Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
TheBigIguana

Re: Pre-2020 summer transfers

Post by TheBigIguana »

Cooter wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:03 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
I don't know that the Terps recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfielders in every class. Going by Inside Lacrosse's ranking:
The Terps only have 4 in the 2020 class so far: Jack Koras, Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Michael O'Connell
The Terps only had 3 in last years class: Kyle Long, George Wichelns, and John Geppert.

This fall's freshmen class has: N.DeMaio, D.Pallonetti, Jack Brennan, Jack Sawyer, Dawson Wynne in IL's top 100 rising seniors
Dawson Wynne might be more of a two-way midfield recruit, than an offensive midfielder.
For the 2017 class the Terps had in IL's Power 100: Bubba Fairman, James Avanzato, Roman Puglise, and Wade Oursler
It is true that A.DeMaio joined the previous Spring, but Puglise so far has played ssdm - so 4

For 2016 class the Terps had in IL's power 100: Jared Bernhardt, Russell Masci, Drew Harrison, Jack Wilson.

4 looks more like the average to me.
Ok so I exaggerated. But even 4 means you have 16 top 100 offensive players on the roster and only 9 are probably playing enough to be satisfied. To me that's too much. This year they bring back everyone but Snider and Dubick and they're adding 4 more top 100 guys to that. Someone is riding the bench that could be playing at 65 other schools. I'm willing to bet one of the guys from the Class of 2020 transfers at least.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:53 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:13 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm I'm willing to bet he tells them they have a chance to play because I don't see any recruit at that level saying "Yes coach I'll totally come to Maryland to ride the bench." On defense they tend to let guys learn the system before starting. But on offense the guys who are the best play. At best kids who don't play early tend to work themselves to second midfield. Look at this years top offensive players. Fairman, Wisnauskis, Bernhardt, Long and DeMaio all played early. Dubick is the only one who didn't. These kids aren't idiots. They figure out pretty quickly that they are not going to get on the field. But Maryland seems to be the only team that stacks so many recruits that someone leaves every year simply because their path to the field is too clogged. I don't think that's doing right by the players.
Actually, Will Snider started most of the season on the first midfield for the Terps. His production wasn't high, and he got beat out by Long near the end of the season. Certainly Snider had his opportunity to play. If Monahan had stayed with the Terps, he most likely would have played last Spring.

Recruits don't sign their letters of intent until November of their senior year, so they can always switch off up till that point.
Snider doesn't really prove your point since he played 7 games on second midfield as a junior and started for half the season as a senior and he's the best example of an offensive player getting playing time late in their career. The Terps recruiting is TOP level. There is no shame in bringing in great players that will deserve to play early. But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
So you think the recruits don't know who is on the roster or who has committed?
They probably know. And they also probably have Maryland's coaches telling them they think they're good enough to come and play at the school. If the coach is giving you that assessment you're going to believe him. Nobody is going to turn around and say "Nah I'm actually not good enough to play here" right after the guy making the final four every year says they are. And that's the problem I have with it. No way they get these guys without saying they will play and then every year someone has to go somewhere else and start over because they've been misled.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

man, enough already.
you have absolutely no idea what he tells people.
nevermind collectively, but individually to a man.
nor do you know what most, if not all, other coaches say.

commenting like you are on this particular aspect of how umd goes about it is b.s.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:33 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:03 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
I don't know that the Terps recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfielders in every class. Going by Inside Lacrosse's ranking:
The Terps only have 4 in the 2020 class so far: Jack Koras, Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Michael O'Connell
The Terps only had 3 in last years class: Kyle Long, George Wichelns, and John Geppert.

This fall's freshmen class has: N.DeMaio, D.Pallonetti, Jack Brennan, Jack Sawyer, Dawson Wynne in IL's top 100 rising seniors
Dawson Wynne might be more of a two-way midfield recruit, than an offensive midfielder.
For the 2017 class the Terps had in IL's Power 100: Bubba Fairman, James Avanzato, Roman Puglise, and Wade Oursler
It is true that A.DeMaio joined the previous Spring, but Puglise so far has played ssdm - so 4

For 2016 class the Terps had in IL's power 100: Jared Bernhardt, Russell Masci, Drew Harrison, Jack Wilson.

4 looks more like the average to me.
Ok so I exaggerated. But even 4 means you have 16 top 100 offensive players on the roster and only 9 are probably playing enough to be satisfied. To me that's too much. This year they bring back everyone but Snider and Dubick and they're adding 4 more top 100 guys to that. Someone is riding the bench that could be playing at 65 other schools. I'm willing to bet one of the guys from the Class of 2020 transfers at least.
As you have already noted a number of the players transfer out early, so they are not around to be part of that 16. Of course, the Terps did have Wisnauskas transfer in, but Avanzato, Oursler, and Wichelns have transfer out (-2). Then there are injuries. Avanzato was injured, Shollenberger has been injured, Zawadzki was injured. In general, I don't think the Terps depth on offense has been quite as strong as I would like to see. This was particularly true for 2018.
Actually, Zawadzki on the 2nd midfield has also graduated, to go with Snyder and Dubick.
65 other schools???

The Terps 2020 offensive recruits can always look towards their sophomore season with Wisnauskas, Fairman and A.DeMaio having graduated after the previous season. Goforth and O'Connell are midfield recruits, and midfield recruits often don't play much as freshman.
Live Free or Die!
droliver

Post by droliver »

As it relates to roster size, isn't Title IX a consideration with that?

I think even non-scholarship players and walk on's count for compliance purposes.
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Players come and players go at every level for every reason. To think a coach isn’t going to try for the best players in an available pool of players at his level is absurd. And for the many reasons cited-injuries, slow development, lack of ability, academic fit, homesickness, and perceived, real or not, coaches attitude towards the player. That’s college lacrosse. Recruit hard, coach hard, play hard, stay or move on.
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 pm
Realguy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm If you say so....Not ! Do you even know what an exit meeting is ? If a kid bounces the next fall , he has been told that he doesn't have a shot and that's what happened to Monohan. The player gets called into a meeting surrounded by every coach on the staff and gets berated to the point that the kid wants to quit.
I don't doubt that Tillman would give an honest assessment of where a player stands and what they need to do to see more playing time, but I doubt that he and his staff do what you're suggesting. Just not Tillman's style.

Let's not forget that Tillman has a history of playing "program guys" who develop later in their careers. Dubick, Will Snider, Christian Zawadzki, Russ Masci, Nick Mannis, Danny Dolan, Wes Janeck, Colin Giblin, Michael Adler, Ben Chisolm, Adam Dimillo, Bobby Gribbin. That's just off the top of my head.

If Tillman was doing what some of you are saying he does (in college football, they refer to it as processing players), you wouldn't see that many players earning time that late in their careers. They'd all be processed. You'd see a mix of returning starters with a bunch of freshman/transfer starters.
Wheels are you aware of The Big 10 Commitment ? It guarantees the student athlete his full athletic scholarship for the 4 years of his education. It is the ONLY NCAA conference that operates that way rather than year by year athletic scholarships. The only way to break it is to make the player quit, transfer or very egregious disciplinary actions ( criminal charges or academic ineligibility ) . That being said that is exactly what Tills does and then he transfers in Maryland kids (instate tuition) to free up $$$$ to keep guys or attract another kid. You really have no idea how petty he will get when he wants to run a kid out of CP but hey I'm sure you know more than me.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Did Tillman kick your dog at some point?
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 pm Did Tillman kick your dog at some point?
Nah, just giving a truthful account of what happens and one day there will be a kid who tape records him. if you think you really know him and the program great for you. I find it amazing that people believe corruption in the police departments or politicians, bad actions in religious organizations or medical malpractice. But god forbid a college lacrosse coach goes over the line ...omg how dare you. The best analogy for Tills is the coach In One on One the 1977 Robbie Benson movie , coach Moreland Smith.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Realguy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:00 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:41 pm Did Tillman kick your dog at some point?
Nah, just giving a truthful account of what happens and one day there will be a kid who tape records him. if you think you really know him and the program great for you. I find it amazing that people believe corruption in the police departments or politicians, bad actions in religious organizations or medical malpractice. But god forbid a college lacrosse coach goes over the line ...omg how dare you. The best analogy for Tills is the coach In One on One the 1977 Robbie Benson movie , coach Moreland Smith.
That is a GREAT MOVIE!!!!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Realguy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:00 pm Wheels are you aware of The Big 10 Commitment ? It guarantees the student athlete his full athletic scholarship for the 4 years of his education. It is the ONLY NCAA conference that operates that way rather than year by year athletic scholarships. The only way to break it is to make the player quit, transfer or very egregious disciplinary actions ( criminal charges or academic ineligibility ) . That being said that is exactly what Tills does and then he transfers in Maryland kids (instate tuition) to free up $$$$ to keep guys or attract another kid. You really have no idea how petty he will get when he wants to run a kid out of CP but hey I'm sure you know more than me.
Realguy...are you aware that the ACC has the same lifetime scholarship guarantee? But let's just stick with your example of the B1G. 5 other B1G schools sponsor lacrosse (last I checked). You contend that Tillman, then, is the only B1G coach to process kids. Over partial scholarships.

I do happen to know a little bit about the program, and this is the first I have heard of this. I've heard other coaches talk about Tillman poaching recruits, but I've never heard them mention your specific accusation. I've been lucky enough to talk to some former players and their parents, and I've never heard anything remotely close to what you say about Tillman as a person. Now, I've heard a lot of former JHU players talk about a typical post-loss Petro practice and film session. I've heard that Tierney can be pretty tough, too. I was surprised to hear players say some things about Brecht.

But let's play this forward a bit, shall we? If Tillman is as petty, nasty, and ruthless as you say he is, how has word not gotten out? He's been at Maryland 9 years. That's a lot of players, parents, and friends that come into contact with the program. There's also a ton of high school and club coaches that come into contact with the program. Yet Tillman has maintained this sterling (you say fraudulent) reputation, and he continues to be one of the top recruiters in the nation. How does he do it? The mafia has more leaks, I guess, than Maryland lacrosse. More information gets out of North Korean than out of Maryland lacrosse?

This all strikes me as you being a player who left the program, and you see what happened to you in the way you see it. Fair enough.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Whoa. Gotta somehow check into this
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Isn’t this whole argument about overreceuiting, specifically between the Coot (is that the old doug 7779?) and Iguana effectively a metaphor between their programs being basically top 1-5 each year and using rhetoric and backdooring their way into a first round knockout?

We had Brendan Saylor transfer in, nice player but he wast on the level of Matt rambo.

On the poaching and getting kids to transfer after a year or convincing them to commit one place to shut down coaxes then flip later on (Shay I know for sure, others probably in IVY) is grosser to me. Taking teenage kids and teaching them to be duplicitous, obfuscate, hurt the prior committed school for ones own benefit (at least bad faith/character action) or planned transferring which messes with a kids head and emotional development to place lacrosse over everything else is a much bigger issue where it occurs to me.

And by the way, on Maddux, there’s history beyond Madlax. Ask around about a situation w a OWU kid in the early 90s. Made the early scene in a good will hunting look like a missionary approach.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Cooter has been Cooter for as long as I can recall and that goes bs k to the start of LaxPower. Doug May have been an alter ego. There were many of those around but I do t think so.

It is true that there are Ivy school(s) that have mentioned to students they can commit to their second choice and flip if accepted at that school.

Thetexwas a time when the Ivies has an advantage in the recruiting calendar. Then they didn’t. So it became a strategy to compensate.

Coaches are always looking for ways to overcome disadvantages.
born2lax

Post by born2lax »

Wheels wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 pm
Realguy wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:00 pm Wheels are you aware of The Big 10 Commitment ? It guarantees the student athlete his full athletic scholarship for the 4 years of his education. It is the ONLY NCAA conference that operates that way rather than year by year athletic scholarships. The only way to break it is to make the player quit, transfer or very egregious disciplinary actions ( criminal charges or academic ineligibility ) . That being said that is exactly what Tills does and then he transfers in Maryland kids (instate tuition) to free up $$$$ to keep guys or attract another kid. You really have no idea how petty he will get when he wants to run a kid out of CP but hey I'm sure you know more than me.
Realguy...are you aware that the ACC has the same lifetime scholarship guarantee? But let's just stick with your example of the B1G. 5 other B1G schools sponsor lacrosse (last I checked). You contend that Tillman, then, is the only B1G coach to process kids. Over partial scholarships.

I do happen to know a little bit about the program, and this is the first I have heard of this. I've heard other coaches talk about Tillman poaching recruits, but I've never heard them mention your specific accusation. I've been lucky enough to talk to some former players and their parents, and I've never heard anything remotely close to what you say about Tillman as a person. Now, I've heard a lot of former JHU players talk about a typical post-loss Petro practice and film session. I've heard that Tierney can be pretty tough, too. I was surprised to hear players say some things about Brecht.

But let's play this forward a bit, shall we? If Tillman is as petty, nasty, and ruthless as you say he is, how has word not gotten out? He's been at Maryland 9 years. That's a lot of players, parents, and friends that come into contact with the program. There's also a ton of high school and club coaches that come into contact with the program. Yet Tillman has maintained this sterling (you say fraudulent) reputation, and he continues to be one of the top recruiters in the nation. How does he do it? The mafia has more leaks, I guess, than Maryland lacrosse. More information gets out of North Korean than out of Maryland lacrosse?

This all strikes me as you being a player who left the program, and you see what happened to you in the way you see it. Fair enough.
With no direct info on the Maryland “accusations”, but having played for one of the aforementioned coaches above. Was he tough, sure. Did I think he rode me more than other guys, absolutely. Was he someone I absolutely loathed from time to time, yup. BUT, when dealing with young men aged 18-22 I’m sure you have to be, TOUGH. The hardware, and successful alumni speaks for itself.

The lessons and experiences I took playing for him (hard work, avoiding complacency, critical thinking, etc), have directly correlated into what really matter when lax is over, REAL LIFE. Iron sharpens iron.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 am Cooter has been Cooter for as long as I can recall and that goes bs k to the start of LaxPower. Doug May have been an alter ego. There were many of those around but I do t think so.
not one and the same, but coots didn't go back to the beginning of lp... it's an old running thing...
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:09 pm
1) no, an unbelievable movie!! great pull, realguy. robbie benson probably made me believe i could play college basketball. i'm very sure it doesn't hold up as a movie 100% all these years later, but "all the way with a red hot poker... i can play anywhere i want", is without question a top 10 movie line of all time. and if you're not in on the closing playground scene with the borderline inappropriate girlfriend and the local kid they pull in, with "love conquers all" playing in the background, you are just not in on sports movies.
2) man --- fanlax certainly is the wild west on posted innuendo, considering there's only 4 or 5 active threads going for lacrosse. realguy, while you may have first hand info --- what you're tossing around doesn't have tillman around to defend himself, so if this stuff stays up -- expect pushback in the absence of evidence or corroboration. we'll take the rest with a grain of salt.like the above poster, it's difficult for me to imagine moreland smith pulling you into the office for a quarter scholly, then being run out to the anacostia for faux seal training every morning with your own personal hessian soldier.
3) OR, you must be breaking the code of silence at umd lacrosse that is tighter than any other. watch your back.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:58 am Cooter has been Cooter for as long as I can recall and that goes bs k to the start of LaxPower. Doug May have been an alter ego. There were many of those around but I do t think so.
not one and the same, but coots didn't go back to the beginning of lp... it's an old running thing...
1) no, an unbelievable movie!! great pull, realguy. robbie benson probably made me believe i could play college basketball. i'm very sure it doesn't hold up as a movie 100% all these years later, but "all the way with a red hot poker... i can play anywhere i want", is without question a top 10 movie line of all time. and if you're not in on the closing playground scene with the borderline inappropriate girlfriend and the local kid they pull in, with "love conquers all" playing in the background, you are just not in on sports movies.
2) man --- fanlax certainly is the wild west on posted innuendo, considering there's only 4 or 5 active threads going for lacrosse. realguy, while you may have first hand info --- what you're tossing around doesn't have tillman around to defend himself, so if this stuff stays up -- expect pushback in the absence of evidence or corroboration. we'll take the rest with a grain of salt.like the above poster, it's difficult for me to imagine moreland smith pulling you into the office for a quarter scholly, then being run out to the anacostia for faux seal training every morning with your own personal hessian soldier.
3) OR, you must be breaking the code of silence at umd lacrosse that is tighter than any other. watch your back.
That movie made me and my buddies think we could all play in college! One buddy ran into a coach Moreland Smith. He finally quit as a senior. Played in the Big Sky Conference...that was a wild conference.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 am
That movie made me and my buddies think we could all play in college! One buddy ran into a coach Moreland Smith. He finally quit as a senior. Played in the Big Sky Conference...that was a wild conference.
Point #3 speaks to the total loyalty and respect for the lacrosse alum at UMD. The ones I hear complaining or having anything disparaging to say about the program or Coach Tillman are the PARENTS who have a differing opinion on the playing time their son should be getting. As parents we are not at practice.. we don’t see the day to day effort or lack of it from some players. Have their been players who seem to have a longer rope than others? Yes. Perhaps it’s a trust in the player that he has EARNED. I am not attempting to say it is all rainbows. HOWEVER, I will state from personal experience that coach Tillman is a man who truly cares. He is a gentleman. He has a very tough job managing a lot of inflated egos. He and his staff and his team are a class act. I’m not sure many players or coaches would have handled that UVA non goal goal with such class and poise.
Not sure I can say the same if the situation were reversed or it was Hopkins or ND at that game.
Have your opinion, clearly no one will change that. He helps to shape these young men into amazing people. He teaches tough lessons, which this snowflake generation needs. I’d rather have Cosch Tillman lead in his way than having Petro or corrigan scream in my sons face in such a demeaning way. On camera.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

reLAX wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:31 am
Point #3 speaks to the total loyalty and respect by the lacrosse alum at UMD. The ones I hear complaining or having anything disparaging to say about the program or Coach Tillman are the PARENTS who have a differing opinion on the playing time their son should be getting. As parents we are not at practice.. we don’t see the day to day effort or lack of it from some players. Have their been players who seem to have a longer rope than others? Yes. Perhaps it’s a trust in the player that he has EARNED. I am not attempting to say it is all rainbows. HOWEVER, I will state from personal experience that coach Tillman is a man who truly cares. He is a gentleman. He has a very tough job managing a lot of inflated egos. He and his staff and his team are a class act. I’m not sure many players or coaches would have handled that UVA non goal goal with such class and poise.
Not sure I can say the same if the situation were reversed or it was Hopkins or ND at that game.
Have your opinion, clearly no one will change that. He helps to shape these young men into amazing people. He teaches tough lessons, which this snowflake generation needs. I’d rather have Cosch Tillman lead in his way than having Petro or corrigan scream in my sons face in such a demeaning way. On camera.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Point #3 speaks to the total loyalty and respect by the lacrosse alum at UMD. The ones I hear complaining or having anything disparaging to say about the program or Coach Tillman are the PARENTS who have a differing opinion on the playing time their son should be getting. As parents we are not at practice.. we don’t see the day to day effort or lack of it from some players. Have there been players who seem to have a longer rope than others? Yes. Perhaps it’s a trust in the player that he has EARNED. I am not attempting to say it is all rainbows. HOWEVER, I will state from personal experience that coach Tillman is a man who truly cares. He is a gentleman. He has a very tough job managing a lot of inflated egos. He and his staff and his team are a class act. I’m not sure many players or coaches would have handled that UVA non goal goal with such class and poise.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”