SCOTUS

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: SCOTUS

Post by ggait »

youthathletics wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:10 pm
ggait wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:01 pm Regular people all agree on allowing abortion during the first trimester and a few weeks into the second trimester. Which is when 95+% of abortions occur anyway. Which is where most of our developed nation peers are.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdGYdmDLGcN/
Fake news bull shirt.

Countries where abortion is illegal at six weeks or less:

Texas and 10-20 additional red states in the USA.

And El Salvador, Nicaragua, Republic of the Congo, Sierra Leone, etc.

That the peer group Alito's position would put us in.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:48 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:35 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:03 pm I can’t profess to know much about the science of it, have read up a little from time to time, but it seems so easy to say half the term. Half of 40 weeks (which I only learned w my first kid as I presumed 9 x 4 = 36 not 40 so really full term is 10, not 9 mo) is 20. Call it a day. Squares up with the concept of OL up to 4-5mo which seems like a plausible common sense/common man test.
That is probably because the calculation of gestational age begins on the first day of the woman's last menstrual period not at the moment of conception.
That makes sense I guess. And my son is 9 now so it’s been a while but I still recall the revelation where I’m like “yo 9 x 4 = 36 where’d you get 40 from?” Which they never explained and I didn’t push for an answer to.

Either way, cutting it in half to that 18-20mo area seems like it would be seamless. Is the timeframe counted from that prior cycle or from conception (if that can even be established-I know with my son he was conceived either in India or Nepal because we took a 3 week trip over there knowing we were going to start having kids and I knocked it out fast, most likely in DoD housing complex in Dehli where we stayed with a close friend for a chunk of our time in the golden triangle, so that’s my sons story!)

Appreciate the answer though. Learn something new every day.
No problem. And since gestational age and a menstrual cycle both use the first day of the period to mark its beginning, it does not include any time from a previous menstrual cycle. Ovulation occurs typically at day 14 of the menstrual cycle. The fertility window is generally the 5 days leading up to ovulation, the day of, and the day after. So there are 1-2+ weeks of of the calculated 40-week gestation that you are not actually pregnant (making bans at 6 weeks gestation even more restrictive than they can initially sound).

The time passed since conception is referred to as embryonic and eventually fetal age. I have also heard it called conceptual age. Gestational age is the medical standard and is used over "conceptual age" because it is most accurate (in most cases it is not possible to pinpoint the exact time of conception). Gestational age is further confirmed during the first trimester ultrasound typically done at 7-8 weeks GA. Your statement of 18-20 weeks, I assume, would use gestational age because it is the medical standard.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah the thing I’ve noticed anecdotally is that people don’t even check to see if their pregnant until 3-4 weeks in so 6 weeks is crazy. You basically have to make a spot decision more or less as to what to do. That’s so dumb.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu May 05, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah the thing I’ve noticed anecdotally is that people don’t even check to see fo their pregnant until 3-4 weeks in so 6 weeks is crazy. You basically have to make a spot decision more or less as to what to do. That’s so dumb.
Of course it is. It is really about control over Women’s behavior than a real concern about life.

A hundred and fifty years ago there were no restrictions on a woman creating the conditions for a miscarriage before the ‘quickening’ and not even the Catholic Church objected to this then.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:22 pm
ggait wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:01 pm Regular people all agree on allowing abortion during the first trimester and a few weeks into the second trimester. Which is when 95+% of abortions occur anyway. Which is where most of our developed nation peers are.
Fake news bull shirt.

Countries where abortion is illegal at six weeks or less:

Texas and 10-20 additional red states in the USA.

And El Salvador, Nicaragua, Republic of the Congo, Sierra Leone, etc.

That the peer group Alito's position would put us in.
He didn’t mean anything by it. Just putting it out there.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let me grab some popcorn. This factual post is gonna trigger some folks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

ggait wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:01 pm
... basically as it stands today, 99% of abortions are performed under the US viability limit. There are a lot of regular people including me that have a problem with 12-16 weeks, because of costs and real world impact -- it will significantly increase costs and the number of sick children.
Fair point JHU. Problem is that most regular people just don't agree with you. And probably never will.

Regular people all agree on allowing abortion during the first trimester and a few weeks into the second trimester. Which is when 95+% of abortions occur anyway. Which is where most of our developed nation peers are.

When faced with the prospect of 6 week Gilead restrictions, it is just really dumb to hold out for the 99%. Take the 95-97% that almost everyone agrees on. Call it a win. And then make sure that access up to the 12-16 week is actual. Because access today, even with Roe's 23 weeks still on the books, is just not there for lots of women in lots of places.

Those women are hoping/praying that CJ Roberts can flip Kav and establish 15 weeks as the limit.
... the real world people are the people (OBGYNs) doing the procedures. The 99% number is irrelevant to my objection or theirs, it is just the state of where we are. I have no problem with reducing the number of abortions by 5% (95-97% range). My objection is what happens when you tie the abortion legal limit to the healthcare system's intervention protocols (at what age you will attempt to save a fetus in distress -- has nothing to do with an abortion) currently those things track each other. It is expensive and success rate is far from 100% for a 16 week fetus and almost guaranteed to leave the "child" if it survives with a life long serious deficiency. If the law is 16 weeks and a patient presents with a fetus in trouble at 17 weeks, how does the law handle the situation?? 50% or more of the time, you will lose that fetus / baby / child / human whatever you call it and you will run up a very very big bill trying to save it. Until these kind of problems are addressed in the law you don't have a law. Who pays? How big of a legal pain in the ass is this for the OBGYN? How big of a legal pain in the ass is this for the mother? These are the real world issues that will be run into.

I don't believe for a second that the abortion is murder crowd has thought about any of this for even a second. I would be surprised if most republiCON state legislatures have given it any thought. They call in an anti-abortion physician, doesn't have to be an OBGYN, and he says it is all ok. Except that it is not!

I hope you understand this concern. It is not an issue of my preference, it is an issue of the real world. The surpremes are not going to address these issues I don't believe a single one of the state bills addresses these kind of issues that they are creating for the healthcare system. The healthcare system will address as best they can but I guarantee the legislatures and the abortion is murder crowd won't be happy because of their expectations and lack of understanding of the medicine / science.

I guarantee a mother and father who want the baby will end up in this situation, a 17 week distressed fetus with a 16 week abortion limit, the OBGYN will pull out all the stops to save the baby, but will lose. The parents who just lost the child will then be hit with a 6 figure medical bill that they didn't authorize and then investigated for have having had an abortion (the OBGYN) as well. Today (21-23 week threshold) this same patient would be informed of the situation and be presented with an option, given a choice to try to save the fetus or let it go.

This happens all the time!
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:01 pm
Let me grab some popcorn. This factual post is gonna trigger some folks. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So you and YA are both going to pretend that you're both too dumb to know that that chart doesn't tell the whole story, and is intentionally misleading?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Old white guy sitting on the US Supreme Court can't find evidence of womens rights in the US Constituion or prior legal documents from England.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... tution/amp

A great line:
“The page of history teems with woman’s wrongs,” as the nineteenth-century abolitionist Sarah Grimké once put it. It does not teem with women’s rights.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:45 pm
So you and YA are both going to pretend that you're both too dumb to know that that chart doesn't tell the whole story, and is intentionally misleading?

I’m more fascinated that a group of your Democratic friends have posted the home addresses of the six conservative justices, organizing protests at their homes next Wednesday night.

You can see yourself at www.ruthsent.us.

Great job, everybody. You should be so proud of your squad.

‘Party of norms’
Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu May 05, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah the thing I’ve noticed anecdotally is that people don’t even check to see if their pregnant until 3-4 weeks in so 6 weeks is crazy. You basically have to make a spot decision more or less as to what to do. That’s so dumb.
Average is 4 weeks. Lots of women with an irregular or longer cycle would legally be at 5 or even close to 6 weeks pregnant before ever taking a pregnancy test.

And that's if you can get an abortion immediately. Plenty of states have loopholes and waits to lengthen the time before you can have it done.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

,,, this is bullsh*t and you know it. It is republiCON spin! RvW allows for state regulation after viability and as a federal system that is exactly what happens. Most states do either a 20 or 24 week limit. Even Florida has a 24 week limit, same as Maryland. 7 or 8 states have decided to place no limit, 2 of them are red states I believe (Alaska and New Hampshire)

:roll:
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:58 pm
I’m more fascinated that a group of your Democratic friends have posted the home addresses of the six conservative justices, organizing protests at their homes next Wednesday night.
Right. Change the subject without acknowledging the disinformation. Rinse. Repeat.

You'd have made a swell fascist dictator, Petey.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s the same stuff my 62yr old cousin in York Pa, soon to be relocating to Del, does on f**kbook all day and night. Common in social media land which is exactly what you’d expect it to be. What I don’t understand is why some people, including my idiot wife, engages him. All it does is bring out 6-12 angry older white dudes, plus usually 1-2 overweight ladies who spend most their spare time picking facial hairs with tweezers, middle aged ladies, who are really angry. Nothing ever changes and they don’t care to discuss facts to truth they’re just mad at others.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah the thing I’ve noticed anecdotally is that people don’t even check to see if their pregnant until 3-4 weeks in so 6 weeks is crazy. You basically have to make a spot decision more or less as to what to do. That’s so dumb.
Average is 4 weeks. Lots of women with an irregular or longer cycle would legally be at 5 or even close to 6 weeks pregnant before ever taking a pregnancy test.

And that's if you can get an abortion immediately. Plenty of states have loopholes and waits to lengthen the time before you can have it done.
Yeah my estimate was just based on my own handful of personal experiences but sounds like it reflects broader average situation.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

RedFromMI wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:48 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:39 pm Yeah the thing I’ve noticed anecdotally is that people don’t even check to see fo their pregnant until 3-4 weeks in so 6 weeks is crazy. You basically have to make a spot decision more or less as to what to do. That’s so dumb.
Of course it is. It is really about control over Women’s behavior than a real concern about life.

A hundred and fifty years ago there were no restrictions on a woman creating the conditions for a miscarriage before the ‘quickening’ and not even the Catholic Church objected to this then.
... sh*t before the late 70s not many evangelicals cared or objected. It is not about abortion per se.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:00 pm

,,, this is bullsh*t and you know it. It is republiCON spin! RvW allows for state regulation after viability and as a federal system that is exactly what happens. Most states do either a 20 or 24 week limit. Even Florida has a 24 week limit, same as Maryland. 7 or 8 states have decided to place no limit, 2 of them are red states I believe (Alaska and New Hampshire)

:roll:
Oh that reminds me KellyAnne -- your boy Ronnie is keeping a very low profile on this issue. He is going to have a hard time selling this in Florida -- one of the most restrictive states (24 weeks). It is that way because in less crazy times, that is what the citizens wanted. What a bummer, sun, fun, sex, young people, paradise, unwanted pregnancies and soon, more unwanted babies. :lol: :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm gonna give YA the benefit of the doubt that he'll be willing to learn it was wrong...Petey, well...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:48 pm

... sh*t before the late 70s not many evangelicals cared or objected. It is not about abortion per se.
I think Florida changed to 15 weeks this past year, at DeSantis' urging...but now he's gonna be under pressure to outlaw entirely...he'll probably try to land on 6 weeks. Which is essentially outlawing. But all these candidates for POTUS are gonna get pushed hard in their primaries...DeSantis will try to delay it until after this election cycle, but I suspect he'll get pushed..
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Politico-Morning Consult poll:

Term limits for SCOTUS justices: 66% approve; 21% disapprove. Net approval: +45

Placing an age cap on justices: 64% approve; 22% disapprove. Net approval: +42

Binding justices to a code of ethics: 73% approve; 11% disapprove. Net approval: +62
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Return to “POLITICS”