Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Voting Rights

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:27 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:14 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:18 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:06 am
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:54 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:01 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm Georgia boycotts not necessary yet, says Stacy Abrams.
Abrams then outlined suggestions for Georgia companies to take substantive action to promote voting rights, including encouraging corporations that do businesses in other states considering similar laws to speak out before they are passed.

The voting rights activist also urged corporations to use their voices to support federal voting rights legislation, as well as allocate money they would normally donate to political candidates to instead help ensure poor and minority communities have access to voting in Georgia.

Seems to me that the immediate goal should be to reverse some of the aspects of the bill that actually restrict voter access in ways that have no real benefit otherwise. However, the more significant outcome may actually be to marshal more resources for voter registration and engagement efforts, support for candidates advocating for voting rights, more equitable wealth opportunities, "justice" etc versus the "old boy" candidates that may have previously been favored.

Tactically, it would not be surprising to see a boycott against one or more corps that prove intransigent, while embracing those who want to be "allies". Where's Home Depot on this? EDIT: they gave a statement, but has their CEO gone on the line? UPS? They'll all need to step up harder than just words.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... entnewsntp
... the voting rights activist got off to a late start. They should have been at this point a month ago. I think there is still a little time before targeted boycotts need to be put in place. If Home Depot doesn't get in line and become an ally, they make a perfect target for a national boycott. I think that is part of Abrams' concern. It would hit a lot of people who are supportive of the cause - workers. There are some calling for a boycott to begin this weekend I think.
If I need a damn 2 by 4 I bet most DIY folks don't give a flying fig about any boycott. They just need the damn 2 by 4.
YUP, and everywhere there is a Home Depot, there are alternative places to purchase a damn 2 by 4.
Not around my house there is. The Depot is 5 minutes from my house. It is not my favorite place necessarily but the convenience can't be denied. If folks want to boycott them they can count me out. I don't support boycotts against any business.
The suggestion that there are good universal home improvement options much outside the top 50 msa’s is probably not a reasonable suggestion but I didn’t want to turn it into a “you coastal city elites” or whatever but almost all the independent hardware stores in Broome co NY have blown away and even the local mall in Johnson City is on the cusp of default on its debt.
You don't need every Home Depot to feel the pain, enough will if they are boycotted.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

That’s my dream. Why I fundamentally cant move very far left on fiscal and economic issues. Liberal democracy and the agenda of managed redistribution has its limits in Thai world we speak of.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:46 pm Georgia boycotts not necessary yet, says Stacy Abrams.
Abrams then outlined suggestions for Georgia companies to take substantive action to promote voting rights, including encouraging corporations that do businesses in other states considering similar laws to speak out before they are passed.

The voting rights activist also urged corporations to use their voices to support federal voting rights legislation, as well as allocate money they would normally donate to political candidates to instead help ensure poor and minority communities have access to voting in Georgia.

Seems to me that the immediate goal should be to reverse some of the aspects of the bill that actually restrict voter access in ways that have no real benefit otherwise. However, the more significant outcome may actually be to marshal more resources for voter registration and engagement efforts, support for candidates advocating for voting rights, more equitable wealth opportunities, "justice" etc versus the "old boy" candidates that may have previously been favored.

Tactically, it would not be surprising to see a boycott against one or more corps that prove intransigent, while embracing those who want to be "allies". Where's Home Depot on this? EDIT: they gave a statement, but has their CEO gone on the line? UPS? They'll all need to step up harder than just words.

... the voting rights activist got off to a late start. They should have been at this point a month ago. I think there is still a little time before targeted boycotts need to be put in place. If Home Depot doesn't get in line and become an ally, they make a perfect target for a national boycott. I think that is part of Abrams' concern. It would hit a lot of people who are supportive of the cause - workers. There are some calling for a boycott to begin this weekend I think.
If I need a damn 2 by 4 I bet most DIY folks don't give a flying fig about any boycott. They just need the damn 2 by 4.
YUP, and everywhere there is a Home Depot, there are alternative places to purchase a damn 2 by 4.
Not around my house there is. The Depot is 5 minutes from my house. It is not my favorite place necessarily but the convenience can't be denied. If folks want to boycott them they can count me out. I don't support boycotts against any business.
Enough people will.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm

The suggestion that there are good universal home improvement options much outside the top 50 msa’s is probably not a reasonable suggestion but I didn’t want to turn it into a “you coastal city elites” or whatever but almost all the independent hardware stores in Broome co NY have blown away and even the local mall in Johnson City is on the cusp of default on its debt.
You don't need every Home Depot to feel the pain, enough will if they are boycotted.
I’m combining with Lowe’s, in NC, home of Mark Meadows, the liar kid in the wheelchair and where the NBA just pulled an all star game over bathroom issues (not to mention the local rep who literally stole an election). At that point you’re probably looking at near 50% of the market. Hard to avoid both unless you’re in a dense enough area to have plentiful, broad inventory options.

Arthur Blank has a lot of goodwill for some of his efforts around town. I think Coke and UPS might be more productive targets. Maybe experian too, get at the plumbing and FinTech payments industry which has younger management and investors (Kabbage was a bunch of engineers who thought they could rewrite credit but did raise $1.3Bn over time only to sell for $800mm to AMEX) and would be faster to respond since they are selling culture in some of their businesses anyways.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Enough people will.
I encourage them to do so. The lines will be shorter for the rest of us that will shop there. They should step up the boycott on Saturday and Sunday and really stick it to em. :)
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:43 pm That’s my dream. Why I fundamentally cant move very far left on fiscal and economic issues. Liberal democracy and the agenda of managed redistribution has its limits in Thai world we speak of.
Gotta remember that our system already 'manages' 'distribution' of the benefits of wealth accumulation to the advantage of those with legacy wealth, rather than actual human capital potential...and that's the fundamental 'economic' question: how best to organize government's involvement in taxation and public benefits such that our human capital potential is optimized.

China has way more total human capital than we do, so we only 'win' strategically if we're much more efficient in that optimization.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:45 pm

Enough people will.
I encourage them to do so. The lines will be shorter for the rest of us that will shop there. They should step up the boycott on Saturday and Sunday and really stick it to em. :)
silver linings
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:41 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:33 pm That’s one of my originally points as well. This is happening in like 20 states but Ga is getting all the attention a little bit too late. Kemp is even pushing back on Bastian now
Kemp can push back all he wants, but this is going to get worse for him and the old guard in Georgia...and this will indeed spread to backlash in other states as well.

The GOP misread this, and over played their hand...across the country. The Big Lie and all of its repercussions, including Jan 6, makes for an unacceptable excuse for the voter restrictions play by the GOP.

Sounds like the corporate folks had weighed in and had successfully gotten the Georgia law moderated a bit before its passage (eg, got rid of the 'souls to the polls' issue), but were taken aback by the backlash themselves...and have since recognized that they needed to stand more firmly in opposition.

The water in line thing seems to have been the bit that was so egregious and easy to grasp that made the intent of the law so clear to even old white guys...but these are the smart old white guys who run major businesses; they have far greater exposure to consumer trends and values in the nation than do the 'old guard' knuckleheads in the legislatures of the red states.

Most "get it" that things need to change if US democracy actually will prevail over the command economies and political systems most notably represented by the Chinese...either we believe in our democracy being a strategic advantage, and make it work better, or we're doomed.
+1 Most people don't understand, capitalism and liberal democracy are not the same thing, but they do walk hand in hand in the most effective historicalimplementation.
Well...let's at least hope that we can prove that to be true in the coming era.

IMO, we need to double down on "democracy" and at the same time re-focus our national thinking to longer term desired outcomes.
Neither capitalism nor democracy limit our ability to do so. If we can't or don't the failing is not in our philosophy, it is in ourselves.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:48 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:42 pm

I’m combining with Lowe’s, in NC, home of Mark Meadows, the liar kid in the wheelchair and where the NBA just pulled an all star game over bathroom issues (not to mention the local rep who literally stole an election). At that point you’re probably looking at near 50% of the market. Hard to avoid both unless you’re in a dense enough area to have plentiful, broad inventory options.

Arthur Blank has a lot of goodwill for some of his efforts around town. I think Coke and UPS might be more productive targets. Maybe experian too, get at the plumbing and FinTech payments industry which has younger management and investors (Kabbage was a bunch of engineers who thought they could rewrite credit but did raise $1.3Bn over time only to sell for $800mm to AMEX) and would be faster to respond since they are selling culture in some of their businesses anyways.
There is nothing sacred about Lowes or the others, they aren't immune.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:56 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:43 pm That’s my dream. Why I fundamentally cant move very far left on fiscal and economic issues. Liberal democracy and the agenda of managed redistribution has its limits in Thai world we speak of.
Gotta remember that our system already 'manages' 'distribution' of the benefits of wealth accumulation to the advantage of those with legacy wealth, rather than actual human capital potential...and that's the fundamental 'economic' question: how best to organize government's involvement in taxation and public benefits such that our human capital potential is optimized.

China has way more total human capital than we do, so we only 'win' strategically if we're much more efficient in that optimization.
True, macro 101, how to optimize the means of production. What I was suggesting is that the volume of management is somewhat linear across the political philosophy spectrum here in the US and I’d suggest that increased management will increase inefficiency. In its crudest form, as you go to the left it goes from “rifle shot targeted“ to “blanket the problem with money”. Increase the velocity of those decisions being made up top and you’ll increase the cost of the slippage (like any market more turns pushes the price up). Hence my statement that there’s a limit to how far I can move relative to that “side” because of this.

And that’s been one of my arguments against China. They’ll miss their window because they’ll lean too hard on labor and underdevelopment intellectual capital internally until the point that demographics run against them. Maybe 20yrs. Not to mention the whole lack of property rights thing.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

I don’t need a cause to avoid the likes of Home Depot, but there’s even less of a reason to do so now. 96% of the time my local Ed Young’s True Value hardware answers the call at prices that are not significantly higher and I get better service. From March to October I’m a weekly fixture at any one of five independent garden stores. There no reason to go to the Orange place for anything. It’s real easy. The worst thing one can do is make your house look like it came from Home Depot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I use Lowe’s because it’s closer. Even around Atlanta the best “local” ace affiliate is 5 or so mi away on a heavy traffic non pedestrian street and they don’t quite have the cross section of megastores which is helpful when running between kids play dates and brownies and whatever else I don’t know is on the schedule until 15 min prior when I’m scrambling to get myself together and leave with one of them.

Couldn’t care less about HD or Lowe’s but there’s a reason they have the market share they do. Especially if they are as basic and worthless as some here think.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Either an orderly, managed redistribution, or a sudden, often quite violent one. Of course, any based on violence generally ends up in the same imbalance, just with different “winners”, and a lot of collateral carnage.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:57 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:41 pm
jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:37 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:04 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:33 pm That’s one of my originally points as well. This is happening in like 20 states but Ga is getting all the attention a little bit too late. Kemp is even pushing back on Bastian now
Kemp can push back all he wants, but this is going to get worse for him and the old guard in Georgia...and this will indeed spread to backlash in other states as well.

The GOP misread this, and over played their hand...across the country. The Big Lie and all of its repercussions, including Jan 6, makes for an unacceptable excuse for the voter restrictions play by the GOP.

Sounds like the corporate folks had weighed in and had successfully gotten the Georgia law moderated a bit before its passage (eg, got rid of the 'souls to the polls' issue), but were taken aback by the backlash themselves...and have since recognized that they needed to stand more firmly in opposition.

The water in line thing seems to have been the bit that was so egregious and easy to grasp that made the intent of the law so clear to even old white guys...but these are the smart old white guys who run major businesses; they have far greater exposure to consumer trends and values in the nation than do the 'old guard' knuckleheads in the legislatures of the red states.

Most "get it" that things need to change if US democracy actually will prevail over the command economies and political systems most notably represented by the Chinese...either we believe in our democracy being a strategic advantage, and make it work better, or we're doomed.
+1 Most people don't understand, capitalism and liberal democracy are not the same thing, but they do walk hand in hand in the most effective historicalimplementation.
Well...let's at least hope that we can prove that to be true in the coming era.

IMO, we need to double down on "democracy" and at the same time re-focus our national thinking to longer term desired outcomes.
Neither capitalism nor democracy limit our ability to do so. If we can't or don't the failing is not in our philosophy, it is in ourselves.
yup, the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but that we are underlings...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

It just occurred to me, there is an obvious ally for the activists that we have not mentioned - Hollywood. Lots of TV shows and movies are made in Georgia. Country's biggest film production location and a favorite of Brian Kemp. He is forever crowing about this fact. Surprised they have not weighed in yet. Supposedly to add an additional 40,000 jobs once we come out of COVID.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm It just occurred to me, there is an obvious ally for the activists that we have not mentioned - Hollywood. Lots of TV shows and movies are made in Georgia. Country's biggest film production location and a favorite of Brian Kemp. He is forever crowing about this fact. Surprised they have not weighed in yet. Supposedly to add an additional 40,000 jobs once we come out of COVID.

It’s probably useless to point out to someone like JHU72 that the new Georgia law actually extended voting hours and days. I think it’s too much to ask online combatants to actually know what they’re talking about.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:21 pm It just occurred to me, there is an obvious ally for the activists that we have not mentioned - Hollywood. Lots of TV shows and movies are made in Georgia. Country's biggest film production location and a favorite of Brian Kemp. He is forever crowing about this fact. Surprised they have not weighed in yet. Supposedly to add an additional 40,000 jobs once we come out of COVID.
... as it turns out VIACOM CBS came out with a statement in support of the activists about 11:30AM EDT.

Variety reporting.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Either an orderly, managed redistribution, or a sudden, often quite violent one. Of course, any based on violence generally ends up in the same imbalance, just with different “winners”, and a lot of collateral carnage.
I have a buddy who’s a weirdo but good cat, structural engineer who lives in western N.J. recall after moving down to Atlanta end of 2009 chatting with this guy, Jim, and he suggests we could be heading for a revolution coming out of the financial crisis. At the time I’m like “youre f**king crazy. I hear you about inequality and other considerations but that’s beyond my imagination.” He wasn’t advocating or talking crazy in terms of guns lovers Rocky Mountain types just concerned where this was heading. Well I still think about that chat these days too often. Arguably Tea Party/Trump/Jan 6 (plus ACA killing the filibuster and Supreme Court stacking) is at a minimum heading in that direction if not the start of one..
ggait

Post by ggait »

It’s probably useless to point out to someone like JHU72 that the new Georgia law actually extended voting hours and days. I think it’s too much to ask online combatants to actually know what they’re talking about.
Let's just look at one item to see exactly what Georgia is doing. The Georgia law fails even the lowest test for purported good faith.

Drop boxes.

My state of CO has the best voting system in the country. Convenient, secure, fair. No partisan BS allowed. Here's how we do drop boxes:

368 drop boxes state-wide in Colorado in 2020 (which is in addition to 330 voting centers). I can use any drop box I want -- Denver, Pueblo, Aspen, Fort Collins, etc. I'm not restricted to just the box in my precinct or county. One box for every 9,400 voters.

Required to be bolted to the ground, with 24/7 video surveillance and lighting required. Emptied regularly by teams of bipartisan election judges who maintain a chain of custody log between drop boxes and the central counting facility.

Open 24/7 for 3.5 weeks prior and through to Election Day. Which is critical since you can't reliably use the mail if you want to wait to vote until Monday or Tuesday. Public officials get out the word in the closing days for voters to use drop boxes rather than mail. Because of the plethora of drop boxes, CO doesn't have to mess around with post-marked ballots delivered by mail after Election Day. Votes are counted as received, so results are available within an hour or so of poll close on Election Night.

CO does it the way any normal person would do it -- if the goal is to make voting convenient, cost-effective, secure and fair.

Now let's look at how Georgia does drop boxes.

Only one per county is required. Counties are allowed to have more, but cannot have more than one per 100,000 registered voters. Why? Fulton County (1.1 million pop) had 40 boxes during 2020 election; maybe will have 8 for 2022. My county (300k pop) has 3X that.

GA drop boxes have to be located inside a building. So they are only available for use during regular business hours. Why? We all safely use outdoor secure mailboxes 24/7/168 to mail checks, legal documents, and ballots. So why do ballot drop boxes have to be inside?

GA drop boxes have to shut down four days before a election day. Why? The last four days are the most important days for drop boxes to be open. Since mail delivery of ballots at that point is uncertain.

There is simply NO RATIONAL BASIS for the Georgia law to authorize drop boxes, but then kneecap their use so severely. Unless the goal is to cough cough keep many young people and brown people from using them to vote.

It is just complete and obvious bull shirt. Which even a troll like Petey fully knows.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This is actually going to be interesting to follow. As you probably know the remaining Koch brother has recently acknowledged buyers remorse for blindly funding Republicans for 20yrs. Add to this voting rights being a very libertarian cause. Throw on that the Koch brothers hated the film tax credit business. Got it shut down in one nearby state, can’t recall if it was FL, Al or another but know from a friend who plays in that secondary market that they have killed and throw money at ending those subsidies. They I’m told had already been looking at moving on Georgia a year or two ago. So if Hollywood is out on Georgia and the Koch’s pile on that could easily kill that industry here. Won’t be the end of the world for the city or state which is incredibly diverse economically but is a key growth driver on the margin and has an appeal that helps the net migration into the state to continue.

Thing is the old guard money may not care about losing Hollywood but it’s enough to push them out ultimately.

Return to “POLITICS”