Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Matnum PI »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm“When I stepped on campus, I just felt it right away,” Trepeta said. “The campus was beautiful, and I was looking for academics along with lacrosse. It’s a top-10 academic school and Hopkins is the original great program. When I saw Homewood Field, I knew that I wanted to be a part of their tradition.”
This rings true. Hopkins Academics along with Hopkins Lacrosse. Pretty straight-down-the-middle. The right school for the right student-athlete.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:40 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm“When I stepped on campus, I just felt it right away,” Trepeta said. “The campus was beautiful, and I was looking for academics along with lacrosse. It’s a top-10 academic school and Hopkins is the original great program. When I saw Homewood Field, I knew that I wanted to be a part of their tradition.”
This rings true. Hopkins Academics along with Hopkins Lacrosse. Pretty straight-down-the-middle. The right school for the right student-athlete.
what professors exactly did they say make it the right academic environment?

after yesterdays disaster I wonder if whatevers left on the depth chart that hasn't been tried gets a look this week.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Just too simple.

And time does pass some coaches by.
So here's Doc's list of coaches who have had multiple sub-Final Four years of late, yet have made Final Fours when they have the roster.

Desko, Petro, Tierney, Tambroni, Toomey, Nadelen, Corrigan, Marr. Don't you think that it's just a tad absurd to say think that the sport has passed them all by....? Is your ego THAT big, Doc?
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Same for Petro’s defense. The entire premise is outdated. The notion that stick technology makes attempted takeaways imprudent and not worthwhile? Just watch the Hopkins O (or the Hopkins D on their better days) and you know that’s not true.

In fact, aggressive defensive play is more important than ever because of stick technology. Petro’s defensive schemes called for giving opponents bad-angle, off-hand, or 15+ yard shots and relying on the goalie to save those. But you just can’t let opponents take those shots cleanly anymore. Stick technology allows harder, faster, more accurate shots.
Yes, Doc. You know more about Defensive play that Dave Pietramala. What was I thinking? Make sure you get your groundbreaking, cutting edge defensive schemes to the Hop AD before it's too late.
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Players are more athletic. You can’t let anyone take a clean shot anymore.
:lol: You haven't watched Syracuse or Hopkins play. Yes, you CAN let those players take a free shot, Doc. They can't hit the broad side of a barn. It's one huge reason both teams keep losing.

You know who you can't let take a free shot? Maryland. They're shooting 40% as a team, Doc. And you hilariously want to put these numbers on coaching. Because Milliman is telling your players to keep shooting wide by 5 yards when they shoot. They're at 27% as a team. Gee, why are they losing?
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Just not as simple as you make it out to be, a fan.

DocBarrister
Great. Then it should be easy for you to name multiple Final Four Hopkins squads that didn't have elite talent.

The floor is yours....
bananas

Post by bananas »

Hopkins was down five with less than four minutes to go but swinging ball around on perimeter for much of shot clock .

No sense of urgency. What was up with that?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:24 pm

So here's Doc's list of coaches who have had multiple sub-Final Four years of late, yet have made Final Fours when they have the roster.

Desko, Petro, Tierney, Tambroni, Toomey, Nadelen, Corrigan, Marr. Don't you think that it's just a tad absurd to say think that the sport has passed them all by....? Is your ego THAT big, Doc?
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Same for Petro’s defense. The entire premise is outdated. The notion that stick technology makes attempted takeaways imprudent and not worthwhile? Just watch the Hopkins O (or the Hopkins D on their better days) and you know that’s not true.

In fact, aggressive defensive play is more important than ever because of stick technology. Petro’s defensive schemes called for giving opponents bad-angle, off-hand, or 15+ yard shots and relying on the goalie to save those. But you just can’t let opponents take those shots cleanly anymore. Stick technology allows harder, faster, more accurate shots.
Yes, Doc. You know more about Defensive play that Dave Pietramala. What was I thinking? Make sure you get your groundbreaking, cutting edge defensive schemes to the Hop AD before it's too late.
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Players are more athletic. You can’t let anyone take a clean shot anymore.
:lol: You haven't watched Syracuse or Hopkins play. Yes, you CAN let those players take a free shot, Doc. They can't hit the broad side of a barn. It's one huge reason both teams keep losing.

You know who you can't let take a free shot? Maryland. They're shooting 40% as a team, Doc. And you hilariously want to put these numbers on coaching. Because Milliman is telling your players to keep shooting wide by 5 yards when they shoot. They're at 27% as a team. Gee, why are they losing?
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm Just not as simple as you make it out to be, a fan.

DocBarrister
Great. Then it should be easy for you to name multiple Final Four Hopkins squads that didn't have elite talent.

The floor is yours....
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CrookedJay

Post by CrookedJay »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:24 pm

DocBarrister

The floor is yours....
So when Maryland and UVA play each other, the lacrosse version of "America's Got Talent," what gives? Or what about when we played Duke in 07' final, who beat us by 15 in the regular season?

Of course the teams that win have talent, but what you initially said was that the current players are not talented enough to do what the coach is asking. Without actually knowing what the coaches are asking its tough to know how absurd that statement is, but its on the scale.

Regarding Doc's assertion that the game has passed DP by - the answer is no. Sure, he could tell the kids to play more aggressively, but that leads to getting beat more often and a more up tempo game, which, did not/does not play to the overall strength of his team. And, a 15 yarder (almost a 2 pointer) should be saved if you have a decent goalie. The goal looks mighty small from the 2pt arc (trust me) and you lose if those are the bulk of your shots. I do not see the issue with that approach.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CrookedJay wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:17 pm Of course the teams that win have talent, but what you initially said was that the current players are not talented enough to do what the coach is asking. Without actually knowing what the coaches are asking its tough to know how absurd that statement is, but its on the scale.
Oh totally. Milliman isn't telling his goalie to keep the ball from going in the net. Or telling his players to put the ball past the goalie and into the net when they shoot. Or telling his faceoff team to win those draws. Or telling his D to clear the ball cleanly.

And when there's a loose ball? I heard Millman is telling his team NOT to pick up that GB.

Is that true? Because if it is, boy.......I think you need a new coach if you're looking to win more games.

Would you like to continue this absurd discussion?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

a fan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:57 pm
CrookedJay wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:17 pm Of course the teams that win have talent, but what you initially said was that the current players are not talented enough to do what the coach is asking. Without actually knowing what the coaches are asking its tough to know how absurd that statement is, but its on the scale.
Oh totally. Milliman isn't telling his goalie to keep the ball from going in the net. Or telling his players to put the ball past the goalie and into the net when they shoot. Or telling his faceoff team to win those draws. Or telling his D to clear the ball cleanly.

And when there's a loose ball? I heard Millman is telling his team NOT to pick up that GB.

Is that true? Because if it is, boy.......I think you need a new coach if you're looking to win more games.

at least the lacrosse team can feel relieved it doesn't have screeching owls outside the windows of the clc like some members of the hopkins community will have this week.

https://www.peta.org/media/news-release ... president/
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Add the unique requests of: “Beat your man. Draw the slide. Move the ball. And finish.”
CrookedJay

Post by CrookedJay »

No, and I think the phrase that comes to mind is to “never argue with a fool” I mean “a fan.”
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

CrookedJay wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:01 am

No, and I think the phrase that comes to mind is to “never argue with a fool” I mean “a fan.”
It's like a nature versus nurture debate.
You have to have the players to win, but you can't discount coaching.
For instance, I think this Hopkins team should basically focus on fundamentals right now. Practice ground balls, clearing, and ball security. Concentrate on not beating yourselves. Don't make bad passes through traffic. Don't force it. Let the game come to them. Let it flow.
Have fun.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'm not the one who's intentionally misrepresenting what another poster is saying, in order to pick a fight. Of course I don't know what, for instance, specific offensive sets Milliman is asking his players to execute. Yep, you're right. I don't know that.

Of course, that's not what I wrote. What I wrote was Hopkins players are not talented enough to run a pick and roll, dodge or pass better than the opposing team. It's why they keep losing. The other teams they are losing to have better players.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:40 am

I'm not the one who's intentionally misrepresenting what another poster is saying, in order to pick a fight. Of course I don't know what, for instance, specific offensive sets Milliman is asking his players to execute. Yep, you're right. I don't know that.

Of course, that's not what I wrote. What I wrote was Hopkins players are not talented enough to run a pick and roll, dodge or pass better than the opposing team. It's why they keep losing. The other teams they are losing to have better players.
Exactly. The talent deficit has been obvious since the Georgetown game, which was all but over at halftime.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:56 am It's like a nature versus nurture debate.
You have to have the players to win, but you can't discount coaching.
Agree completely.

But the context of my conversation with Doc is among coaches who have already made it to Final Fours. In some cases, MANY Final Fours. Proven coaches....many are going to the HOF.

They're already a proven commodity who have proven...again, in many cases multiple times.....that if you give them the players, they're gonna win a ton of games, and make Final Fours.

So IMHO, it's absurd to claim that the reason that Tierney, Petro, Desko, Corrigan, Toomey, and Tambroni haven't made Final Fours of late is because every single one of them got a case of the "Coaching Yips", and are all "coaching wrong". They simply don't have the horses to do it.

Back to discussion of current games......apologies for the thread drift...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Coaches get too much credit and too much blame.
How much coaching did Marechek, Paul and Gary, McCabe, the Powells, Joel White...etc, need?
a fan is right on the money.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:13 pm Coaches get too much credit and too much blame.
even if they're overweight and setting a bad example for their players? didn't someone here say that was an issue that affected performance? struggling to remember who but pretty sure it was said
DMac

Post by DMac »

You're not struggling to remember, you know damn well it was I who said that and I feel no differently about it today than I did when I wrote it. Anyone who has lost 50, 75, 100 lbs knows damn well they feel better about themselves, have a whole lot more energy, and perform better than they did when they were carrying around a barrel of lard all day. Don't know what your issue is with this....just the facts ma'am.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:39 pm You're not struggling to remember, you know damn well it was I who said that and I feel no differently about it today than I did when I wrote it. Anyone who has lost 50, 75, 100 lbs knows damn well they feel better about themselves, have a whole lot more energy, and perform better than they did when they were carrying around a barrel of lard all day. Don't know what your issue is with this....just the facts ma'am.
It's pretty hard to get on players about their weight when you're tipping the truck scales yourself.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Doc what the hell is this tweet

I was searching jhumenslacrosse on twitter because I was looking for a clip of one of the goals from over the weekend and came across this. Why are you tagging freshman Jack Charboneau in your tweet about Epstein? Really bizarre behavior

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”