of other things that are his purview.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 am don't throw that coach under the bus. watch out, move over, while i throw this one...
probably should take his hopkins stuff, lock it in the basement. Can't imagine getting up early when its dark making a mistake and walking into college park w/a great day to be a blue jay shirt on.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:02 pm -disimone issue is why dyer should've been shown the door. we have not been athletic, quick, good on qbs, muscular enough, and a number of other things that are his purview.
and another coach bites the dust.
jhu08

Post by jhu08 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:10 am
Maybe 4-6 assuming 2 wins against Michigan.
I sent a PM to a frequent Hopkins poster the other day, with my guesses at the final Big Ten standings after seeing the week 1 games. I had us with the same record.

I didn't post it in the Big Ten thread because I didn't want to upset a certain fanbase with my "low" expectations for them this year - and subsequently end up arguing over them about it. :roll:

If we are 4-6 (or 3-7 or 5-5 or whatever), it's fine. We need to be playing better heading into the Big Ten tourney than we are right now. That's all that really matters this year.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 am don't throw that coach under the bus. watch out, move over, while i throw this one...
+1
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:02 pm -disimone issue is why dyer should've been shown the door. we have not been athletic, quick, good on qbs, muscular enough, and a number of other things that are his purview.
Yes everyone knows groundballs fall under the preview of the strength coach.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:57 pm
You are right the strength and conditioning coach has nothing to do with a players athletic development. :o
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Facts support my argument. 13 year as the OC at Hopkins and not a single job offer to be an HC. Defense certainly had its own issues the last decade under DP but the offense wasn't burning up the charts under Benson - I mean I guess if you think scoring 2 goals in a loss at Navy and only scoring 4 goals in a homecoming game against Loyola or that 4-5 OT loss to Syracuse as not providing some level of stink on the OC, not sure what to tell you. Those are just 3 games off the top of my head of just absolute poor offensive performances. I can find more if you want.

Given the offensive talent Benson was provided (and we can argue some about the guys he wanted), the offense under performed.

I'm glad he has another job - good for him. Can't wait to hear similar complaints from Twerp fans in the future.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm
You are right the strength and conditioning coach has nothing to do with a players athletic development. :o
No strength coach can take an unathletic kid and turn him into an athlete. Even if he could, groundballs are less about pure athleticism and more about stick work, desire, and strategy (man/ball, etc.), in my opinion. Seems like those things probably aren't the responsibility of the guy whose job is writing the offseason workout packet. This kinda reminds me of when someone tried to blame awful SSDM play on Ron Daniels.
steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pm
Facts support my argument. 13 year as the OC at Hopkins and not a single job offer to be an HC. Defense certainly had its own issues the last decade under DP but the offense wasn't burning up the charts under Benson - I mean I guess if you think scoring 2 goals in a loss at Navy and only scoring 4 goals in a homecoming game against Loyola or that 4-5 OT loss to Syracuse as not providing some level of stink on the OC, not sure what to tell you. Those are just 3 games off the top of my head of just absolute poor offensive performances. I can find more if you want.

Given the offensive talent Benson was provided (and we can argue some about the guys he wanted), the offense under performed.

I'm glad he has another job - good for him. Can't wait to hear similar complaints from Twerp fans in the future.
You're moving the goalposts a bit. First he didn't sniff another job, and now he has to have been formally offered one? How do you know he wasn't offered the UMBC job? How do you know he wasn't in the mix for any other jobs over the years and it just wasn't publicized? You clearly didn't know he was in the running for the UMBC gig so it stands to reason you are not privy to what's going on at any of these schools. This is lacrosse we're talking about, these coaching searches don't get much publicity. Until very recently when IL and College Crosse started covering some of the bigger openings we really had no idea who even were candidates for a lot of jobs, especially the smaller ones. Using the fact that he isn't a head coach as some sort of barometer of his overall reputation among other coaches doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Maryland just hired him and they have championship aspirations this year. That should tell you all you need to know about what Tillman thinks of him.

Again, you can say the offense underperformed all you want. Sometimes it did! We're in agreement there. But the notion that because he isn't a head coach means he's not respected is flat out wrong. Go ask around. Seriously. He's very well thought of as a lacrosse mind. That, too, is a fact.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:21 pm
dyer and the goalie coach are the same thing, big reputations whose backers always defaulted to "you can't make a fancy meal w/bad groceries". Many of you are spending a lot of $ on all these nutrition and training bells and whistles for these kids who are less athletic, physical and fast as the kids 15 years ago recruited by the same staff who ate the same terrace pizza/french toast and sub sandwiches/pjs taco tuesday as the general student body and didn't have the same problems on the field getting ground balls etc.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

odd hire by Tillman, for a number of reasons. Benson will prove to be a pedestrian hire, and will certainly have positive benefits. Pedestrian, because any offensive Coord. handed this TERPS offense is going to succeed.

but, the swoon, also IS a little odd. (regarding Bensons coaching opportunities )

Let us not forget the "butterfly" aspect that lead to his hire in College Park. Timing, eh ;) not necessarily an "emergency" hire, but pretty gosh darn close to it.

plus, Tillman still uses a "roladex" and he happened to be the first "B" to come up.

"sure, I'll take the job......all I have to do is tell , almost a dozen different people, to just run by their guy and ping the shot ? "

YUP, Coach John said.....

"even guys like Kyle Long ? "

YES.....even Kyle, said Coach John.

"so, the hardest part, will be learning all the guys names. I can handle THAT"

Benson asked one final question, "you want me to work with the goalies like I did......."

" NO.".....screamed coach John, " stay the F away from the goalies"
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Tillman’s personal work with the goalies is a major factor in Maryland’s success the past decade.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29 pm
+1
If either of you have a problem with that, take it up with Coach Pietramala and let him know what you think about what he said.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm
+1
If either of you have a problem with that, take it up with Coach Pietramala and let him know what you think about what he said.

DocBarrister 8-)
yea, i'm sure you didn't take that out of context. got the full quote, before and after?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-Last time I checked Benson and Tillman had the same number of championship rings and benson had one fewer ff appearance as a player and coach.
-Has to make the Hopkins haters feel awful seeing Hopkins at its nadir still haul in the nations number 4 recruiting class. For a school in a trash city that doesn't have phalanxes of smokeshows falling out of dorm rooms, olympic caliber training facilities and majors in basket weaving that don't require studying we seem to still do ok w/the kiddos. You hate to think how saturday evenings in the spring are going to feel for our enemies when our guys finally start delivering on their talent. In true IL form their piece has editing mistakes you wouldn't see in your childs middle school newspaper. The second half of the paragraph bears watching and I'm sure we'll see come into focus next fall when guys milliman recruited step onto homewood against petro guys.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/57332
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

damn you, hopkins and your #4 il recruiting class!!!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm
+1

DocBarrister 8-)
yea, i'm sure you didn't take that out of context. got the full quote, before and after?
Have you even viewed the recent interview video with Petro?

There’s a link to it on this thread. Watch it ... Petro clearly states that one thing he would do differently is have a defensive coordinator. He also states that Dwan “was also along for the ride.”

I’m sure Petro remains good friends with Dwan, but those statements aren’t exactly a ringing endorsement of his former associate head coach.

So ... please stop doing your usual thing, which is posting before you do your homework, and watch the video interview.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”