New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I hope this experiment goes belly up this year so that a real lasting pro league can replace it. AU is a series of exhibitions with a twist--they switch up the teams every weekend. There are no real teams (as we know them), no standings, no playoffs, no actual championship game--just an individual champion at the end of the "season."

Taylor Cummings was the '21 champion.
You mean MVP.
No, champion.
But how can a single player claim the championship for a whole league.
I'm not telling you it makes sense, I'm just telling you how the "league" conducts their business.
That's not a league then.
Preaching to the choir, my friend.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Meanwhile the skill level of the players is off the charts and the competition is just fantastic.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 am I hope this experiment goes belly up this year so that a real lasting pro league can replace it. AU is a series of exhibitions with a twist--they switch up the teams every weekend. There are no real teams (as we know them), no standings, no playoffs, no actual championship game--just an individual champion at the end of the "season."

You mean MVP.
No, champion.
I'm not telling you it makes sense, I'm just telling you how the "league" conducts their business.
I am curious. You keep saying you are a fan of this "wonderful" game of women's lacrosse. The skill, the toughness the.....what ever superlatives you decide to bestow. Then you come out and say this? Somehow the fact that there are no set rosters makes the lacrosse these people are playing so horrible that you hope the league goes belly up? There is some excellent lacrosse played on those fields, by the best players and I would think a fan of the game would see that.

I personally like the college game better but will watch this because there is some excellent lacrosse being played.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:59 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:15 am I hope this experiment goes belly up this year so that a real lasting pro league can replace it. AU is a series of exhibitions with a twist--they switch up the teams every weekend. There are no real teams (as we know them), no standings, no playoffs, no actual championship game--just an individual champion at the end of the "season."

You mean MVP.
No, champion.
I am curious. You keep saying you are a fan of this "wonderful" game of women's lacrosse. The skill, the toughness the.....what ever superlatives you decide to bestow. Then you come out and say this? Somehow the fact that there are no set rosters makes the lacrosse these people are playing so horrible that you hope the league goes belly up? There is some excellent lacrosse played on those fields, by the best players and I would think a fan of the game would see that.

I personally like the college game better but will watch this because there is some excellent lacrosse being played.
I don't see this as contradictory in the least. I don't like how the sport is being showcased by this venue. Simple. The same way I detest the "sixes" bastardized version of the women's game.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:09 am

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

I don't see this as contradictory in the least. I don't like how the sport is being showcased by this venue. Simple. The same way I detest the "sixes" bastardized version of the women's game.
Of course you don't.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:21 am

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

Of course you don't.
So much for that discussion.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

They had tried the more traditional version of a professional league twice already
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:30 am

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

Of course you don't.
What was your discussion going to be ONW? From the way I read your response you see no value in just watching a good game of lacrosse. From what I read you do not like the way the sport is showcased. This is my interpretation...there has to be something in it for you...a team to cheer for, someone to cheer against. Please, correct me if I am wrong. But from your statements above you really just can not enjoy a good game if you do not have some type of self interest.

I would like to know how the way the league is set up is not showcasing the sport in a positive fashion? Are they playing women's lacrosse? Are the games fast, competitive and of the highest level? Is the skill level of the players off the chart? What is it about the sport that is not being showcased by this venue?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:50 am

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

Of course you don't.
What was your discussion going to be ONW? From the way I read your response you see no value in just watching a good game of lacrosse. From what I read you do not like the way the sport is showcased. This is my interpretation...there has to be something in it for you...a team to cheer for, someone to cheer against. Please, correct me if I am wrong. But from your statements above you really just can not enjoy a good game if you do not have some type of self interest.

I would like to know how the way the league is set up is not showcasing the sport in a positive fashion? Are they playing women's lacrosse? Are the games fast, competitive and of the highest level? Is the skill level of the players off the chart? What is it about the sport that is not being showcased by this venue?
I spelled out what my objections were in the original post in this thread. I think I was clear. I need typical league structuring to be satisfied. That’s me. I know there’s talent. It would be better served in a league for my taste. In the end it doesn’t count toward anything except an individual award. That’s why I refer to these games as glorified all-star scrimmages. That’s all they are.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:45 am They had tried the more traditional version of a professional league twice already
I would say many professional leagues failed before one caught on in the different major league sports.
Bart

Post by Bart »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

Of course you don't.

I spelled out what my objections were in the original post in this thread. I think I was clear. I need typical league structuring to be satisfied. That’s me. I know there’s talent. It would be better served in a league for my taste. In the end it doesn’t count toward anything except an individual award. That’s why I refer to these games as glorified all-star scrimmages. That’s all they are.
But the fact remains the very best are being showcased in a meaningful manner. Meaningful in the sense that people are watching. Fans of women’s lacrosse watching the very best play at the highest level. That is meaningful to lots of fans of the sport.

At this point is is nice to see these players have an outlet to showcase their talents.

Edit: BTW, i have changed my mind on the product. I still like the college game better but I can enjoy this game.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:45 am They had tried the more traditional version of a professional league twice already
I would say many professional leagues failed before one caught on in the different major league sports.
Yes, I know. My point was more along the lines of: “they’ve tried that twice, what’s the harm in trying something different?”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:31 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:53 pm

You mean MVP.
No, champion.

Of course you don't.

But the fact remains the very best are being showcased in a meaningful manner. Meaningful in the sense that people are watching. Fans of women’s lacrosse watching the very best play at the highest level. That is meaningful to lots of fans of the sport.

At this point is is nice to see these players have an outlet to showcase their talents.

Edit: BTW, i have changed my mind on the product. I still like the college game better but I can enjoy this game.
Good points, Bart. Can’t argue with anything you said. Just not my cup of molasses.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:18 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:54 pm
Yes, I know. My point was more along the lines of: “they’ve tried that twice, what’s the harm in trying something different?”
No harm. It’s just not a product in its present form that appeals to me. Not until it’s a real league with standings and playoffs and a championship game will I be interested. Just not my structure.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Bart wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:31 pm But the fact remains the very best are being showcased in a meaningful manner. Meaningful in the sense that people are watching. Fans of women’s lacrosse watching the very best play at the highest level. That is meaningful to lots of fans of the sport.

The college game remains the purest wlax, to which a purist would say it aint even close to the way the game was intended to be played. I like the college game the best, there are a lot of elements involved there and the athletes are really good. The rules changes were the best thing to happen to wlax in the last 100 years....a real gamechanger.
None of that is to say I don't like this UA league, that is another level of lacrosse and a doubled edged sword too. The competition, level of play, and skill set display is just phenomenal, some might say incredible. The structure of the league detracts absolutely zero from the pleasure I get watching these gals play, I thoroughly enjoyed last season, very much looking forward to this season.
The dilemma is the safety element, it's hard to watch without thinking it would be a good idea if these gals wore a little bit of protective equipment, gets a little rough and the shooting is on the high powered side. Of course, all of this moves it ever closer to mlax (wish I could remember that fantastic word you gave us, Sc(1) ), the double edge.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

You mean MVP.
No, champion.
Why would you hope for this league to go "belly up" ?? Do you realize that Athlete's Unlimited is a league financially backed by Kevin Durant, Abby Wambach and other big time professional athletes? If you are looking for an extension of the college game, you are not going to find it here. This is a professional league. It's about the quality of the lacrosse, not winning a championship. This is an exciting concept, it got a tremendous reception last year from the players involved and many fans. Enjoy it for what it's worth!

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:12 pm

You mean MVP.
No, champion.
Why would you hope for this league to go "belly up" ?? Do you realize that Athlete's Unlimited is a league financially backed by Kevin Durant, Abby Wambach and other big time professional athletes? If you are looking for an extension of the college game, you are not going to find it here. This is a professional league. It's about the quality of the lacrosse, not winning a championship. This is an exciting concept, it got a tremendous reception last year from the players involved and many fans. Enjoy it for what it's worth!

Joe
I want a league like this to succeed:

The only reason this league (WPLL) in the clip didn't work was lack of funds. If the WPLL had enough financial backing they might still be plugging away. (Fun interview with Messinger at the end).

I need standings, playoffs, a championship game to crown the league champion. What AU does is so far from any of that. I can't enjoy a series of exhibitions with no structure. At the end of the season--what does any of it mean? What did it count for? Sure it's fun to see great players competing, but if there is no context to what they're doing--so what? I can't enjoy it. I tried. There are no teams--they get chosen for sides with each new week. The draft means less than nothing. As wlaxphan20 pointed out--they choose up sides each week so what does it matter where you go in the draft? It's a joke to me. A mess. This is the best we can do? I'd rather there be no league than this mutation. That's why I hope it goes belly up, so that a legitimate league (not to cross sports here--but...) like the WNBA replaces it.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:58 pm
The only reason this league (WPLL) in the clip didn't work was lack of funds. If the WPLL had enough financial backing they might still be plugging away. (Fun interview with Messinger at the end).

I need standings, playoffs, a championship game to crown the league champion. What AU does is so far from any of that. I can't enjoy a series of exhibitions with no structure. At the end of the season--what does any of it mean? What did it count for? Sure it's fun to see great players competing, but if there is no context to what they're doing--so what? I can't enjoy it. I tried. There are no teams--they get chosen for sides with each new week. The draft means less than nothing. As wlaxphan20 pointed out--they choose up sides each week so what does it matter where you go in the draft? It's a joke to me. A mess. This is the best we can do? I'd rather there be no league than this mutation. That's why I hope it goes belly up, so that a legitimate league (not to cross sports here--but...) like the WNBA replaces it.
Well, you certainly have your reasons.

I will watch this league, just like I watch rec. programs, B/G Clubs, B/G HS, Showcases, College M/W. It is the beautiful game. Sorry that they haven't created your perfect idea of a league, but pull out your checkbook and start a movement. I'll watch your league when it is ready...until then, I appreciate the ability to watch Lacrosse in the summer whether it is PLL, AU, World games' sixes, whatever. I have doubts about the longevity of all the AU leagues (softball, basketball, volleyball?) but I certainly wouldn't want them to fail/go belly up. JMO and I know :oops: it is different than yours ;)
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:53 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:58 pm

Well, you certainly have your reasons.

I will watch this league, just like I watch rec. programs, B/G Clubs, B/G HS, Showcases, College M/W. It is the beautiful game. Sorry that they haven't created your perfect idea of a league, but pull out your checkbook and start a movement. I'll watch your league when it is ready...until then, I appreciate the ability to watch Lacrosse in the summer whether it is PLL, AU, World games' sixes, whatever. I have doubts about the longevity of all the AU leagues (softball, basketball, volleyball?) but I certainly wouldn't want them to fail/go belly up. JMO and I know :oops: it is different than yours ;)
+1. Sixes? That one has to grow on me......a TON.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

It interests me to see all these incredibly talented players on the field together with limited (? if any?) practice time together. Very few sets run, just trying to mesh skillsets and create chemistry, week-in and week-out. It's fun to see how players build teams/units in the draft and how their vision is realized on the field, whether successfully or not. IMO it creates an environment that allows individual skillsets to be showcased throughout the season in a way that the more choreographed college game does not. That said, I'd argue that college teams do a better job of maximizing TEAM potential, for obvious reasons. AU makes for a less pure product, but it's both extremely friendly to the casual fan and compelling for people who are familiar with the game and the players. If nothing else, it's a lot of fun.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”