Baseball

General Chatter
Nigel

Re: Detroit Tigers vs Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park 1961

Post by Nigel »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am Image
I love how clean the wall is from advertisements. Beautiful!
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Detroit Tigers vs Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park 1961

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Nigel wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:12 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:10 am Image
I love how clean the wall is from advertisements. Beautiful!
Yes! You and me both.
Nigel

Re: Baseball

Post by Nigel »

Mookie's view on busting a slump. Respectable career .274 hitter.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pretty good chance deGrom will be pitching for the Syracuse Mets (Mets farm team) Thursday night.
Phenomenal pitcher and damn good all around athlete too.
Went and got our tickets today. Love this part, free for veterans!! Sure as hell can't beat that and
Thursdays is always dollar beer night. :D
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Nigel wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:40 pm Mookie's view on busting a slump. Respectable career .274 hitter.

translation, please
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:07 pm Pretty good chance deGrom will be pitching for the Syracuse Mets (Mets farm team) Thursday night.
Went and got our tickets today. Love this part, free for veterans!! Sure as hell can't beat that and
Stephen Strasburg rehabbed in Rochester in early June and 10500 turned out. Should be quite the crowd tomorrow.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:21 pm
Nigel wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:40 pm Mookie's view on busting a slump. Respectable career .274 hitter.

translation, please

Just for you Brooklyn,

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Nigel wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:18 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:07 pm Pretty good chance deGrom will be pitching for the Syracuse Mets (Mets farm team) Thursday night.
Stephen Strasburg rehabbed in Rochester in early June and 10500 turned out. Should be quite the crowd tomorrow.
Nice, sold out here too, 10,800. Mid 70s, 0% chance of rain and deGrom is pitching, think he's supposed to go five innings.
Used to go a few times a year before covid, first time back since then, lookin' forward to it.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DeGrom struck out the leadoff batter, Brian Miller, on three pitches to start the game.
https://www.syracuse.com/mets/2022/07/j ... night.html
This was not deGrom's most impressive outing, lot of batters got good wood on the ball, quite a few long fly balls caught for outs but I was surprised by how much solid contact was being made. That said, he is enjoyable to watch, his mechanics are text book, just a very good athlete. Without question one of the best pitchers I've seen in my lifetime, was glad to be able to catch him live. Guy's got very long legs (6'4"). Was obvious everyone enjoyed the opportunity to play with/against him including the umps as the plate ump shook his hand as he was leaving the field after the 4th, his final inning.
Glad I went and they sure don't short you on the fireworks after the game (not the first time I've said this), nice display.

Oh, and cuse.com, w*t*f, you don't change the way a person spells his/her name just because it's the first word in a sentence, but of course editing/proof reading aint what it used to be.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Really like watching the LLWS, these kids are just fun to watch. Get some good ball players along with Little League errors and mistakes but they're all all about it. No doubt a bit nervous and feeling a little pressure as this is a pretty big stage for these kids. I loved Little League, good stuff. Got a couple of lefty catchers, not so sure if that matters, particularly at this level, but it always just looks "wrong" to me. Gotta have a good catcher or you're screwed...handedness matters not in that respect.
Don't know who the gal is who is on the Northwest broadcast duo but she is just absolutely outstanding. Played on an Olympic ball team.
Play ball!!

Well, I now know Miss Commentator's first name is Jessica, must be this gal. She's terrific.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Mendoza
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Bump
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, youth, I couldn't find it.
This play is exactly what I was talking about.
Played perfectly and a bullet to the bullseye.
Really pretty play, he's a complete ballplayer
for sure.
https://www.mlb.com/video/tommy-pham-si ... -tommy-pha
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looking forward to the 1st week in October. #GoBraves
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Aaron Judge after tying Roger Maris' AL record for home runs in a season at 61.

Asked if he was relaxed in the box before hitting home run number 61, Aaron Judge said, “Of course. I’m playing a kid’s game.”

The record had been Maris' alone for - yep - 61 years.

njbill

Post by njbill »

I've been a bit surprised at all the publicity this has been getting (although in the now circling-the-drain Inqy it only got a two line mention in the "other sports" section).

I would have thought there'd be a lot more interest in following Pujols' chase to 700.

700 is a much rarer and much more prestigious mark than 60 homeruns. Pujols has 700 HRs, while Judge only has about 200 for goodness sake. Only four players have hit 700 while this is about the 10th time someone has hit 60. Someone makes a run at 60 from time to time (e.g., Ryan Howard), but only one other player has gotten close to 700 (A Rod).

Maybe this is just a NY thing.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill

This may be because Pujols has been accused (by Jack Clark and others) of roiding up. The roids having a major impact on his HR production as with McGwire and Sosa's "records" which have fallen into disfavor nowadays. Remove the roids and their numbers would be reduced considerably. By contrast, Justice has been proven to be clean. Therefore his record is legit where the others are not.

BTW, here in Lake Wobegone, Justice's work has been highly praised. By contrast, Pujols's work completely ignored. Thus, not a NY thing as this is the way it's been all over the country.

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

njbill wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:09 am I've been a bit surprised at all the publicity this has been getting (although in the now circling-the-drain Inqy it only got a two line mention in the "other sports" section).

I would have thought there'd be a lot more interest in following Pujols' chase to 700.

700 is a much rarer and much more prestigious mark than 60 homeruns. Pujols has 700 HRs, while Judge only has about 200 for goodness sake. Only four players have hit 700 while this is about the 10th time someone has hit 60. Someone makes a run at 60 from time to time (e.g., Ryan Howard), but only one other player has gotten close to 700 (A Rod).

It is, after all, notably the AMERICAN LEAGUE record which had stood for 61 years. Accomplished without performance enhancing substances, too. ;)

Pujols has played 24 seasons Judge only 7. After 7 seasons, Pujls had 282 dingers while Judge has 219 with 7 games to go.

Hell, if they asterisked Maris for all those years they should do the same with Bonds, Sosa and McGwire. :oops:
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, Pujols has been accused, but never proven. Don't think you can say steroids have had a "major impact" on his HR production. Pujols entered the league in 2001. Testing began in 2003. He had about 70 HRs before testing began. So not "major" even if he used which, again, has never been proven, unless you are saying he used but beat the tests in which case I think you are way out on a limb.

"Disfavored?" Sure, in some circles, but I think most fans regard the record as being what the official record is.

And, of course, neither Bonds, Sosa, nor McGuire ever tested positive. (Mark later admitted using but claimed it didn't impact his power.) You want to think the others used? That's fine, though you have to acknowledge that is simply conjecture.

Judge clean? Well, yeah. So far. But we thought McGuire and Sosa were clean. As we did with Lance Armstrong. Let's let the dust settle a little bit before we pronounce Judge "clean" for all time.

I agree Judge has been getting a lot of pub, which was the reason for my initial post. 60 deserves praise, just not the amount he is getting. He's still 12 off the record, and won't get there.

League record? Maybe you are an AL fan and AL records are meaningful to you. I'm an NL fan. No interest in AL records. If he gets it, a league record is nice for sure, but it's nowhere near the MLB record. I just don't think a team record or a league record warrants all the hoopla. You guys evidently do. That's fine. For me, I'd save the mega-attention for when someone is approaching a major league record.

I don't think you can seriously compare Pujols and Judge as homerun hitters. Pujols had 408 HRs at age 30. Judge has 219 (season not over). Get back to me when Judge has 600, or even 500.

No asterisks for anyone, I say (including Judge (61 in 155); Babe (60 in 153)). You can get bogged down forever in 154/162; spit ball; mound height; fence distance; relief pitchers; walks; black and latino players; greenies; nutrition; weight training; and on and on.

MLB is the official arbiter of its records. If MLB says it's a record, it's a record.

And I'm stickin' with my "it's a NY thing." ;) I'm sure you guys remember when McGuire and Sosa were approaching 61 in 1998, some New Yorkers considered the HR record to be a "Yankee" record and were bemoaning the fact that it was about to be overtaken by a non-Yankee. Do you really think player X would be getting the amount of attention Judge has gotten if he played for Kansas City or Cleveland or Seattle?

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”