D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Recruiting

Post by Brownlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:12 pm
Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:24 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:17 am
user1020 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:06 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:51 am I was the head coach of a start up D1 back in the day.

Gettysburg, Salisbury, Pace, Adelphi would have beat the hell out of us.

Tell your daughter she will be getting a higher caliber lacrosse experience at one of those places vs an Akron, Youngstown State, Wofford, etc.
These top 5 D3 programs are legit. Knew someone under recruited out of HS. She had a few options of some decent middle of the road D1 programs in the 30-60 range or to play for a NC at Salisbury. Loved the coach but didn’t like the campus. Picked a D1 school that was a better fit for her all around but was a worse team at the time. Team ended up improving a ton. She ended up as a 3 year starter, 2 year captain, all conference, and won 2 conference titles. Shows how these D3 schools are recruiting the same girls as D1 schools.
Absolutely. In fall ball 2 years ago I believe, MIddlebury absolutely destroyed Darthmouth. Last year, Marquette had to come back from 3 down in the 4th quarter to beat Chicago (barely a top 20 D3 program).

If you look at the starters for any top 10 D3 team, at least 50% of them had D1 offers, in the case of Middlebury or Tufts, that number is closer to 100%. In my opinion, a D3 final four team would probably be ranked between 25 and 40 in D1.

Last year's Middlebury team would have been top 25 and made the D1 NCAA tourney if they were in any conference other than the ACC.
I think it’s a real stretch to say Middlebury would have been a top 25 team and would have made the tournament.
Disagree. I believe they are better and could have beaten Marquette, Umass, Drexel and Penn St
Yikes this is a reach! I know starters on Middlebury who would definitely not crack the line up of the schools you mentioned.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I’m a Middlebury fan, and have watched many of their games over the last two seasons. And there is no way that Middlebury beats Penn State or UMass.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Laxfan212 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:25 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:33 am
Laxfan212 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:08 pm
Relax77 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:04 am
Deacon022 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:51 pm If I could do over again I probably would’ve had at least another 6k in my pocket from the last three years. You learn. I guess.

On a side not got two more emails from the UA director. Appreciate her and I’m trying to tell her I’m not upset, but I guess it’s getting lost in translation. My daughter was thrilled to not have to play a third game today and quite frankly so was I. Wish tomorrow was cancelled as well.
Funny. All these showcases for “recruiting purposes.” I wonder how many kids actually get recruited from showcase. Million dollar industry making people rich. If you think UA and Juniors are bad you should register for the MarylandShowcase. They still haven’t released what colleges will be there. However, the event is just about sold out. Insane. How do you go to a showcase not knowing who will be there. I heard Juniors didn’t tell anyone either.
Maryland Showcase will be a lot of D2 and D3 only. And they say they’re sold out but they’ll just keep adding teams if needed. Any D1 coach spotted will be an assistant to an assistant who will swing by for 15 min on their way to something else. My daughter was coached by the coach of Lincoln Memorial wlax - no hate to her or her school whatsoever but that’s the gist of the schools that will be there.
Tell us how much you disrespect D2 and D3 without telling us how much you disrespect D2 and D3…..
Not at all. But the tournament should be transparent about who is coming. The list of committed college coaches had numerous schools on the list that didn’t end up coming - it was a bait and switch. My point in providing this info is to say that if your kids target is D2 and D3, that is the focus of this event. But if not, it’s not a great time and money investment.
Gonna back him up here. The Hood College coach is disingenuous here. We asked for a list of committed schools. She said over 100 had committed already. Myself and my daughter in a separate emails asked for the list. She said we’ll release it later. Why? If you have over 100 already just send us the list. Anyway. My daughter asked for a refund and she said no. That was in February. I know another family who asked for a refund because a family member was getting married unexpectedly. They would’ve provided an invitation. Hood coach sent him the refund policy with only this in the email. There are no refunds. Here’s the policy. Lmao. I wouldn’t let my daughter play for her if they offered her 100k nil a year.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

I’m a Middlebury fan, and have watched many of their games over the last two seasons. And there is no way that Middlebury beats Penn State or UMass.
Yikes this is a reach! I know starters on Middlebury who would definitely not crack the line up of the schools you mentioned.
Last year's Middlebury team would have been top 25 and made the D1 NCAA tourney if they were in any conference other than the ACC.
I have watched a lot of Middlebury and D3 lacrosse over the last 10 years. Middlebury is an extremely well coached team with superior athletes to other D3 teams. They are currently loaded and might not lose a game in the next three years. But they do not have the team speed, athleticism and stick skills to be remotely competive against top 25 teams. I agree there is no way that Middlebury can beat Penn State or UMass. They would finish dead last in the ACC / Big Ten and likely would only finish in the middle of the pack in the America East Conference.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:30 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:12 pm
Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:24 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:17 am
user1020 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:06 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:51 am I was the head coach of a start up D1 back in the day.

Gettysburg, Salisbury, Pace, Adelphi would have beat the hell out of us.

Tell your daughter she will be getting a higher caliber lacrosse experience at one of those places vs an Akron, Youngstown State, Wofford, etc.
These top 5 D3 programs are legit. Knew someone under recruited out of HS. She had a few options of some decent middle of the road D1 programs in the 30-60 range or to play for a NC at Salisbury. Loved the coach but didn’t like the campus. Picked a D1 school that was a better fit for her all around but was a worse team at the time. Team ended up improving a ton. She ended up as a 3 year starter, 2 year captain, all conference, and won 2 conference titles. Shows how these D3 schools are recruiting the same girls as D1 schools.
Absolutely. In fall ball 2 years ago I believe, MIddlebury absolutely destroyed Darthmouth. Last year, Marquette had to come back from 3 down in the 4th quarter to beat Chicago (barely a top 20 D3 program).

If you look at the starters for any top 10 D3 team, at least 50% of them had D1 offers, in the case of Middlebury or Tufts, that number is closer to 100%. In my opinion, a D3 final four team would probably be ranked between 25 and 40 in D1.

I think it’s a real stretch to say Middlebury would have been a top 25 team and would have made the tournament.
Disagree. I believe they are better and could have beaten Marquette, Umass, Drexel and Penn St
Definitely a reach. Notice I said I was running a start up D1. Those teams would have flattened us. But any talk of the D2/3s beating top 40 D1 teams is just way off.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Some really good games today and an insane amount of coaches at the G8. Didn’t see less than 40 coaches at my daughter’s three games.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:12 pm
Dull Thud wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm so, LaxDadMax, ... who has the biggest upside in the 2024 (sic) (presumably intended 2023) class?
I know this wasn't directed at me but i'll give you an answer of someone to look out for. Madison Rassas. Will singlehandidly win Notre Dame games . you heard it here first
Madison is a great player. I’ve got some great clips of my
defender shutting her down last summer.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

SoCal wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:18 pm
Dull Thud wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm so, LaxDadMax, ... who has the biggest upside in the 2024 (sic) (presumably intended 2023) class?
I know this wasn't directed at me but i'll give you an answer of someone to look out for. Madison Rassas. Will singlehandidly win Notre Dame games . you heard it here first
impressive. is your player being recruited?
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Anybody hear the name Emma Penczek before? 93 goals 43 assists 127 DC and 37CTs as a sophomore midfielder out of Manchester Valley HS (same HS as Lizzie Colson) plays again good competition throughout MD and Carroll County. Led her team to an undefeated 19-0 record (the only undefeated MD public school) and Man Valley was ranked #19 in the country. Figured she might be the real deal and I’m interested where she commits.
SoCal

Post by SoCal »

Kleizaster wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:10 pm
SoCal wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:18 pm
impressive. is your player being recruited?
Yes she was lucky enough to commit to a school she wanted last October.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:57 pm Anybody hear the name Emma Penczek before? 93 goals 43 assists 127 DC and 37CTs as a sophomore midfielder out of Manchester Valley HS (same HS as Lizzie Colson) plays again good competition throughout MD and Carroll County. Led her team to an undefeated 19-0 record (the only undefeated MD public school) and Man Valley was ranked #19 in the country. Figured she might be the real deal and I’m interested where she commits.
Yes, I have seen her play on a few occasions. She was fantastic when I saw her. She reminds me of a traditional UNC midfielder.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

user1020 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:57 pm Anybody hear the name Emma Penczek before? 93 goals 43 assists 127 DC and 37CTs as a sophomore midfielder out of Manchester Valley HS (same HS as Lizzie Colson) plays again good competition throughout MD and Carroll County. Led her team to an undefeated 19-0 record (the only undefeated MD public school) and Man Valley was ranked #19 in the country. Figured she might be the real deal and I’m interested where she commits.
Sounds like a good player. When a team beats it’s opponents by an average of 8-9 goals per game one has to question the level of competition. There are a lot of players throwing up these kind of numbers against bad teams.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

UO22 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:51 am
Yes, I have seen her play on a few occasions. She was fantastic when I saw her. She reminds me of a traditional UNC midfielder.
Yep Emma is a top player in the 2025 class. She has insane speed and goes to the cage like a Mack truck. Don't think she's UNC bound though (it wouldn't surprise me if she does) I only say this because there are long island and Connecticut kids who are heavy UNC leans. UNC pipeline in Long Island is very strong. Tbh Maryland needs her and should try hard to land her.

Spallina, Gabby Lauretani, Emma Penczek, Uma Kowalski, Ava Meyn to name a few other top players.

This needs to be a strong class for MD or they are in serious trouble because what UNC has coming up is ridiculous, what BC has coming is very strong, Cuse's 2024 class might be their best ever, NW will be NW. They are falling behind fast
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Kleizaster wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:34 am
Yep Emma is a top player in the 2025 class. She has insane speed and goes to the cage like a Mack truck. Don't think she's UNC bound though (it wouldn't surprise me if she does) I only say this because there are long island and Connecticut kids who are heavy UNC leans. UNC pipeline in Long Island is very strong. Tbh Maryland needs her and should try hard to land her.

Spallina, Gabby Lauretani, Emma Penczek, Uma Kowalski, Ava Meyn to name a few other top players.

This needs to be a strong class for MD or they are in serious trouble because what UNC has coming up is ridiculous, what BC has coming is very strong, Cuse's 2024 class might be their best ever, NW will be NW. They are falling behind fast
It’s very important for UNC to pull within 11 nattys of UMD before the Big Ten money kicks in. I hope they can do it. So sick of UMD having so many more championships than anybody and then leaving the ACC. They destroyed the ACC and don’t even apologize.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:53 am

It’s very important for UNC to pull within 11 nattys of UMD before the Big Ten money kicks in. I hope they can do it. So sick of UMD having so many more championships than anybody and then leaving the ACC. They destroyed the ACC and don’t even apologize.
my man, yes we get it. Maryland has alot of championships. and you know what, they may never be caught. No one is disputing that. They were the gold standard for a long time. They dominated. But what does that have to do with the current state of things? I see no reason as MD fan or alumn to be okay with mediocrity as long as you're telling yourself that hey we suck but it's okay because we have alot of championships. what kind of mentality is that? You are Maryland and anything less than putting out championship caliber squads is not acceptable. These recruits could careless about what Maryland did in the past. they want to go to the best programs right now. Maybe this mentality is what's rotting the program on the inside.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

[
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

True regarding the highly regarded players here on the Island as well as Connecticut and the UNC pipeline. However, Jenny Levy’s daughter plays for M&D lacrosse club, the same club as Penzek.
I could see Carolina being in the mix for her. I think Godine from M&D chosing UNC over Maryland a couple years ago was significant for UNC. I just don’t remember UNC beating Maryland out for a top kid from that club. I agree though signing Penzek has to be a top priority for Maryland . They need to keep the best player in Maryland in state.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The game is changing.

When’s the last time Northwestern had the top recruiting class? They pounded BC so bad that the BC coach was on the verge of tears on the sideline. Never seen a coach look so angry and misty eyed at the same time. The next step of evolution is predictable.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

suffolk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:49 pm

True regarding the highly regarded players here on the Island as well as Connecticut and the UNC pipeline. However, Jenny Levy’s daughter plays for M&D lacrosse club, the same club as Penzek.
I could see Carolina being in the mix for her. I think Godine from M&D chosing UNC over Maryland a couple years ago was significant for UNC. I just don’t remember UNC beating Maryland out for a top kid from that club. I agree though signing Penzek has to be a top priority for Maryland . They need to keep the best player in Maryland in state.
MD could probably roll out the red carpet for Penczek given some of the players they've gotten from Carroll County. As far as Godine, she did go to McDonogh and there's a difference how MD is viewed as a school when it comes to kids from private schools vs. kids from public schools.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

jff97 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:38 pm
suffolk wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:49 pm

MD could probably roll out the red carpet for Penczek given some of the players they've gotten from Carroll County. As far as Godine, she did go to McDonogh and there's a difference how MD is viewed as a school when it comes to kids from private schools vs. kids from public schools.
Good points here. Carroll County has consistently produced high level talent. UMD loves to recruit players from here, especially from Century and Manchester Valley.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”