Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 1766 »

sc lax wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:22 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:16 pm
sc lax wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:43 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:28 pm
-Watching Rutgers it felt like this is what Towson wants to look like. A gritty public school program playing with energy and efficiency across the field.
Unfortunately the amount of talent in MD public schools is not what it once was. NJ public schools have way more talent than MD nowadays, and a lot of kids that would be going to their local public school are going to the MIAA.
If you look at the roster and the current classes coming in, you very much see a mix of private school kids and public school kids. NJ specifically has Delbarton and a few others, but the difference between the good public schools and almost all of the private schools isn't that big.

If you've ever spoke to Coach Brecht about this, it's very much how envisions a lacrosse team. He wants different kids with different backgrounds. He's starting to dip into the MIAA and DC league more now. Remi Reynolds from Gilman has been a real bright spot for the team as a freshman. Boy's Latin's goalie is coming in with expectations.
I was more-so responding to the Towson reference. A few years ago there was more talent from the MD publics and Towson was able to take advantage of it. Different times now.
Gotcha. I can't speak to Maryland public school lacrosse but there is no question that NJ lacrosse is getting better and better, both at the public and private school levels. Coach Brecht has been pretty clear about his recruiting strategy. NJ/NY will make up much of the roster, but there will be kids from everywhere, which is his vision. It's interesting to hear him speak about this topic. First and foremost though, he wants athletes, not system type kids. His theory is to get the best athletes he can, he will turn them into better lacrosse players.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:50 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:34 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:26 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:33 pm At least we're not Syracuse
No. You're worse. Syracuse don't need a new set of coaches....apparently according to your experts, you do. :roll: ;)
we’ll trade you docb and 06 for a 7th round draft pick and a player to be named later
The way you have been attacking every other Hopkins poster, I would just release you and leave it at that.

DocBarrister :P
no i just call out when you and 06 post dumb sh*t which is very often. basically everyone else is fine

take your most recent post, for instance. you’re admitting the effort is there and in the same breath saying they don’t trust the coach? it’s the same coach and almost all of the same players as last year when apparently everyone was so much on the same page. It just doesn’t make sense my guy
You apparently haven’t played on a team where the players played hard for themselves (as a team) but had lost faith in their coach.

I had that experience on our 8th grade soccer team. We always played hard to win, but a lot of the guys openly despised the coach.

Not saying that’s the situation with the Hopkins team now. I don’t know precisely what is going on and I am just speculating. But last year, the coaching staff was new. This year, not so much … Blue Jays are playing their second season under this staff. I just don’t see a Hopkins team with much chemistry on two thirds of the field.

A team can put in a lot of effort (for themselves and their teammates) while steadily losing faith in at least some of their coaches.

Should note that Koesterer is a former Petro player and Petro assistant coach. He’s from the Hopkins culture and if any squad on the team seems to be gelling, it’s the D.

Coach Milliman and Coach Junior? Definitely from a different culture and perspective.

Just saying ….

I’m speculating, just like fans tend to do. Some of you pretend to know more than you really do. At least I don’t pretend I’m doing anything other than speculating, which again, is what fans do.

DocBarrister
Thank you for imparting your wisdom from 8th grade soccer

btw you keep conflating having chemistry/cohesion as a team with trusting the coaching staff but those are very different things. surprised you didn’t learn that 40 years ago in middle school soccer
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:09 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:50 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:34 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:26 pm
No. You're worse. Syracuse don't need a new set of coaches....apparently according to your experts, you do. :roll: ;)
we’ll trade you docb and 06 for a 7th round draft pick and a player to be named later
The way you have been attacking every other Hopkins poster, I would just release you and leave it at that.

DocBarrister :P
no i just call out when you and 06 post dumb sh*t which is very often. basically everyone else is fine

take your most recent post, for instance. you’re admitting the effort is there and in the same breath saying they don’t trust the coach? it’s the same coach and almost all of the same players as last year when apparently everyone was so much on the same page. It just doesn’t make sense my guy
You apparently haven’t played on a team where the players played hard for themselves (as a team) but had lost faith in their coach.

I had that experience on our 8th grade soccer team. We always played hard to win, but a lot of the guys openly despised the coach.

Not saying that’s the situation with the Hopkins team now. I don’t know precisely what is going on and I am just speculating. But last year, the coaching staff was new. This year, not so much … Blue Jays are playing their second season under this staff. I just don’t see a Hopkins team with much chemistry on two thirds of the field.

A team can put in a lot of effort (for themselves and their teammates) while steadily losing faith in at least some of their coaches.

Should note that Koesterer is a former Petro player and Petro assistant coach. He’s from the Hopkins culture and if any squad on the team seems to be gelling, it’s the D.

Coach Milliman and Coach Junior? Definitely from a different culture and perspective.

Just saying ….

I’m speculating, just like fans tend to do. Some of you pretend to know more than you really do. At least I don’t pretend I’m doing anything other than speculating, which again, is what fans do.

DocBarrister
Thank you for imparting your wisdom from 8th grade soccer

btw you keep conflating having chemistry/cohesion as a team with trusting the coaching staff but those are very different things. surprised you didn’t learn that 40 years ago in middle school soccer
You apparently don’t appreciate how much of life is learned through playing sports in middle school.

Explains a lot ….

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:31 pmAnd we’re supposed to take you seriously? The guy who basically thinks talent is all and coaches don’t matter much?

DocBarrister ;)
:lol: Right. Because Milliman or Petro couldn't take that Maryland roster and win with it. Lacrosse is sooooo complicated, that neither Petro nor Milliman can figure out the complicated "beat your man, and get the D rotating" offenses of 2022.

Is Milliman telling your players not to hit the broad side of a barn when he shoots? Is he telling your attack "hey guys...I don't care how bad you want to beat your man by two steps...PLEASE don't do that. Is he telling your guys not to win 60% of draws on faceoffs? :lol:

You're the guy who thinks that Hopkins has had the Final Four level talent for the last 20 years, Doc.

Have it your way, Doc....don't recruit at all. That's all it takes in Doc's world-----just tell that pre-Med kid who's never picked up a stick in his life, and give him your famous "play pressure aggressive D" stroke of genius that Petro just couldn't figure out.
a fan

Post by a fan »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:29 pm
And what has Gait actually done to make you say he's a "coach"? That's Petro's team. Gait is a figurehead.
They said the exact same thing about Simmie.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:15 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:31 pmAnd we’re supposed to take you seriously? The guy who basically thinks talent is all and coaches don’t matter much?

DocBarrister ;)
:lol: Right. Because Milliman or Petro couldn't take that Maryland roster and win with it. Lacrosse is sooooo complicated, that neither Petro nor Milliman can figure out the complicated "beat your man, and get the D rotating" offenses of 2022.

Is Milliman telling your players not to hit the broad side of a barn when he shoots? Is he telling your attack "hey guys...I don't care how bad you want to beat your man by two steps...PLEASE don't do that. Is he telling your guys not to win 60% of draws on faceoffs? :lol:

You're the guy who thinks that Hopkins has had the Final Four level talent for the last 20 years, Doc.

Have it your way, Doc....don't recruit at all. That's all it takes in Doc's world-----just tell that pre-Med kid who's never picked up a stick in his life, and give him your famous "play pressure aggressive D" stroke of genius that Petro just couldn't figure out.
No, what I don’t understand is why you can’t understand one of the fundamental truths about life …

… for most things, it’s not either/or … it’s both (or all of the above).

Talent alone isn’t enough to win, and neither is coaching enough. You need both (and actually even more than those two things).

Such a simple concept and truth. Why do you contest the obvious?

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

And what has Gait actually done to make you say he's a "coach"? That's Petro's team. Gait is a figurehead.
Would winning NCs as an assistant coach and taking teams to final fours (multiple) and NC games (plural) count for anything?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:28 pm
Would winning NCs as an assistant coach and taking teams to final fours (multiple) and NC games (plural) count for anything?
In the women’s game? Absolutely.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

How did Epstein do today? He still in the doghouse?
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

JHU faithful can't complain about the effort the Jays put forth in the second half. It helped overcome the talent deficiency witnessed in the first half.
I wonder how many players on the Rutgers roster were on JHU's recruiting radar during their recruiting cycle?
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:19 pm

DocBarrister ;)

No, what I don’t understand is why you can’t understand one of the fundamental truths about life …

Talent alone isn’t enough to win, and neither is coaching enough. You need both (and actually even more than those two things).

DocBarrister :)

No way Petro or Milliman could take the Maryland roster and win with it. You know why? Because it took a head coach and his staff to blend transfers and existing players, all talented, to work together and be a strong cohesive group that plays together. It's a delicate balance they have had to work on, so that everyone buys into the line up and playing time without causing malice between players. I don't think those two coaches have the personality to achieve that. There were times during this game where I saw players seem to be second guessing taking a shot. Almost like they didn't know if they would be in hot water if they took the took the shot. I have no idea what is going on, but I feel like there is some type of tension within that locker room. Maybe guys looking at the Epstein situation and thinking, "Hey, I don't want to get on the wrong side of things and end up being on the outside lookng in". All speculation on my part, but something is rotten in Denmark.
[/quote]
LongIslandLacks

Post by LongIslandLacks »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:00 am How did Epstein do today? He still in the doghouse?
Not in the box score. Did he travel with the team?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

LongIslandLacks wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:43 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:00 am How did Epstein do today? He still in the doghouse?
Not in the box score. Did he travel with the team?
Yes, he traveled, no minutes
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kikin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:36 am There were times during this game where I saw players seem to be second guessing taking a shot. Almost like they didn't know if they would be in hot water if they took the took the shot. I have no idea what is going on, but I feel like there is some type of tension within that locker room. Maybe guys looking at the Epstein situation and thinking, "Hey, I don't want to get on the wrong side of things and end up being on the outside lookng in". All speculation on my part, but something is rotten in Denmark.
Please provide literally one example of this

Lot of psychoanalysis experts on these forums, who knew
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

He transferred overnight.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:22 am
oh he transferred alright. transferred straight to Flavortown

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Kikin wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:36 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:19 pm

DocBarrister ;)

All speculation on my part, but something is rotten in Denmark.

So they have a kid who is a 3x JHU captain, healthy, and on a number of JHU all-time scoring lists who didn’t get a run yesterday.

Yeah. Understatement of the year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:35 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:22 am
oh he transferred alright. transferred straight to Flavortown

Not a pic I’d be that fired up about. Need to find Tom Colicchio and get a pic with him.

Guy Fieri looks like a crackhead version of Rick Steiner of the Steiner Bros
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:07 pm and "the women's team shouldn't be allowed to wear sweatpants around campus."
Wait, when was this post? Probably during the fall when I don't come here that often. I means it sounds likea a good idea. Why would anyone be against making sure the women's team doesn't wear sweatpants? It should be yoga pants or booty shorts. To affirm this my tongue is squarely on my cheek. Though I'd be curious to know the reason.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

So when did I become one of the more saner posters around? I feel like I am HOP16 or something.

Seriously, if you thought Hopkins was just going to turn itself around because there was a new coach then you were missing something. There is an absolutle reason I was beating on the drum to fire Petro 5-6 years ago. It was pretty clear you could see the talent fanishing from the team. The only reason Hopkins made the FF in 2015 was that one kid had one of the best if not the best offensive seasons at Hopkins ever. Even then it took the AQ to make the playoffs and a couple of nice bounces in the quarters to make it.

This is not a talented team. There aren't a ton of guys with speed on the offense that can just plain beat his man or just physically overpower his opponent on offense. Because the coaches changed doesn't mean the players did. Coaching matters but talent matters even more. It takes time to turn over a lax roster - especially when you don't really dip your shoes into the transfer portal like other teams will do. If you want to question income classes - that to me is a fair game.

And to argue that the team is playing for themselves over the coach is laughale. That team is playing for PM. The game doesn't get close if they just packed it in. The Rutgers goalie made some absurd saves in the 4th quarter that should have gone in. Saves no goalie at Hopkins has been making for over a decade. It happens.

You can certainly question Millman
- why Epstein did see some of the field?
- why he thought it was a good idea to have not one but two set of games less than 48 hours apart from each other?
- why did we set up one of the toughest schedules this year? That belies a view that he misevaluated where he thought the program was.
- what the offense is trying to do? Doesn't seem like it has an sense of how to attack a defense (some of this is pure lack of high end talent) but offense of strategy leaves a lot to be desired. If anyone is on the hot seat it is Grant because the team is average 10 goals a game. That is awful
- why has the defense seemed to figure out how to play with intensity and passion while the offense seems to be going through the motions.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”