Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 am
laxfan1313 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:33 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am
old salt wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:03 am
a fan wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:32 pm
Final RPI top 16 from https://pro.lacrossereference.com/rpi-d ... ifospeivmd

rpi-final.jpg
When I see that list, and see all the teams with five+ losses, I'm reminded what a great year it's been for D1 lacrosse.

And this NCAA tournament is going to be great.
Homesick for Ann Arbor ? ;)
A little bit, yes, thank you for asking! Pretty proud to see where Conry and the players have taken the program.

Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.

And thank you to Coach Pietramala and Hopkins for playing in Ann Arbor all those years ago to help support Coach Paul's vision.

Hopkins has ALWAYS been there to help spread the sport....as much as it pains me as a lifelong Syracuse fan, a tip of the hat to Hopkins to help show donors "what might be" in Ann Arbor when it comes to lacrosse. They have a share in this, if you ask me. (and I know no one is asking)
Similarly, Richie Moran scheduled a home and home series in 1990 and 1991 Cornell-Notre Dame to help grow the sport in South Bend.
There used to be a guaranteed invitation for a "West" team which I remember benefiting ND and OSU. (1) Was that a formal rule, or an wink and a nod? (2) When was that eliminated?
Think it was a de facto AQ for the GWLL. League shut down in 2006 I believe.
might've been. but yes, 44, it was guaranteed for quite awhile. don't remember tosu benefitting, i remember notre dame and michigan state. maybe some air force. we were bounced as last out one year with nd or msu in there to get waxed.

at least one of the 2 teams came out alive.
10stone5

Re: NCAA Selection Discussion - Containment Thread

Post by 10stone5 »

Air Force got an invite to the 1st NCAA
almost definitely, a courtesy bid.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 am Air Force got an invite to the 1st NCAA
Was that a Scott Petosa team?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 am
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:14 am Air Force got an invite to the 1st NCAA
Not sure.
I only know about those Air Force teams because of one of the guys from my old school, a bit of a legend played at Air Force and then for Emmer at W&L.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

THE FIELD FOR the inaugural NCAA Tournament featured four automatic berths and four at-large berths.
The four automatic berths, determined on a regional basis, were Brown, Army, Virginia and undefeated Air Force
The four at-large teams were Cornell, Maryland, Hofstra and Navy.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ment/57943

Air Force coach was Jim Keating. Scott Petosa started as coach in 1985
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force ... s_lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:44 pm
THE FIELD FOR the inaugural NCAA Tournament featured four automatic berths and four at-large berths.
The four automatic berths, determined on a regional basis, were Brown, Army, Virginia and undefeated Air Force

Are you’re talking 1971, long before I was born, was thinking they made it in the late 80s.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, 1971, 10stone was talking about the 1st NCAA when undefeated Air Force got an invite on a regional basis.

Air Force under Petosa made the 1988 tournament, lost to Loyola in the 1st round.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 10:17 am
It was! Joe Vasta was on that team (I'm 90% sure).....was the All Time leading scorer in D1 at the time. Which is weird that that was allowed, because back then, they played DIII and Club teams.
a fan

Post by a fan »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:14 am
CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:53 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.
During today's Ivy final, Quint and Carc (who actually did need something else to talk about since the game in front of them was a complete blow-out) talked a fair amount about Michigan's success this year, and mentioned Paul several times as the person who started and guided the program through its early years, and who deserved significant credit for the current success.
Yes, and although I have no knowledge of the issues involved in Conry's hiring, seeing Paul's continued involvement, his stepping aside as HC shows that he and the admin handled the change in a class manner.
I missed that, thanks CU77. I can't speak for Coach Paul, but knowing the man just a wee bit, it wouldn't surprise me it all if he stepped aside to give UMich a more seasoned D1 Coach. Heckuva legacy to leave behind, and can't imagine anyone is more proud to see UMich earn a bid than Coach Paul.

UMich handled it well from where I sat, bearlaxfan......which was in the cheap seats.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:44 pm

Huh. I had NO IDEA they were in the 1971 NCAA tournament. Learn something new every day.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:22 pm Yes, 1971, 10stone was talking about the 1st NCAA when undefeated Air Force got an invite on a regional basis.
That makes a lot more sense,
that they were doing regional picks then.

I suppose that continued after Notre Dame went DI and started making tournaments.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:10 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 6:14 am
CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:53 am
a fan wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 12:30 am Still remember talking to coach Paul about his big plans 20 or so years ago. Someone needs to buy that man a dram.
During today's Ivy final, Quint and Carc (who actually did need something else to talk about since the game in front of them was a complete blow-out) talked a fair amount about Michigan's success this year, and mentioned Paul several times as the person who started and guided the program through its early years, and who deserved significant credit for the current success.
Yes, and although I have no knowledge of the issues involved in Conry's hiring, seeing Paul's continued involvement, his stepping aside as HC shows that he and the admin handled the change in a class manner.
I missed that, thanks CU77. I can't speak for Coach Paul, but knowing the man just a wee bit, it wouldn't surprise me it all if he stepped aside to give UMich a more seasoned D1 Coach. Heckuva legacy to leave behind, and can't imagine anyone is more proud to see UMich earn a bid than Coach Paul.

UMich handled it well from where I sat, bearlaxfan......which was in the cheap seats.
That was my take on Paul, that he did it for the good of the team.
I only say that because I followed UMs club team fairly closely due to some good Cali high school/prep players getting into the better club team, Arizona State, Brigham Young, U Colorado,

I recall also one of the LP regulars commenting on Arizona State and club ball in general.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:23 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 1:22 pm Yes, 1971, 10stone was talking about the 1st NCAA when undefeated Air Force got an invite on a regional basis.

I suppose that continued after Notre Dame went DI and started making tournaments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wes ... sse_League

The Tournament expanded to 10 teams in 1986 and then to 12 teams in in 1987. Outside of 1971 I don't see a regular bid for a Western participant until 1987.
The Western Region received a regular bid from 1987 until the GWLL was formed in '94 when the AQ system was adopted. In 2003 the tournament expanded to 16 teams.
old salt

Post by old salt »

laxpert wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:39 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 2:23 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Wes ... sse_League

The Tournament expanded to 10 teams in 1986 and then to 12 teams in in 1987. Outside of 1971 I don't see a regular bid for a Western participant until 1987.
The Western Region received a regular bid from 1987 until the GWLL was formed in '94 when the AQ system was adopted. In 2003 the tournament expanded to 16 teams.
In the years before the GWLL (87-93), the western region bid alternated between Air Force & Michigan State, until it went to Notre Dame in 90,92 & 93.
Last edited by old salt on Tue May 09, 2023 1:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

ND got bid in 90, 92, 93,
old salt

Post by old salt »

Suitcase wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 12:42 am ND got bid in 90, 92, 93,
Thanks -- MSU in 87,89,91 / AF in 88 / ND in 90,92,93. edit corrected my post above.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Some interesting teams got into the NCAAs during that stretch, “western” teams Michigan State as mentioned, Butler - and others like Adelphi and CW Post and New Hampshire -
Grow the Game.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:44 am Some interesting teams got into the NCAAs during that stretch, “western” teams Michigan State as mentioned, Butler - and others like Adelphi and CW Post and New Hampshire -
Grow the Game.
Stan Ross had that Butler team going places when they dropped it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

That's just so ridiculous to me that playing a few weak teams ruins ur RPI. Especially SU blew em all out with a total of 71 - 27. How can that hurt u I mean that tells I how the RPI is not great for picking tournament teams. That hurts ur chances yet losing in OT to Duke the number 1 team doesn't effect it at all? He's right to no big programs will give these small school an opportunity to play them and gain exposure. Just for the players on a small school to play in the dome and get exposure is a great opportunity but due to using a criteria like the RPI to make the tournament those kids will never get that opportunity anymore. I get it if u lose to those teams but when u out score them 71 - 27 that should not effect u at all. Maybe not help u but shouldn't bring ur RPI down. Cmonn this is 2023 come up with something better to figure out which teams deserve to make .

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”