Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Tdemling6

Re: Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

Post by Tdemling6 »

Looks like Navy has their OC while Richmond has also hired an assistant as well.

Code: Select all

https://lacrossebucket.com/2019/06/28/navy-and-richmond-hire-assistants/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Chips O'Toole wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:11 amParticularly big chuckle at the notion that most of the recruiting events are over. I'm not sure what folks thought were the major recruiting events, but I suspect they don't realize that the top ones are upcoming.

It's also puzzling that anyone thinks that kids are committing right now...anywhere...other than the last few rising seniors. The 2020 class is virtually done in the Ivies, and have been done since last fall. My hunch would be that Wojcik's 2020 class was already solid. Sure, there's a little bit of movement throughout the year, and can even be a little bit the summer and early fall pre actual ED admission applications, but if someone in that class can be persuaded to switch to Harvard they have plenty of time to do so.

The 2021 class can't be spoken to yet. So, zero kids have locked in commitments. And none of these coaches being discussed are unaware of who the top targets are for that class, as well as the rising potentials.
All correct, and I know you are much more knowledgeable than I -- and most everyone -- on this. And yes, there are several big events left this summer. My point was that having no one representing Harvard at Showtime, Blackcard, Crabfeast, Big 4, Sweetlax, and probably Naptown and the other events next weekend, just doesn't strike me as optimal. All of their conference foes were at those events evaluating 2021s. And as I mentioned, IL shows Harvard as having THREE 2020 commits, but you obviously have inside info on some still unpublicized commits. If they do have a full 2020 class already locked up by Wojcic, then they will be fine. You're certainly right that their eventual coach will show up on day 1 with a robust set of evaluations of 2021s to work with come September.
I think it's highly likely that the coach they will select was at most of those tourneys evaluating 2021's and with an eye on 2020's too, if a NESCAC coach. On announced commitments, Harvard strongly discourages its recruits from publishing their commitment anywhere, at least not until they get a letter from Admissions.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The reality, unfortunately, is that the Harvard position is a star-crossed assignment. Between off field sensitivities, a new university president, major donor pressure and a ramped up Ivy League, it represents a significant career risk.

I'm sure Harvard will land a capable candidate, but others will likely demure.
GBMan

Post by GBMan »

faircornell wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:57 am The reality, unfortunately, is that the Harvard position is a star-crossed assignment. Between off field sensitivities, a new university president, major donor pressure and a ramped up Ivy League, it represents a significant career risk.

These are good reasons for a guy like Kirwan to stay right where he is for now. And also anyone else with a current secure position.
Sowell, on other hand, is a man without a job...doesn't seem like RS has much to lose here. The question is: does Harvard want him or someone else?
old salt

Post by old salt »

GBMan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:29 am
faircornell wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:57 am The reality, unfortunately, is that the Harvard position is a star-crossed assignment. Between off field sensitivities, a new university president, major donor pressure and a ramped up Ivy League, it represents a significant career risk.

Sowell, on other hand, is a man without a job...doesn't seem like RS has much to lose here.
Harvard had 7 Canadians on their 2019 ice hockey roster. .:idea:.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

College Crosse twitter

Harvard is negotiating with Notre Dame assistant Gerry Byrne to make him the Crimson's head coach, multiple sources tell @College_Crosse. Nothing is final, but both sides are close enough where they think something could work. Lehigh's Kevin Cassese is still in the mix.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not sure why you'd think it a greater career risk (or opportunity) than any of the other Ivies that have had turnover. Aren't those factors pretty similar to other Ivies? Are "off-field" sensitivities greater at Harvard than Yale or Brown or Princeton? Are expectations or donor pressures higher than at, say, Cornell?

They're all facing "a ramped up Ivy League".

Seems to me HU represents a tremendous opportunity, just like Brown, PU, etc. Right guy could have a great run, either a Shay-like opportunity (certainly possible with HU's alumni base) or a step to a higher pay situation.

That said, I'm rooting for Dartmouth to break through, so fine with me if HU doesn't do so! :)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:57 pm ... Are "off-field" sensitivities greater at Harvard than Yale or Brown or Princeton? Are expectations or donor pressures higher than at, say, Cornell?

Seems to me HU represents a tremendous opportunity, just like Brown, PU, etc. Right guy could have a great run, either a Shay-like opportunity (certainly possible with HU's alumni base) or a step to a higher pay situation.

That said, I'm rooting for Dartmouth to break through, so fine with me if HU doesn't do so! :)
Hmmm, "Shay-like opportunity...." Well, it was the opportunity plus the patience: in Shay's first season, 2004, Yale were 1-5 in the Ivy, 6-8 overall. In 2008, Yale went 0-6 in the Ivy. Not until Shay's 7th season did Yale have a winning record both overall and in the league. Yale's first NCCA tourney win under Shay came in his 10th season, 2013, which was his only NCAA tourney win until that magical 2018 run. That being said, I agree with you, MDlaxfan76, that Harvard is a tremendous opportunity... and I'd rather see Dartmouth (or Columbia, for that matter, if it ever gets a team) break through than HU.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Not sure why you'd think it a greater career risk (or opportunity) than any of the other Ivies that have had turnover. Aren't those factors pretty similar to other Ivies? Are "off-field" sensitivities greater at Harvard than Yale or Brown or Princeton? Are expectations or donor pressures higher than at, say, Cornell?

MD: I will send a PM. I'd prefer to be restrained on this thread. I agree that for the right guy it is a tremendous opportunity.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Byrne to Harvard.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... oach/54951

Our long national nightmare is finally over
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Looks like Harvard just got serious about lacrosse.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

If part of the deal is an understanding on the AI, then watch out indeed.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Remarkable hire for Harvard. I’m suprised they were able to pry him away. Byrne has been qualified for 10+ years.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Very serious hire...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:57 pm ... Are "off-field" sensitivities greater at Harvard than Yale or Brown or Princeton? Are expectations or donor pressures higher than at, say, Cornell?

Hmmm, "Shay-like opportunity...." Well, it was the opportunity plus the patience: in Shay's first season, 2004, Yale were 1-5 in the Ivy, 6-8 overall. In 2008, Yale went 0-6 in the Ivy. Not until Shay's 7th season did Yale have a winning record both overall and in the league. Yale's first NCCA tourney win under Shay came in his 10th season, 2013, which was his only NCAA tourney win until that magical 2018 run. That being said, I agree with you, MDlaxfan76, that Harvard is a tremendous opportunity... and I'd rather see Dartmouth (or Columbia, for that matter, if it ever gets a team) break through than HU.
By Shay-like opportunity, I meant the degree of financial support, and ultimately his personal pay check and the commitment to him. Not many Ivy coaches in the last few decades who have terrific success have stuck at the Ivy much beyond that success. Money was the biggest issue.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Definetly money, but, equally or closely is working within the Ivy League and school's admission process. Despite what some say, not any player can get accepted, not any player can get through the rigour of the academics, and the Ivies don't provide athletes with added academic support. That makes the coach's job that much harder. Taking both into account, numerous coaches have chosen to move on usually to big conference schools.
Lux et veritas
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Congratulations to Coach Byrne and Harvard!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Whew ! - was terrified that harvard was going to hire Amherst's (by way of Brown) Jon Thompson - intense, uber competitive, committed, smart, relates well to the kids, successful, now mature, etc.

He would have been the Ivy's next Andy Shay......

Byrne will do a nice job but not the threat to the League Thompson would have been.....

thanks AD Scalise......

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”