2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: 2020 Elections - CoronaPause

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 pm yes, and certainly a fair question to ask.

Right now, I don't believe the Reade allegation.
But I'm open to the possibility.
If she had contemporaneous back-up, if there were other women with similar descriptions of behavior, etc, it would add weight to that possibility.

Again, like with Kav, whether it has some basis in truth or not, I look at the years of behavior and service since then and look at the total context. In Kav's case, I saw some likely truth, under the influence, but then many years of far different behavior with women. That matters.

I didn't get a vote on whether Kavanaugh should be elevated to the Supreme Court. Had I had such a vote, I'd have said, sorry go back and find another candidate. I don't see someone with the right sense of personal accountability and temperament to be put in that lifelong job. But that doesn't mean he's a bad person today, a great husband, dad, and jurist. Just that the bar can be higher still. At the time I said that all he needed to do for my support would have been to say, yes, in those early days of my life, I drank way too much, with some frequency. I really don't remember this happening, and it horrifies me that it is nevertheless possible. If I hurt Ms Ford or anyone else in that period of my life I am very, very sorry. But I have endeavored in my adult life to treat women with respect, etc, etc. Simple, IMO.

On POTUS, we'll have a choice.
Even if I believed the allegation about Biden to have a kernel of truth ala my view of Kav, it's not remotely akin to Trump's record in this arena.
I'm sure we both remember back in the olden days when a SCOTUS nominee was any sitting presidents prerogative? Those days are gone. The new normal is every SCOTUS nominee will now ignite WWIII. The new normal is to dig as far back into the nominees background and find any dirt their is. Even if the other side has to lie, cheat or steal to discredit someone they don't like thy will be done. I still remember those protesters standing in front of the Supreme Court building. They all conveniently brought multiple signs on hand to disparage who ever Trump would nominate. They were already to discredit who ever the pick was without even knowing who the pick would be. Is that the way the process should be? Shame and discredit before the candidate has had their day. Hell both parties can play the Merrick Garland game under the new rules, don't even let the nominee have an up or down vote.

Kavanaugh was attacked on this forum viciously for being a liar and sexually assaulting a woman. His demeanor in defending himself was also harshly criticized. What should you do and how should you respond to such accusations? I guess the answer to that is to sit on your hands and meekly defend yourself. i would respond the same way. How would you respond to such allegations MD if you were on national TV and your family was watching? I bet you might get angry as well. You might even respond indignantly to the line of questioning if you knew you did not do it. The new normal for SCOTUS nominations are no longer called hearings. We might better off be calling them mini inquisitions. There has to be a middle ground between finding the truth and just dragging someone through the mud.
Yes, most of the time Presidents nominated non-controversial judges. You might be surprised however by the number of withdrawn or rejected nominations throughout history. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/nomi ... resent.htm

Yes, the Merrick Garland fiasco represents a new low. At this point, what McConnell appears to have established is that if the President doesn't have his party in power in the Senate no guarantee of even a review much less a vote.

I believe I answered exactly what Kavanaugh should have done, what I would have done had I been faced with the situation of such an accusation today and had his drinking issues back then. Certainly not 'meekly defend'. It's a sign of strength and confidence, not weakness to be able to admit errors in one's life and remorse. I don't recall if I called him a liar but I felt he had multiple moments when he did not tell the whole truth and knew it. I have no desire to re-litigate it, but how he handled the hearing bothered me more than that he could have done something stupid and awful when drunk...maybe...
ggait

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:54 pm
Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:31 pm Draft the best available athlete on the board—Stacy Abrams. Watch her windmill dunk on The Pence.
You must enjoy losing.
I've seen some pretty persuasive analysis that the strongest Trump killer ticket is Biden/Harris or Biden/Abrams. A big reason why the Blue Wall crumbled in 2016 is because AA voters in Philly, Detroit and Milwaukee did not turn out for Hillary. Biden already has strong appeal to the blue collar midwest demos. So Klobuchar, according to these analyses, is sub-optimal for beating Trump. You know the Biden folks are market testing this stuff like crazy.

Harris and Abrams also could put NC and GA in play in a way that Amy could not.

But at the end of the day, Biden's VP (or even Biden himself) probably not going to be the difference maker. It will be a referendum on Trump and most have already long since made up their minds on that.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:58 pm Not to mention chirping every time the market is up a nickel as if there’s some perfect linear relationship to global events and markets.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nese-study
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

ggait wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:52 pm
Daou says Biden should withdraw.
I think Daou is the brother from another of Vernon Jones. You know that GA Dem legislator who endorsed Trump. Which endorsement Petey told us a week or so ago previously informed us was an event that would doom Joe. FYI, the obscure Jones promptly resigned from the Dem party after endorsing Trump. :roll:

According to Petey, Joe is three times dead: (i) obscure Vernon Jones, (ii) some other obscure guy named Daou, and (iii) Joe's senility. Man it is going to be a slaughter in November!!

Presumably Joe's endorsement from that obscure guy named Obama will be of no help at all.

Petey Brown -- GOAT for trolling + crying wolf. : )
And obscure the fact that right wing media didn't cover Reade either......and waited until a Saturday weeks after Reades story popped up again, when no one is reading, to go all in on coverage.

Doesn't matter. Millions of FoxNation voters buy the BS that the media is leftist.

Meanwhile? Actual, real lefty publications are all over this story. And FoxNews and the rest of the MSM don't care about the Biden story because of a "slightly" more important news event that occurred this last month. :roll:

What a scandal! Media conspiring to cover the worst pandemic in 100 years. Those BASTARDS!! :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

ggait wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:01 pm
Trinity wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:31 pm Draft the best available athlete on the board—Stacy Abrams. Watch her windmill dunk on The Pence.
You must enjoy losing.
I've seen some pretty persuasive analysis that the strongest Trump killer ticket is Biden/Harris or Biden/Abrams. A big reason why the Blue Wall crumbled in 2016 is because AA voters in Philly, Detroit and Milwaukee did not turn out for Hillary. Biden already has strong appeal to the blue collar midwest demos. So Klobuchar, according to these analyses, is sub-optimal for beating Trump. You know the Biden folks are market testing this stuff like crazy.

But at the end of the day, Biden's VP (or even Biden himself) probably not going to be the difference maker. It will be a referendum on Trump and most have already long since made up their minds on that.
It's critical that Biden's VP has the national security chops to step in from day 1. Amy's the most qualified in that regard. Abrams has no relevant experience. Kamala's relevant experience is limited to hectoring Generals & DoD officials in Senate hearings.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:08 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:17 pm yes, and certainly a fair question to ask.

Right now, I don't believe the Reade allegation.
But I'm open to the possibility.
If she had contemporaneous back-up, if there were other women with similar descriptions of behavior, etc, it would add weight to that possibility.

Again, like with Kav, whether it has some basis in truth or not, I look at the years of behavior and service since then and look at the total context. In Kav's case, I saw some likely truth, under the influence, but then many years of far different behavior with women. That matters.

I didn't get a vote on whether Kavanaugh should be elevated to the Supreme Court. Had I had such a vote, I'd have said, sorry go back and find another candidate. I don't see someone with the right sense of personal accountability and temperament to be put in that lifelong job. But that doesn't mean he's a bad person today, a great husband, dad, and jurist. Just that the bar can be higher still. At the time I said that all he needed to do for my support would have been to say, yes, in those early days of my life, I drank way too much, with some frequency. I really don't remember this happening, and it horrifies me that it is nevertheless possible. If I hurt Ms Ford or anyone else in that period of my life I am very, very sorry. But I have endeavored in my adult life to treat women with respect, etc, etc. Simple, IMO.

On POTUS, we'll have a choice.
Even if I believed the allegation about Biden to have a kernel of truth ala my view of Kav, it's not remotely akin to Trump's record in this arena.
I'm sure we both remember back in the olden days when a SCOTUS nominee was any sitting presidents prerogative? Those days are gone. The new normal is every SCOTUS nominee will now ignite WWIII. The new normal is to dig as far back into the nominees background and find any dirt their is. Even if the other side has to lie, cheat or steal to discredit someone they don't like thy will be done. I still remember those protesters standing in front of the Supreme Court building. They all conveniently brought multiple signs on hand to disparage who ever Trump would nominate. They were already to discredit who ever the pick was without even knowing who the pick would be. Is that the way the process should be? Shame and discredit before the candidate has had their day. Hell both parties can play the Merrick Garland game under the new rules, don't even let the nominee have an up or down vote.

Kavanaugh was attacked on this forum viciously for being a liar and sexually assaulting a woman. His demeanor in defending himself was also harshly criticized. What should you do and how should you respond to such accusations? I guess the answer to that is to sit on your hands and meekly defend yourself. i would respond the same way. How would you respond to such allegations MD if you were on national TV and your family was watching? I bet you might get angry as well. You might even respond indignantly to the line of questioning if you knew you did not do it. The new normal for SCOTUS nominations are no longer called hearings. We might better off be calling them mini inquisitions. There has to be a middle ground between finding the truth and just dragging someone through the mud.
Yes, most of the time Presidents nominated non-controversial judges. You might be surprised however by the number of withdrawn or rejected nominations throughout history. https://www.senate.gov/legislative/nomi ... resent.htm

Yes, the Merrick Garland fiasco represents a new low. At this point, what McConnell appears to have established is that if the President doesn't have his party in power in the Senate no guarantee of even a review much less a vote.

I believe I answered exactly what Kavanaugh should have done, what I would have done had I been faced with the situation of such an accusation today and had his drinking issues back then. Certainly not 'meekly defend'. It's a sign of strength and confidence, not weakness to be able to admit errors in one's life and remorse. I don't recall if I called him a liar but I felt he had multiple moments when he did not tell the whole truth and knew it. I have no desire to re-litigate it, but how he handled the hearing bothered me more than that he could have done something stupid and awful when drunk...maybe...
I understand that it should not be relitigated over and over. I think Kavanaugh admitted as a yute he drank too much. You did, I did probably most of us on this forum did. The impression that was being labeled on him was he was a stumbling, bumbling blackout drinker. He denied that. Whatever the truth was he has worked very hard at his craft. If ALL of us were to be judged on our behavior 30 or 40 years ago, alot of us here would still be apologizing for ourselves. With Kavanaugh time will tell. He is a rookie still learning the ropes. I do believe he was qualified for the position based on his body of work over several decades. There is much criticism he is too far right wing to sit on the SCOTUS. Then by what criteria is a candidate too far to the left? That is a trick question. Our FLP friends here will never admit to any judge being too far to the left. ;)
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:01 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:58 pm Not to mention chirping every time the market is up a nickel as if there’s some perfect linear relationship to global events and markets.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nese-study
Uh oh. What say ye, Pete? Are you a man or a mouse?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:25 pm
You must enjoy losing.

It's critical that Biden's VP has the national security chops to step in from day 1. Amy's the most qualified in that regard. Abrams has no relevant experience. Kamala's relevant experience is limited to hectoring Generals & DoD officials in Senate hearings.
Dunno, does Trump or Pence have any "national security chops"?...nope. Idiots. Still.

That said, I quite agree that one wants a VP who has the capability to step into the role in a heartbeat (though no one is truly ready).

I also think that a President should be super comfortable with the working relationship.

I think Amy doesn't bring some of the dynamics of Abrams or Harris in terms of turning out AA vote, but she's far more in Biden's lane in terms of policy and she'd be a very practical ally in working Congress...and, yes, she has better foreign policy chops.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:40 pm
You must enjoy losing.

Dunno, does Trump or Pence have any "national security chops"?...nope. Idiots. Still.

That said, I quite agree that one wants a VP who has the capability to step into the role in a heartbeat (though no one is truly ready).

I also think that a President should be super comfortable with the working relationship.

I think Amy doesn't bring some of the dynamics of Abrams or Harris in terms of turning out AA vote, but she's far more in Biden's lane in terms of policy and she'd be a very practical ally in working Congress...and, yes, she has better foreign policy chops.
You b!tch & whine non-stop about Trump & Pence, then default to them as the "good enough" standard for their replacements. .:lol:.
I thought you wanted something better. You are apparently incapable of making a post without a TDS diversion.
#TDStourettes

Pence served multiple terms on the House Foreign Affairs & International Relations Committees.
Like any Gov, he commanded his state's National Guard.
What are your specific complaints about his performance as VP in National Security affairs ?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:40 pm
You must enjoy losing.

You b!tch & whine non-stop about Trump & Pence, then default to them as the "good enough" standard for their replacements. .:lol:.
I thought you wanted something better. You are apparently incapable of making a post without a TDS diversion.

Pence served multiple terms on the House Foreign Affairs & International Relations Committees.
Like any Gov, he commanded his state's National Guard.
What are your specific complaints about his performance as VP in National Security affairs ?
Interesting. You actually think Pence has foreign policy chops???
I see your 'basis', but I find him such a kowtowing idiot I must be missing where he's shown any recognition of world affairs other than repeating whatever Trump has just said.
I will, however, accept the notion that he'd be less offensive on the world stage than Trump. Who would not? As you say, that's too low a bar.

My objection was to your saying it is "critical" that the VP have those chops. That was you not me. So, the relevant question then becomes whether you think a POTUS should have such 'chops'. How strong does that pair's need to be in aggregate?

I then agreed with you that it's a good thing to have foreign policy chops. Obviously.
Heck, I'd like Presidents and VP's to be as competent and capable as possible, balancing one another as necessary as well.
And that, of course, includes in foreign policy and diplomacy.

In this particular pairing you'd certainly have an unusually well prepared POTUS for the world stage, immediately credible and knowledgeable. I'd want a VP who is smart and eager to learn, if not highly experienced on the world stage. Experience would be a plus for sure. Amy's my top choice for a bunch of reasons. Just not the only choice.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:17 pm In this particular pairing you'd certainly have an unusually well prepared POTUS for the world stage, immediately credible and knowledgeable. I'd want a VP who is smart and eager to learn, if not highly experienced on the world stage. Experience would be a plus for sure. Amy's my top choice for a bunch of reasons. Just not the only choice.
Biden would be good for further building business ties with China.
#eatmorebats
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:17 pm In this particular pairing you'd certainly have an unusually well prepared POTUS for the world stage, immediately credible and knowledgeable. I'd want a VP who is smart and eager to learn, if not highly experienced on the world stage. Experience would be a plus for sure. Amy's my top choice for a bunch of reasons. Just not the only choice.
#eatmorebats
:roll:
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:31 pm
#eatmorebats
🦇🤡
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I still say Ozzy Osborne for VP. He’s white and the same age cohort and probably more with it than our president or Biden.

And he loves the bats!
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

You must enjoy losing.

I’d love to see that “analysis”! :lol:

Biden has all of one path to victory (assuming he makes it), and that’s Klobuchar or (god forbid) Hillary Clinton. Anyone else will be a total disaster for Dems.

Btw, it’s no guarantee Joe survives the sexual assault allegations. If one more woman is waiting in the wings, even if it’s total bs concocted by Roger Stone himself, I don’t see Joe surviving. Democrats did that to Kavanaugh; let’s see if R’s steal the playbook.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

idiocy prevails
Typical Lax Dad

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:18 pm
You must enjoy losing.

Biden has all of one path to victory (assuming he makes it), and that’s Klobuchar or (god forbid) Hillary Clinton. Anyone else will be a total disaster for Dems.

Btw, it’s no guarantee Joe survives the sexual assault allegations. If one more woman is waiting in the wings, even if it’s total bs concocted by Roger Stone himself, I don’t see Joe surviving. Democrats did that to Kavanaugh; let’s see if R’s steal the playbook.
# grabbing women by the p#ssy doesn’t matter to voters.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:22 pm
You must enjoy losing.

If Trump claimed to be a choirboy, you’d be on to something.

Biden: “believe ALL women”. Except Tara?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm
You must enjoy losing.

Not actually his quote, but he's indeed said that women who come forward should be taken seriously, with respect.
Anyone disagree?
Yet, frequently doesn't happen, certainly pre #METOO

Obviously that does not make all allegations true.

And it's immensely hypocritical to compare the likelihood of this to be true in light of the acceptance of numerous angry denials by Trump. Who has been accused by more than 15 women. Yet, caught on tape admitting this behavior specifically.

Or does being a serial assaulter of women matter not at all?

By the way, 'doesn't claim to be a choirboy' has a different meaning these days, more likely the victim.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm
You must enjoy losing.

Not actually his quote, but he's indeed said that women who come forward should be taken seriously, with respect.
Anyone disagree?
Yet, frequently doesn't happen, certainly pre #METOO

Obviously that does not make all allegations true.

And it's immensely hypocritical to compare the likelihood of this to be true in light of the acceptance of numerous angry denials by Trump. Who has been accused by more than 15 women. Yet, caught on tape admitting this behavior specifically.

Or does being a serial assaulter of women matter not at all?

By the way, 'doesn't claim to be a choirboy' has a different meaning these days, more likely the victim.

Unclear why you insist on not taking the L. We might need to start wondering about your consistency. :lol:

What Joe said is even worse given the specificity of “the glaring lights nationally”.

“When a woman alleges sexual assault, presume she is telling the truth”.

“ For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you've got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she's talking about is real.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html
Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “POLITICS”