Coaching Carousel 2024

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Coaching Carousel 2024

Post by Dr. Tact »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:01 am

I'm sure Julie Myers and Janine Tucker's phones are ringing.
Why?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxlaxlax wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:20 pm Hearing that Ricky might be out at Georgetown
wasnt too surprised when D told me about the rumor...
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:58 am
laxlaxlax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:30 am
Dasher wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:02 am Something doesn't seem right with the timing of this ''RETIREMENT." Are you just going to throw away the recruiting process starting Sept 1? I don't get it. He was at every tournament this summer.
Apparently he also wasn’t on the call where the team were advised either, it was the Athletic Dept admin which seems weird and points to them being kind and allowing the comms to be he chose to “retire”.

I would expect that a retiring coach would usually tell the team themselves, especially with it being such a late decision and some of the kids having moved onto campus in the days prior.
Georgetown - "time has come, you aren't going to return, how would you like it worded Ricky before you sign your Separation Agreement? We will allow to say Retiring if you choose, and if not, then you are officially let go?"

Ricky - "I will sign the release but get to say Retired"

The Separation Agreement process will allow said terminated employee to have a hand in their own wording for the statement but being allowed to say "goodbye" to a team, especially live like a Zoom call, is usually off the table.
If he was let go and did not retire, the AD had had all Spring, then May and June to make a decision and waits until students are returning, fall practices about to start and the important recruiting window opening?

If there isn’t already a handpicked successor ready to name, one of a couple things about the AD. He is asleep at the wheel. He could care less about women’s lacrosse and sending a clear message to current and potential future athletes. (Or maybe both.) Brutal, brutal timing if someone not already identified and ready to go.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:48 am
Brownlax wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:00 am
If you think he retired on his own, then I have a bridge to sell you.

My guess is they get an interim coach for a year. Really tough to get a coach after 9/1 because of how most assistant coaching contracts are written. Can't promote from within because both assistant on staff are very inexperienced.

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.
I think she would be a great long-term choice. However, my point is that I doubt Apuzzo's contract would allow her to accept another position once school has started. (Pretty standard for most assistant contracts).

This is why I think a 1-year interim solution is most likely.
If Apuzzo wants the job…and they want her…she will become the head coach. Her contract will not preclude her or any other assistant from taking the job.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:57 pm

My guess is they get an interim coach for a year. Really tough to get a coach after 9/1 because of how most assistant coaching contracts are written. Can't promote from within because both assistant on staff are very inexperienced.

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.
I think she would be a great long-term choice. However, my point is that I doubt Apuzzo's contract would allow her to accept another position once school has started. (Pretty standard for most assistant contracts).

If Apuzzo wants the job…and they want her…she will become the head coach. Her contract will not preclude her or any other assistant from taking the job.
Highly doubt AWW lets an assistant, let alone her top one, leave at this point in the calendar. Would be hard to replace with similar calendar and would impact program at critical time of year.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:03 pm

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.

Highly doubt AWW lets an assistant, let alone her top one, leave at this point in the calendar. Would be hard to replace with similar calendar and would impact program at critical time of year.
There is never a good time to lose an assistant. But when you win multiple national championships and your program becomes the gold standard, you expect to lose assistant coaches to head jobs. I can’t imagine Acacia standing in the way of one of her lieutenants taking a job promotion. As for “letting” assistants leave, the truth is she and other head coaches have no choice. They don’t own these folks. They can leave at the time of their choosing.
WashedUpLaxDad

Post by WashedUpLaxDad »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:51 pm

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.

There is never a good time to lose an assistant. But when you win multiple national championships and your program becomes the gold standard, you expect to lose assistant coaches to head jobs. I can’t imagine Acacia standing in the way of one of her lieutenants taking a job promotion. As for “letting” assistants leave, the truth is she and other head coaches have no choice. They don’t own these folks. They can leave at the time of their choosing.
At top programs, the assistants have contracts. Most of them allow assistants to interview for other jobs between the end of their season and the start of school for the next year.

Outside that window, it would be considered poaching to even reach out. If this wasn’t in place, coaches could switch teams in the middle of the season
610Lax

Post by 610Lax »

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.

And if she holds Apuzzo back from leaving for a head coaching job she’s basically ensuring this is her last season with her as an assistant, as the relationship would deteriorate. They have a very close relationship and AWW wouldn’t stop her from leaving for a head coaching job, though not sure this is the move she would make. Lots of work there and not a quick turnaround.

That said, I’ve heard there is interest in Kelyn Freedman. Georgetown loves hiring alumni familiar with the school. There may be some hiccups with her current deal at W&M but not out of the realm of possibility.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:47 pm

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.

At top programs, the assistants have contracts. Most of them allow assistants to interview for other jobs between the end of their season and the start of school for the next year.

Outside that window, it would be considered poaching to even reach out. If this wasn’t in place, coaches could switch teams in the middle of the season
Assistant coaches have employment contracts at all programs. Not just top programs. And those contracts do not prohibit them from taking other jobs. Of course given the nature of the sport, an assistant isn’t going to take another job in March in the middle of the season. But if someone like Apuzzo wanted to leave in August, AWW would support that. Again, the expectation at championship programs is that your staff members will get opportunities to lead programs elsewhere as a result of your and their success.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

WashedUpLaxDad wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:47 pm

I’d bring in Sam Apuzzo.

The contracts do not stop an assistant coach from leaving, just like it does not stop a head coach.
offhanded

Post by offhanded »

Steph Lazo back to her alma mater in Happy Valley.

https://gopsusports.com/news/2024/08/22 ... tant-coach
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

offhanded wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:02 pm Steph Lazo back to her alma mater in Happy Valley.

Ok, for the people talking about coaches leaving under contract, here’s a perfect example. Steph just signed one with Delaware as associate head coach. Last year, Altig swore to my daughter that Steph wouldn’t be leaving and they just got her for a multi year contract when they were recruiting her.
Quick stop for her. Doherty burns through her assistants yearly. For those who don’t know her, Steph is awesome and genuine. The kids at Penn State got a good one. At least for a year. 😉
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

offhanded wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:02 pm Steph Lazo back to her alma mater in Happy Valley.

How was she able to switch schools in August with that prison sentence of an assistant coaching contract?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:48 pm

How was she able to switch schools in August with that prison sentence of an assistant coaching contract?

Lmao
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 4:48 pm

Unless someone has seen Apuzzo's contract, this is just conjecture. Obviously some contracts are more restrictive than others. In May 2023, there was a well-known example of a high-profile assistant who wasn't allowed to interview for an open position because her team was still alive in the NCAA tournament and potentially missed out on an opportunity.

If Apuzzo or any other top assistant is Gtown's top choice, and their current coach supports it, the deal gets done.

However, if I'm a top assistant, I'm not sure I take the job. Unrealistic expectations, conference likely on the decline and not a great history of success.
UpDownLax

Post by UpDownLax »

If g’town waited until freshmen showed up, and a week away from 9/1 recruiting window, to fire their coach they aren’t serious about women’s lacrosse. The press release may say he retired but this was a firing. There is no way if I’m Sam Apuzzo, I’m leaving BC to go to Georgetown next week or next year.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Bianca Chevarie cuse alum to William and Mary as assistant coach
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Fischer wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:55 pm Bianca Chevarie cuse alum to William and Mary as assistant coach
Wish her well. That program can only get better, been a long series of bad teams (14 years since a winning record). Would love another VA team to become relevant.
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Taylor VanThof to Denver.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

laxfan9999 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:36 pm Taylor VanThof to Denver.
Was she at Penn State? She really mows through assistants (as Relax has pointed out a few times...).

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”