Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:31 am Both goalies look pretty good. I suspect it will be a back and forth and maybe by committee throughout the year. I understand we have some additional injuries and coach kind of referred to season long injuries in the podcast. Any idea who? I know Herlihy was out, Troy b and ward looked injured and also DIno. Shae is banged up and maybe out? Envin has missed a ton but he isn’t a contributor yet. I was going through the list of sophomores and freshman and it looks like those two classes are big contributors and look like the future of our team. I think just as many freshman play as seniors for example. Thoughts?
Shea has been banged up since last year's Canisius game. A real grinder that keeps on working. Looks like Valent is cut from the same mold. Injuries never seem to end. Rumors of Considine and Bach out as well as Herlihy. Even if it's only 1 of those 3 that probably means Delano and/or Rosa taking runs at middie, with a possible line of line of Greene, Peterkin and Cardinali getting a lot of PT. Heard we're dinged up on D as well. Not a good situation to be in facing a ticked off Cornell. Some positives regarding Cornell are that Adler, Piatelli and Ierlan have moved on. Though Cornell tends to re-load fairly well.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:13 pm
Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:31 am Both goalies look pretty good. I suspect it will be a back and forth and maybe by committee throughout the year. I understand we have some additional injuries and coach kind of referred to season long injuries in the podcast. Any idea who? I know Herlihy was out, Troy b and ward looked injured and also DIno. Shae is banged up and maybe out? Envin has missed a ton but he isn’t a contributor yet. I was going through the list of sophomores and freshman and it looks like those two classes are big contributors and look like the future of our team. I think just as many freshman play as seniors for example. Thoughts?
Shea has been banged up since last year's Canisius game. A real grinder that keeps on working. Looks like Valent is cut from the same mold. Injuries never seem to end. Rumors of Considine and Bach out as well as Herlihy. Even if it's only 1 of those 3 that probably means Delano and/or Rosa taking runs at middie, with a possible line of line of Greene, Peterkin and Cardinali getting a lot of PT. Heard we're dinged up on D as well. Not a good situation to be in facing a ticked off Cornell. Some positives regarding Cornell are that Adler, Piatelli and Ierlan have moved on. Though Cornell tends to re-load fairly well.
Considine, Bach, and Herlihy? So we're going to be playing Cornell without our entire first midfield? You gotta be kidding me. I figured us to put up maybe 8-9 goals against Cornell. Better adjust downward. Injuries on D as well? Better adjust upward from the 18 I was figuring the Big Red would hang on us. This is going to be an ugly, ugly game. Sorry for saying so, but I am not hopeful.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

6-1 Red after 1st qtr..Cornell doing nothing fancy, just beating guys 1v1. Start the bus…
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I'm not able to see it, but is it as bad as Ted and Dave are saying? At least some new guys are getting a run ....
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:50 pm I'm not able to see it, but is it as bad as Ted and Dave are saying? At least some new guys are getting a run ....
10-2 half
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Laxgunea wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:50 pm I'm not able to see it, but is it as bad as Ted and Dave are saying? At least some new guys are getting a run ....
Yes. It’s bad. Can’t clear, defense is slow and porous, offense inept, goalies haven’t made any saves to speak of, either..
14-3 with 9 mins left in 3rd
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Not the end of the world. The score was about what I anticipated, although I had Cornell around 19-20 and us around 8. We lost to Duke in the NCAAs 22-6 many years ago with a very young team. Two years later we beat Cornell with that same bunch (not that I'm predicting something like that again, mind you...). We're going to improve. We just want to see some improvement now, and I think we will in the next couple of games. It's great that the coaches finally dipped into the bench right from the start. It shows some courage and it's going to pay dividends down the line.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Watched on ESPN+ - it was ugly from start to finish. Cornell is very good and they did a lot right from the beginning. Defense was ok early, then just couldnt keep up. Goalkeeping was not great but also not much you could do with 80% of shots on net. Clearing was a challenge. Face offs were pretty even. Offense continues to take poor quality shots. In the stat book it looks like they were shots of goal but really long shots will little chance of going in. Datellas looks frustrated and trying to press on everything. Patterson looked in control. Rosa is just a hustler, same with Delano - but neither had much going anywhere near the goal. Some younger faces on offense - Shellenberger, Stillwell, Swisher. Overall, rough game. Cornell beat us and they are very, very good.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:30 pm Watched on ESPN+ - it was ugly from start to finish. Cornell is very good and they did a lot right from the beginning. Defense was ok early, then just couldnt keep up. Goalkeeping was not great but also not much you could do with 80% of shots on net. Clearing was a challenge. Face offs were pretty even. Offense continues to take poor quality shots. In the stat book it looks like they were shots of goal but really long shots will little chance of going in. Datellas looks frustrated and trying to press on everything. Patterson looked in control. Rosa is just a hustler, same with Delano - but neither had much going anywhere near the goal. Some younger faces on offense - Shellenberger, Stillwell, Swisher. Overall, rough game. Cornell beat us and they are very, very good.
Yes, rough game. Syracuse is going to be rough too. Other than that, I think we'll be competitive if the guys can keep their heads up and not let this game affect them. Look at it as a learning experience. We just got schooled.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Objectively we have a lot of solid players. Goalie and faceoff are not weak points for us. So we just need to learn to play smart. Playing well against these next few opponents which are all winnable should help confidence
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Time for a bit more of a shake-up. Our offense was pretty easy to shut down. Cornell stopped our attempts at creating/initiating off the dodge without the necessary off ball movement. Firth did as good a job as possible on a player who will be a Tewaaraton finalist, if not the winner. Peterkin is starting to get it. Glad to see Snellenburg, Stillwell and DiTomasso get some PT.

Our defensive schemes were lacking. Way too often both of our goalies were facing 1 on 1s with no one getting a check or a body on the shooter. You can't win games that way. An excellent example was Julian Race trying to cover Cornell's #27. A complete mismatch. Who thought that was anywhere near a good idea? I think Race would better serve us on offense where his skills would be of better use imo. Nor can you win taking some really weak, low angle shots. I get Datellas having an off game as he was doubled all game. Except for Peterkin, tonight's shooting could kindly be surprised as subpar..

RoMo next. They do a decent job of moving the ball like a lot of boxla teams. Time to work harder.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

I think I could have seen this from the first game but just realized yesterday that we take a ton of shots from 10+ yards. We rarely have anyone in front of the goal. So we are really dependent on scoring from long distances. I think oldbartman is correct - mix it up, get something to happen. We run the shot clock down and then take a shot from 15 yards that is so easy to stop or worse yet, not on goal. that’s why I like Patterson - he is one of the rare people that can start something. Rosa is all over the field too, feels like Delano is not playing much or something - I dont really see him in the action. Feels like over reliance on Datellas and I dont think that is smart at this point in the season. Anyway, tough stretch and we have to show Saturday against Robert morris. Need a complete game and build confidence from here.
cooperstef

Post by cooperstef »

Bad game. Non consequential to the teams year long goals. Sucks to watch, and worse to play in. Just need to keep the head down and keep moving forward to Saturday.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

We looked like a D3 team (small, slow) playing against a D1 team. It was awful once it got past 2-1 CU. How we have most of the goal scorers from last year's potent offense shooting well below 30% most of the time and a defense that leaves the GK in tons of 1:1 losing matchups really sucks. We've allowed what? 66 goals in 4 games.

Not sure if it's the players or coordinators who can't get their heads on straight. Maybe it's both. At least we saw some new guys out there, but after 4 games and all these injuries (which we see EVERY year), it's just more of the same. Hobart's proud tradition has given way to mediocre, mid-major after thought. It's a shame.

Not sure what the solution is or how we ended up with such a young team other than we're in the "scholarship transition phase" and we just need to more patient and take our lumps as we cycle guys in.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yes, time to change things up. You hate to innovate on the fly, but the season record doesn't matter as much as the A10 performance, so might as well use RoMo to try some new things. I completely agree with BartfromBoston that part of the problem is where we are taking our shots from. I think we have underutilized inside players for years. The example that always stands out for me was Ty Yanko, but even now we have players like Ward (and to a certain extent, Rosa) who can be brilliant inside (not just on EMO) and who we don't use as much in that role. I think Madonna was so dominant outside that he opened opportunities for others, like Dattillas in his first year, to try some innovative things down low. But the profile of the team has changed, and we haven't changed our O to keep up. It feels (just a feeling) like Dattilas is under pressure to produce points, and that seems to have cramped his style.
I think the injuries are just freak injuries. But since we do have more than our share each season, its time to prepare a deeper depth chart in advance.
We can get there, and I think we can do well in the A10, but they will all be tight games. Everything has to be geared to getting ready for that part of the season. Plus, these guys need to embrace the suck ... it is terrible to get shellacked in Ithaca, but that's the way it is sometimes. Think only of RoMo now.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Forgettable game for sure.. Poor 1v1 defensively and not really anyone on O that was able to draw a slide. As others have pointed out, if we can't get their D to slide with our ball carriers, then we need a lot more movement. I was struck, too, by the number of long and unrealistic shot attempts. We have plenty of small guys on offense, but so does Cornell--they just seem to move faster with the ball compared to our guys. Frustrating for sure and we are young, but it seems we're perpetually "young"... Time to hit the portal!!
leafybeef

Post by leafybeef »

Even with everyone healthy I don't think the game ends up all that different. Recruiting at Hobart has always been odd to me. They recruit much of the same type players, all while having little success. They usually hit on two or three of the fifteen recruits each year. There is a couple of nice players on the roster, but I would argue had they played the Ithaca Bombers on the other side of town, the score wouldn't have been much different. Rebuilding year, but only if new pieces can come in and contribute. Good luck the rest of the way.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

leafybeef wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 am Even with everyone healthy I don't think the game ends up all that different. Recruiting at Hobart has always been odd to me. They recruit much of the same type players, all while having little success. They usually hit on two or three of the fifteen recruits each year. There is a couple of nice players on the roster, but I would argue had they played the Ithaca Bombers on the other side of town, the score wouldn't have been much different. Rebuilding year, but only if new pieces can come in and contribute. Good luck the rest of the way.
You make many valid points, but let's not forget that as recently as two years ago the score of this game was 15-12.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

leafybeef wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:39 am Even with everyone healthy I don't think the game ends up all that different. Recruiting at Hobart has always been odd to me. They recruit much of the same type players, all while having little success. They usually hit on two or three of the fifteen recruits each year. There is a couple of nice players on the roster, but I would argue had they played the Ithaca Bombers on the other side of town, the score wouldn't have been much different. Rebuilding year, but only if new pieces can come in and contribute. Good luck the rest of the way.
Ithaca beat St. John Fisher this past weekend, 12-10, and the son of the person that did the color analysis in last night's, Cornell/Hobart game, Howie Borkin, plays for Ithaca.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ignorant comment. Hobart would beat the Bombers 25-2. Hobart B team would beat Ithaca.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”