D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins Coach Search

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

mississippislinger wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm Im looking for comment from alumni

JHU is located in Baltimore .

Look at the sports directory.

JHU offers 18 sports in total for men and women and NOT ONE head coach is black.

Even further, it appears the number of head and assistant coaches total approximately FIFTY (50) yet there is only ONE (1) black assistant coach (who assists in track) . There are N0 BLACK assistant coaches in either football ,basketball or any other that I see listed beyond that one track asssistant.

Doesn't seem right to me, does it seem right to alum who post here?

Think it fair for me to say that there is lack of diversity in coaching of those 18 JHU sports .

The list of candidates for the JHU lacrosse job should have included a minority if it had not.

Perhaps a connected alum should bring this to Daniels attention

I see where you are coming from, but this is not a Hopkins only issue. The sport itself just does not have participation from minorities in percentages that we are used to in other sports. There are many great minority players like Kyle Harrison, Trevor Baptiste, and Myles Jones but none of them are ready to hang up the cleats because they produce great numbers in the pros. Sure maybe a lower level of coaching like JUCO or high school coaching could work for them but since theyre productive in the league, a time consuming head coaching job is not yet ideal. There may be a couple guys who have great reputations that are coaching at high schools or other college programs but the amount of minority coaches is greatly less than white coaches. Hopkins lacrosse, like every other program, is going to choose the person that they think will bring them success, not choose someone based on ethnicity. Should there be ways to include more people to the game? yes, of course! But I do not think we should scrutinize their decision making process.

I am also not an alumni, just a fan of the sport.
Nat St. Laurent is coaching D3 and has a nice resume. Whatever became of Errol Wilson at Lehigh?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm Yeah but there's a difference between coaching at an IVY league school and Syracuse right???
Yes. IQ.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Thor1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:33 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:04 pm
swf wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 am
Was any candidate of a minority interviewed?
How about a cisgender female?
Asking a serious question

Was someone like Sowell asked if he had any interest in interviewing , was Kyle Harrison asked if he would want to be a candidate?

Where is Doc Barrister on this
Sowell's team at Navy disliked him. I don't care what race or gender he is, he will not be considered for a big program. He is looking good in his current role as assistant coach at Gilman
Source? I guess now it's important that players "like" the coach. Respect yes, like...who cares? Petro wasn't exactly warm and fuzzy yet got results.
If JHU is looking for a kinder/gentler coach, Sowell fits that bill--and he has taken 3 schools to the NCAA. Nadelen would seem to be the answer for JHU currently. Don't really see how PM's coaching career puts him in the conversation? Sowell also withdrew from consideration at Harvard last year.
Last edited by FMUBart on Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:39 pmWhatever became of Errol Wilson at Lehigh?
http://jamaicalacrosse.org/staff/errol-wilson/
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm Yeah but there's a difference between coaching at an IVY league school and Syracuse right???
Yes. IQ.
Is Cornell an Ivy?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:43 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Yes. IQ.
Is Cornell an Ivy?
Part of it...(just joking my Big Red friends).
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Sure there is. Bill Tierney graduated from Cortland and coached at Princeton.
Andy Shay went graduated from LeMoyne and coached at Yale.
Peter Milliman went to Gettysburg and coaches at Cornell.
Jeff Tambroni graduated from Hobart and coached at Cornell.
Richie Moran graduated from Maryland and coached at Cornell.

All of the great coaches from the Ivy League have one thing in common...they didn't attend Ivy League Universities.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm Don't really see how PM's coaching career puts him in the conversation?
I have no idea if Milliman is still in the mix but he's a worthy candidate IMO—took over a team and immediately won 12 games and made the NCAA quarterfinals. Has a solid reputation and by all accounts is an excellent recruiter. He's youngish and would bring a different energy from the last guy. As others have said, coaching at a place like Cornell is not so different from Hopkins from an academic and history standpoint. They may not be as rabid but Cornell has a pretty big alumni presence. Plus the team was 5-0 and looking like a top 3 squad when the season was cut short. He wouldn't be #1 on my list but I'd be happy with the selection and think he could do a good job. Not much if any connection to the Baltimore lacrosse scene but maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing if the school is looking to start a new chapter. That said I would still prefer Nads. I think he's probably the best "young" coach in the country.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:49 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm Don't really see how PM's coaching career puts him in the conversation?
I have no idea if Milliman is still in the mix but he's a worthy candidate IMO—took over a team and immediately won 12 games and made the NCAA quarterfinals. Has a solid reputation and by all accounts is an excellent recruiter. He's youngish and would bring a different energy from the last guy. As others have said, coaching at a place like Cornell is not so different from Hopkins from an academic and history standpoint. They may not be as rabid but Cornell has a pretty big alumni presence. Plus the team was 5-0 and looking like a top 3 squad when the season was cut short. He wouldn't be #1 on my list but I'd be happy with the selection and think he could do a good job. Not much if any connection to the Baltimore lacrosse scene but maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing if the school is looking to start a new chapter. That said I would still prefer Nads. I think he's probably the best "young" coach in the country.
Guess I'm from Missouri; I'd like to see him succeed with more than one class of athletes.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

mississippislinger wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:15 pm
stupefied wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 pm Im looking for comment from alumni

JHU is located in Baltimore .

Look at the sports directory.

JHU offers 18 sports in total for men and women and NOT ONE head coach is black.

Even further, it appears the number of head and assistant coaches total approximately FIFTY (50) yet there is only ONE (1) black assistant coach (who assists in track) . There are N0 BLACK assistant coaches in either football ,basketball or any other that I see listed beyond that one track asssistant.

Doesn't seem right to me, does it seem right to alum who post here?

Think it fair for me to say that there is lack of diversity in coaching of those 18 JHU sports .

The list of candidates for the JHU lacrosse job should have included a minority if it had not.

Perhaps a connected alum should bring this to Daniels attention

I see where you are coming from, but this is not a Hopkins only issue. The sport itself just does not have participation from minorities in percentages that we are used to in other sports. There are many great minority players like Kyle Harrison, Trevor Baptiste, and Myles Jones but none of them are ready to hang up the cleats because they produce great numbers in the pros. Sure maybe a lower level of coaching like JUCO or high school coaching could work for them but since theyre productive in the league, a time consuming head coaching job is not yet ideal. There may be a couple guys who have great reputations that are coaching at high schools or other college programs but the amount of minority coaches is greatly less than white coaches. Hopkins lacrosse, like every other program, is going to choose the person that they think will bring them success, not choose someone based on ethnicity. Should there be ways to include more people to the game? yes, of course! But I do not think we should scrutinize their decision making process.

I am also not an alumni, just a fan of the sport.
[/quot

Thank you for reply. Hopefully get a few responses from their alumni as well.

Goes beyond lax. JHU offers 18 sports, by my count off directory only one assistant black coach amongst all their 50 coaches. I would imagine that there are plenty of qualified black coaches in several of the sports they offer.

One would think that there would be an awareness of such and a conscious effort made to at least to interview a person of color for any coaching position that opens up. I would have hoped that a qualified coach such a Sowell would at a minimum have been given the opportunity to interview.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:49 pm
Sure there is. Bill Tierney graduated from Cortland and coached at Princeton.
Andy Shay went graduated from LeMoyne and coached at Yale.
Peter Milliman went to Gettysburg and coaches at Cornell.
Jeff Tambroni graduated from Hobart and coached at Cornell.
Richie Moran graduated from Maryland and coached at Cornell.

All of the great coaches from the Ivy League have one thing in common...they didn't attend Ivy League Universities.
And none of them went to Cuse!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

laxpert wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:34 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:34 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:04 pm Per @college_crosse twitter, it's down to Nads and Milliman. Never would have guess Milliman, but so it goes.
color me shocked if milliman is doing this for anything more than leverage.
So Milliman played at G'burg for 3 years until 2001. Noticing it says he graduated from SUNY in 2012.
Is SUNY his second undergrad degree or did he leave g'burg and finish up there? Shouldn't disqualify, just curious.
My guess is nearly all head coaching positions require a Bachelors and PM used the SUNY Empire State College online program to fulfill this requirement. It's an accredited program and shouldn't be confused with Empire State University mentioned in Marvel Comics.
I think there is a gap between John Deskos playing days and his completion of degree requirements at SU.
Out of curiosity, why didn't he graduate from Gburg after being there for most of his playing career?
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Was the lawsuit filed against Cornell and Milliman by a woman struck in the head by a lacrosse ball ever settled?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:22 pm Was the lawsuit filed against Cornell and Milliman by a woman struck in the head by a lacrosse ball ever settled?
https://cornellsun.com/2019/11/24/corne ... egligence/
Gloria and Brian Abrams — residents of Orange County, California — visited Cornell on Aug. 19, 2017. Court documents show that while standing in the parking lot adjacent to Schoellkopf Field — where the lacrosse team practices — Gloria Abrams was hit by a lacrosse ball. The Abrams have filed suit two years after the incident.

It is unclear why Brian and Gloria Abrams were visiting the University at the time. In a phone call with The Sun, Andrew Siegel — the attorney representing Brian and Gloria Abrams — stated that the Abrams have a child attending Cornell.

Outside of that, Siegel could not clarify any additional details, saying that “this is of a too personal nature for the family.”

The suit, filed on Nov. 14 in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, alleges that Milliman and the University committed negligence because they failed to “erect the proper safety nets, barricades, and/or other devices to prevent lacrosse balls from leaving the subject playing field.”

As a result of this incident, Gloria Abrams “was caused to sustain serious injuries and to have suffered pain, shock and mental anguish.” The suit continued, saying these injuries and effects “will be permanent” and will render Abrams “unable to perform normal activities and duties and has sustained a resultant loss therefrom.” The suit does not describe the exact injuries or where the lacrosse ball struck Gloria Abrams.

A second cause of action on behalf of Brian Abrams stated that the accident has deprived him of “the services, societies, companionship and consortium of his said spouse.” The suit states that these damages exceed the jurisdictional limits of all lower courts.
I'm sorry. 2 years later the suit was filed.

The details in the story- :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well he's right that losing the "consortium of your wife" is indeed costly!

Cornell denying all of the claims.

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef ... N3uOiANw==
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Wow,I didn't realize the timeline on the events. Maybe I can squeeze "consortium" into next year's anniversary card.

I would be very surprised if a hiring firm did not include any minority candidates. I've thought Sowell would be on the list from the get-go. But, was even on the list for the Hampton job? He was let go from Navy in May and Hampton hired Devoe in August.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

As I understand it, Navy was still paying Ricky this spring. Not sure if he's been looking. CLose to some MIAA coaches. Heard the Gilman gig was just to scratch that coaching fire.
Not sure what Hampton pays or if Sowell and his family were interested in the gig or relocating at that time.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

Nads is the man
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Thor1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:14 pmNads is the man
Link?

White smoke?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

swf wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:55 am
Was any candidate of a minority interviewed?
How about a cisgender female?
A friend of mine said we would get a tired old lesbian.

Not sure about her haircut.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”