Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by faircornell »

I didn't intend to cause such a reaction with my comments, but I do encourage any and all Cornellians who can to show their support for Athletics.

DIII may not happen, formally, but it certainly can happen in implementation. Programs can be allowed to whither and fail. Programs can be eliminated. We've already seen that at Cornell and other Ivy institutions.

For any people looking for a contemporaneous example, the hundred year old Hoy Field that hosts baseball is being moved off campus away from the complex of athletics buildings. While its replacement will be a large and important computer science facility (I'm told), the likelihood of a student casually dropping in to watch a few innings of baseball in the spring just dropped to zero.

Fortunately, the lacrosse alumni group seems stronger than ever.
Last edited by faircornell on Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

mountainred wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:10 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:31 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:22 pm
Gobigred wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:17 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:01 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:27 pm With regard to AD matters, there are two things that concern me going forward:

1. Lacrosse is one of the premier "assets" in the portfolio of Cornell sports. It has, too often, been a bit of a political "football" with respect to who controls the program, the AD or the coaches. Currently, we have alignment between the AD and the lacrosse program. I sincerely hope that the new person can recognize the virtuous cycle that we are on, and let the program develop without unneeded drama. I hope that they do not use lacrosse as a springboard for cementing their new position through micro management.

2. Within the Cornell community, there are opinions that athletics is an outmoded concept for a serious research university. During Covid, some voices were calling for DIII as a better place for Cornell sports. I do hope that the next AD keeps excellence in DI sports as their primary objective.
Will all due respect(cough,cough) there are many top level universities that compete effectively in all sports at the D1 level. If SUNY Cornell would like to go D3 given its bankrupt Athletic Association, well, that's their call. However, the "...athletics is an outmoded concept for a serious research university" comment is as laughable as the "mask required" for outdoor events that Cornell ascribed to on Tuesday...
Why don't you just butt out with your childish SUNY silliness.
My brother played basketball for Tom Miller and the Big Red back when. He attended the AG school at SUNY Cornell, I guess that's silly, eh?
Wow, then your brother played with or is?
1. Johnny Bajusz( best 3 point shooter we ever had and the only player Miller would give the green light.
2. Kenny Bantum (scary big man who was as tough as anybody.
3. Drew Palmer, Wolfgang Flores, Greg Gilda
4. And I believe Sam Givens or Josh Wexler was our other guard.
What teams those were and watching Miller's antics on the sideline which like his mentor, Robert Knight were sometimes way over the top.
One time, he grabbed Bajusz and threw him to the bench like he was a rag doll.
Great memories at Barton.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Does Bryan Colangelo have a brother? Actually, considering Bryan's use of burner accounts, are you Bryan? :)

Miller was something else. Knew the game inside and out, but his post-Cornell coaching career was underwhelming and the "antics" were too much for West Point.

And Ryan Wittman would like a word with you about who was the best 3 point shooter of all time for us (not saying you are wrong, but its really close).
Miller was flat out nuts. He was worth the price of admission. His beratement of his players was legendary. If you took a shot he didn't like, you didn't want to go near him. Except for Bantum and Bajusz, and if he thought you were slacking on Defense, he would go berserk. Too bad his crazy antics and temper overshadowed his basketball genius much like his buddy, Bobby Knight.
Ryan was awesome and led those championship teams but Johnny and his legendary bone spurs was still Cornell's best ever 3 point shooter. If he had not been so physically compromised, he would have been at Indiana, as I believe he was Mr. Indiana basketball but he was so unsound, that he couldn't play for those big time programs.
Those games in the dungeon known as Barton Hall were legendary.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

Gobigred wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:17 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:01 pm
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:27 pm With regard to AD matters, there are two things that concern me going forward:

1. Lacrosse is one of the premier "assets" in the portfolio of Cornell sports. It has, too often, been a bit of a political "football" with respect to who controls the program, the AD or the coaches. Currently, we have alignment between the AD and the lacrosse program. I sincerely hope that the new person can recognize the virtuous cycle that we are on, and let the program develop without unneeded drama. I hope that they do not use lacrosse as a springboard for cementing their new position through micro management.

2. Within the Cornell community, there are opinions that athletics is an outmoded concept for a serious research university. During Covid, some voices were calling for DIII as a better place for Cornell sports. I do hope that the next AD keeps excellence in DI sports as their primary objective.
Will all due respect(cough,cough) there are many top level universities that compete effectively in all sports at the D1 level. If SUNY Cornell would like to go D3 given its bankrupt Athletic Association, well, that's their call. However, the "...athletics is an outmoded concept for a serious research university" comment is as laughable as the "mask required" for outdoor events that Cornell ascribed to on Tuesday...
Why don't you just butt out with your childish SUNY silliness.
In reading his posts, it's obvious he can't help but be insufferable.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Duplicate post. My apologies.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Joewillie78, you had me at “flatout nuts” :lol: and don’t forget how the sound would echo in Barton…my mom stopped going to games because of his language. He won some games, though. I believe he went out west, but like his mentor, burned up in a fit of rage.

As for “lax juries”, when I want your opinion I’ll politely ask for it!
Last edited by FMUBart on Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:57 pm Joewillie78, you had me at “flatout nuts” :lol: and don’t forget how the sound would echo in Barton…my mom stopped going to games because of his language. He won some games, though. I believe he went out west, but like his mentor, burned upon a fit of rage.

As for “lax juries”, when I want your opinion I’ll politely ask for it!
Yes, he was hired by Colorado and had a little initial success but they soon also tired of his act.
I love our new facility but their was something about creepy Barton that made those games legendary.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:33 am Massey Ratings prediction: Cornell 13 OSU 12: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=934846147
Maybe another 17-16 barn burner...
Go Big Red!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Trumansburger wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:08 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:33 am Massey Ratings prediction: Cornell 13 OSU 12: https://masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=934846147
Maybe another 17-16 barn burner...
Go Big Red!
TB,
This has all the making of an incredibly great game as these 2 teams, if you watch them play are mirror images of each other. Both can light it up, but both can play great defense.
I see the difference in this game being which Goalie gets hot and which FOGO gets hot.
Heres hoping for our sake, it's Lerlan and PETRAKIS.
Best game of the weekend in D1 lax is at the Kopf tomorrow. Can't wait.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

I know my Dad, a 1951 grad who has long since passed would be very upset if they gave up on sports. He just loved it- win or lose. He had season tickets for football until he died in 2002. He loved Schoellkopf and proudly talked about doing his ROTC work at Barton Hall.

Penn, where I went has the same disinterest issues from the admin and students. Attendance for the sporting events is low. Hopefully, the trend will turn, but there is no question the alumni money drives.

Go Big Red and Go Quakers
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Bad news for the Big Red Offense- Lombardi- torn ACL.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Very sorry to hear this. I thought at the time it was a serious knee injury, and sad that it is. Best wishes to him for a successful recovery.
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Sorry to hear about Lombardi knee injury, always hard to lose time but these players have missed so much already.

In 2020 Ohio State had great wing play, my guess is this is driven by coaching and we will see it again tomorrow with new players. I think this may be a place we have improvement from 2020. I really like what we’ve seen in #7 from Vermont. If/when Petrakis picks up the ground ball he will need to find space or open man quickly. It seems like he’s much more willing to go back to his defense to set up a clear but a couple of his flips/roles resulted it some near turnovers/potential fast break goals. Ohio State will be all over him. Wing play is likely going to be a big determining factor tomorrow.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

TopShelf585 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:58 pm Bad news for the Big Red Offense- Lombardi- torn ACL.
That sucks man. I had been looking forward to him breaking out this season. Have been following him since high school. It stinks.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

So sorry to hear about JJ. He was having a marvelous season but as I said before, good or great teams have guys waiting to step in and we have done a great job of doing this with the injuries to Long and now JJ. I have complete confidence in coach Buszek (did I get that right?), to make the right moves, and complete confidence in our backups.
Great test tomorrow for this teams resilience.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:30 pm So sorry to hear about JJ. He was having a marvelous season but as I said before, good or great teams have guys waiting to step in and we have done a great job of doing this with the injuries to Long and now JJ. I have complete confidence in coach Buszek (did I get that right?), to make the right moves, and complete confidence in our backups.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No! Buczek!! GO BIG RED!!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:51 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:30 pm So sorry to hear about JJ. He was having a marvelous season but as I said before, good or great teams have guys waiting to step in and we have done a great job of doing this with the injuries to Long and now JJ. I have complete confidence in coach Buszek (did I get that right?), to make the right moves, and complete confidence in our backups.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No! Buczek!! GO BIG RED!!
:lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Hey Joe, back when Connor was a player, the announcers on the stream of an away game kept calling him Buck-zeck. Drop the first k and the second c, and you've got it!

We've all got to do our part to keep lf1313's blood pressure down. Doctor's orders.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:16 pm Hey Joe, back when Connor was a player, the announcers on the stream of an away game kept calling him Buck-zeck. Drop the first k and the second c, and you've got it!

We've all got to do our part to keep lf1313's blood pressure down. Doctor's orders.
105 over 70 CU77.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

It's working!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”