FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by blue angels »

Wheels wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:55 am
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 am From where you're sitting, if RU played UVA 100 times, how many would they win?
That's a great question, and I'm sure your computer can run a Monte Carlo on it. Neutral field? Home-away?

Both teams like to push transition, so they're be a lot of fun games there.

Home-away games...it'd be 50-50. Neutral field? Can't wait for the tournament.

If your question was RU-Cuse...that's a much easier prediction to make.
I don't know enough about Rutgers to really evaluate them beyond their competition which has been discussed endlessly. If they don't stumble, they will get their chance to show their team in the Tournament. I hear they have a good offense but their fans complain about being very weak at the face-off circle. Good luck getting the ball against Virginia with Petey Lasalla and jared Conners which is a huge Virginia advantage. The latter also has a great offense that gets mismatches against anyone. Rutgers also did not play Maryland all that close in 2 games this season. The real story is that I don't think Maryland would beat Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame, Denver or UNC twice in a 2 game series. I believe most outside the Big 10 would agree with that sentiment. there is no super team this year but a Bunch of really good ones at the top and a few others who could get hot and upset any of them. Georgetown and Rutgers would fall into that latter group based on evidence to date.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

blue angels wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:02 pm The real story is that I don't think Maryland would beat Virginia, Duke, Notre Dame, Denver or UNC twice in a 2 game series.
What about a 100 game series?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D1 MEN: Pre-Weekend Rankings (FRI 04/23/21)

These (below) are FanLax Computer’s Pre-Weekend Rankings.

* Asterisks – Two teams, Notre Dame and Denver, have an asterisks in order to recognize that these two teams have Best Wins, in the case of...

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/23/d1-men-pr ... -04-23-21/
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Forum Polls due on Monday (tomorrow) at noon. https://fanlax.com/2020/01/30/fanlax-forum-polls/
Caddy Day
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Don't forget to show some love for Brown and Penn.

Both teams completed an undefeated season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Based on some arguments made by Rutgers proponents it seems given such a close loss that Hopkins should be 3 or 4...
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

D1 MEN: FanLax Forum Poll (04/26/21)

https://fanlax.com/2021/04/26/d1-men-fa ... -04-26-21/
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Penn and Brown?!?
Caddy Day
calourie

Post by calourie »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:35 pm Penn and Brown?!?
Both Penn and Brown in included the IL/Media as well as the Nike/US polls in their not quite top 20 vote getters.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

You humans claim to be evolved and have the ability to evaluate objectively and then you post your Rankings and... It's laughable. If you were to have an ounce of objectivity and the ability to evaluate the teams based on their performances, their wins and losses, *in 2021*, your Rankings would look much more like this (below). The only team that could be adjusted within this list is Notre Dame and only because they have 2 good wins but I'm programed to judge the teams based on their 3 Best Wins. And, even with Notre Dame being under-ranked, at least they earned that #9 ranking with their *actual* Ws and Ls in 2021!

1 Duke
2 North Carolina
3 Maryland
4 Georgetown
5 Virginia
6 Lehigh
7 Syracuse
8 Denver
9 Notre Dame
10 Army
11 Rutgers
12 Navy
13 Drexel
14 Towson
15 Delaware
16 UAlbany
17 Loyola
18 Richmond
19 Villanova
20 Stony Brook
21 Penn State
22 UMass
23 Robert Morris
24 High Point
25 UMBC
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

calourie wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:12 pm Both Penn and Brown in included the IL/Media as well as the Nike/US polls in their not quite top 20 vote getters.
Why?... And an even better question, Why follow them?...
Caddy Day
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:20 pm You humans claim to be evolved and have the ability to evaluate objectively and then you post your Rankings and... It's laughable. If you were to have an ounce of objectivity and the ability to evaluate the teams based on their performances, their wins and losses, *in 2021*, your Rankings would look much more like this (below). The only team that could be adjusted within this list is Notre Dame and only because they have 2 good wins but I'm programed to judge the teams based on their 3 Best Wins. And, even with Notre Dame being under-ranked, at least they earned that #9 ranking with their *actual* Ws and Ls in 2021!

1 Duke
2 North Carolina
3 Maryland
4 Georgetown
5 Virginia
6 Lehigh
7 Syracuse
8 Denver
9 Notre Dame
10 Army
11 Rutgers
12 Navy
13 Drexel
14 Towson
15 Delaware
16 UAlbany
17 Loyola
18 Richmond
19 Villanova
20 Stony Brook
21 Penn State
22 UMass
23 Robert Morris
24 High Point
25 UMBC
These aren’t insane computer, not a bad job. In my poor, benighted hominid mind however I still can’t get behind Lehigh yet. Nice win vs Army, decent vs Loyola, and.... If Lehigh had played ND schedule to date, what would their record be? How close would the losses have been? Appreciate attempt at objectivity but pretty sure they would be 6/6 in ACC this year if they played a conference a schedule. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t at top 15 or even top 12 team because that who conference is but 6? Not for me.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:39 pm I still can’t get behind Lehigh yet. Nice win vs Army, decent vs Loyola, and.... If Lehigh had played ND schedule to date, what would their record be? How close would the losses have been? Appreciate attempt at objectivity but pretty sure they would be 6/6 in ACC this year if they played a conference a schedule. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t at top 15 or even top 12 team because that who conference is but 6? Not for me.
Syracuse has the #1 Strength of Schedule (SOS). Lehigh's is #47. So, how to compare? Besides the ridiculous "going with your gut" that you humans do. Or, my favorite, your "eye test". Even though your gut and your eye are riddled with prejudices. Prejudices cultivated by numerous factors ranging from a team's brand equity to being heavily influenced by the polls created by the "experts". (For the record, if the experts started ranking Yale as #1 in the nation based on their possibly playing next week and "eyeball tests" during their scrimmages, I'm confident that people in numbers would start ranking Yale in the upper echelons of their rankings. But I digress.) Eyes and guts aside, our rankings need to be based on Ws and Ls and who those Ws and Ls are against. And, based on this criteria, Lehigh eclipses, Syracuse. Would Syracuse beat them in the First Round of the Play-Offs? Maybe. And if/when they do, we'll give them full credit for this. But, until they do, we can only rank them based on their Ws and Ls. And, when you put Lehigh's Army, Navy, and Loyola wins and 0 losses on one side of the scale and Syracuse's beating UVA twice (and a next best win of Albany) and losses to Army, Notre Dame, and UNC, Lehigh comes out on top. The second two losses don't hurt as much. But the Army loss, it can't be ignored.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm
pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:39 pm I still can’t get behind Lehigh yet. Nice win vs Army, decent vs Loyola, and.... If Lehigh had played ND schedule to date, what would their record be? How close would the losses have been? Appreciate attempt at objectivity but pretty sure they would be 6/6 in ACC this year if they played a conference a schedule. Which doesn’t mean they aren’t at top 15 or even top 12 team because that who conference is but 6? Not for me.
Syracuse has the #1 Strength of Schedule (SOS). Lehigh's is #47. So, how to compare? Besides the ridiculous "going with your gut" that you humans do. Or, my favorite, your "eye test". Even though your gut and your eye are riddled with prejudices. Prejudices cultivated by numerous factors ranging from a team's brand equity to being heavily influenced by the polls created by the "experts". (For the record, if the experts started ranking Yale as #1 in the nation based on their possibly playing next week and "eyeball tests" during their scrimmages, I'm confident that people in numbers would start ranking Yale in the upper echelons of their rankings. But I digress.) Eyes and guts aside, our rankings need to be based on Ws and Ls and who those Ws and Ls are against. And, based on this criteria, Lehigh eclipses, Syracuse. Would Syracuse beat them in the First Round of the Play-Offs? Maybe. And if/when they do, we'll give them full credit for this. But, until they do, we can only rank them based on their Ws and Ls. And, when you put Lehigh's Army, Navy, and Loyola wins and 0 losses on one side of the scale and Syracuse's beating UVA twice (and a next best win of Albany) and losses to Army, Notre Dame, and UNC, Lehigh comes out on top. The second two losses don't hurt as much. But the Army loss, it can't be ignored.
I struggle with Lehigh being ranked so high too. Their only quality wins are Army and Navy. Unfortunately, I don't think Loyola is as good as everyone originally thought. And we don't really know how good Army or Navy is. Army struggles at face offs, and Syracuse could not take advantage of it and lost. Does that mean Army is good or Syracuse is average? Lehigh beat Army with a buzzer beater and the game could have easily gone the other way. Navy's quality win is Army and they lost to Loyola. What does that mean for Leigh, Navy or Army? Probably that they should be ranked close to each other.

Lehigh is ranked high because they are undefeated and they are the best in the Patriot league. But, where do they really fit in the top 14? The Patriot league may only get 1 team in the NCAA tournament depending on an upset in a conference tournament.

We will get a sense of Big East vs. Patriot league level of play this coming weekend with Georgetown playing Loyola and Villanova playing Lehigh. It will be interesting.
Last edited by DU-fan on Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:57 pmWe will get a sense of Big East vs. Patriot league level of play this coming weekend with Georgetown playing Loyola and Villanova playing Lehigh. It will be interesting.
100%. Cross pollination is critical.
Caddy Day
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

RU fan here. Outside of Wheels and Calourie polls, The rest of the polls are delusional when it comes to Rutgers rankings in the polls. Clearly, we are deficient in the faceoff area but so is Maryland. That said, Both RU and UMD have held their own at the faceoff and still beat under rated teams in our conference, most of whom have better than average faceoff guys. that is because Rutgers and UMD have exceptional defenses and Rutgers has one of the best goalies in the COUNTRY in Collin Kirst. Truly, this is the best RU team in over 50 years. Lastly, if anyone objective saw Lehigh against winless lafayette in their 2nd game last week, and says that Lehigh should be rated 6th in the country, you are out of your mind. They have an exceptional faceoff guy. Beyond that, there are 30 -40 teams better than lehigh in the country.
random observer

Post by random observer »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm RU fan here. Outside of Wheels and Calourie polls, The rest of the polls are delusional when it comes to Rutgers rankings in the polls. Clearly, we are deficient in the faceoff area but so is Maryland. That said, Both RU and UMD have held their own at the faceoff and still beat under rated teams in our conference, most of whom have better than average faceoff guys. that is because Rutgers and UMD have exceptional defenses and Rutgers has one of the best goalies in the COUNTRY in Collin Kirst. Truly, this is the best RU team in over 50 years. Lastly, if anyone objective saw Lehigh against winless lafayette in their 2nd game last week, and says that Lehigh should be rated 6th in the country, you are out of your mind. They have an exceptional faceoff guy. Beyond that, there are 30 -40 teams better than lehigh in the country.
It takes a breathtaking lack of self awareness to complain that Rutgers is being disrespected and then turn your head and say something that absurd about Lehigh. Something tells me you haven't watched them play; they may not be quite as good as they are ranked, but they move the ball beautifully on offense. Sometimes when you play the same team back to back in a matter of days, scores equalize a little bit; I'd imagine Lehigh probably didn't bring their A game. I have no affiliation to either Rutgers or Lehigh (or either of their conferences for that matter), and I would favor Lehigh on a neutral field over Rutgers.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:03 pm
RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pm RU fan here. Outside of Wheels and Calourie polls, The rest of the polls are delusional when it comes to Rutgers rankings in the polls. Clearly, we are deficient in the faceoff area but so is Maryland. That said, Both RU and UMD have held their own at the faceoff and still beat under rated teams in our conference, most of whom have better than average faceoff guys. that is because Rutgers and UMD have exceptional defenses and Rutgers has one of the best goalies in the COUNTRY in Collin Kirst. Truly, this is the best RU team in over 50 years. Lastly, if anyone objective saw Lehigh against winless lafayette in their 2nd game last week, and says that Lehigh should be rated 6th in the country, you are out of your mind. They have an exceptional faceoff guy. Beyond that, there are 30 -40 teams better than lehigh in the country.
It takes a breathtaking lack of self awareness to complain that Rutgers is being disrespected and then turn your head and say something that absurd about Lehigh. Something tells me you haven't watched them play; they may not be quite as good as they are ranked, but they move the ball beautifully on offense. Sometimes when you play the same team back to back in a matter of days, scores equalize a little bit; I'd imagine Lehigh probably didn't bring their A game. I have no affiliation to either Rutgers or Lehigh (or either of their conferences for that matter), and I would favor Lehigh on a neutral field over Rutgers.
and imagine how good the lehigh goalie is if kirst couldn't get on the field there.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

The last 2 posters challenging my comments regarding Lehigh still have the right of free speech in this country, at least for now. You have the right to challenge but my guess is neither of you have seen a Rutgers or a Lehigh game this year and can't make a fair comparison. And i have seen a lot of them. Objectively, if Rutgers had lehigh's faceoff guy, Rutgers may be the best team in the country. That said, the point of my original post is in most polls, with the exception of the USILA poll, are incredibly biased towards the ACC. Regarding lehigh, they have played 6 of their 9 games at home and 2 of their games are against lafayette, 0-9, who plays mostly freshmen. If lafayette had Sisselberger?, lehigh's faceoff guy, lafayette , on that day, would have defeated lehigh by ten goals. Just my opinion. Lastly, the USILA poll, the coaches poll, and the most objective and unbiased, has rutgers at #5. Maybe you should exercise your expertise to challenge them, not me. i wish you well.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

"There are 30-40 teams better than Lehigh" LOL NO! Having said that if Lehigh and Rutgers play 10 times Rutgers wins 7 out of 10. Just my opinion!
Carry On.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”