norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:06 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:03 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:50 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:43 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:35 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:22 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:15 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:26 am What I want to see from this staff is an ability to translate on field success to recruiting. Aka, begin to land top 15 recruiting whales much like Hopkins' rivals have done.
It’s not that easy. Denver won a NC and it never translated. OSU went to the final 4 (back to back year if I remember correctly) and the 5 stars still went to the ACC. PSU didn’t get much follow through. Right now the majority of top recruits have the ACC tattood on their minds. Nobody in lacrosse has seemed to come up with a sales pitch to counter the ACC.
Take a look at Maryland and Ivies. Hopkins was landing 5 stars with regularity without winning just a few years ago - no reason why it can't reverse the trend.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... and/4/2024
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... on/32/2024
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... on/32/2023
Princeton has done very well.. they are the kings in the IVy in recruiting. Selling that Ivy education and a nice campus. Yale hasn’t done much and been more successful. Cornell is the same. Maryland has seemed to trail off and they have been arguably the best program in lacrosse the last decade. That’s 2 schools. Look at UNC. Whose coach has been rumored to be on the verge of losing his job the last 2 years.. They still kill it. That doesn’t happen in any other conference. Honestly, what’s the pitch for Hopkins over a school like UVA?
A better education? Small class sizes? Lax as the top sport on campus? Stanwicks came here for a reason.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/62256

Take a look at that - it shows very strong school and conference distribution. Does 5 star translate to auto success? Ofcourse not - Duke missed the tournament 2 years ago. UNC is a story on repeat.

However with the right coaching staff, 5 stars mean probabilistically better talent. Take a look at the All American list, I'd dare say the majority are 5 stars with O'Neill, Shellenberger, Kirst, etc.
Most these kids are business majors and Hopkins isn’t a better education. The campus is far from a positive. Small school aspect will turn some kids away. Same goes for the neighborhood. Hopkins is still in the show me phase. Recruits today haven’t seen Hopkins with top lacrosse program. Hopkins has been mediocre the majority of their lives
Hopkins has already won multiple recruits over UVa and other ACC schools on its roster. If you don't think Hopkins offers a better education with higher desirability than UVa which has a lower yield and entering freshman stats despite cheaper instate tuition, I don't know what to tell you. Lacrosse players here major in Econ which more than enough for Wall Street and its ilk.

Hopkins has had losing seasons, and mediocrity recently. Then again, it landed Scott Smith, Casey McDermott, and Brendan Grimes (all with ACC offers) in the same year: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/commits/jhu/2020 during a dark period.

I don't get your point.
I said most of these kids are business majors and Hopkins isn’t a top business school. If they are into Medical or Engineering, then Hopkins is an amazing school.

My point is it takes more than a single year to garner recruiting success. Hopkins isn’t the program you grew up watching. Milkman didn’t inherit NC caliber teams to pad his resume. He isn’t a lacrosse legend like Petro was. They will get some kids based on location and history, but overall they are getting their lunch taken by better programs (namely UVA).
Does Duke offer a business major? Do they have a large student body? Sure they have DI sports, but similar enough as Durham isn't a top tier city either.

Again, Hopkins has shown it can out recruit UVa and beat them on the field with lesser talent. With some modicum of recent success, there's no reason why Milliman can't start winning his fair share of recruits.

I was offered the Jefferson scholarship at UVa. I declined politely. As for growing up watching Hopkins, there's a strong probability, I'm younger than most in this forum. I certainly didn't grow up watching this team in the early 2000s, let alone the 80s and 70s where it may have had more prowess.
Duke has an excellent business program. Your car isn’t likely to be broken into if you bring it to college. Nobody would compare those 2 campuses. I personally know kids that visited Hopkins and were turned off by the area. It isn’t for everyone
Last edited by coda on Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norcalhop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2025

Post by norcalhop »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:14 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:06 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:03 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:50 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:43 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:35 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:22 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:15 pm
coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:12 pm
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 12:26 am What I want to see from this staff is an ability to translate on field success to recruiting. Aka, begin to land top 15 recruiting whales much like Hopkins' rivals have done.
It’s not that easy. Denver won a NC and it never translated. OSU went to the final 4 (back to back year if I remember correctly) and the 5 stars still went to the ACC. PSU didn’t get much follow through. Right now the majority of top recruits have the ACC tattood on their minds. Nobody in lacrosse has seemed to come up with a sales pitch to counter the ACC.
Take a look at Maryland and Ivies. Hopkins was landing 5 stars with regularity without winning just a few years ago - no reason why it can't reverse the trend.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... and/4/2024
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... on/32/2024
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... on/32/2023
Princeton has done very well.. they are the kings in the IVy in recruiting. Selling that Ivy education and a nice campus. Yale hasn’t done much and been more successful. Cornell is the same. Maryland has seemed to trail off and they have been arguably the best program in lacrosse the last decade. That’s 2 schools. Look at UNC. Whose coach has been rumored to be on the verge of losing his job the last 2 years.. They still kill it. That doesn’t happen in any other conference. Honestly, what’s the pitch for Hopkins over a school like UVA?
A better education? Small class sizes? Lax as the top sport on campus? Stanwicks came here for a reason.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/62256

Take a look at that - it shows very strong school and conference distribution. Does 5 star translate to auto success? Ofcourse not - Duke missed the tournament 2 years ago. UNC is a story on repeat.

However with the right coaching staff, 5 stars mean probabilistically better talent. Take a look at the All American list, I'd dare say the majority are 5 stars with O'Neill, Shellenberger, Kirst, etc.
Most these kids are business majors and Hopkins isn’t a better education. The campus is far from a positive. Small school aspect will turn some kids away. Same goes for the neighborhood. Hopkins is still in the show me phase. Recruits today haven’t seen Hopkins with top lacrosse program. Hopkins has been mediocre the majority of their lives
Hopkins has already won multiple recruits over UVa and other ACC schools on its roster. If you don't think Hopkins offers a better education with higher desirability than UVa which has a lower yield and entering freshman stats despite cheaper instate tuition, I don't know what to tell you. Lacrosse players here major in Econ which more than enough for Wall Street and its ilk.

Hopkins has had losing seasons, and mediocrity recently. Then again, it landed Scott Smith, Casey McDermott, and Brendan Grimes (all with ACC offers) in the same year: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/commits/jhu/2020 during a dark period.

I don't get your point.
I said most of these kids are business majors and Hopkins isn’t a top business school. If they are into Medical or Engineering, then Hopkins is an amazing school.

My point is it takes more than a single year to garner recruiting success. Hopkins isn’t the program you grew up watching. Milkman didn’t inherit NC caliber teams to pad his resume. He isn’t a lacrosse legend like Petro was. They will get some kids based on location and history, but overall they are getting their lunch taken by better programs (namely UVA).
Does Duke offer a business major? Do they have a large student body? Sure they have DI sports, but similar enough as Durham isn't a top tier city either.

Again, Hopkins has shown it can out recruit UVa and beat them on the field with lesser talent. With some modicum of recent success, there's no reason why Milliman can't start winning his fair share of recruits.

I was offered the Jefferson scholarship at UVa. I declined politely. As for growing up watching Hopkins, there's a strong probability, I'm younger than most in this forum. I certainly didn't grow up watching this team in the early 2000s, let alone the 80s and 70s where it may have had more prowess.
Duke has an excellent business program. Your car isn’t likely to be broken into if you bring it to college. Nobody would compare those 2 campuses
I forget there are UVa fans in this thread. https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... 0of%205.09.

Durham is every bit as rough as Baltimore.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... mpus-crime

Plenty of people do in fact compare the two campuses due to cross-admits between the schools. UVa, not so much
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:14 pm Nobody would compare those 2 campuses.
You're right. Duke's campus is kind of dark and depressing. The Homewood campus at Hopkins is gorgeous. It's a major selling point.

As for UVA, they have a lot of advantages — not just over Hopkins, but over everyone. If you add up all the pros and cons of every school, it's probably at the top of the list for lacrosse players. Don't think anyone's arguing otherwise. But they can't and won't get every single top recruit.

Feel like this year Hopkins and UVA were pretty evenly matched and it's more likely to be like that moving forward than one team dominating the other for an extended period of time. Things are a lot different now than they were a few years ago. I remember in 2020 people were saying Hopkins would never be good again and were headed for D3. Don't see much of that anymore. The fundamentals (elite school where lacrosse is the #1 sport located in a lacrosse hotbed with a unique tradition) will keep it highly competitive as long as they get decent coaching. Not sure people realize how broken things were in the latter Petro years, and that took a couple seasons to undo.
coda

Post by coda »

norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:22 pm https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... mpus-crime

Plenty of people do in fact compare the two campuses due to cross-admits between the schools. UVa, not so much
If you find a 15 foot chain link fence circling your campus to keep the crack dealers out appealing, than yes it is beautiful.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/ ... ice-force/

imagine that google works both ways
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

coda wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:47 am If you find a 15 foot chain link fence circling your campus to keep the crack dealers out appealing, than yes it is beautiful.
No such thing exists? What are you talking about. The only fence on campus is the one at the construction site for the state of the art student center opening up next year

MOVING ON...it would appear that Crawley is in the mix for the High Point job. I don't think he's the favorite, but at this point it's a possibility. I know that would please at least one of you, but that'd be a bad development, IMO. There would be very good candidates to take over as OC (some of whom are Hopkins alums) but it's not something I'm rooting for.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

coda wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:47 am
norcalhop wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:22 pm https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... mpus-crime

If you find a 15 foot chain link fence circling your campus to keep the crack dealers out appealing, than yes it is beautiful.

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/ ... ice-force/

imagine that google works both ways
Quote from 2022. So you have an agenda.

No school gets all the top recruits because players want to start. If they ride the pine, odds are they’ll enter the portal.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I've been to the Hopkins campus multiple times the last few years. If there are any fences to keep the crack dealers out, I haven't seen em. But of course that required me actually going to Baltimore instead of just parroting insane stuff I see while I scroll social media or news tv
coda

Post by coda »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:35 am I've been to the Hopkins campus multiple times the last few years. If there are any fences to keep the crack dealers out, I haven't seen em. But of course that required me actually going to Baltimore instead of just parroting insane stuff I see while I scroll social media or news tv
I havent been in awhile, so if they removed the fence that went along Homewood field and the street on the next right hand turn that is my bad.
Homer

Post by Homer »

coda wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:49 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:35 am I've been to the Hopkins campus multiple times the last few years. If there are any fences to keep the crack dealers out, I haven't seen em. But of course that required me actually going to Baltimore instead of just parroting insane stuff I see while I scroll social media or news tv
I havent been in awhile, so if they removed the fence that went along Homewood field and the street on the next right hand turn that is my bad.
Bizarre comment. (1) The fence running along University Parkway isn't chain-link. There is some chain-link fencing at the north and south ends, but this is the first I've heard anyone complain about the aesthetics or surmise that it was chosen with effectiveness against crack dealers in mind. (2) It's actually not unusual for athletic facilities with ticketed attendance to have some type of perimeter fencing.

This, for instance, is an example of a field with a chain-link fence; you might recognize the location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kl%C3 ... ?entry=ttu
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Recruiting preferences entirely depends on the kid.

Some will be turned off by the Hopkins campus and area just as others will be turned off by the prospect of spending any amount of time within the confines of the state of Indiana (Notre Dame seems to be doing just fine). Some people want to go super far away for college, others want to stay close/closer to home wherever that may be (Long Island to Baltimore vs Long Island to Charlottesville are not quite the same trip if Mom+Dad are gonna come watch you play on the weekends and you care about that). Maybe they are really good friends with / the little brother of a guy who was a recruit last year and the prospect of playing 3 years alongside their good friend or sibling is a draw. Maybe their girlfriend got recruited to play at or otherwise was just planning to attend JHU / Loyola / Towson etc. and they think they're properly in love and want to be close to her.

Almost anything can go into the decision making, people are complicated.
Homer

Post by Homer »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:11 pm O'C - I know we have our differences but I need some help with your post. First - "RM" is escaping me- trying to think of Final Four coaches with those initials and I am just blanking. Also, would love to hear what the conclusions were of the Hopkins analysis - also confused - wasn't the 2015 team loaded with blue chippers?
I'm assuming Richie Meade.

Frankly, the Hopkins of that era probably would've been better off not landing quite so many of its first choices. Maybe not getting to "fill up the class" before anyone else and having to take a second crack at, say, midfielders at a point when you know if they're going to top out above 5 ft 7. Could've helped.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

League-best and program-record 38 guys named Academic All Big Ten https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/6/1 ... -team.aspx

Kind of remarkable when you consider the disparity in academic rigor between Hopkins and the other schools in the conference

Also shoutout to neuroscience major Nick Lane. That is no freaking joke at JHU
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:26 am
coda wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:47 am If you find a 15 foot chain link fence circling your campus to keep the crack dealers out appealing, than yes it is beautiful.
No such thing exists? What are you talking about. The only fence on campus is the one at the construction site for the state of the art student center opening up next year

MOVING ON...it would appear that Crawley is in the mix for the High Point job. I don't think he's the favorite, but at this point it's a possibility. I know that would please at least one of you, but that'd be a bad development, IMO. There would be very good candidates to take over as OC (some of whom are Hopkins alums) but it's not something I'm rooting for.
The few videos of Crawley I've seen he's basically a younger Bob Benson. He comes off as both polished for a board of directors meeting with guys his dads age and seemingly relatable to young kids with a clean cut and puppy dog optimistic vibe.

Do I think he was a good offensive coordinator this year and that he's ready to run a program? No and No, but I also have never met him or been in a lacrosse lockerroom.

Jameson is the one I'm worried about losing.

Hopkins added iron gates to some of the freshmen dorms a few years ago. I also don't think 16 year old boys who want to nun chuk 3 and 6 foot sticks at each other for 4 years in college care about crime reports.

Too bad we didn't blow anyone out this year. Would've loved to have seen the rest of the roster get some big run including lane who at 5'9 220 would've been fun to see just bull the snot out of some guys.

They did a great job keeping guys on the field this year both health and nonsense wise. Petros later teams were plagued by a series of suspensions and health issues.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Homer wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:51 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 9:11 pm O'C - I know we have our differences but I need some help with your post. First - "RM" is escaping me- trying to think of Final Four coaches with those initials and I am just blanking. Also, would love to hear what the conclusions were of the Hopkins analysis - also confused - wasn't the 2015 team loaded with blue chippers?
I'm assuming Richie Meade.

Frankly, the Hopkins of that era probably would've been better off not landing quite so many of its first choices. Maybe not getting to "fill up the class" before anyone else and having to take a second crack at, say, midfielders at a point when you know if they're going to top out above 5 ft 7. Could've helped.
Thanks Homer - Should have come up with Richie - mind didn't go back that far. I believe in an interview one time - Dave said early recruiting and assuming both HC & DC duties were two issues he might do differently. Bad coaching was not an issue. Dave resurrected the program and Hopkins owes him a great deal of gratitude.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:25 pm League-best and program-record 38 guys named Academic All Big Ten https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/6/1 ... -team.aspx

Kind of remarkable when you consider the disparity in academic rigor between Hopkins and the other schools in the conference

"To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher. "

I was impressed until I saw that :lol: . The average undergraduate GPA at Hopkins is now a 3.8. Yes, you read that correctly. Talk about grade inflation.

https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/leed/wp- ... Report.pdf

Have no idea what happened to the school. When I was there (way less than 15 years ago), the average GPA was a 3.2.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 1:25 pm League-best and program-record 38 guys named Academic All Big Ten https://hopkinssports.com/news/2024/6/1 ... -team.aspx

"To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, students must have been enrolled full time at the institution for a minimum of 12 months and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher. "

I was impressed until I saw that :lol: . The average undergraduate GPA at Hopkins is now a 3.8. Yes, you read that correctly. Talk about grade inflation.

Hopkins has historically had grade deflation. If things are inflated now (that data is from 2021) it'd be a welcome change and on par with peer institutions. Pretty sure it's similar at several Ivies.

Plus most students don't have to balance their academics with 20+ hours of D1 athletics each week.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:42 pm
norcalhop wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:34 pm

Hopkins has historically had grade deflation. If things are inflated now (that data is from 2021) it'd be a welcome change and on par with peer institutions. Pretty sure it's similar at several Ivies.

Plus most students don't have to balance their academics with 20+ hours of D1 athletics each week.
3.8 is absurd though. Cornell for instance is just under 3.5: https://scl.cornell.edu/sites/scl/files ... matted.pdf
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

norcalhop wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:45 pm 3.8 is absurd though. Cornell for instance is just under 3.5: https://scl.cornell.edu/sites/scl/files ... matted.pdf
The institution has fundamentally changed under Daniels, who has been remarkably successful in achieving his goals. I preferred the institution the way it was - I appreciated that it was different in many ways from its peers. But I'm just an old dude yelling at the clouds. Still love the lacrosse program though, which seems to be in great hands at the moment.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:28 pm
norcalhop wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:45 pm 3.8 is absurd though. Cornell for instance is just under 3.5: https://scl.cornell.edu/sites/scl/files ... matted.pdf
The institution has fundamentally changed under Daniels, who has been remarkably successful in achieving his goals. I preferred the institution the way it was - I appreciated that it was different in many ways from its peers. But I'm just an old dude yelling at the clouds. Still love the lacrosse program though, which seems to be in great hands at the moment.
i know Hopkins grads used to get credit for normal (aka 3.5ish) or even slightly lower GPAs when it came to grad and professional schools. No longer the case. Easier grades can be a plus however as it suggests less stress.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”