Johns Hopkins 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Johns Hopkins 2024

Post by faircornell »

Heck of a run this year, Hop. Congratulations.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:05 pm Virginia had 7 more possessions than Hop for the game. It was 10-4 in the fourth quarter alone. Just so hard to overcome that. Jays were more efficient (26% to 24%) for the game; and they were super efficient through 3 quarters (34.4%.) But you can't lose FOs 62-38 and blow NINE clears. Just too much.

I hope it happens for the Jays soon. Was an amazing crowd/day at Towson, the energy in the second game was phenomenal. You guys bring a great intensity and passion to the games and these late stages and that was evident. Missing this year is tough with such a senior-laden group and you always want to break through when you're there, but I'm sure there will be more opportunities soon
Thanks for the stats. That seems about right.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Hop had four possessions in overtime. UVA finally scored on their second possession. They had the opportunities. The offense didn’t get it done.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:12 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:58 pm Chayse Ierlan is great. Definitely much more than an HM AA. Strange...
It really is amazing how much good goalie and FO play matters. This is the first year in 10+ years that Hop has had above-average to AA quality goalie play - it had to be worth at least 2-3 wins and probably more. Thank you #22.
Right. FO is an integral part of the game but I’ve seen so many games this year where 6v6 was very competitive but FO in particular completely slanted the game. IMO, it’s the part of the game that prevents mid and lower tier teams from reasonable chance at upsets like what routinely happens in basketball.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:43 pm
BigTom5 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:26 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:21 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:06 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:51 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:49 pm
norcalhop wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:45 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:44 pm In the second OT, Peter Milliman refused to coach.

His O was gassed. They weren’t making any headway.

And yet no timeout called.

I have had it with Peter Milliman.

He has never won a championship at any level. I doubt he ever will.

This was the year.

He blew it.

DocBarrister
There was no way in hell this team was going to win the championship this year. Unless both Kavanaughs got injured pregame. Good game, but as usual offense goes to sleep at times.
This team could have won it all. Leading 10-7 in the 4th quarter against Virginia?

ND is not unbeatable. Maryland was very beatable if Hopkins could push through.

Milliman is not the guy. He will never be the guy.

DocBarrister
10-7 against their backup goalie. You have to put up more goals. Inexcusable.
Just 1 goal, 1 assist from Collison, Grimes, and Peshko.

Crawley and PM needed to build the game plan around their big middies. They obviously didn’t.

Ierlan made this game much closer than it should have been. Virginia should have had at least 13-14 goals.

The attack was never going to get Hopkins enough goals.

DocBarrister
Once more for the season, then I'm done. You just watched four quarters and two overtimes where Collison, Grimes, and Peshko had the ball in their sticks the vast majority of the possession time, dodging continuously, mostly against SSDMs. It isn't the "game plan". UVa won those matchups today; the same ones they lost repeatedly in Charlottesville. Credit to them.
Yeah but if what worked in the first matchup doesn’t work in the rematch, shouldn’t you have adjustments ready?
Who knows? Virginia's D played well. Problem wasn't so much in 6v6; inability to clear was the killer. At the end, you get Collison the look you want in OT and their goalie just makes a play. My point was that the issue today was definitely not the lack of getting the ball to the "big" middies.
The problem WAS 6v6. Hop only scored five 6v6 goals the entire game. The clearing was equally bad but the offense was atrocious. Those sets at the end of regulation and in OT were embarrassing.
Collison, Peshko, and Grimes didn’t have the ball “the vast majority of the possession time.” That is absurd.

Their main role in the game was setting up dodges by the little guys … Bauer and Angelus did far more dodging than any of the Big Guys. I get it … they have speed and can move the ball when the slides come.

But that alone was never going to do it against Virginia. The Hopkins middies were crucial to beating Virginia the first time around.

Again, I’m not the only who thought this. QK critiqued the Hopkins O for the same issues I discussed. We saw a lacrosse article this morning make the same case I did.

And just look at the season O totals … usually don’t see scoring more than ten goals unless the middies are contributing. Angelus, Melendez, and Degnon can only score so much.

One goal and one assist by Peshko, Grimes, and Collison … that predictably results in a loss.

Only Ierlan’s heroics kept the game close.

Crawley and PM never figured out how to get the Big Guys more involved. I was not alone in saying that was not going to get them far.

Don’t be fooled by the close score. Ierlan’s freak performance masked a comfortable Virginia win.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
JayBlue

Post by JayBlue »

Great season Hopkins! Even though today didn’t end in a win, they should be proud of how well they did. As always, GO JAYS!!!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Very proud of their effort today. They gave it everything they had. Ultimately, as is so often the case - you can't surrender that many possessions on turnovers, 50/50 ground balls and blown clears. UVA made the adjustment to ratchet up the pressure and Hopkins failed to handle it. Chayse was brilliant,. I thought PM made a mistake not calling a time-out in the 4th quarter - regardless of whether they tried to get one when Angelus fell - his team was rattled by the 10 man. They had to ecpect it - they had to practice it - but it was bad - really bad. That decision by UVA and Hopkins ill prepared response was just a key turning point. Hopkins might have survived even the groundball deficit - some of the other turnovers and the stalled offense (credit to UVA) if they had an answer to the 10 man.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:55 pm Very proud of their effort today. They gave it everything they had. Ultimately, as is so often the case - you can't surrender that many possessions on turnovers, 50/50 ground balls and blown clears. UVA made the adjustment to ratchet up the pressure and Hopkins failed to handle it. Chayse was brilliant,. I thought PM made a mistake not calling a time-out in the 4th quarter - regardless of whether they tried to get one when Angelus fell - his team was rattled by the 10 man. They had to ecpect it - they had to practice it - but it was bad - really bad. That decision by UVA and Hopkins ill prepared response was just a key turning point. Hopkins might have survived even the groundball deficit - some of the other turnovers and the stalled offense (credit to UVA) if they had an answer to the 10 man.
I think the Blue Jays put in a great effort to beat that ride, even working against quadruple teams.

But sometimes the coaches need to make some adjustments midgame. Not sure the Hopkins coaches ever did.

Contrast the coaching job Tillman did against Duke. A truly masterful job.

I don’t blame our players, and certainly not the refs. Virginia played a spirited game and ramped up their play.

Our coaches just failed to adjust … and everyone here knows this is not the first time.

And by the way, I think it’s pretty hypocritical for some of these folks here to criticize my comments about PM. They were much tougher on Petro in his waning days … and he’s actually a proven winner.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Dock is Petro’s burner. Make so much sense now
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hooz123 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 9:42 pm Dock is Petro’s burner. Make so much sense now
Hey, I pretty much pleaded with Petro for a decade to put together a more aggressive takeaway D … and I think I was proven right about that.

So, I have critiqued Petro plenty.

As I have said, I think PM is a very good coach. I just don’t think he’s the guy to lead the program back to a national championship.

Would be ecstatic to have him prove me wrong. I just don’t think I am.

He has a GREAT defensive coach in JK. He has an OC who is learning. PM is not a great in-game manager … we know that now. He is a pretty good, not great, recruiter. He coaches at a school that is a traditional great draw for lacrosse, but isn’t for everyone.

Know what that sounds like to me?

Coach Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame. I follow ND football as closely as Hopkins lacrosse.

Is Coach Freeman a very good coach? Yes. Does he recruit pretty well, but not great? Yes. Will he regularly lead his team to bowl games and likely, regular appearances in the new 12-team football playoffs? Yep.

Will Notre Dame ever win a national championship with Coach Freeman at the helm? Probably not (although I am still hoping).

It’s kind of that simple. They say most great ND coaches reach greatness by their third season. Anyone who follows ND football knows that a national championship is not in the cards for 2024.

Nothing magical about three seasons … but you can usually judge a coach by his first few years at a winning institution (forget Danowski’s decades at Hofstra … neither Bill Tierney nor Coach Scott could have won there).

Again … Coach Freeman and PM are very good coaches. I’m pretty convinced neither will win a national championship.

Hope I’m wrong. I will still root for Hopkins lax and ND football.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Great run by Hopkins this year, and this Terps fan tips his cap to the team. Just a very tough and skilled group of kids who were a tough matchup for anyone.
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:34 am Great run by Hopkins this year, and this Terps fan tips his cap to the team. Just a very tough and skilled group of kids who were a tough matchup for anyone.
Good luck to the terps. They and Denver are the only teams I'll root for the rest of the way.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”