Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
get it to x

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by get it to x »

Not to say the team's success is all about Marcille, but there is more to Hop's success than his saves and outlet passes. I see a team playing with more confidence knowing that if they screw up that the goalie is likely going to have their back.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 am Not to say the team's success is all about Marcille, but there is more to Hop's success than his saves and outlet passes. I see a team playing with more confidence knowing that if they screw up that the goalie is likely going to have their back.
That is indeed the intangible that good goalie play often brings to a team.
Under appreciated intangible.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:37 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:08 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:02 pm
faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 pm Congratulations to JHU! Navy looked like it had a slight advantage in conditioning and speed. Hopkins had the skill advantage and closed the game very well.
That’s the difference between this year and last, we’re closing out games well.
100%. Well, except the UNC game. Doesn't excuse the very rough performance overall but that's two straight games on the road they've shut the door when it mattered most.

Another good effort from Marcille. 7 GBs for Mazzone. Carson Brown another precocious showing.

Goes without saying that if they play like that again on Sunday, they'll lose. Possibly by a lot.
Four of Jays’ six wins have featured 4th quarter close outs.
This is why this team feels different. For years this team has wilted in the 4th.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 am Well we are not sending that game to the Hall of Fame to be looped on a monitor in the "Offense" wing. If it's a good sign to beat a team when you are not playing your "A" game then Hopkins fans got a very good sign. The stretch from the 2nd quarter to the just before the Degnon man-up goal was as unfocused and flat as you can get. Navy's effort obviously had something to do with it but at one point JHU couldn't execute a pass from one player to another. There are not many mysteries to this game - the defense played fairly well and Tim played great again (except for one or two outlet passes) but the mental lapses that led to the turnovers helped on many Navy goals. Once again Hopkins shot pretty well - even in the horror show of a third quarter they shot 67% (4 of 6). Hopkins shot 31% Navy shot 24% - there's the glaring difference in the game. Other thoughts:
- I know Hopkins can justifiably feel no team gets any sympathy about injuries bur no Skalniak and Swanson helped a fair bit - if they play - oh boy
- Milliman's response on Peshko was mildly interesting - when asked to evaluate him because good things always seemed to happen when he was on the field - ball coach said "Well it doesn't always seem that way" He then went on to offer some compliments but clearly coaches want more consistency.
It was an odd bit of frankness we haven’t always got from the HC post game. I’ll say this about PM in this situation, he’s right. We’ve all expected more from Peshko because he’s shown he’s capable of some spectacular play. He needs to find the consistency.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:56 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 am Well we are not sending that game to the Hall of Fame to be looped on a monitor in the "Offense" wing. If it's a good sign to beat a team when you are not playing your "A" game then Hopkins fans got a very good sign. The stretch from the 2nd quarter to the just before the Degnon man-up goal was as unfocused and flat as you can get. Navy's effort obviously had something to do with it but at one point JHU couldn't execute a pass from one player to another. There are not many mysteries to this game - the defense played fairly well and Tim played great again (except for one or two outlet passes) but the mental lapses that led to the turnovers helped on many Navy goals. Once again Hopkins shot pretty well - even in the horror show of a third quarter they shot 67% (4 of 6). Hopkins shot 31% Navy shot 24% - there's the glaring difference in the game. Other thoughts:
- I know Hopkins can justifiably feel no team gets any sympathy about injuries bur no Skalniak and Swanson helped a fair bit - if they play - oh boy
- Milliman's response on Peshko was mildly interesting - when asked to evaluate him because good things always seemed to happen when he was on the field - ball coach said "Well it doesn't always seem that way" He then went on to offer some compliments but clearly coaches want more consistency.
It was an odd bit of frankness we haven’t always got from the HC post game. I’ll say this about PM in this situation, he’s right. We’ve all expected more from Peshko because he’s shown he’s capable of some spectacular play. He needs to find the consistency.
It's still weird not to have 70 percent of every coach comment we get begin with 05/07 followed by Belichekian speak.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

get it to x wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:42 am Not to say the team's success is all about Marcille, but there is more to Hop's success than his saves and outlet passes. I see a team playing with more confidence knowing that if they screw up that the goalie is likely going to have their back.
Arguably could be below .500 without his tending
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

- Hopkins surely must think shot clock operators are overworked and underpaid as it feels like you could go get a cup of coffee for 70 seconds when Hop has the ball and the only thing you have to worry about is a turnover. It's a contributing factor I am sure why they shoot fairly well but at some point the numbers just may not work. Rutgers and Penn State are pretty close to 50 shots per game - Maryland 45 - Michigan 40. On the goalie side Fraycon is at 57% Rupple 59% Mullin 54% So you are about to embark on a very tough road and if you generate only 35ish shots per game you might not score 12 and then you are asking something heroic from Marcille and the defense.
- Angelus must run a marathon during a game - they ask alot of that kid and he will be one tired puppy by 9 pm Sunday.
- If Hopkins has a strength on offense it is that they have some variety in scoring - 8 guys with at least 6 goals and Evans has 7 point in 5 games and Chauvette has 5 goals - the shot at the end of the 3rd period last night was huge. Of course not many other teams have played 9 games.
-It's still not clear whose offense this is. Bensons, Crawlys or PM's or what the future is. Crawly says he's running the motion offense which he says is based off Bensons offense and Benson said in an interview that's based off his McDonough hs hoops coach. PM says the offense is based off his trying to get favorable matchups late in the shot clock. Whatever it is they're winning.
-Loyola caught us without some offensive players. You can only play the team in front of you.
-Navy's coach was asked in their press conference about playing this game next year. He said he wants to but it's up to PM.
-PM said they were running a third midfield. Usually by this point in the season we're wondering if we have one.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Talk about a trap game, Penn State just fell to Marquette 12-11.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

murphy schellenberger zinn all playing in terp/uva game. What does our lineup look like tomorrow night if Petro had kept his job to 2023?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:41 pm murphy schellenberger zinn all playing in terp/uva game. What does our lineup look like tomorrow night if Petro had kept his job to 2023?
Shellenberger had nothing to do with Petro staying or going. Zinn? Extra SSDM, fine. Murphy? Really, do we really have to do this every time MD plays a game?
'
To your question, I'm not sure what the roster would be, but my guess says record would be 3-6.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

We'd have a bunch of 5'6'' guys playing midfield and we wouldn't have Collison, Melendez, Mazzone, Szuluk, Brown, or Callahan and who knows if Marcille would be in cage or if they'd have found a way to get Darby an extra year of eligibility. No thanks, I'm good.

Georgetown, Jacksonville, St. Joe's all won today. Helps us out a bit. Need that to continue. Penn State losing to Marquette ain't great for the conference RPI. Nits are now 0-2 against the Big East after running through the Ivy League.
primitiveskills

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:59 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:41 pm murphy schellenberger zinn all playing in terp/uva game. What does our lineup look like tomorrow night if Petro had kept his job to 2023?
Shellenberger had nothing to do with Petro staying or going. Zinn? Extra SSDM, fine. Murphy? Really, do we really have to do this every time MD plays a game?
'
To your question, I'm not sure what the roster would be, but my guess says record would be 3-6.
Watching OT right now, you're right, I do miss watching Zinn playing catch with the goalie.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:04 pm We'd have a bunch of 5'6'' guys playing midfield and we wouldn't have Collison, Melendez, Mazzone, Szuluk, Brown, or Callahan and who knows if Marcille would be in cage or if they'd have found a way to get Darby an extra year of eligibility. No thanks, I'm good.

Georgetown, Jacksonville, St. Joe's all won today. Helps us out a bit. Need that to continue. Penn State losing to Marquette ain't great for the conference RPI. Nits are now 0-2 against the Big East after running through the Ivy League.
Must-win game against Delaware tomorrow. Our SOS will be more than fine and our RPI will be stellar as long as we keeping winning.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:20 pm
'
Watching OT right now, you're right, I do miss watching Zinn playing catch with the goalie.
To be fair, that was an amazing save on Zinn.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:24 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:10 pm Predictions for Friday evening at Navy? If things keep going in the same pattern, I say Hopkins wins big.
I predict Navy delivers their best game of the season and falls short to Hopkins 14-9.

DocBarrister
Navy played its best game of the season but it still wasn’t enough. When it came to crunch time, Hopkins showed the poise and firepower to put the game away.

Freshman midfielder Matt Collison sparked a strong finish to the fourth quarter as the ninth-ranked Blue Jays took control of a close contest and escaped Annapolis with a 12-9 victory.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:46 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:20 pm
'
To be fair, that was an amazing save on Zinn.

DocBarrister
Second one was amazing. First one was a hands-free step down from 10 yards that went straight at the goalie. Brought back memories.
primitiveskills

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:52 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:10 pm Predictions for Friday evening at Navy? If things keep going in the same pattern, I say Hopkins wins big.
I predict Navy delivers their best game of the season and falls short to Hopkins 14-9.

DocBarrister
Navy played its best game of the season but it still wasn’t enough. When it came to crunch time, Hopkins showed the poise and firepower to put the game away.

Freshman midfielder Matt Collison sparked a strong finish to the fourth quarter as the ninth-ranked Blue Jays took control of a close contest and escaped Annapolis with a 12-9 victory.

If Collison can add that draw-and-dump aspect to his game, like he showed in the 4th, he's going to be devastating.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:11 pm

DocBarrister

If Collison can add that draw-and-dump aspect to his game, like he showed in the 4th, he's going to be devastating.
Collison with two assists yesterday. Also has some good hockey assists in recent games. The freshman is improving every game.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

On one hand, Delaware’s wins aren’t as good as the Blue Jays’ wins.

On the other hand, Delaware will play with 8 days rest, versus 2 days for Hopkins (really, one day).

Give the edge to Hopkins because the game is at Homewood.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

DocBarrister

Please don't act like you "nailed" it. After wins against MSM/Queens/Hofstra and then 4 consecutive losses to Manhattan/Lehigh/High Point and getting boat raced by Colgate - not hard to predict that Navy would give a good effort in their most historic lacrosse rivalry excepting Army. 14-9 implies one team had the game in hand - that game was 10-9 with 4 minutes left. In fact at 10-8 it was exactly the same situation as last year. Congrats on getting Navy's final score right.
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:04 pm Georgetown, Jacksonville, St. Joe's all won today. Helps us out a bit. Need that to continue. Penn State losing to Marquette ain't great for the conference RPI. Nits are now 0-2 against the Big East after running through the Ivy League.
The Dolphins just passed one of their remaining tests - while the games have to be played - they shoud be heavily favored to be 8-1 going out to Utah in a few weeks and Waldbaum is back - if they beat Utah running the table for the remainder of the season is not out of the question. Georgetown has 3 consecutive home games coming up.

The Blue Hens present some issues. Face-off man at 56% but against their two toughest opponents he was slightly under 50%. Our crew has struggled the last few games since Dunn's effort against Cole. Kurtz and Ward certainly have eye-popping stats - 74 points combined in 7 games - not hard math. I would recommend guarding those two. They have a 50% EMO and they don't foul alot. 33 ground balls a game 15 turnovers a game. TO have any chance the possession battle has to lean Hopkins way to combat any fatigue issue. PM has certainly created a challenge - if they win they will hopefully carry some confidence up to Ann Arbor.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”