Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Sensible Gun Safety

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:54 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:16 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 pm Just think....if you had an AR-15 while this was raining down on you, coming to kill you.

So if I go skydiving again I need a bulletproof vest? Been looking for a place for my son to try it as well though youth diving is more limited, perhaps because it’s harder for kids to avoid flying bullets?
Apparently the video/still images of Hamas parachuting in, was false.....my bad.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/11/blm-chica ... araglider/
Even if this report is true doesn’t it tell you anything about dropping stuff in here from wherever, rejecting the axiom “trust but verify” completely in these actions?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:29 pm Just think....if you had an AR-15 while this was raining down on you, coming to kill you.

So if I go skydiving again I need a bulletproof vest? Been looking for a place for my son to try it as well though youth diving is more limited, perhaps because it’s harder for kids to avoid flying bullets?
Apparently the video/still images of Hamas parachuting in, was false.....my bad.

What kind of planes did they jump from?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 144077007/
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:09 am

It was also originally presented on national news, indicating they were not necessarily jumping from planes, rather motorized hand gliding.I guess your google search did not show that piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5vPfqtJBM
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:50 pm Astounding, in the nation that has experienced Columbine, Sandy Hook-Newtown, Red Lake, Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, Marjorie Stoneman Douglas, Oxford and Uvalde:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... -violence/

"Jaden Wood didn’t know about the gun brought to school on the fourth day of his junior year until he got home and the news spread on social media. An assistant principal at Rome High in northwest Georgia had gotten a tip and confronted a ninth-grader, police would later say. But the 15-year-old refused to give up his backpack, prompting a resource officer to wrestle him to the floor. Inside the bag, a staff member found a black 9mm handgun loaded with seven rounds, including one in the chamber.

Jaden, then 16, felt more annoyed than frightened. He was, at last, an upperclassman, with his own parking spot and aspirations for the year ahead: AP classes, starting on the soccer team and, maybe, finding a girlfriend. The gun was an aberration.

“It’s not going to happen again,” he remembered thinking on that Wednesday evening in early August 2022.

And then it did — on the fifth day of school.

“My main concern was, are the kids going to be okay?” Young said. “Is the teacher going to be okay? What’s going to happen? How can I keep this kid from hurting other people or himself?”

He tried to get as close to the teen as possible without him noticing. Then, the teacher spoke up. “Uh-oh, who’s in trouble?” she chirped.

The teen reached for his backpack.

Young jumped forward, grabbing the teen with one hand and separating him from the backpack, which a fellow officer — following closely behind — soon grabbed. Zipped in a pocket, away from the notebooks and colored pencils and school-issued laptop, was the gun, which the teen would later tell police he’d stolen from his grandparents.

It was loaded."
It's not the kids, it's the backpacks.

They need to ban backpacks. And do a background check before selling them at Walmart. They carry those things everywhere.

And there's always some sort of contraband in there, booze, drugs, guns.

Seeing every size and shape being used for the felonious activity. But mostly Jansport and cinch. And why do kids need duffle bags? Really? Only the government needs bags that size.

I'm only half kidding. Because it's gotten so notorious in our area at the HS level, lots of parents who host kids over for parties or hangouts wont allow bags in or at their houses.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:23 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:50 pm Astounding, in the nation that has experienced Columbine, Sandy Hook-Newtown, Red Lake, Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois, Marjorie Stoneman Douglas, Oxford and Uvalde:

"Jaden Wood didn’t know about the gun brought to school on the fourth day of his junior year until he got home and the news spread on social media. An assistant principal at Rome High in northwest Georgia had gotten a tip and confronted a ninth-grader, police would later say. But the 15-year-old refused to give up his backpack, prompting a resource officer to wrestle him to the floor. Inside the bag, a staff member found a black 9mm handgun loaded with seven rounds, including one in the chamber.

Jaden, then 16, felt more annoyed than frightened. He was, at last, an upperclassman, with his own parking spot and aspirations for the year ahead: AP classes, starting on the soccer team and, maybe, finding a girlfriend. The gun was an aberration.

“It’s not going to happen again,” he remembered thinking on that Wednesday evening in early August 2022.

“My main concern was, are the kids going to be okay?” Young said. “Is the teacher going to be okay? What’s going to happen? How can I keep this kid from hurting other people or himself?”

He tried to get as close to the teen as possible without him noticing. Then, the teacher spoke up. “Uh-oh, who’s in trouble?” she chirped.

Young jumped forward, grabbing the teen with one hand and separating him from the backpack, which a fellow officer — following closely behind — soon grabbed. Zipped in a pocket, away from the notebooks and colored pencils and school-issued laptop, was the gun, which the teen would later tell police he’d stolen from his grandparents.

It was loaded."

They need to ban backpacks. And do a background check before selling them at Walmart. They carry those things everywhere.

Seeing every size and shape being used for the felonious activity. But mostly Jansport and cinch. And why do kids need duffle bags? Really? Only the government needs bags that size.

I'm only half kidding. Because it's gotten so notorious in our area at the HS level, lots of parents who host kids over for parties or hangouts wont allow bags in or at their houses.
And if you see a HS kid sipping a clear water bottle.....beware, its likely burnetts vodka.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:58 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:09 am

It was also originally presented on national news, indicating they were not necessarily jumping from planes, rather motorized hand gliding.I guess your google search did not show that piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF5vPfqtJBM
No it didn’t. Those appeared to be jumpers. Did they jump off the motorized vehicles or land with them while shooting? I couldn’t tell from your picture so I asked. I didn’t see any vehicles in that picture.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

It was loaded."

I get you are "half kidding," but you make a good point Kramer. It is parents who don't ride herd on their guns, kids who bring them to school, and the backpacks that hide them. We should be working on all three.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:35 am

It was loaded."

I get you are "half kidding," but you make a good point Kramer. It is parents who don't ride herd on their guns, kids who bring them to school, and the backpacks that hide them. We should be working on all three.
I agree. And I'd add a 4th/5th

Many of these terrible shootings in schools happen in rural or suburban towns. The obvious connection, as you mentioned, is kids having access to them in the house of a legal owner who is careless or casual with their firearms.

Make sure the penalties for firearm carelessness are significant.

Many of these terrible shootings outsde of schools happen in urban areas. The obvious connection is kids having access to them in the streets. Get the illegal ones off the streets too.

Make sure the penalties for possessing illegally procured firearms are significant.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I was driving yesterday with NPR on and caught a piece of a podcast series they've been running...

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/1108749261/the-gun-machine

I picked up at about 5:00 in this roughly 40 minute podcast (Episode 2: Why We Carry). I arrived at my destination, but found it so compelling that I stayed in my car listening.

I just listened to the first 5 minutes as well...I'm going to go back and listen to Episode 1 and episode 3, but I highly recommend Episode 2...it explains why the 2nd Amendment exists in the Constitution at all. Come to your own conclusions.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It was loaded."

If you’re gonna go there, what’s with women’s purses being like duffel bags these days (in my best Seinfeld voice)

Because I’m generous my illustrations will be a great scene form
Justified that involves of Raylan, Boyd or Dickey Bennett.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bq5PMGcPQ
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:32 am

It was loaded."

And if you see a HS kid sipping a clear water bottle.....beware, its likely burnetts vodka.
I used to mix Collins mix with it and drop in in Gatorade bottles. Mr Boston for my broke a**
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cradle will chime in with an inane reply within 3.2.1 of reading this..it will be something like: but the liberals in NYC like that mayor Ed Koch and goofy contemporary artist Andy Warhol! Guns will do what they want when they want!

Link to axios piece:

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/16/americ ... rime-south

Link to underlying report:

https://www.americanprogressaction.org/ ... e-in-2023/

America's highest gun death rates are in the South

Caitlin Owens
Data: Center for American Progress Action Fund; Map: Erin Davis/Axios Visuals

The cities with the highest firearm homicide rates are clustered in the South, generally in red states with less restrictive gun laws, according to an analysis by the left-leaning Center for American Progress provided exclusively to Axios.

Why it matters: The report argues that the findings refute Republican narratives that progressive policies stoke more crime in cities.

In fact, there's a distinct gap between urban firearm homicide rates in blue states — which tend to have stronger gun safety laws — and those in red states, the report concludes.
The analysis used data from the Gun Violence Archive on the 300 most populous U.S. cities.
It comes amid a growing push to treat gun violence as a public health crisis, including New Mexico's controversial use of a public health order to ban open and concealed carry.
What they're saying: The analysis shows "we're really seeing two different Americas when it comes to gun violence," said Chandler Hall, the report's author and a senior policy analyst at CAP.

"There's already a lot that cities are trying to do to address gun violence locally … but when they're hamstrung by state policies and can't control the flow of guns or how guns are carried in their cities, there's only so much city officials can do," he added.
What's more, some blue-state cities, like Chicago, are bordered by red states with looser gun laws.
Zoom in: St. Louis had America's highest gun homicide rate in 2022, followed by Birmingham, Ala., New Orleans, Jackson, Miss., and Baltimore.

By the numbers: The average gun homicide rate in blue-state cities was 7.2 per 100,000 residents from 2015 to 2022, the analysis found. In red-state cities, it was 11.1 deaths per 100,000.

Yes, but: Gun homicide rates were higher overall in blue cities — as defined by the mayor's party affiliation — than in red ones.

The report argues that blue cities differ from red cities when it comes to factors like population size, poverty rate and inequality, and that contrasting them doesn't yield meaningful conclusions.
The big picture: Cities also typically don't have much control over gun laws, experts say.

"A lot of cities are bound by state-level policies," said Dan Semenza, an assistant professor at Rutgers and a member of the Regional Gun Violence Research Consortium at the Rockefeller Institute of Government. "There's often little wiggle room for cities to be able to go far and beyond the policies that states have on the books because the cities are required to abide by those laws and policies."
Semenza was not involved with the CAP analysis and had not seen it before talking to Axios, so was not directly addressing its results.
He said that research has shown that laws to keep children from accessing guns and background checks paired with some kind of licensing or permitting can reduce gun violence. On the other hand, more permissive concealed carry laws increase the risk of violence.
"At the end of the day, it's just about guns and opportunities and that risk, and it goes up when more guns are available," he said. "It's not about individual intent. It's about population-level risk."
Typical Lax Dad

Ol’ coach should have been strapped…..

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/us/st-lo ... index.html
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:53 am Ol’ coach should have been strapped…..

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/19/us/st-lo ... index.html
Postscript.

The other parents shot him dead and left his body at the border
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

If you were tired of seeing Middle East news 24/7 - man armed with an assault rifle shot up a bowling alley and restaurant in Lewiston ME last night killing at least 22 people - as many a 50-60 injured possibly wounded.

Shooter identified but not yet in custody reportedly possibly hiding in woods 8 miles from the crime scenes- former Army Ranger and current reservist. Recent history of mental issues yet still in possession of a semi-automatic rifle.

Rinse, repeat.
Last edited by Kismet on Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Coming to a town near you, or your town. It's not a question of the size or location of the city or town; it is a question of a mentally ill person's access to weapons...in a country in which access to weapons is essentially unhindered. Lewiston is a town of about 34,000, includes Bates College. Over 20 dead and 60 injured are numbers that will reverberate in nearly every home there. The Second Amendment has been overrun any kind of balance against the right to just go bowling, go to church, the movies, Walmart, high school, college, the workplace. What on earth is wrong with us?
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well said.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

njbill wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:44 amWell said.
I specialize in futility.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That is indeed very well said, Sc. The Founders had great vision but not good enough to see hundreds of years down the road.
You'd only have to answer a couple of questions from me if you proposed that everyone has the right to bear arms today and they would be W-T-F do you think is going to happen there? How well disciplined is that multi millions man militia, with hundreds of millions of weapons, going to be?
Join the NRA today, don't phuk with the 2nd Amendment, and oh, thoughts and prayers.

Return to “POLITICS”