Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Finster

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Finster »

Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:48 pm Surprised anyone is surprised by this result.

The 2020 game down in Richmond went to 2OTs. Ended with a midfielder winning it for the Terps.

Time is a flat circle.

Wheels, with respect, the on field display yesterday by both teams shouldn’t give either team’s fans a ton of optimism. It’s the first game, I get that, and you don’t want to extrapolate too much, but I’d be willing to bet that Maryland’s offense this year won’t scare good defenses.

On the other hand, I think your defense is excellent. But defenses get worn down. Tills has his work cut out for them.

One ask: does Maryland not ride at all? Every turned ball the Maryland middies scampered to the sideline, leaving Richmond ball clearers an open field. Is that typical of the Terps?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:33 am
Wheels wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:48 pm Surprised anyone is surprised by this result.

The 2020 game down in Richmond went to 2OTs. Ended with a midfielder winning it for the Terps.

Time is a flat circle.

Wheels, with respect, the on field display yesterday by both teams shouldn’t give either team’s fans a ton of optimism. It’s the first game, I get that, and you don’t want to extrapolate too much, but I’d be willing to bet that Maryland’s offense this year won’t scare good defenses.

On the other hand, I think your defense is excellent. But defenses get worn down. Tills has his work cut out for them.

One ask: does Maryland not ride at all? Every turned ball the Maryland middies scampered to the sideline, leaving Richmond ball clearers an open field. Is that typical of the Terps?
We're gonna find out again next week. Loyola will enter the Top 20, so there's no gimme games on the entire schedule this year. No Bellarmines, Vermonts, or Mercers on the schedule to help work out some flow issues.

Richmond is a really good team. That's a tough first game for both teams.

One thing that stood out to me, especially in contrast to Richmond, is that Maryland did not attack in early offense at all. Richmonds first few goals all came either in transition (failed MD clears) or very early in the possession before Maryland could get set. Teams have gotten better at defending Maryland in early sets, in transition, and off face-offs because of how the Terps did this in 21 and 22; but they didn't even try to go in early offense against Richmond. I'm sure Tills would have reasons for this related to figuring out lineups (which will need to get figured out) and not wanting more turnovers (they had 17), but not looking to go early before a defense gets fully set does slow things down.

Another thing that stood out was the number of times Erksa and Malever drew short sticks off switches and didn't attack those. That seemed by design yesterday.

The lineup thing will have to get worked out. Guys need consistency. I really like Whittier playing with Spanos and Koras because of how well those three complement each other. Whittier always has his head up, no one wants to slide off Spanos, and Koras is so good at finding space on cuts. I was surprised to no see Whittier with them. Then you've got the now perennial issue of the 3rd attack spot. Richmond shorted Maltz on their first possession. Kelly was one of the 5 guys they rotated on the 2nd MF line. There are guys all over that lineup that can win match ups. If they want to.

As for the ride? Good question. The way Richmond attacked in early offense probably made the Terps think twice. They were definitely more aggressive in years past.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:13 am Some non-incendiary post game 1 thoughts

- Gorgeous day for a game 1, though one TV lens made it look glorious and the other made it look like Dementors were circling above

- Refs made some baffling out of bounds calls, and they generally seemed to favor the Terps, but they seemed to call it wrong both ways

- If I were a Spiders fan, I'd be a little annoyed that the opponents got 4 extra man opportunities to zero for the home team

- Doesn't seem like they thought through the Replay Review protocol well. A team should not be allowed to call for a play stoppage (Maryland benefitted in this case) while the other team has possession. That was ridiculous and not a good indicator of how this could go. I think it's ruined basketball with the constant stoppage to see if a fingertip grazed the ball on every out of bounds call....we'll see

- Koras was on the face-off wing, which seems to be a new thing. Not sure of the strategy there, but two guys who have been regulars in the past were not in action (Kolar and Coffman)

- Disappointing not to see Stobaugh get time (I didn't see if he was injured or just a rotation thing?). I'd assume if he's healthy that he'll start to get integrated into the rotation. Same with Aitken (he was out last week), Onagi and maybe even Gravino. Sure seems like there's opportunities to upgrade at least the threat of scoring

- The Vermont guys were good. #50 had a bad 90 seconds or so but otherwise strong. He and Schaller are built like East German World's Strongest Man competitors. Stamos is good at ssdm

- When they didn't turn the ball over willy-nilly, the offense got excellent scoring looks. Trouble is they didn't look at the goal until there were 10 seconds on the clock. One guy seemed to have the mentality that the point of an offense is to shoot and score...Murphy
Good observations. I was disappointed we didn’t see Gravino, Stobaugh, or Onagi especially after it felt like our offense was in a bit of a stalemate. I think Gravino is going to be a really special player. The ball movement was excellent but like you said … moving the ball till there are 10 secs on the shot clock is not the point of offense. Vermont guys all look like studs
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Great day in Richmond. Spiders are good and have the confidence to play the schedule they have. Terps do seem to lack the dodging Alpha but it’s February. Defense was very good as was Mac except the turnovers. TILLS offense will get better not worse. No Kolar and Coffman wasn’t even suited but D was typical TerpD.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Two possible factors about the lack of a ride
Richmond had Forrest Gump as a 1 man clear. He was big and fast and may still be running

Looks like we were thin at shorty without Kolar and Coffman
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:12 pm Two possible factors about the lack of a ride
Richmond had Forrest Gump as a 1 man clear. He was big and fast and may still be running

That is true. The Richmond kid had wheels. He would drop the ball on the field for his incoming substitute, as no Maryland player was close to the spot. Very weird action. Hadn’t seen anything like it in a while.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Abr2016 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:41 pm Tills runs the offense. Always has. Even in 21-22 except for a few set pieces. He’s been coaching offense since he was at Navy. And he’s good at it.
Good at it? Feels like we're watching Cottle's Terps on offense. Looks like a a bunch of role players out there deferring to the guy next to him to make plays.

The lack of alley dodging and lack of ability to draw adjacent slides is alarming. Can't rely solely on ball movement to win you games in April and May. Every championship level team Maryland has had, had an alpha on offense.

Weirman and that defense will keep them in games but they will fall short in the tournament just like last year bc they do not have any punch on offense.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:12 pm Two possible factors about the lack of a ride

Does anyone recall Forrest Gumps Jersey #? #19 perhaps?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Erksa had 3 goals and Malever 4 points in his first game back from a devastating injury. There's top talent on the team who can beat anyone anytime. I think one game and about 18 practices with the new coordinator is a little early to call this offense a dud,

Maryland may never have an "alpha" like Jared again. He is not a reasonable benchmark. Tillman's offense made Wisnauskus into the country's top "alpha', and he was nowhere near that level for the 4 years prior. The offense got plenty of great looks, many of which they missed and many of which couldn't be followed up because they were taken with 7 seconds on the shot clock. There's a lot to build on, including infusing some great young talent.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:26 pm

Does anyone recall Forrest Gumps Jersey #? #19 perhaps?
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:34 pm Erksa had 3 goals and Malever 4 points in his first game back from a devastating injury. There's top talent on the team who can beat anyone anytime. I think one game and about 18 practices with the new coordinator is a little early to call this offense a dud,

Maryland may never have an "alpha" like Jared again. He is not a reasonable benchmark. Tillman's offense made Wisnauskus into the country's top "alpha', and he was nowhere near that level for the 4 years prior. The offense got plenty of great looks, many of which they missed and many of which couldn't be followed up because they were taken with 7 seconds on the shot clock. There's a lot to build on, including infusing some great young talent.
You clearly haven't watched Maryland lacrosse and are doing a serious disservice to Logan Wisnauskas. Wisnauskas took over games with his ability to be a chameleon and play anywhere in any role on offense. That's not something you teach/coach. Thats a called having a feel for the game.

Scoring 12 goals a game will not win you anything of significance. They need to use these big physical midfielders to dodge down hill and draw the adjacent slide, Brennan and Spanos in particular, pair them with arguably the best off ball midfielder in the game (Koras) and you will create problems, especially pushing the ball through X off the dodge when the ball is in Malevers stick.
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:34 pm Erksa had 3 goals and Malever 4 points in his first game back from a devastating injury. There's top talent on the team who can beat anyone anytime. I think one game and about 18 practices with the new coordinator is a little early to call this offense a dud,

I’d actually argue that Maryland’s ‘22 championship squad had a surplus of alphas. Wisnauskas, Donville, DeMaio, Khan, then Makar on defense. All of those guys looked like they wanted the ball, or in Makars case, the opponents top dog.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Made the trip down to Richmond. They have a nice stadium and a great crowd at the game.
- The sun was causing both goalies issues when they were on the side where Richmond teams stands
- McNaney played well for being less than a year out from his injury.
- love the leadership Ajax is showing.
- offensive is a work in progress
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:28 pm

I’d actually argue that Maryland’s ‘22 championship squad had a surplus of alphas. Wisnauskas, Donville, DeMaio, Khan, then Makar on defense. All of those guys looked like they wanted the ball, or in Makars case, the opponents top dog.
Agree about most of this but have a different perspective for Makar. Zappitello took almost every team's top dodging threat unless it was a hulking, back-you-down, run-you-over kind of attackman. Look at the UVA match-ups in particular. Makar played a lot off ball that season and sprung doubles all over the place. Having Zappitello allowed Makar to be disruptive all over the place. Almost like a strong safety in football who could roam all over the field. They did the same thing last year. Really played to Makar's total strengths.
gtownterpfan

Post by gtownterpfan »

Has anyone said anything nice about Nick Redd, especially the way he played in the first quarter? Was glad to see Murphy take that running overhand shot in the first quarter, too. Said to myself, this offense needs that kind of shot. Kelly needs to become a more frequent shooter and find ways to get open closer in because some of the other guys seem to shoot like they're just trying to get it over with. Richmond seemed the more athletic team for much of the game, which is kind of concerning with the dumb turnovers thrown in.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:13 am

- Koras was on the face-off wing, which seems to be a new thing. Not sure of the strategy there, but two guys who have been regulars in the past were not in action (Kolar and Coffman)
Both Koras and Long would play wing in games last year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

gtownterpfan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:13 pm Has anyone said anything nice about Nick Redd, especially the way he played in the first quarter? Was glad to see Murphy take that running overhand shot in the first quarter, too. Said to myself, this offense needs that kind of shot. Kelly needs to become a more frequent shooter and find ways to get open closer in because some of the other guys seem to shoot like they're just trying to get it over with. Richmond seemed the more athletic team for much of the game, which is kind of concerning with the dumb turnovers thrown in.
Redd was their best shorty last year, and he should be getting All-American honors, IMO. Exceptional footwork.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

masondixonlax wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am Good observations. I was disappointed we didn’t see Gravino, Stobaugh, or Onagi especially after it felt like our offense was in a bit of a stalemate. I think Gravino is going to be a really special player. The ball movement was excellent but like you said … moving the ball till there are 10 secs on the shot clock is not the point of offense. Vermont guys all look like studs
Stobaugh got a run or two in.

I am mystified why Brennan is getting runs with the first midfield. Why not Whittier or one of the other kids? And while Maltz scored twice, two goals on 9 shots ain’t it for an attack man.

I also noticed their spacing was sometimes weird. When the ball was at X, it seemed like the other five lined up almost next to each other, all tight, sort of within the hashmarks. That just makes the defenses job easier - less room needed for a slide, harder to dodge, passes have to be perfect because it’s easier to pick it off, etc. I was surprised they didn’t really spread the field.
Terpsfan17

Post by Terpsfan17 »

PulpExposure wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:32 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am Good observations. I was disappointed we didn’t see Gravino, Stobaugh, or Onagi especially after it felt like our offense was in a bit of a stalemate. I think Gravino is going to be a really special player. The ball movement was excellent but like you said … moving the ball till there are 10 secs on the shot clock is not the point of offense. Vermont guys all look like studs
Stobaugh got a run or two in.

I am mystified why Brennan is getting runs with the first midfield. Why not Whittier or one of the other kids? And while Maltz scored twice, two goals on 9 shots ain’t it for an attack man.

I also noticed their spacing was sometimes weird. When the ball was at X, it seemed like the other five lined up almost next to each other, all tight, sort of within the hashmarks. That just makes the defenses job easier - less room needed for a slide, harder to dodge, passes have to be perfect because it’s easier to pick it off, etc. I was surprised they didn’t really spread the field.
Yes unfortunately I agree with all of this
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Why is the offense a "work in progress" again this year? Tillman has many returning parts and has had time to figure this out. The offense is slow and controlled and easy to defend.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”