Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
NattyBohChamps04

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:34 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:22 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:44 am

What does this have to do with Israel defending their citizens and going to war against Hamas?
I see you're ignoring the actual discussion.

I simply felt like throwing in a quote from another Jew since you were doing it. It was tangential to the Ronald Rand tweet about liberal Jews as it included enemies in it.
You're actually the one doing the ignoring. You quoted Jesus completely out of context as if it had any relevance whatsoever to the "discussion". I asked you about it, very specifically, yet you chose to ignore it.
Not out of context at all. You quoted some random Jewish person, so I quoted another one who's a bit more level-headed. He had some very specific instructions on how to treat your enemies. And you're ignoring them to push hatred.

I'd rather the world follow his teachings than your random internet friend.
NattyBohChamps04

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:45 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:41 am

It is how to treat one's enemies.

And I don't think the preceding quotes have much basis in reality. It's one person's opinion and they try to paint an entire group of Jewish people as evil and your enemy. It's clearly a social media account (of unknown origin) that's trying to incite division and hatred.
Ayn's rationale for going after and exposing those who are "Jews" in name only:

"Liberal Jews have long gone unchallenged for your outrageous duplicity of feigning Jewishness while facilitating anti-Semitism. Now you will be challenged by me and others. And you will despise it because there is no defense for what you do. You provide camouflage for Jew haters."

I agree with her completely.
You can agree with her/him but that just makes the both of you wrong.

The liberal Jews I know do nothing of the sort. I guess you prefer the kind of people who chant Death to Arabs and want to wipe out Palestine. Which I guess is your right.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:56 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:51 pm Bully troll behavior, but that's become clear.
That is you to a T--a Bully Troll. But you use fake polite high sounding language to mask it and think no one else is wise to you. You're also a brutal twister of words and meanings and intents. Insufferable.
I usually do care about not offending others, but you've passed that point.

I'm calling it out for what it is.

If you EVER want to have a serious discussion in which you explain what your "meanings and intents" are that are different than your words, I'll read and respond seriously in return just as I do with lots of other posters with whom I have sincere disagreements. Good faith for good faith.

But you post antisemitic tweets from phony accounts under the guise of caring about Jews and then tell us how terrible Biden is and how Israel will love when Trump is elected again and I'll call out the bigotry, less politely.

Again, just as I do with others...including on the left.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:04 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:45 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:41 am

It is how to treat one's enemies.

And I don't think the preceding quotes have much basis in reality. It's one person's opinion and they try to paint an entire group of Jewish people as evil and your enemy. It's clearly a social media account (of unknown origin) that's trying to incite division and hatred.
Ayn's rationale for going after and exposing those who are "Jews" in name only:

"Liberal Jews have long gone unchallenged for your outrageous duplicity of feigning Jewishness while facilitating anti-Semitism. Now you will be challenged by me and others. And you will despise it because there is no defense for what you do. You provide camouflage for Jew haters."

I agree with her completely.

The liberal Jews I know do nothing of the sort. I guess you prefer the kind of people who chant Death to Arabs and want to wipe out Palestine. Which I guess is your right.
Just to repeat, we have no idea it's a "she" much less that they are "Jewish". It's a phony account.
Spouting bigotry.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:51 pm Bully troll behavior, but that's become clear.
That is you to a T--a Bully Troll. But you use fake polite high sounding language to mask it and think no one else is wise to you. You're also a brutal twister of words and meanings and intents. Insufferable.

If you EVER want to have a serious discussion in which you explain what your "meanings and intents" are that are different than your words, I'll read and respond seriously in return just as I do with lots of other posters with whom I have sincere disagreements. Good faith for good faith.

But you post antisemitic tweets from phony accounts under the guise of caring about Jews and then tell us how terrible Biden is and how Israel will love when Trump is elected again and I'll call out the bigotry, less politely.

There's no such thing as a serious discussion with you. All on your terms. You're fine if I agree with you but as soon as I say something you disagree with, out come the snotty condescensions, smears and insults--with assumptions, presumptions and wrestings a-plenty.

Antisemitic tweets. Give me a break. What--Jews aren't supposed to call out other Jews if they're traitors? I've seen that exact thing on these boards, one (supposedly a Jew) gushing out justifications and support for Israel's enemies. And in my own family--one of my Jewish cousins spewing out anti-Israel sentiments. Plus I'm Jewish. Posting antisemitic tweets. Perfect example of your twisting what I said and what I posted.

You care about offending others. What rubbish.

As far as Trump goes--if my two choices are either Biden or Trump--I'm taking Trump all day every day. I won't be bullied or shamed into distancing myself from that by you or anyone else on these boards. Trump has a boatload of past (and current) crap with him. But he is by far the lesser of two evils when compared to Joe the Frail Wanderer.--especially where Israel is concerned.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:08 pm

There's no such thing as a serious discussion with you. All on your terms. You're fine if I agree with you but as soon as I say something you disagree with, out come the snotty condescensions, smears and insults--with assumptions, presumptions and wrestings a-plenty.

Antisemitic tweets. Give me a break. What--Jews aren't supposed to call out other Jews if they're traitors? I've seen that exact thing on these boards, one (supposedly a Jew) gushing out justifications and support for Israel's enemies. And in my own family--one of my Jewish cousins spewing out anti-Israel sentiments. Plus I'm Jewish. Posting antisemitic tweets. Perfect example of your twisting what I said and what I posted.

As far as Trump goes--if my two choices are either Biden or Trump--I'm taking Trump all day every day. I won't be bullied or shamed into distancing myself from that by you or anyone else on these boards. Trump has a boatload of past (and current) crap with him. But he is by far the lesser of two evils when compared to Joe the Frail Wanderer.--especially where Israel is concerned.
At least you have that going for you.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 5:22 pm

At least you have that going for you.
:D
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Like clockwork.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

You may recall that I've multiple times gone toe to toe with the poster you reference. Quite heatedly.

Yes, of course there are a very small minority of Jews who are actually "anti-semitic", but what you describe about a "supposedly" Jewish cousin may well be a genuine disagreement about the righteousness of the cause of Palestinians and a critique of right wing Israeli actions. I'm doubtful that this "Jewish" cousin applauds terrorist actions but I can certainly imagine them, as thoughtful Jews, trying to explain "justifications" for such acts and not being well received by you or others like you.

BTW, I 100% can empathize with those who get furious about anyone not condemning terrorist actions fully. Very understandable to be unable to even process "justifications" in the face of such horrific acts.

On the other hand, I can also empathize with those who can see and hear only the horrors being inflicted on civilians in Gaza.

Both are understandable, and yet neither's blindness and deafness to the other's pain is constructive.

But here you are calling Jews "traitors" if they do not agree with either Zionism or they express sympathy for suffering Palestinians or they critique the actions of the Netanyahu government.

I think this is the first time, though I may well have missed something earlier, where you, an anonymous poster, told us that you are Jewish. I may be losing my marbles, but pretty sure you are the same poster who has spouted a whole lot of New Testament at us, or do I have you confused with someone else?

Perhaps you are. But you posted a clearly phony X feed and claimed "she" is Jewish as if that made "her" somehow a more important or credible voice than say Jesus. Hard right. And that feed was a quintessentially pernicious anti-semitic argument, from someone who is very likely not Jewish at all.

It was your choice to use that accounts quotes as if credible and persuasive and you got quite animated when a poster thought another Jew's thoughts might be more important in the full context.

And yeah, it's been really obvious you are all-in Trumpy MAGA, though you pretended to not be very well read on politics etc.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 6:25 pm Like clockwork.
and you apparently are as well? ;)

Come on O's !!
NattyBohChamps04

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:05 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:04 pm

Just to repeat, we have no idea it's a "she" much less that they are "Jewish". It's a phony account.
Spouting bigotry.
If a random account (online, known, unknown, who cares) is telling you to hate a group of Americans, your first reaction should be "why". Who benefits?

If a random or known account makes you agree with their stance on a group of Americans, you should be even more skeptical.

Regular chats with your neighbors is the best antidote to being terminally online. Turns out most people are just like us. Not what Twitter says they are.
NattyBohChamps04

I have a baseball signed by Willie Mays. We lost a great one.

Skip to ~4:35. Some sobering reminders of what we've been through in very recent history. And how far we've still to go. Much different than ~100 idiot kids in a quad at Columbia.

Unsurprisingly the fox host fumbles at the end, but at the same time kudos for letting Reggie speak openly.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Watched this whole pre-game show, was really good.
There was no bleeping out of words when Reggie was telling of his experiences as there shouldn't be in this clip.
How do you see the host as fumbling? I think he was somewhat stunned by what Reggie had to say but did alright.
I had forgotten that Willie was Bonds' godfather.
NattyBohChamps04

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:04 am How do you see the host as fumbling? I think he was somewhat stunned by what Reggie had to say but did alright.
He just seemed like a fish out of water. He didn't make things worse, but having a white host for an event like this with everyone else mixed and black. Then going from such powerful stories to the host stunned saying "that's awful, I can't imagine you going through that" because obviously he hasn't and can't imagine. Then having A-Rod just say "we love you Reg" with a hug in such a humanizing fashion was such a contrast.

"That's a great history lesson, Reggie Jackson, telling us all about it, preaching, wow." IDK man, it just feels off. Too much hosting, not enough connecting. "Preaching" is a hard sell too, Jackson's just telling a basic story.

A simple "Wow. Thank you Reggie" after hearing a fraction of what the man's been through seems more than enough. Just let the man tell his stories I guess?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fair enough, and yeah the white boy was undoubtedly feeling his color and rocked by Reggie's stories, had to be feeling just a tad uncomfortable there....I guess fumbling for words is a fair description.
It is and isn't hard to imagine that that was still going on in the 60s (so relatively recently). Having lived in Georgia in the 50s it's not at all hard for me to imagine but I'm sure it is for most of the kids I went to Jr High and HS with in NY where there wasn't one black student (not exaggerating).
I thoroughly enjoyed the show and the history, as was said by many, long overdue.
I think it's wrong to bleep out Reggie's words in the video clip, not quite the same
effect as when you're hearing him say it...dummies the reality down a bit, IMO.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

In case you missed it, slavery is alive and well in the US. Never ended.

“Florida, like many states throughout the US south, still relies on the labor of prisoners to keep prisons operating and subsidizing the work of local and state government agencies.

Florida is the third largest state prison system in the US, currently holding around 80,000 prisoners across 128 prisons, including 20 work camps. The state has one of the highest incarceration rates in the US, which has the highest incarceration rate of any country in the world where data is available.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... ison-labor
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
NattyBohChamps04

DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:48 am I think it's wrong to bleep out Reggie's words in the video clip, not quite the same
Yeah. YouTube has a swearing/ vulgar content policy for videos available to kids, so it may be that. There are some unedited versions floating around.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice...and you can still get thrown in jail for pot down there.
Possession of marijuana under Florida law is still a crime for those without a card. Anyone with 20 grams or less of weed faces up to a year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines.
What a nice door opener for the authorities, "I smell marijuana."
https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 874976007/
Looks as if they might be allowed to have 3 oz in the future.
Meanwhile you can have 16 cases of Wild Turkey. Yeah, that makes a whole lotta sense.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:48 am I think it's wrong to bleep out Reggie's words in the video clip, not quite the same
Yeah. YouTube has a swearing/ vulgar content policy for videos available to kids, so it may be that. There are some unedited versions floating around.
Credit Fox for not bleeping out the conversation on network television.

This link has the unedited clip
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/557993 ... mments-tv/

It's actually pretty stunning how bad it was back then.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:34 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:15 am
Credit Fox for not bleeping out the conversation on network television.

This link has the unedited clip
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/557993 ... mments-tv/

It's actually pretty stunning how bad it was back then.
In school districts across the country, legislation is being passed so that topics like this can’t be discussed in school. It is too divisive and teaches kids how to hate…. CRT indoctrination as it were. Reggie seems like he hates people?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “POLITICS”