2022 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: 2022 Spontaneous/Miscellaneous Game Threads

Post by user1020 »

I’ve seen that often this year. Attackers are taking more shots like this because it’s not being called. Officiating has been worse than just inconsistent this year
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

user1020 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:04 pm https://twitter.com/nulax/status/151005 ... tEMzpz26nA

Is this not a blatant yellow card on a dangerous follow through?
Absolutely is a yellow card.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

t
8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:55 pm PSU getting completely housed by NW, my goodness.
PSU has not had a winning season since 2017. Their record was 4-9 last year, players that are eligible for their fifth year are transferring elsewhere. PSU is a really good job. The AD needs to take a serious look at the program.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

@inthe8m wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:12 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:48 pm Brutal, brutal hit high after the shot for the last OSU goal. I do note that the refs tend to let that kind of contact go if the attack finishes. Anyone else?
I believe you are talking about the goal by Level that made it 8-5. If so, that should have been an and-1 for OSU with a card and OSU getting possession at mid-field. That was a brutal hit and should have been carded because it came after the shot.
I actually didn't see anything - like no contact at all - after OSU's 8th goal to make the score 8-5. I did, however, see the egregious cross check & shove after OSU scored to make it 6-5. That hit was so late ball was already out of the attackers stick and in the goal before the defender made contact. Even in real time, it looked bad.

Even if officials have been letting it go, they should not be allowing late hits like that.

I also thought OSU #28's hit on a Louisville attacker #20 at 8:12 in the 2nd quarter could have possibly been carded, but it was no where near as bad as the one after OSU's 6th goal.

Long shot - but does anyone know if officials themselves or the Rules Committee look at game replays to evaluate officiating and see missed calls?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:26 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:48 pm Brutal, brutal hit high after the shot for the last OSU goal. I do note that the refs tend to let that kind of contact go if the attack finishes. Anyone else?
I believe you are talking about the goal by Level that made it 8-5. If so, that should have been an and-1 for OSU with a card and OSU getting possession at mid-field. That was a brutal hit and should have been carded because it came after the shot.
I actually didn't see anything - like no contact at all - after OSU's 8th goal to make the score 8-5. I did, however, see the egregious cross check & shove after OSU scored to make it 6-5. That hit was so late ball was already out of the attackers stick and in the goal before the defender made contact. Even in real time, it looked bad.

Even if officials have been letting it go, they should not be allowing late hits like that.

I also thought OSU #28's hit on a Louisville attacker #20 at 8:12 in the 2nd quarter could have possibly been carded, but it was no where near as bad as the one after OSU's 6th goal.

Long shot - but does anyone know if officials themselves or the Rules Committee look at game replays to evaluate officiating and see missed calls?
Are you expecting more considering they are still using HIGH SCHOOL refs to ref D1 games? Doesn’t that tell you something about the ref pool?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:04 am

Are you expecting more considering they are still using HIGH SCHOOL refs to ref D1 games? Doesn’t that tell you something about the ref pool?
I read this article in the Boston Globe a while back:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/high ... dMore_Pos3

It doesn't surprise me there is a shortage of experienced refs for women's lacrosse, especially considering how the sport has exploded across the country. Plus, all refs in all sports no matter how well trained and experienced make bad calls during games and miss calls during games. It's the human element in sports which is why sports is such theater and high drama at times. Refs can't keep their eye on everything all the time during games. They are bound to miss things. Plus who knows what they are told behind closed doors as to what to allow and what to look the other way at. Those are two real considerations, to wit: the human element of just plain missing calls and what the NCAA calls them to focus on and what to let go. I don't know all the behind scenes details, but I do know that calls are missed all the time in sports. Plus when you have fans who can get downright abusive--verbally and physically--toward refs; is it any wonder there is a shortage?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:40 pm
user1020 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:04 pm https://twitter.com/nulax/status/151005 ... tEMzpz26nA

Agreed. And NU posts it, nonetheless, for the world to see over and over. Pretty weird.

On another topic...PSU has great facilities, good academics, resides adjacent to several so-called hot-beds of girls high school lacrosse, participates in a power conference, and has headliners in several other sports. At some point, the current staff has to actually start generating consistent quality of play and respectable results.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:04 am

Am I expecting more what? Officials? Or more out of the performance of officials? I just asked if anyone knew whether it was commonplace or requirement for the Rules Committee or officials to review officiating in games, evaluate their performance, and identify missed calls/areas for improvement.

That missed call after OSU’s 6th goal was not one that I thought required tons of D1 experience. It was a late hit after a goal. The ball was in the goal before the defender even reached the shooter. It’s a foul in most other sports as well.

Yes, the officials have a rough job, and the ambiguity of some of the rules doesn’t help them - but IMO this was a huge miss.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:31 am
8meterPA wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:40 pm

Agreed. And NU posts it, nonetheless, for the world to see over and over. Pretty weird.

On another topic...PSU has great facilities, good academics, resides adjacent to several so-called hot-beds of girls high school lacrosse, participates in a power conference, and has headliners in several other sports. At some point, the current staff has to actually start generating consistent quality of play and respectable results.

That "non-call" was interesting. I watched it about 4 times and I watched the official who was right there...and nothing! I can see how that could have been called, but I'm guessing that it wasn't made because of 1) where the shot was taken from, and 2) where the follow through was, which was below the waist. Most dangerous follow throughs are called on high shots above the waist.

Let me know your thoughts on that.

Also, I am absolutely impressed with that shot and score by Jill Girardi. That particular shot is what I call a "short" bounce. It was executed perfectly and had a textbook result. LOVE IT!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

I have noticed this a few times this year as well. When shooting from the hip and the follow through hits the defender below the waist the refs don't seem to be calling the dangerous shot/propel on that. I've been surprised to see that. Same follow through lands on the head or shoulder that's going to be a card. I can think of a shot when Nicole Levy was playing for Cuse that was similar to that but she hit the defender nowhere near as hard as this gal does and she was carded and the goal was disallowed. Was a big goal too, Cuse needed it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

The male commentator is a little confused, there is no time limit to get the ball past midfield on a possession in wlax, right?
user1020

Post by user1020 »

user1020

Post by user1020 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am The male commentator is a little confused, there is no time limit to get the ball past midfield on a possession in wlax, right?
Only in mens, so you are correct
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:37 am https://twitter.com/uncwlax/status/1510 ... yAJdXXMdgg

Interesting line up?? :lol:
:lol: fitting as it is alumni weekend
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:42 am
DMac wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am The male commentator is a little confused, there is no time limit to get the ball past midfield on a possession in wlax, right?
Which game is this?
DMac

Post by DMac »

No Carney again today for Cuse...damn!
Cuse goes up 1-0, nice pass from EH to MT.
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:06 pm
user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:42 am
Which game is this?
ND-UNC, commentator said the clearing team had to hurry to get the ball across the midfield line(can't remember which team).
DMac

Post by DMac »

Cuse not looking real smooth and clean but ties it at 2. EH.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, EH looking very EHish today.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Pretty good game shaping up at Duke. UVA 6, Duke 4 in the Second Quarter.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”