Landmark Conference 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nevadajoe

Re: Landmark Conference 2023

Post by nevadajoe »

On the roster for the South team in the USLIA Senior All-Star game at faceoff is Jacob Griffin of Elizabethtown.

On the North roster at faceoff is Ryan Prum of Susquehanna.

Game will be at Cabrini on Friday, May 26 at 4:00 PM.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

The final Massey computer rankings have been published. Out of the 246 Division III lacrosse teams, here is how the Landmark teams were ranked.

46 - Elizabethtown
47 - Scranton
59 - Catholic
98 - Susquehanna
134 - Moravian
145 - Goucher
147 - Drew
189 - Juniata

The two programs joining the conference next year are Lycoming (ranked 141) and Wilkes (ranked 181)

https://masseyratings.com/clax2023/ncaa-d3/ratings

Also of interest is that the Landmark Conference was ranked 9th out of the 31 Division III lacrosse conferences.

https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d3/ratings?c=1
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

So, while the Landmark coaching staffs are out on the summer recruiting trail, let's take a look at evaluating the team results fronm 2023 starting from the bottom of the standings. All of the analysis assumes that their will not be many 5th-year players, but you can expect some of the teams to take advantage of the last year of COVID eligibility rules.

By all accounts, Juniata (3-13, 0-7) had a positive improvement in 2023 under Coach Stumpo. They tripled their win total and all three of their victories were by a single goal, with one coming in OT. They do not graduate anyone fron their young roster and have some players to build upon. Aiden Duram and Beaux Wojchiechowski led the offense, while on defense LSM Matt McCleary and goalie Justin Toney played well. The Eagles will need to cut down on turnovers (they averaged 27 per game) and add some players that can help them provide a more consistent and balanced offense.

Most longtime Landmark followers will agree that Drew (6-10, 1-6) had a disappointing season. The Rangers had a potent offense that seemed to disappear in some games. Their defense was also inconsistent and let some games where they were leading late slip away. They return 5 of their top 6 scorers, led by Mike DeMayo and Ian Curley, and their stellar face-off guy, GJ Nazziola. The defense will need to be rebuilt so looking for some instant contributors on that side of the ball will be a priority for Coach Leidl.

Under returning coach, Kyle Hannan, Goucher (5-11, 2-4) had what could be described as a successful first step into a return to competitiveness. Their defense kept them in several games and three of the four long poles return, led by Sean Nolan and Dwayne Barnes, Jr. The Gophers will have to find a goalie that can step up immediately and also find some help at faceoff and on the offensive side, where they only averaged 8 goals per game. Expect the coaching staff to bring in some transfers to expedite the rebuilding process.

Under veteran coach Dave Carty, Moravian (7-8, 3-4) had an up-and-down season where they scored a lot of goals at times, but also gave up a lot of goals at times. The offense will be led by second-team all-conference middie, Aaron Judge, along with attackmen Trevor Dzama and Vincent Devito. On defense, the Greyhounds started 2 freshmen and a sophomore and having a year's worth of game experience should bode well for 2024. The same holds true for their faceoff guy, Gannon Mesko, who improved every game. A few key additions should have Moravian in a better position to compete with the top four teams next year.

Susquehanna (10-8, 4-3) is the team that can't wait for the 2024 season. The River Hawks return their top 6 scores, including first-team all-conference, record-setting attackman. Brennan Lorrence, and his linemates Chris Ciccarello and Jack Gaillard, along with second-team all-conference middie, Kieran Thomas and a solid face0ff man in Jared Tavernite. There will be some replacements needed on the defensive side and at goalie. Defenseman Aidan Kennedy was a second-team all-conference selection and graduation has depleted this unit somewhat, but Coach Moan has always been very good at bringing in young players that can step up and contribute right away.

Catholic (6-10, 5-2) will have a new head coach next season and that choice and the timing of it will be critical as the Cardinals will graduate 17 players. Returning will be their two top attackmen, first team all-conference Victor Rosado, along with Fitz McLaughlin. They will need to regroup and provide some depth at middie on the offensive side. Sam Pikul and Mike Tayloe were both second-team all-conference defensemen and that unit should be a strength for Catholic next year as there will be a new starting goalie with the graduation of Nic Pezone. Catholic has always had a large roster and players who hadn't played much in their first year or two have always seemed to step up later on, so Catholic will be as formidable next year as they have always historically been.

It was a solid season for Elizabethtown (12-5, 7-0) and next year looks to be similar. The Blue Jays graduate 3 first-team and 2 second-team all-conference selections but will return second-team all-conference goalie, Brayden Franey, along with first-team defenseman, Gio Raso, and first-team SSDM, Connor Stewart.. They lose a lot of talent on offense and will be led by attackman Colin Kondracki. Coach McGuire has always been a great developer of talent so expect some guys who haven't gotten much playing time to be starters next year.

Scranton (14-6, 6-1) had its greatest lacrosse season ever, setting a new tem record for wins and defeating Elizabethtown 13-12 in a tight conference final. Some key pieces of the offense return led by second-team all-conference attackman, Matthew McAree, and second-team middie, Joe Boyle. The biggest losses are on the defensive side and they will need to be replaced. A really bright spot for the Roayals was the emergence of freshman keeper, Declan Allen, who looks to be a very solid option for the years ahead. Second-team all-conference SSDM, Alex Eglitis, will be called upon to help solidify the 2024 defensive unit for Scranton, but expect the Royals under Coach Hofmeister will be a strong contender to defend their title next year.

Of note will be the addition of two new teams to the Landmark Conference next year, both from the MAC-Freedom conference. Lycoming finished last season with a record of 6-11 with one of their losses coming against Susquehanna by a 15-7 score and they are currently in the process of looking for and hiring a new head coach. And Wilkes (4-13) suffered two of their losses to Susquehanna 21-6 and to Juniata 9-8 in OT. It will be a challenging year for these two squads as they begin their Landmark Conference lacrosse journey.
D3hero

Post by D3hero »

Surprised Catholic hasn’t named a coach yet. I would assume we will be hearing something soon…

On another note, The Landmark Co-OPOY, Riley Langen, will return to Elizabethown for a fifth year. His teammate and first teamer, Alex Kilgour, will also be returning to Elizabethtown for a sixth year. With these two guys coming back I have to think Etown will be the favorite heading into next season.

Any other word on players returning for 5th years?
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

I agree that with Langen and Kilgour returning, Elizabethtown will be the pre-season favorite next year in the Landmark. I am sure that there will be some other 5th years where the school might have a viable graduate program opportunity.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

New Catholic AD started at the beginning of the month but from what I have heard zoom interviews have begun. I got to imagine they would look to have someone on board early July.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Christopher Crapanzano scored 4 goals for Team Poland at the World Lacrosse Championships in San Diego. Germany wound up defeating Poland 10-8 in pool play.
JuiceMan

Post by JuiceMan »

D3hero wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:13 am Surprised Catholic hasn’t named a coach yet. I would assume we will be hearing something soon…

On another note, The Landmark Co-OPOY, Riley Langen, will return to Elizabethown for a fifth year. His teammate and first teamer, Alex Kilgour, will also be returning to Elizabethtown for a sixth year. With these two guys coming back I have to think Etown will be the favorite heading into next season.

Time to grow up Kilgour, returning for a 6th year at E-town LMAO
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Christopher Crapanzano with 4 goals as Poland gets its first win 11-7 over New Zealand in the World Championships on Sunday. Poland plays tonight against Switzerland. Crapanzano has 8 goals and an assist in Poland's three game to lead the team in points.
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

JuiceMan wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:19 am
D3hero wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:13 am Surprised Catholic hasn’t named a coach yet. I would assume we will be hearing something soon…

+1
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

LaxCrusader1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:24 pm

+1
LaxCrusader1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 pm Don't wanna get bogged down in the negativity,
That didn't age well
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
D3hero

Post by D3hero »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:50 pm

+1
LaxCrusader1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:17 pm Don't wanna get bogged down in the negativity,
That didn't age well

Lol

Just two salty Catholic guys showing their class (or lack of). Nothing new.
Leonard Washington

D3hero wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:55 pm

+1
That didn't age well

Lol

Sadly, that's what it looks like
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

D3 Hero is the worlds biggest Catholic hater haha
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:07 pm
D3hero wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:55 pm

+1
That didn't age well

Lol

Sadly, that's what it looks like
Definitely not a Catholic guy. And I have nothing against Kilgour personally, but 6 years of college athletics is ridiculous, and should definitely not be a reasonable thing in 2024. If you think having a 6th year is fair to the other athletes, then you're don't understand how it is impacting young recruits across the country.
Leonard Washington

LaxCrusader1 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 am
Definitely not a Catholic guy. And I have nothing against Kilgour personally, but 6 years of college athletics is ridiculous, and should definitely not be a reasonable thing in 2024. If you think having a 6th year is fair to the other athletes, then you're don't understand how it is impacting young recruits across the country.
Thank you for trying to deflect and move the goalpost on this one. Of the over 200 or so DIII schools in the country, how many gentlemen are using their 6th year because of Covid? Exactly. Your saying the few using their 6th year is not reasonable because it is "impacting young recruits across the country" could be viewed as "ridiculous"

Along with the fact you are trying to pile on/take a personal shot at a young man you know nothing about or his situation. Maybe you're the one that needs to grow up :?: That or try not to talk out both sides of your mouth :lol:
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:52 am
LaxCrusader1 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 am
Thank you for trying to deflect and move the goalpost on this one. Of the over 200 or so DIII schools in the country, how many gentlemen are using their 6th year because of Covid? Exactly. Your saying the few using their 6th year is not reasonable because it is "impacting young recruits across the country" could be viewed as "ridiculous"

Along with the fact you are trying to pile on/take a personal shot at a young man you know nothing about or his situation. Maybe you're the one that needs to grow up :?: That or try not to talk out both sides of your mouth :lol:
If you notice, I never took shots specifically at the young man, but at the idea of 6 years of collegiate athletics. But way to make the ad hominem argument, and not focus on the actual topic I was trying to discuss: 6th year athletes in college at all. Nothing against a young man taking advantage of the rules. All the power to him.

I simply disagree with the idea of ANYONE who has already had 5 seasons to play... taking opportunities away from say a junior, or senior, or even a 5th year. But go off i guess Leonard...
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

6th year guys lost 20 and 21 and have not had the opportunity to play a typical college career. Blame the schools and NCAA for making the ruling not the player. I say good for him, he is obviously a talented player who loves the game, I applaud him for sticking with it.
Leonard Washington

LaxCrusader1 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:55 pm
If you notice, I never took shots specifically at the young man, but at the idea of 6 years of collegiate athletics. But way to make the straw man argument, and not focus on the actual topic I was trying to discuss: 6th year athletes in college at all. Not a young man taking advantage of it. All the power to him.

I simply disagree with the idea of someone who has already had 5 seasons to play... taking opportunities away from say a junior, or senior, or even a 5th year. But go off i guess Leonard...
Never took shots at the young man? I guess my reading comprehension skills are lacking and fading away as I get older. So yes, it wasn't you that +1 on a post that said "Time to grow up Kilgour, returning for a 6th year at E-town LMAO".

The fact is, if you wanted to have a conversation about 6th years, then have one, instead of being lazy and +1/quote about a specific individual. Love the glorious backpedaling or should I congrats on trying to put that toothpaste back in the tube. Hope it works out for you. But you're right, I got you confused with someone else. Carry on. Hope the air up there is clean. :lol:
Tightyrighty

Post by Tightyrighty »

I think anyone playing 6 years of college sports is kinda wild. I’m sure the kid is getting a 2 year MBA so he’s probably saying it makes sense so why not. My thing is that in 21 teams had half a season. E town had played like 9 games at that point when the lost in the chip so, to say they didn’t have a season is a stretch. Also can’t even imagine the student loans it’s taking to do this. Why not throw your name in the portal see what’s out there on greener pastures at D2 maybe D1

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”