Congrats to Cornell on a great win today. Finger Lakes Power :D
getitdone

Re: Cornell 2019

Post by getitdone »

Who started on D?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

getitdone wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:25 pm Who started on D?
Looks like Fields, Doria, Wallace
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm
I have yet to see a box score, but it looked like Cornell had fewer assisted goals than usual.
Actually least assisted goals was Lehigh game. And we're OFF last year's pace.

Goals Assists % Assisted
Hobart 19 11 58%
Lehigh 14 7 50%
Albany 17 12 71%
Penn St 13 7 54%
Towson 18 10 56%

2018 244 171 70%
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:53 pm
I have yet to see a box score, but it looked like Cornell had fewer assisted goals than usual.
Actually least assisted goals was Lehigh game. And we're OFF last year's pace.

Goals Assists % Assisted
Hobart 19 11 58%
Lehigh 14 7 50%
Albany 17 12 71%
Penn St 13 7 54%
Towson 18 10 56%

2018 244 171 70%
Thanks, Ivyman! I am going with your "happiness index" of 1 win great, 2 wins really great, etc through this string of games.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Watching what I could of yesterday’s game, a few personnel items I noticed: Fields seems to have supplanted Karey at close D; Duggan is now getting some time at the wing as part of a 5-man rotation at ssdm along with Bray, Bardwell, Tarbell and Buczek; and Rupp is playing on man-up.

Given the increased role for ssdm’s in the new shot clock era, adding a guy with Duggan’s skill set part of that unit seems to make sense. I think our ssdm pool is about as deep as we’ve seen it, and having guys who have all been offensive middies at some point (Bardwell was in HS) is a huge plus for the team.
Last edited by laxjuris on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Good observations guys.
A few other thoughts:
-While Penn State remained in control throughout, the boys hung tough; as I wrote late Friday night, intuitively, I came away with the sense that despite the face-off issues, the team is developing.
-A number of guys were dinged up after Friday and played through their issues on Sunday. Particular credit to Piatelli who reentered the game on Friday with a broken nose and gauze stuffed up his nostrils. His improvement from year to year is very important to the O.
-Towson was very close to establishing (scoreboard) separation in the 1st quarter; again, the team hung tough, got stops and put an important last goal of the quarter on the board to close at 5-3. Also, a 9 or 10 goal run is really impressive when you are losing the majority of the face-offs.
-Like in many sports, match-ups are critical. Towson's O, unlike PSU, did not look particularly cohesive to me; they also lack a distributor even close to an Ament.
-Ierlan had a very good day, but it should be noted that Towson had an awful shooting day. Many good looks were not on the cage.
-Milliman made good use of his personnel, particularly using 3 LSM's (Adler and Bartolotto) given that Salvatore wore 3 hats - FOGO, LSM, and wing. As laxjuris wrote, they went 3 deep with the ss's and added Duggan to the mix...he more than held is own.
-Love to see Telesco get more touches; going into the game, he's scored on 4 of 5 shots.
-Of 18 goals, with the exception of McCulloch's two long-distance goals and perhaps two (or so) others, most goals were scored from within 8-10 yards.
-Someone asked about penalties --- there was a real soft holding call against Buczek + the last penalty which was called against Buczek (I think for "chirping") when I'm sure it was meant for Donville who was pissed about being bumped by Towson's #14 while walking off of the field. IMO most of the calls against Cornell were legit, my issue was with a number of missed calls against Towson.
-Lots of credit to coaches Reisman and Stevens - they've worked extremely hard coaching up their respective areas.
-Great Cornell fan support at the game including several Cornell all-time greats.
Next week - Yale will look nothing like Towson, except for an even more dominant FOGO. Ierlan is really special. Even trying to tie him up is extremely difficult given his quickness and smarts.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ok, How about this. Cornell just beat the #1 team in the country in Towson, and now will play another #1, in consecutive weeks as Yale is #1 in the Nike/Usila poll, and their only loss was right before the Towson game to the new #1 in the Media, and coaches poll.

How about that for SOS, basically playing THREE #1 teams in 3 consecutive games. This possibly could never have happened before in D1 Lax, could it?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
bigpappibear

Post by bigpappibear »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm Ok, How about this. Cornell just beat the #1 team in the country in Towson, and now will play another #1, in consecutive weeks as Yale is #1 in the Nike/Usila poll, and their only loss was right before the Towson game to the new #1 in the Media, and coaches poll.

How about that for SOS, basically playing THREE #1 teams in 3 consecutive games. This possibly could never have happened before in D1 Lax, could it?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The USILA is the coaches poll. The Nike/USILA poll is just the pre-season poll. Yale isn't ranked #1 in any poll at the moment.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

bigpappibear wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:18 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm Ok, How about this. Cornell just beat the #1 team in the country in Towson, and now will play another #1, in consecutive weeks as Yale is #1 in the Nike/Usila poll, and their only loss was right before the Towson game to the new #1 in the Media, and coaches poll.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The USILA is the coaches poll. The Nike/USILA poll is just the pre-season poll. Yale isn't ranked #1 in any poll at the moment.
Whoops, Thanks for that explanation. Still an impressive stretch, Correct?

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
calourie

Post by calourie »

Correction: Yale is ranked #1 in the USlaxmagazine poll. JoeWillie meant to point out Nike/USL poll not Nike USILA, so in essence he had a valid point

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/r ... t-unbeaten
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

calourie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:39 pm Correction: Yale is ranked #1 in the USlaxmagazine poll. JoeWillie meant to point out Nike/USL poll not Nike USILA, so in essence he had a valid point

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/r ... t-unbeaten
Cal,
Thanks. Looking forward to an incredible Lacrosse game this weekend. Two GREAT teams who hopefully will meet again a couple times in May.

I see a very close game BUT I just cant get past the huge advantage Yale and Ierlan have on the X. Yale will be the 4th TOP 5 faceoff team, faced by the Red (Towson, Hobart, and Lehigh which by coincidence they won these 3 games)BUT sooner or later, that discrepency will hurt the RED.

Turnovers, protecting the ball, clearing, and SHOT PERCENTAGE have been Cornells formula for success, and given that they possess the ball much fewer times that their opponents, thank god Teat, Piatelli, Petterson, Fletcher, McColluch and Donville are snipers shooting an incredible 44% as a team.

Both teams come in full of confidence after beating, Michigan and Towson by almost identical scores, so it should be a barnburner but I think Home Field and the X give the ELIS a slight advantage.

Enjoy the game in New Haven. I know I will.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Clarke Petterson named Ivy P.O.W.
Chayse Ierlan named Ivy R.O.W.
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

R is for "rookie" in Ierlan's case? Hmmmm, a debatable point (okay, Ivy Newcomer). In any case, what a way to kick off conference play. Having seen Cornell dismantle Yale in the most recent ILT final, I have the utmost respect for the Big Red (great, knowledgeable fans, too, by the way). Ierlan v Ierlan, lots of interesting angles and match-ups... Don't want to build up this game too much; as JoeWillie said, it may well be only the first meeting this year.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm R is for "rookie" in Ierlan's case? Hmmmm, a debatable point (okay, Ivy Newcomer). In any case, what a way to kick off conference play. Having seen Cornell dismantle Yale in the most recent ILT final, I have the utmost respect for the Big Red (great, knowledgeable fans, too, by the way). Ierlan v Ierlan, lots of interesting angles and match-ups... Don't want to build up this game too much; as JoeWillie said, it may well be only the first meeting this year.
I think he means Chayse - Cornell Goalie.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm R is for "rookie" in Ierlan's case? Hmmmm, a debatable point (okay, Ivy Newcomer). In any case, what a way to kick off conference play. Having seen Cornell dismantle Yale in the most recent ILT final, I have the utmost respect for the Big Red (great, knowledgeable fans, too, by the way). Ierlan v Ierlan, lots of interesting angles and match-ups... Don't want to build up this game too much; as JoeWillie said, it may well be only the first meeting this year.
As Chousnake notes, Chayse Ierlan is TD's younger brother. Your post had me go back to the bios of the Cornell team. Chayse Ierlan is a "true freshman" who graduated last year from Victor High School in the greater Rochester, NY area.
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, my mistake in assuming TD. No doubt Chayse is fully deserving... great win over Towson.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Tough to argue at this point in the season:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU88 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:08 am Tough to argue at this point in the season:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... ?slide=all
No Argument whatsoever from this Big Red Fan. I think this list is probably pretty close to who will be the favorites for the T award. Long way to go with many great games, but this field looks deep and competitive.

2 on the field in New Haven, Saturday.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”