Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
steel_hop

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am I wear my mask in the gym every day. It's not a big deal. These kids are much better athletes than me. They'll figure it out. Worry about something else.
Like what. That masks are essentially pointless for one team to wear them and not the other. No matter what you think it is a competitive disadvantage. Why aren't basketball players wearing them during games? They are indoors - a much riskier propositition than outdoors. Why is Hopkins the only one talk about this? or even doing this?

I am not talking about bench guys that will never play but in the field.

Let's not even get into whether masks even work - hint, they don't unless you are talking about N95s.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they've had positive Covid tests and exposure, whether from being at the Wawa party themselves or through dorm mates etc.

Seems to me that the point of emphasis might be that they've found a way to get on the field this weekend...not all teams are playing at all.

If it required some concessions to the powers that be, better than not playing, right? Even if those concessions seem a bit fruitless on the outside?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:38 am I wear my mask in the gym every day. It's not a big deal. These kids are much better athletes than me. They'll figure it out. Worry about something else.
Like what. That masks are essentially pointless for one team to wear them and not the other. No matter what you think it is a competitive disadvantage. Why aren't basketball players wearing them during games? They are indoors - a much riskier propositition than outdoors. Why is Hopkins the only one talk about this? or even doing this?

Let's not even get into whether masks even work - hint, they don't unless you are talking about N95s.
What about ones infused with copper?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:51 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am

What about ones infused with copper?
need the wink emoji... ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am Let's not even get into whether masks even work - hint, they don't
Lol that explains a lot
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:50 am Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they've had positive Covid tests and exposure, whether from being at the Wawa party themselves or through dorm mates etc.

Seems to me that the point of emphasis might be that they've found a way to get on the field this weekend...not all teams are playing at all.

If it required some concessions to the powers that be, better than not playing, right? Even if those concessions seem a bit fruitless on the outside?
The second half of this post is correct—the first is not. They've only had one player in Covid protocol all offseason and he's back now. No exposure to the Wawa party whatsoever. They are doing everything within their power to test negative every day and be allowed to play with minimal disruptions...and so far it's paid off. Whole team has fully bought into the new standards because they just want to play. Steelhop cares a lot more about the masks then they do. If a shortie misses a defensive assignment I'm sure he'll blame it on the mask. Fired the coach so now I guess it's time to pivot to pre-complaining about something else before the games are even played.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am ....Fired the coach so now I guess it's time to pivot to pre-complaining about something else before the games are even played.
...and here comes the post count increase. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:45 am Let's not even get into whether masks even work - hint, they don't
Lol that explains a lot
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:50 am Reading between the lines, it sounds to me like they've had positive Covid tests and exposure, whether from being at the Wawa party themselves or through dorm mates etc.

The second half of this post is correct—the first is not. They've only had one player in Covid protocol all offseason and he's back now. No exposure to the Wawa party whatsoever. They are doing everything within their power to test negative every day and be allowed to play with minimal disruptions...and so far it's paid off. Whole team has fully bought into the new standards because they just want to play. Steelhop cares a lot more about the masks then they do. If a shortie misses a defensive assignment I'm sure he'll blame it on the mask. Fired the coach so now I guess it's time to pivot to pre-complaining about something else before the games are even played.
Glad to hear that my reading between the lines isn't correct (at least as far as positive tests) but I'd take some issue with any sense of zero exposure...if only through dorm mates' exposure. The outbreak surely had the school spooked and they don't want it to grow.

But the second half is indeed the point...they're trying to play.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Lol that explains a lot

+1 on the first part being incorrect, that is baseless speculation...

Joe
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Lol that explains a lot
It does...essentially I am skeptical on everything. And I'll take the record my skepticism has provide me compared to your "everything is rosy" approach any day of the week. Whether that is nonsense Petro spewed or whatever. The question is why aren't you given most stuff you say turns out to be wrong.

But, let's play this game: masks worked like a charm, right.

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1362135310813958147

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1361878837064126466

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1361745790582984705

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1361443057623703552

How about other restrictions comparison between states
https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1361058940939689984

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1360714566578003970

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1360396841372721153

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1360323405099061248

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1360319669635190787

How about we compare Germany where they are required to wear medical grade masks at all times v. US.

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1359677558829191169 (hunh, how can this be?).

You can certainly believe what ever you want on masks but the facts demonstrate pretty clearly the general masks that people use don't work. Masks are essentially worthless with respect to a respiratory virus that general spreads via aerosol.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:50 pm
Lol that explains a lot

Joe
Nope. Not speculation at all... Now watch this cool trick where I show the virus and cases essentially followed a season pattern regardless of restrictions flowing from the upper Midwest to the coasts.

https://twitter.com/youyanggu/status/13 ... 6444611586

Here is how the chart looks in video form.

https://twitter.com/AdamEzraCohen/statu ... 6546194432
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Lol that explains a lot

Joe
Welcome back, Joe.
Pretty sure HopFan 16 has an inside bead on what's happening, pretty sure you have none.

See that bolded part above? I was clearly speculating that it "sounds" like they had some reason to be needing to prove to the powers that be that they'd be doing all they could to prevent spread (regardless of whether the measures made a lot of sense). As to "baseless", well, let's just say that I didn't suggest that I had any inside scoop on this....it was indeed merely speculative. But hey, welcome back.

BTW, I'm guest lecturing a Hopkins class two and half hours from now...dunno if there are any lax players in the class yet, usually a couple of athletes though. zoom.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm
Lol that explains a lot

Joe
Nope. Not speculation at all... Now watch this cool trick where I show the virus and cases essentially followed a season pattern regardless of restrictions flowing from the upper Midwest to the coasts.

steel hop,
Pretty sure that Joe's target for "baseless" was me. He's got a thing about needing to take a whack at me any chance he gets.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

There will be no whacking in this thread.

Do that at home if you have to.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:07 pm
steel_hop wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:01 pm
Lol that explains a lot

Joe

steel hop,
Pretty sure that Joe's target for "baseless" was me. He's got a thing about needing to take a whack at me any chance he gets.
Steelhop,

I agree with you 100%, it was directed towards MD, especially for a situation such as this, passing off one's own opinion as if its factual or indisputably true does EVERYONE a disservice. Back to the regular scheduled programming... :lol: :lol:

Joe
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Apologies to all for dragging SteelHop out of his annual hibernation. Steel—I'd love to hear about how "most of the stuff I say turns out to be wrong" but for everyone else's sake maybe you can PM it to me so as to keep this thread free of stuff no one else cares about.

On a day when the Ivy announced they're canceling spring sports I'm just grateful the Jays are able to play this season. Less than 48 hours.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Haven't been able to look at the thread today. Did I miss anything interesting?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

nyjay wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:17 pm Haven't been able to look at the thread today. Did I miss anything interesting?
'cuse is horrible.
the jets get no respect.
game is on (covid tests pending), weather frightful but they can deal.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Thanks. Very helpful.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Thanks. Very helpful.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:51 pm Apologies to all for dragging SteelHop out of his annual hibernation. Steel—I'd love to hear about how "most of the stuff I say turns out to be wrong" but for everyone else's sake maybe you can PM it to me so as to keep this thread free of stuff no one else cares about.

On a day when the Ivy announced they're canceling spring sports I'm just grateful the Jays are able to play this season. Less than 48 hours.
Which was basically my point too...be grateful. No whining.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”