Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LarryGamLax

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by LarryGamLax »

Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:36 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:46 pm Don’t let anybody intimidate you, Cagekeeper. Your opinions are just as relevant and valuable as anyone else in this forum.
Not intimidated at all. And I’m not saying anyone would transfer. Had spallina gotten the job I know some would have. My point was, KT will be eager to prove herself. And some may not be as eager as others to put the work in

Why do you think players would have transferred out if Joe Spallina had become the HC?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

This is a great hire and a great story. Cuse clearly had a preference for keeping it in the family, good for them. There were probably more experienced candidates, but understandably, the local legend won the day. Best of luck to the new ‘coach K’ as she heads back home.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 pm
Cletus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:46 pm Don’t let anybody intimidate you, Cagekeeper. Your opinions are just as relevant and valuable as anyone else in this forum.
Not intimidated at all. And I’m not saying anyone would transfer. Had spallina gotten the job I know some would have. My point was, KT will be eager to prove herself. And some may not be as eager as others to put the work in
Why would you suggest this? Do you think KT will be more physically demanding than Gary? That her desire to prove herself is greater than GG’s desire to win? I guess I don’t see it. You will always have players that decide the work is not worth it but after coming up 1 game short of the National Championship everyone knows the work needed to be put in.
Yes I do think that she will be more physically Demanding. I think that if you watch the press conference she clearly says this team needs more discipline. And I believe that if a player is not working too hard potential that she will make adjustments were maybe there haven’t been any.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 pm
Why would you suggest this? Do you think KT will be more physically demanding than Gary? That her desire to prove herself is greater than GG’s desire to win? I guess I don’t see it. You will always have players that decide the work is not worth it but after coming up 1 game short of the National Championship everyone knows the work needed to be put in.
Yes I do think that she will be more physically Demanding. I think that if you watch the press conference she clearly says this team needs more discipline. And I believe that if a player is not working too hard potential that she will make adjustments were maybe there haven’t been any.
I don’t necessarily equate discipline with being physically demanding. I guess we will see.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

LarryGamLax wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:39 pm

Why do you think players would have transferred out if Joe Spallina had become the HC?
I agree that some players would likely have transferred/decommitted (likewise, some players/recruits would have followed him). Spallina is really good at coaching the way he coaches, and I've heard plenty of his players talk incredibly highly of him. But he's polarizing and has a very different coaching style than Gait. The difference in style would have been jarring. (FTR I'm still in the camp that Spallina wouldn't have left SBU anyway.)

I suppose anytime you lose a coach of Gait's caliber—a coach that players specifically come to a program to play for—there's a chance of attrition. But I think with KT it will be minimal. If you've always wanted to play for Gary Gait, KT is probably the next best thing. She knows how to balance encouraging creativity with instilling discipline. And I don't think the girls at Syracuse are going to shy away from hard work, high standards, etc. They're competitors, they came to Cuse to win.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

I am sure people will say I am attacking her character; I am not. I am sure some people will say I am being misogynistic. I am not.

How does an ACC school that just played in the national championship game justify hiring a 27 year old with no head coaching experience? Would this happen in football, men’s/women’s basketball, softball/baseball, etc.?

I don’t know KT. I am sure she is great and she may do a fantastic job. But, I don’t understand how these hires are made in the first place. The bottom of the release says pending board approval. Does anyone on the board read her resume and say “how old is she? She has never been a head coach? Would we tenure a professor that just finished graduate school?”

This type of job is a dream job in other sports. A top five program nationally in a Power 5 conference. Most assistants in other sports work their whole careers to get these gigs. How did this become an acceptable thing in women’s lax, but not elsewhere?
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm I am sure people will say I am attacking her character; I am not. I am sure some people will say I am being misogynistic. I am not.

How does an ACC school that just played in the national championship game justify hiring a 27 year old with no head coaching experience? Would this happen in football, men’s/women’s basketball, softball/baseball, etc.?

I don’t know KT. I am sure she is great and she may do a fantastic job. But, I don’t understand how these hires are made in the first place. The bottom of the release says pending board approval. Does anyone on the board read her resume and say “how old is she? She has never been a head coach? Would we tenure a professor that just finished graduate school?”

This type of job is a dream job in other sports. A top five program nationally in a Power 5 conference. Most assistants in other sports work their whole careers to get these gigs. How did this become an acceptable thing in women’s lax, but not elsewhere?
Excellent question.

You could ask BC who hired AWW at 28 or NW who hired KAH at 26 I believe. They would certainly give you a better answer than anyone on these boards.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:11 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm I am sure people will say I am attacking her character; I am not. I am sure some people will say I am being misogynistic. I am not.

Excellent question.

You could ask BC who hired AWW at 28 or NW who hired KAH at 26 I believe. They would certainly give you a better answer than anyone on these boards.
+1

Joe
Bart

Post by Bart »

Excellent question.

I should have been fair question.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Excellent question.

Oh, I am aware there have been others hired at this age. That is the entire point of my post. How does that happen in this sport and not others? And I understand AWW and KAH have had success. How has it worked out for Shannon Smith at Hofstra?

I guess I have just always viewed sports as the ultimate meritocracy. A place where you have to earn it. Climb the ladder. Particularly college athletics. Maybe I am just the old man yelling get off my lawn. But, if I am a successful head coach in my 30s/40s/50s who applied for this position and didn't get it, I would have to be slightly bitter.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Excellent question.

Oh, I am aware there have been others hired at this age. That is the entire point of my post. How does that happen in this sport and not others? And I understand AWW and KAH have had success. How has it worked out for Shannon Smith at Hofstra?

I guess I have just always viewed sports as the ultimate meritocracy. A place where you have to earn it. Climb the ladder. Particularly college athletics. Maybe I am just the old man yelling get off my lawn. But, if I am a successful head coach in my 30s/40s/50s who applied for this position and didn't get it, I would have to be slightly bitter.
Why would you be bitter? Maybe KT is just a better fit. And has the ability to get the job done while connecting with her team. AWW had a baby strapped to her for god sake and still kicked ass.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

If I were an accomplished head coach and I was in the running for this job, I would be bitter because a young woman five years out of college who had never sat in the boss' chair got a top 5 head coaching job...but thats just me. It has nothing to do with it being KT. Like I said, I don't know her. Never met her. Am sure she is great. Just merely talking about resumes, experience, job selection process, and the unique culture in women's lacrosse that seemingly doesn't exist in any other sport.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:01 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Excellent question.

Why would you be bitter? Maybe KT is just a better fit. And has the ability to get the job done while connecting with her team. AWW had a baby strapped to her for god sake and still kicked ass.
Not sure where the AWW anecdote fits in, but that is freaking awesome. I watch my wife do it everyday as well. Super impressive.
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:06 pm If I were an accomplished head coach and I was in the running for this job, I would be bitter because a young woman five years out of college who had never sat in the boss' chair got a top 5 head coaching job...but thats just me. It has nothing to do with it being KT. Like I said, I don't know her. Never met her. Am sure she is great. Just merely talking about resumes, experience, job selection process, and the unique culture in women's lacrosse that seemingly doesn't exist in any other sport.
Schools like to hire their own when they can. How old was levy when she started unc. I personally feel she’s a better fit than spallina. He is successful in his own way but I don’t think Cuse is the right fit for him
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

She may very well turn out to be a better fit than Spallina, only time will tell.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Excellent question.

KAH took over a brand new program didn’t she that hadn’t been a varsity sport for 10 years?

AWW had 7 years of coaching experience before the BC head coach job I think - some of which was as the Associate Head Coach of that program.

Appreciate the age comparison is valid, but not sure the scenarios are comparable to KT stepping into the Cuse position with a history of being a ranked team and just making a national championship game.

Not a slight on KT, just wanted to bring some perspective as I think LaxPundit’s viewpoint and question is fair!
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxlaxlax wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm

Excellent question.

KAH took over a brand new program didn’t she that hadn’t been a varsity sport for 10 years?

AWW had 7 years of coaching experience before the BC head coach job I think - some of which was as the Associate Head Coach of that program.

Appreciate the age comparison is valid, but not sure the scenarios are comparable to KT stepping into the Cuse position with a history of being a ranked team and just making a national championship game.

Not a slight on KT, just wanted to bring some perspective as I think LaxPundit’s viewpoint and question is fair!
“Prior to working with the Eagles, Walker was the associate head coach at the University of Massachusetts. During her tenure, Walker acted as the offensive coordinator, handled recruiting responsibilities and helped lead the team to two consecutive Atlantic-10 Conference championships. She also handled travel, budget management, video breakdown, and camps.

From 2005-08, she was an assistant coach at Northwestern, where the Wildcats won three consecutive NCAA National Championships and three consecutive American Lacrosse Conference titles.”
Cagekeeper

Post by Cagekeeper »

Excellent question.

Ok so let me ask you this. GG has been the head coach for numerous years. Lotsss of hc experience. Numerous superstar players. Yet can’t quite get that natty. So your point just made my point. She has just as much chance of success as anyone twice her age
Bart

Post by Bart »

Excellent question.

It is a fair question to ask. From a quick look at the ACC it looks as if Levy, Meyers, AWW now KT all got gigs w/o HC experience. Kimmel started her career as Davidsons Head coach right out of the gate, did that for a year then moved to Duke. So it appears these hiring practices are nothing new.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:44 pm It is a fair question to ask. From a quick look at the ACC it looks as if Levy, Meyers, AWW now KT all got gigs w/o HC experience. Kimmel started her career as Davidsons Head coach right out of the gate, did that for a year then moved to Duke. So it appears these hiring practices are nothing new.
I don't think Kimel, Levy, Myers really fit in with AWW and KT (Lindsey Munday also fits in with the latter group). Women's lacrosse was a VERY small world in the 1990s and an accomplished playing career was more meaningful then. I don't think that trend has necessarily really continued. AWW put in the work and rose quickly because she's a talented coach, not because she was a talented player. KT is the exception, not the rule, with her alma mater taking a chance on her after she's shown a LOT of potential as a coach in her own right. But look at kids like Apuzzo, Meg Taylor, McCool, etc. who all had phenomenal playing careers and are now putting in the work. Other big hires in recent years have been Kristen Skiera to VT, Scott Teeter to Louisville, Danielle Spencer to Stanford... all of whom had lengthy resumes at the time of their hires.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”