All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ardilla secreta

Re: All Things Environment

Post by ardilla secreta »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:12 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am Ivory Billed Woodpecker finally declared extinct. It is a shame, magnificent bird. I suspect however they have basically been out competed in their 200+ year fight for survival by their cousin the Pileated Woodpecker in its equally long term fight for survival, an equally magnificent bird.

In the past year I have observed a Pileated Woodpecker on a half dozen occasions. That's a half dozen more observations than I had had in my previous 70 years.

Ivory Billed Woodpecker.jpeg
Good book…. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009 ... extinction
Crap. I had Ivory Billed woodpecker last night for dinner with Swiss chard and potatoes Dauphinois. Got it frozen at Aldi. Was marked down 50%.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:53 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:12 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am Ivory Billed Woodpecker finally declared extinct. It is a shame, magnificent bird. I suspect however they have basically been out competed in their 200+ year fight for survival by their cousin the Pileated Woodpecker in its equally long term fight for survival, an equally magnificent bird.

In the past year I have observed a Pileated Woodpecker on a half dozen occasions. That's a half dozen more observations than I had had in my previous 70 years.

Ivory Billed Woodpecker.jpeg
Good book…. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009 ... extinction
Crap. I had Ivory Billed woodpecker last night for dinner with Swiss chard and potatoes Dauphinois. Got it frozen at Aldi. Was marked down 50%.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:24 pm First ever lionfish observed in British Isles. The fish is an extremely invasive species.
I believe you posted a link regarding how the ocean thermals were balancing out...which could shift specifies places not normally visited.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:31 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:17 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:14 am In the past year I have observed a Pileated Woodpecker on a half dozen occasions. That's a half dozen more observations than I had had in my previous 70 years.
Not saying you see one every day but it's not all that uncommon to see those in these parts, have seen quite a number of them (probably doesn't hurt that the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge is nearby). Always know when one is in the hood as they make quite a distinctive sound. Good sized birds, make damn big holes in trees and a lot of noise while doing so. Impressive looking birds indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewfTDsKKCWA
Not unusual to see woodpecker here either. I typically see a larger species (forget the name) in wooded areas, but regularly see the smaller and attractive Downy woodpecker in my city neighborhoods.
,,, the smaller ones are very common in this area. The pileated I had never seen in this area until a year or so ago. When you see an adult pileated, its not something you can forget, when all you have seen your whole life is the smaller common varieties.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DocBarrister

More Evidence That the Fossil Fuel Industry Must Die

Post by DocBarrister »

This is pure idiocy. California has abundant wind and sun. Why is anyone drilling for oil off of California shores?!?

(CNN)A swath of the Southern California coast is covered with oil after 3,000 barrels' worth gushed into the Pacific Ocean -- devastating some of the local wildlife, officials said.

A pipeline breach occurred about 5 miles off the coast of Huntington Beach, Orange County Supervisor Katrina Foley said Sunday.

"We've started to find dead birds and fish washing up on the shore," Foley said.

"The oil has infiltrated the entirety of the (Talbert) Wetlands. There's significant impacts to wildlife there," she said. "These are wetlands that we've been working with the Army Corps of Engineers, with the Land Trust, with all the community wildlife partners to make sure to create this beautiful, natural habitat for decades. And now in just a day, it's completely destroyed."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/03/us/calif ... index.html

It is long past time for the fossil fuel industry to die.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Re: More Evidence That the Fossil Fuel Industry Must Die

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:26 pm This is pure idiocy. California has abundant wind and sun. Why is anyone drilling for oil off of California shores?!?

(CNN)A swath of the Southern California coast is covered with oil after 3,000 barrels' worth gushed into the Pacific Ocean -- devastating some of the local wildlife, officials said.

A pipeline breach occurred about 5 miles off the coast of Huntington Beach, Orange County Supervisor Katrina Foley said Sunday.

"We've started to find dead birds and fish washing up on the shore," Foley said.

"The oil has infiltrated the entirety of the (Talbert) Wetlands. There's significant impacts to wildlife there," she said. "These are wetlands that we've been working with the Army Corps of Engineers, with the Land Trust, with all the community wildlife partners to make sure to create this beautiful, natural habitat for decades. And now in just a day, it's completely destroyed."

Because the good folks of cape cod won’t allow wind farms to just their scenic view of the waterfront in any way, shape or form .
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:50 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:26 pm This is pure idiocy. California has abundant wind and sun. Why is anyone drilling for oil off of California shores?!?

Because the good folks of cape cod won’t allow wind farms to just their scenic view of the waterfront in any way, shape or form .

An offshore wind project off Massachusetts that would create 800 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 400,000 homes, was approved Tuesday by the federal government.

The Vineyard Wind project, south of Martha’s Vineyard near Cape Cod, would be the first utility-scale wind power development in federal waters. The $2-billion project is a critical piece of the Biden administration’s plan to grow renewable energy in the U.S.

Offshore wind development is still in its infancy in the U.S., which is home to two small projects off Rhode Island and Virginia. President Biden’s administration has pledged to pursue renewable energy development such as wind power.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/st ... d-approved

It’s a group of fishermen who oppose the project now, but it will move forward.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:43 am

An offshore wind project off Massachusetts that would create 800 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 400,000 homes, was approved Tuesday by the federal government.

The Vineyard Wind project, south of Martha’s Vineyard near Cape Cod, would be the first utility-scale wind power development in federal waters. The $2-billion project is a critical piece of the Biden administration’s plan to grow renewable energy in the U.S.

Offshore wind development is still in its infancy in the U.S., which is home to two small projects off Rhode Island and Virginia. President Biden’s administration has pledged to pursue renewable energy development such as wind power.

DocBarrister
This dude tried for a decade and a half and it wasn’t the fishermen jamming him up. Maybe times have changed in the immediate past but let’s be honest there’s still a lot of people playing NIMBY games and looking in other peoples pockets first. Here’s a NYT piece in Cape Wind as well as a Nat Geo case study in that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... m.amp.html

By Cassandra Love

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Geography
Nantucket Sound is located off the coast of Massachusetts in the Atlantic Ocean. It is defined by Cape Cod in the north, Nantucket Island to the south, and Martha’s Vineyard to the west. Nantucket Sound is about 48 kilometers (30 miles) by 40 kilometers (25 miles) in area. The population of the surrounding areas varies greatly seasonally, as much as tripling in the summer months.

Horseshoe Shoal is a shallow area in Nantucket Sound located 8 kilometers (5 miles) south of Cape Cod. Water depth in Horseshoe Shoal ranges from 15 centimeters (6 inches) to around
 18 meters (60 feet). The surrounding islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket help to buffer Horseshoe Shoal from large waves. The Horseshoe Shoal area is visible from some parts of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket Island.

Assessment
The primary industry in the Nantucket Sound area is tourism. The area is known for its mild summer weather, scenic attractions, beautiful beaches, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Fishing is a popular pastime as well as a commercial occupation.

The land areas around Nantucket Sound are largely summer tourist destinations, and a number of celebrities and wealthy families have second homes there. Cape Cod has more than 885 kilometers (550 miles) of coastline, and offers more than 60 public beaches that are popular with tourists. The island of Martha’s Vineyard has a small year-round population, but it is best known as a relaxing summer retreat for the rich and famous. More than half of the homes on the island are only occupied during the summer. The island is not accessible by land, and the cost of living is about 60% higher than on the nearby mainland.

Nantucket Sound is uniquely situated to combine both northern and southern wildlife ranges. Both the cool Labrador Current and the warm Gulf Stream flow through the Sound. Because of this, the Sound is home to a large diversity of marine species, including a number of endangered species. Some endangered species living in the area include humpback whales, North Atlantic right whales, loggerhead turtles, and leatherback turtles.
Conflict
In November 2001, developers proposed the Cape Wind project, which would locate a large-scale wind farm on Horseshoe Shoal in Nantucket Sound. Cape Wind would be the first offshore wind farm in the United States. The project would include 130 wind turbines spaced over almost 65 square kilometers (25 square miles). Cape Wind would have a maximum electrical output of 468 megawatts, with an average output of 174 megawatts. Electricity from the wind farm would be carried to the mainland through underwater cables.

For over ten years, the project has faced government hurdles, numerous impact studies, and legal opposition from an action group formed to protect the Sound. The project needed both state and federal approval because the turbines would be located in federal waters, while the cables carrying the electricity would travel over Massachusetts land.

Proponents say the wind farm will increase desirable renewable energy capacity, which can help reduce greenhouse gasses affecting global climate change. They also believe the project can help Massachusetts keep up with energy demands. They describe Nantucket Sound as the best available location for the project because of a combination of strong, less turbulent winds, shallow waters, and low wave heights.

While most people agree that the United States should develop additional sources of wind energy, those opposing the Cape Wind project insist that Nantucket Sound is not the place to build such a large project. Opponents argue that the project is too large and will be unsightly, negatively affecting tourism and property values. Opponents have also raised both wildlife and historical conservation issues. A significant unknown issue is the cost of the project, if and by whom the project will be subsidized, and the ultimate cost to the consumer. Opponents argue that the higher-priced electricity from the wind farm will raise prices for electricity in the region. Advocates for the project insist that any increased costs to consumers would be minimal.

The difficulties with getting the project approved have moved into the political arena. Among the opponents of the project were the former Senator Ted Kennedy and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, as well as other politicians from the area. Kennedy cited environmental and economic concerns about the project. Romney pointed to the environment and the legacy of Nantucket as his reasons for opposing the project. Some advocates for the wind farm have suggested that political pressures held up key permits and approvals on both the state and federal levels.

Even after gaining the last of the necessary permits and approval from the federal level in 2010, the Cape Wind project still faced legal challenges from groups ranging from environmental groups to nearby towns to the Wampanoag Tribe.
Stakeholders
Energy Management, Inc.: Energy Management, Inc. is the developer of the Cape Wind project. The company first proposed the project in 2001, and company spokespeople estimate that over $50 million has been spent on the project, even before actual development has begun. After years of investment and delays, Energy Management, Inc. would like to get started installing the turbines and making the system operational.

Electric Utility Companies: In order for the project to be feasible, Cape Wind has to have buyers for the electricity it expects to generate. National Grid agreed to buy half of the wind farm’s electricity and, in 2012, Northeast Utilities and NStar contracted to buy another quarter of the projected supply.

Wampanoag Tribe: The Native American tribe’s ancestors once lived on land now covered by the waters of Nantucket Sound, and the tribe claims the area should be protected as sacred land. They also maintain that the area is in the path of sunrise rituals important to the tribe. The tribe would like to see the Cape Wind project blocked before it disturbs their ancestral lands.

Permanent Residents: Year-round residents of the areas surrounding Nantucket Sound earn
 most of their living from the tourism industry. Some residents are concerned that the visibility of the wind turbines will negatively affect tourism. Others believe that they will have little, or even a positive, effect on the industry. Residents are also split on costs. Some believe that the wind farm will result in lower electric costs, while others believe it will result in higher costs. A December 2009 poll by the University of Delaware found that 57% of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket residents supported the Cape Wind project, though public opinion about the project has varied throughout the more than 10-year process.

Vacation Home Owners: Many vacation home owners are concerned about the impact the 
wind turbines will have on the scenic environment of the Sound, and they seek to preserve the beautiful landscape of the area. They are also concerned that the wind farm will drive property values down. One owner of a vacation home on Martha’s Vineyard even filed suit to stop the project based on the “adverse effects” the project would have on his views and property values. The suit was denied by the State Department of Justice in 2012. Former U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy, whose family property in Hyannis Port would overlook Cape Wind, was vocal in his opposition to the project.
Federal Government: Since taking office, President Obama has been an advocate for renewable energy, including wind energy. The administration has advocated for the use of offshore areas and federal lands for generating renewable energy. In 2010, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar gave the final necessary federal approval to the Cape Wind project.

Wildlife Conservationists: Wildlife conservation groups are split on their opinions of the Cape Wind project. Some wildlife conservation and animal rights groups oppose the project because they fear it will negatively impact endangered species, such as the piping plover, least tern, North Atlantic right whale, and four protected species of sea turtles. They also fear the impact on other wildlife in the area, such as birds using the Atlantic Flyway, of which Horseshoe Shoal is a part. The Humane Society of the United States, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the International Marine Mammal Project are among the groups that oppose the project. Among the conservation groups supporting the project is the Massachusetts Audubon Society. Although effects on bird populations are often a concern with wind turbines, the Massachusetts Audubon Society gave their support to the project after reviewing intensive impact studies.

Conflict Mitigation
Throughout the more than ten-year span between the initial proposal and the final federal approvals, numerous compromises and solutions to problems have been incorporated into the Cape Wind project. Extensive environmental impact studies were done in response to concerns raised by conservation groups. Cape Wind developers agreed to mitigation and monitoring suggestions from the Massachusetts Audubon Society to lessen the wind farm’s impact on birds. Similarly, developers worked with state and federal officials to adjust their plans in order to get necessary permits throughout the process. Cape Wind developers also worked with 
the Department of Justice and the utility companies Northeast Utilities and NStar to develop a contract that would allow Cape Wind to sell electricity to the utility companies while ensuring a relatively stable price for consumers.

Conflict still remains among groups opposed to the project. Many of these conflicts will eventually be worked out in court cases filed to halt the project on the basis of laws such as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the Endangered Species Act, and the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 am

DocBarrister
This dude tried for a decade and a half and it wasn’t the fishermen jamming him up. Maybe times have changed in the immediate past but let’s be honest there’s still a lot of people playing NIMBY games and looking in other peoples pockets first. Here’s a NYT piece in Cape Wind as well as a Nat Geo case study in that.

By Cassandra Love

Geography
Nantucket Sound is located off the coast of Massachusetts in the Atlantic Ocean. It is defined by Cape Cod in the north, Nantucket Island to the south, and Martha’s Vineyard to the west. Nantucket Sound is about 48 kilometers (30 miles) by 40 kilometers (25 miles) in area. The population of the surrounding areas varies greatly seasonally, as much as tripling in the summer months.

Horseshoe Shoal is a shallow area in Nantucket Sound located 8 kilometers (5 miles) south of Cape Cod. Water depth in Horseshoe Shoal ranges from 15 centimeters (6 inches) to around
 18 meters (60 feet). The surrounding islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket help to buffer Horseshoe Shoal from large waves. The Horseshoe Shoal area is visible from some parts of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket Island.

Assessment
The primary industry in the Nantucket Sound area is tourism. The area is known for its mild summer weather, scenic attractions, beautiful beaches, and outdoor recreation opportunities. Fishing is a popular pastime as well as a commercial occupation.

The land areas around Nantucket Sound are largely summer tourist destinations, and a number of celebrities and wealthy families have second homes there. Cape Cod has more than 885 kilometers (550 miles) of coastline, and offers more than 60 public beaches that are popular with tourists. The island of Martha’s Vineyard has a small year-round population, but it is best known as a relaxing summer retreat for the rich and famous. More than half of the homes on the island are only occupied during the summer. The island is not accessible by land, and the cost of living is about 60% higher than on the nearby mainland.

Nantucket Sound is uniquely situated to combine both northern and southern wildlife ranges. Both the cool Labrador Current and the warm Gulf Stream flow through the Sound. Because of this, the Sound is home to a large diversity of marine species, including a number of endangered species. Some endangered species living in the area include humpback whales, North Atlantic right whales, loggerhead turtles, and leatherback turtles.
Conflict
In November 2001, developers proposed the Cape Wind project, which would locate a large-scale wind farm on Horseshoe Shoal in Nantucket Sound. Cape Wind would be the first offshore wind farm in the United States. The project would include 130 wind turbines spaced over almost 65 square kilometers (25 square miles). Cape Wind would have a maximum electrical output of 468 megawatts, with an average output of 174 megawatts. Electricity from the wind farm would be carried to the mainland through underwater cables.

For over ten years, the project has faced government hurdles, numerous impact studies, and legal opposition from an action group formed to protect the Sound. The project needed both state and federal approval because the turbines would be located in federal waters, while the cables carrying the electricity would travel over Massachusetts land.

Proponents say the wind farm will increase desirable renewable energy capacity, which can help reduce greenhouse gasses affecting global climate change. They also believe the project can help Massachusetts keep up with energy demands. They describe Nantucket Sound as the best available location for the project because of a combination of strong, less turbulent winds, shallow waters, and low wave heights.

While most people agree that the United States should develop additional sources of wind energy, those opposing the Cape Wind project insist that Nantucket Sound is not the place to build such a large project. Opponents argue that the project is too large and will be unsightly, negatively affecting tourism and property values. Opponents have also raised both wildlife and historical conservation issues. A significant unknown issue is the cost of the project, if and by whom the project will be subsidized, and the ultimate cost to the consumer. Opponents argue that the higher-priced electricity from the wind farm will raise prices for electricity in the region. Advocates for the project insist that any increased costs to consumers would be minimal.

The difficulties with getting the project approved have moved into the political arena. Among the opponents of the project were the former Senator Ted Kennedy and former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, as well as other politicians from the area. Kennedy cited environmental and economic concerns about the project. Romney pointed to the environment and the legacy of Nantucket as his reasons for opposing the project. Some advocates for the wind farm have suggested that political pressures held up key permits and approvals on both the state and federal levels.

Even after gaining the last of the necessary permits and approval from the federal level in 2010, the Cape Wind project still faced legal challenges from groups ranging from environmental groups to nearby towns to the Wampanoag Tribe.
Stakeholders
Energy Management, Inc.: Energy Management, Inc. is the developer of the Cape Wind project. The company first proposed the project in 2001, and company spokespeople estimate that over $50 million has been spent on the project, even before actual development has begun. After years of investment and delays, Energy Management, Inc. would like to get started installing the turbines and making the system operational.

Electric Utility Companies: In order for the project to be feasible, Cape Wind has to have buyers for the electricity it expects to generate. National Grid agreed to buy half of the wind farm’s electricity and, in 2012, Northeast Utilities and NStar contracted to buy another quarter of the projected supply.

Wampanoag Tribe: The Native American tribe’s ancestors once lived on land now covered by the waters of Nantucket Sound, and the tribe claims the area should be protected as sacred land. They also maintain that the area is in the path of sunrise rituals important to the tribe. The tribe would like to see the Cape Wind project blocked before it disturbs their ancestral lands.

Permanent Residents: Year-round residents of the areas surrounding Nantucket Sound earn
 most of their living from the tourism industry. Some residents are concerned that the visibility of the wind turbines will negatively affect tourism. Others believe that they will have little, or even a positive, effect on the industry. Residents are also split on costs. Some believe that the wind farm will result in lower electric costs, while others believe it will result in higher costs. A December 2009 poll by the University of Delaware found that 57% of Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket residents supported the Cape Wind project, though public opinion about the project has varied throughout the more than 10-year process.

Vacation Home Owners: Many vacation home owners are concerned about the impact the 
wind turbines will have on the scenic environment of the Sound, and they seek to preserve the beautiful landscape of the area. They are also concerned that the wind farm will drive property values down. One owner of a vacation home on Martha’s Vineyard even filed suit to stop the project based on the “adverse effects” the project would have on his views and property values. The suit was denied by the State Department of Justice in 2012. Former U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy, whose family property in Hyannis Port would overlook Cape Wind, was vocal in his opposition to the project.
Federal Government: Since taking office, President Obama has been an advocate for renewable energy, including wind energy. The administration has advocated for the use of offshore areas and federal lands for generating renewable energy. In 2010, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar gave the final necessary federal approval to the Cape Wind project.

Wildlife Conservationists: Wildlife conservation groups are split on their opinions of the Cape Wind project. Some wildlife conservation and animal rights groups oppose the project because they fear it will negatively impact endangered species, such as the piping plover, least tern, North Atlantic right whale, and four protected species of sea turtles. They also fear the impact on other wildlife in the area, such as birds using the Atlantic Flyway, of which Horseshoe Shoal is a part. The Humane Society of the United States, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, and the International Marine Mammal Project are among the groups that oppose the project. Among the conservation groups supporting the project is the Massachusetts Audubon Society. Although effects on bird populations are often a concern with wind turbines, the Massachusetts Audubon Society gave their support to the project after reviewing intensive impact studies.

Conflict Mitigation
Throughout the more than ten-year span between the initial proposal and the final federal approvals, numerous compromises and solutions to problems have been incorporated into the Cape Wind project. Extensive environmental impact studies were done in response to concerns raised by conservation groups. Cape Wind developers agreed to mitigation and monitoring suggestions from the Massachusetts Audubon Society to lessen the wind farm’s impact on birds. Similarly, developers worked with state and federal officials to adjust their plans in order to get necessary permits throughout the process. Cape Wind developers also worked with 
the Department of Justice and the utility companies Northeast Utilities and NStar to develop a contract that would allow Cape Wind to sell electricity to the utility companies while ensuring a relatively stable price for consumers.

Conflict still remains among groups opposed to the project. Many of these conflicts will eventually be worked out in court cases filed to halt the project on the basis of laws such as the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the Endangered Species Act, and the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act.
A lot has changed in the past 7 years.

Fossil fuels won’t make commercial sense in a few years, whether for powering our utilities or for powering our transportation.

The fossil fuel industry is already a dead industry walking. Lots of folks just don’t realize it yet.

If the fossils won’t transition into the renewable energy business, they will be extinct in several decades … gone like the whaling industry.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:03 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 am

DocBarrister

By Cassandra Love

Geography

Assessment

Conflict

Stakeholders

Conflict Mitigation

A lot has changed in the past 7 years.

Fossil fuels won’t make commercial sense in a few years, whether for powering our utilities or for powering our transportation.

The fossil fuel industry is already a dead industry walking. Lots of folks just don’t realize it yet.

If the fossils won’t transition into the renewable energy business, they will be extinct in several decades … gone like the whaling industry.

DocBarrister
This started in 01 and I was pushing Commerz to go in when they wanted to jump the Ethanol bandwagon, as a German Bank and the Germans err already balls deep in renewables by mid 2000s and other banks like HSH Norbank, West LB, DZ and Bayern LB were already doing solar and wind deals. But couldn’t get much acceptance at the top of the Us part of the house behind Ethanol which had a lot of momentum mid 2000s due to huge gains made my Metalmark and TH Lee’s roll up selling for something like $5/gallon equivalent of annual production capacity. I hope this ain’t just a chasing the money situation like that was and more substantial.

As much as you like to declare victory prematurely and while I agree generally with your premise I remain a portfolio approach type of guy for most situations like this and think there will still be room for fossil fuels, but just as marginal 10-20% of generation capacity. Certainly we can see why Saudi Arabia plowed so much dough into SoftBank Vision Fund however that fund has proven to destroy without really creating much new so far.
DocBarrister

BP Betting Big on a Faster Transition to Renewables

Post by DocBarrister »

While Exxon is digging in on fossil fuels and deluding itself into believing that the gigantic meteor strike known as climate change won’t change much soon, other major oil producers like BP are wagering that the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy will occur faster than most people believe. As history has shown, investing in the future could mean lost profits in the present. It is usually the visionary companies that invest early which will survive. I would not be surprised to see Exxon struggling to survive within 15 years.

BP Chief Executive Bernard Looney, who took office in February 2020, is gambling that BP can make the clean-energy transition much faster than its peers. Last year, he became the first major oil CEO to announce that he would purposely cut future production. He aims to slash BP's output by 40%, or about 1 million barrels per day, an amount equal to the UK's entire daily output in 2019. At the same time, BP would boost its capacity to generate electricity from renewable sources to 50 gigawatts, a 20-fold increase and equivalent to the power produced by 50 U.S. nuclear plants.

… To hit those targets, Looney plans $25 billion in fossil-fuel asset sales by 2025. That's equivalent to about 13% of the company's total fixed assets at the end of 2019. Under his watch, BP has already sold legacy projects worth about $15 billion. In addition to the Oman deal, Looney unloaded oil and gas fields in Alaska and the North Sea and sold off BP's entire petrochemical operation, which produced a $402 million profit in 2019.

… The company acknowledged that its fast-growing clean-energy business - including its solar, EV-charging and wind ventures - continues to lose money. BP does not expect profits from those businesses until at least 2025.

https://www.reuters.com/business/sustai ... 021-09-20/

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Re: BP Betting Big on a Faster Transition to Renewables

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:22 am While Exxon is digging in on fossil fuels and deluding itself into believing that the gigantic meteor strike known as climate change won’t change much soon, other major oil producers like BP are wagering that the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy will occur faster than most people believe. As history has shown, investing in the future could mean lost profits in the present. It is usually the visionary companies that invest early which will survive. I would not be surprised to see Exxon struggling to survive within 15 years.

BP Chief Executive Bernard Looney, who took office in February 2020, is gambling that BP can make the clean-energy transition much faster than its peers. Last year, he became the first major oil CEO to announce that he would purposely cut future production. He aims to slash BP's output by 40%, or about 1 million barrels per day, an amount equal to the UK's entire daily output in 2019. At the same time, BP would boost its capacity to generate electricity from renewable sources to 50 gigawatts, a 20-fold increase and equivalent to the power produced by 50 U.S. nuclear plants.

… To hit those targets, Looney plans $25 billion in fossil-fuel asset sales by 2025. That's equivalent to about 13% of the company's total fixed assets at the end of 2019. Under his watch, BP has already sold legacy projects worth about $15 billion. In addition to the Oman deal, Looney unloaded oil and gas fields in Alaska and the North Sea and sold off BP's entire petrochemical operation, which produced a $402 million profit in 2019.

… The company acknowledged that its fast-growing clean-energy business - including its solar, EV-charging and wind ventures - continues to lose money. BP does not expect profits from those businesses until at least 2025.

DocBarrister 8-)
For your interests you should check out Nextera, formerly Florida Power & Light. Early into renewables. Here’s a recent investor presentation that outlines their activities

https://www.investor.nexteraenergy.com/ ... ion_vF.pdf
DocBarrister

Re: BP Betting Big on a Faster Transition to Renewables

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:49 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:22 am While Exxon is digging in on fossil fuels and deluding itself into believing that the gigantic meteor strike known as climate change won’t change much soon, other major oil producers like BP are wagering that the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy will occur faster than most people believe. As history has shown, investing in the future could mean lost profits in the present. It is usually the visionary companies that invest early which will survive. I would not be surprised to see Exxon struggling to survive within 15 years.

DocBarrister 8-)
For your interests you should check out Nextera, formerly Florida Power & Light. Early into renewables. Here’s a recent investor presentation that outlines their activities

https://www.investor.nexteraenergy.com/ ... ion_vF.pdf
Thanks. Interesting brochure.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Once Again a Texas Energy Company Screws California

Post by DocBarrister »

As we all know, Texas is more of a criminal organization than a state. When not imposing Taliban-like restrictions on women or restricting the voting power of ethnic minorities through racist Gerrymandering and white supremacist voting restrictions, Texas screws California.

The most famous example of this was the Enron scandal, wherein Texas essentially screwed California citizens out of around $10 billion (with the helpful intentional neglect of the Bush administration).

The latest example is a Texas-based energy company that is responsible for a catastrophic oil spill just miles off the California coast.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/04/business ... index.html

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Here you go doc. Georgia’s throwing down on green energy. Rural spot too (close to Savannah though)

https://www.ir.plugpower.com/Press-Rele ... fault.aspx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Here you go doc. Georgia’s throwing down on green energy. Rural spot too (close to Savannah though) - ground broke in the last week or two

https://www.ir.plugpower.com/Press-Rele ... fault.aspx
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

2021 Nobel Prize in Physics Announced. Half the prize goes to seminal researchers in climate science.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 am 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics Announced. Half the prize goes to seminal researchers in climate science.
He may be speaking specifically to the pseudo science of economics but I think the argument applies to how much weight is given to the Nobel Prize in general. Not to say this research doesn’t have value but I personally don’t ascribe any value to the prize as a source of evidence of how good or special the work is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/observer.c ... uthor/amp/
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 am 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics Announced. Half the prize goes to seminal researchers in climate science.
Nobel Prize in Physics Awarded to Trio for Study of Complex Systems, Including Climate Change
Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann and Giorgio Parisi win this year’s award for physics

Klaus Hasselmann, left, Syukuro Manabe, center, and Giorgio Parisi, the winners of the 2021 Nobel Prize in Physics.
PHOTO: (L) JONAS WALZBERG/EPA SHUTTERSTOCK (C) KYODO/REUTERS (R) SAPIENZA/ROPI/ZUMA PRESS
By Benjamin Katz
Updated Oct. 5, 2021 6:44 am ET

SAVE

TEXT

Listen to article
Length 2 minutes

Queue
The Nobel Prize in Physics was jointly awarded to three scientists, including Syukuro Manabe of Princeton University and Germany’s Klaus Hasselmann for their work on modeling the Earth’s climate.

The prize was shared with a third scientist, Giorgio Parisi of Italy, for his work on the theory of disordered materials and random processes.

The Royal Swedish Academy of Science, which announced the prize, said Mr. Manabe’s research, dating back to the 1960s, demonstrated how increased levels of carbon dioxide can lead to increased temperatures on the surface of the Earth, laying the foundation for the creation of climate models used today.

In the 1970s, Mr. Hasselmann created a model tying together weather and climate, helping to remove uncertainty over the reliability of climate models, despite weather being erratic and inconsistent, the academy said. His work, which includes methods for attributing the various impacts on climate from both human activity and natural phenomena, have been used to show how human carbon-dioxide emissions can cause increases in temperatures.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Grapevine

A weekly look at our most colorful, thought-provoking and original feature stories on the business of life.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
Most scientists have coalesced in recent years around the idea that greenhouse-gas emissions from human activity, like burning coal for power, have contributed to a warming climate since preindustrial times. The decision to honor the work of Messrs. Manabe, originally from Japan, and Hasselmann came a little less than a month before a United Nations summit on climate in Glasgow, Scotland.

Mr. Parisi’s work, which dates back to around 1980, uncovered patterns in disordered complex materials. The academy described his work as among the most important contributions to the theory of complex systems, making it possible to describe seemingly random phenomena in areas from physics and neuroscience to machine learning.

The prize, valued at 10 million Swedish kronor, equivalent to $1.15 million, will be split, with one half jointly awarded to Messrs. Manabe Hasselmann and the other half to Mr. Parisi.

Write to Benjamin Katz at [email protected]
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Power markets vary, but Britain’s latest troubles hold some lessons for countries focused on decarbonization

The U.K. is shifting toward renewable power sources but doesn’t yet have a resilient low-carbon energy system.
PHOTO: OWEN HUMPHREYS/ZUMA PRESS
By Rochelle Toplensky
Oct. 5, 2021 7:16 am ET

For a case study in how not to regulate a power market as it moves to incorporate lower-carbon energy, look at the U.K.

European natural-gas and power prices surged to new highs Tuesday, raising fresh pressure on the region’s energy suppliers. Last week another three U.K. power companies went bust, bringing the total to nine in September. British suppliers have been squeezed between a government-mandated cap on retail power prices and skyrocketing wholesale prices for natural gas, which is used to produce about a third of the country’s electricity. More bankruptcies are expected, particularly if the coming winter is cold.

Utilities are generally a local business given differences in regulation, but the U.K. experience provides two broad lessons for other countries. First, the energy transition requires a new set of rules; tinkering with the old ones likely won’t work. Second, flexibility is the key to creating a resilient low-carbon system.

Twentieth-century power networks used a few big fossil-fuel plants to produce electricity on demand. Most low-carbon ones will likely rely on lots of widely dispersed and intermittent renewable energy sources managed by a smart grid to balance supply, demand and two-way power flows.

In 2008, Britain legislated to decarbonize its economy by 2050. Instead of overhauling the structure of the country’s energy system, though, regulators played around the edges while maintaining their habitual focus on the hot-button problem of energy bills. In 2016, officials estimated that energy had cost consumers roughly $1.9 billion a year more than it should and adjusted the rules again to bring new suppliers into the market. They arrived, but most Brits remained with one of the six legacy providers and were still paying too much. In response, the government in 2019 capped the unit price of energy that could be charged to most consumers.

The awkward combination of a price cap and intense competition between dozens of subscale providers laid the groundwork for today’s crisis. New suppliers sold fixed-price energy that they bought on spot markets. The model was profitable for a while, but lost money when gas prices rose.

“It’s a bit of a mixed market, rather than anything that might be called a fully liberalized market at the moment,” says Malcolm Keay, a researcher at the Oxford Institute for Energy Studies.

A coherent reassessment of market structure and regulation is now needed to create a resilient low-carbon energy system. Above all, this requires flexibility, which can come from many things: links with trusted neighboring power markets; customers willing to taper their usage at peak times; and backup plants and energy storage to bridge gaps in renewable generation. Mixing the type and location of renewables also helps.

The right solution depends on local conditions. Britain has some flexibility: a mix of power sources, industrial customers willing to dial back their use when asked and multiple connections to neighboring grids. It is also investing in green hydrogen for energy storage and as a clean fuel. However, the country is overreliant on imported gas and has underinvested in electricity storage, given its plentiful but variable wind and marine resources. Correcting those would help insulate it from future tight gas markets, which are likely to remain volatile.

Britain has succeeded in shrinking its carbon footprint but doesn’t yet have a resilient low-carbon energy system. Others should learn from its early mistakes.

Write to Rochelle Toplensky at [email protected]

Return to “POLITICS”