Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxgunea

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Laxgunea »

With the injury problems we've had the past few years, and knowing Datillas was recovering last week, I hope we pull the plug rather than play outside. Of course, a game in the Bubble would be great, and we could easily schedule them mid-week later in the season in Hamilton next year. I'd hate to lose the 'gate game. We've had some thrillers over the years. But it isn't worth injury, esp. in a rebuilding year and when there is an easy alternative. Sunday should touch 40 degrees, so that is also a sensible option.
BTW, I do think the team benefits from a game this Saturday. Facing Cornell will be tough enough on its own, but facing them while still sitting on the second half Lehigh spanking would be terrible. I don't see this as a resilient team yet, and a mauling fron Cornell might put them down for the count. On the other hand, a solid rebound, win or lose, against Colgate, will help them develop the maturity they need.
I also want to see how the goalie situation plays out this week!
henryben

Post by henryben »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:00 pm
FMUBart wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:19 am Scheduling outdoor lax games in February is cray-cray. Better off not playing vs playing in those temps. Colgate could be a midweek game down the line..
Unfortunately the lacrosse season ends right when spring weather really gets nice.
I've always wanted lacrosse to turn into a fall sport. Best weather of the year.
But too much competition for fields and kids with football and soccer probably kill that discussion.
FWIW - I've got a kid on the Colgate team and as of a few hours ago, no word on a rescheduling.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:54 am
Laxbuck wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:13 am If Hobart is so prestigious academically, which I am not disputing, why aren’t players transferring in to complete their eligibility? With such great academics and a bucolic setting I don’t see how the A-10 schools have any hope of competing for championships
I expicitly avoided saying that but there are kids they don't waive the door open for. LaCalandria had issues at his prior school.

You keep making arguments that aren't germane to Hobart or grounded in fact when 5-7 kids on the roster of 61 have come back under grad programs the last two years. So throw kids off the team to take some grad student from Wagner or LIU, two programs we beat consistently? Or convince Pricneton kids that aren't going to grad school at SJU to come to Geneva? I don't understand the point you are making with grad transfers. It's college not the G League feeding into the NBA.

The biggest problem we had in the 2000s was Matt Kerwick waiving talented kids who weren't a good fit in. That led to the grandson of a board member dying from an Oxy overdose (Kim Kimber), massive outflow transfers who weren't playing immediately (see Jeff Ryan wanting Darryl Veltman's spot on the field) which for a tuition dependent school (like SJU) is a massive problem for managing the YOY budget and ultimately our prior AD panicking and making a poor and nationally embarrassing attempt to backdoor the program back to D3.

Understand the institution more if you want to make an argument about it. Or ask about the nature of the institution. An example would be not making a case based on Derrek Madonna going to Richmond and not being aware his brother started there last year and had 37pts as a Soph while ignoring all the grad students that have come back the last two years causing significant roster bloat as was pointed out within a page on this thread.
Hey Hobart played LIU twice and lost the first game then won the 2nd in a high scoring affair by two and only due to LIU losing two All NEC defenseman who were suspended from ten St Joes game. Threw Will Mark off losing them and there backups were not even half the players. Now Hobart does have a better program and this yr would crush them since all their top players transferred and the new coach refuses to play young guys with more talent for seniors who were backups for 3 yrs. Idk what you guys were even talking about I just saw that comment that Hobart always beat LIU. Last the loss to Hobart was an upset to LIU ppl as LIU hung 20 on Bart but let up 22 with backups on D and the worst game of Will Marks career. LIU had talent last yr but no depth as it shows this yr with losing players and the backups are not D 1 level talent. Anyway I'm only joking around because I know u love Bart which I respect and respect ur program and history. This yr Bart would beat LIU by at least 8 goals. There brutal to watch and frustrating as they have a 3 star freshman goalie but won't play young guys so a careee backup is playing. Same with some other talented freshman standing on the sideline instead of playing and developing. The team would actually be better due to these young kids being more talented then these seniors who didn't step on the field for 3 yrs. Yeah I'm frustrated so I have to hang on to the past haha
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

you don't sound like much of an liu fan. no offense. ripping players that have stuck with the program, supported others, likely gotten better, and earned a spot on the field. that's generally admirable. i'm fairly sure the head coach has the best idea in the world of who his best players are and i know for a fact he has a vested interest in putting his best team out there.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DoubleD wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:54 am
Laxbuck wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:13 am If Hobart is so prestigious academically, which I am not disputing, why aren’t players transferring in to complete their eligibility? With such great academics and a bucolic setting I don’t see how the A-10 schools have any hope of competing for championships
I expicitly avoided saying that but there are kids they don't waive the door open for. LaCalandria had issues at his prior school.

You keep making arguments that aren't germane to Hobart or grounded in fact when 5-7 kids on the roster of 61 have come back under grad programs the last two years. So throw kids off the team to take some grad student from Wagner or LIU, two programs we beat consistently? Or convince Pricneton kids that aren't going to grad school at SJU to come to Geneva? I don't understand the point you are making with grad transfers. It's college not the G League feeding into the NBA.

The biggest problem we had in the 2000s was Matt Kerwick waiving talented kids who weren't a good fit in. That led to the grandson of a board member dying from an Oxy overdose (Kim Kimber), massive outflow transfers who weren't playing immediately (see Jeff Ryan wanting Darryl Veltman's spot on the field) which for a tuition dependent school (like SJU) is a massive problem for managing the YOY budget and ultimately our prior AD panicking and making a poor and nationally embarrassing attempt to backdoor the program back to D3.

Understand the institution more if you want to make an argument about it. Or ask about the nature of the institution. An example would be not making a case based on Derrek Madonna going to Richmond and not being aware his brother started there last year and had 37pts as a Soph while ignoring all the grad students that have come back the last two years causing significant roster bloat as was pointed out within a page on this thread.
Hey Hobart played LIU twice and lost the first game then won the 2nd in a high scoring affair by two and only due to LIU losing two All NEC defenseman who were suspended from ten St Joes game. Threw Will Mark off losing them and there backups were not even half the players. Now Hobart does have a better program and this yr would crush them since all their top players transferred and the new coach refuses to play young guys with more talent for seniors who were backups for 3 yrs. Idk what you guys were even talking about I just saw that comment that Hobart always beat LIU. Last the loss to Hobart was an upset to LIU ppl as LIU hung 20 on Bart but let up 22 with backups on D and the worst game of Will Marks career. LIU had talent last yr but no depth as it shows this yr with losing players and the backups are not D 1 level talent. Anyway I'm only joking around because I know u love Bart which I respect and respect ur program and history. This yr Bart would beat LIU by at least 8 goals. There brutal to watch and frustrating as they have a 3 star freshman goalie but won't play young guys so a careee backup is playing. Same with some other talented freshman standing on the sideline instead of playing and developing. The team would actually be better due to these young kids being more talented then these seniors who didn't step on the field for 3 yrs. Yeah I'm frustrated so I have to hang on to the past haha
And this is why a LIU kid isn’t considering transferring Hobart, folks.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

On the west coast this weekend but have to assume if they haven’t called it by now that it’s game on?
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:09 am On the west coast this weekend but have to assume if they haven’t called it by now that it’s game on?
Snowed 2" here overnight. Close enough to Hamilton to expect that it was the same there. Just checked the Weather Channel for fun. It's 11 degrees and snowing in Hamilton. Supposed to warm up to 26 during the day with continued snow. The Lehigh at Cornell game is still on. Guess they're crazy over there as well. My major concern is that someone is going to get injured in these conditions. Just go ahead and postpone the game already. Gotta believe the decision not to play in the bubble rests entirely with the Colgate staff. Maybe we should consider dropping them in the future and replacing them with Bucknell or someone like that. We have history with the Bison as well and the series was always very competitive. I'm just venting now. Playing in the snow won't be the same for both teams. Hobart is a Ferrari. Colgate is four-wheel drive. Guess who comes out on top.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:25 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:09 am On the west coast this weekend but have to assume if they haven’t called it by now that it’s game on?
Snowed 2" here overnight. Close enough to Hamilton to expect that it was the same there. Just checked the Weather Channel for fun. It's 11 degrees and snowing in Hamilton. Supposed to warm up to 26 during the day with continued snow. The Lehigh at Cornell game is still on. Guess they're crazy over there as well. My major concern is that someone is going to get injured in these conditions. Just go ahead and postpone the game already. Gotta believe the decision not to play in the bubble rests entirely with the Colgate staff. Maybe we should consider dropping them in the future and replacing them with Bucknell or someone like that. We have history with the Bison as well and the series was always very competitive. I'm just venting now. Playing in the snow won't be the same for both teams. Hobart is a Ferrari. Colgate is four-wheel drive. Guess who comes out on top.
I keep thinking back to swapping home Cornell and Cuse games to the dome - even if we were the home team for the Cornell game. If Gate wants to run it there and doesn’t care then it goes back to “is this a long term counterparty we want?”. Cancel games, insist on having their home field despite conditions when there’s an easy and acceptable alternative, etc. Realize coaches and relationships change over time but we don’t need this stuff long term.

Would love Bucknell back, kept them many years after we left the PL and their HC is a Bart alum. Plus the streaker. I’ll volunteer for that in order to distract Furlong and Davis so their shots end up 50ft off target as I presume their accuracy would decline if their vomiting in their mouth while shooting.

Have to assume Coach R keeps Dattellas and anyone nicked up out today especially if he did by choice at Lehigh.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Football is played in cold snowy weather, so what's the difference? I guess if you come out in shorts you're going to suffer. If I were a head coach in the north I would want to get the best clothing for my lacrosse players... what's on the market that's warm? After all these years of playing lacrosse you would think that problem would be solved.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

SMAIN wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:53 am Football is played in cold snowy weather, so what's the difference? I guess if you come out in shorts you're going to suffer. If I were a head coach in the north I would want to get the best clothing for my lacrosse players... what's on the market that's warm? After all these years of playing lacrosse you would think that problem would be solved.
So according to what you're saying, lacrosse should just become a winter sport? Why not? The difference in lacrosse is that you're holding a frozen titanium shaft with frozen hands. While physical, lacrosse is also a skill sport. Snow takes that aspect of the sport away. As I said, we'll see how the Hobart Ferrari (read: team built on quickness and speed, offense oriented) does against the Colgate four-wheel drive (read: slower, more physical, defense oriented team) in the snow. These conditions are not something favoring the Statesmen.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:53 am Football is played in cold snowy weather, so what's the difference? I guess if you come out in shorts you're going to suffer. If I were a head coach in the north I would want to get the best clothing for my lacrosse players... what's on the market that's warm? After all these years of playing lacrosse you would think that problem would be solved.
I used to hate proscribed on the frozen ground out on the practice field behind Odell’s. Getting a crack back block from a serious hitter didn’t feel as bad as the landing on the frozen ground.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:04 pm you don't sound like much of an liu fan. no offense. ripping players that have stuck with the program, supported others, likely gotten better, and earned a spot on the field. that's generally admirable. i'm fairly sure the head coach has the best idea in the world of who his best players are and i know for a fact he has a vested interest in putting his best team out there.
Well listen a lot of Alumni aren't happy seeing backups playinc and getting blown out when there is talented freshman standing on the sidelines. LIU lost there too 5 players to the transfer portal and by how u talk every coach is a great coach and knows best. I actually like the new coach but some coaches don't believe in playing young guys. I happen to believe in playing young kids. Why do you always comment on my opinions ? It's got nothing to do with you. I have read some of ur posts and u actually think u know everything and more then most so who are you to judge my comments? Mind ur business I wasn't even speaking to you. I don't jump in when u talk down to ppl thinking ur Mr Lax. I honestly don't care that ur opinion. Oh again not every coach is a great coach and knows best. That's why some lose and get fired. This new coach I think is a very good coach and knows the game. He will have the team winning very soon. I just don't agree with not playing young guys. They have a 3 star freshman goalie on the sideline for a goalie who was 3rd string last few yrs. This is college not HS so yeah my opinion is you play the talented freshman while developing them and a good chance the team is more competitive. I am a fan of LIU have been around the program since winning the national championship in 1996. I can believe in a coach but not agree about playinc young guys. Some coaches do it and some don't like to do it. Now go back and look at some of your arrogant posts and leave mine alone.
Bart

Post by Bart »

DoubleD wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:19 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:04 pm you don't sound like much of an liu fan. no offense. ripping players that have stuck with the program, supported others, likely gotten better, and earned a spot on the field. that's generally admirable. i'm fairly sure the head coach has the best idea in the world of who his best players are and i know for a fact he has a vested interest in putting his best team out there.
Well listen a lot of Alumni aren't happy seeing backups playinc and getting blown out when there is talented freshman standing on the sidelines. LIU lost there too 5 players to the transfer portal and by how u talk every coach is a great coach and knows best. I actually like the new coach but some coaches don't believe in playing young guys. I happen to believe in playing young kids. Why do you always comment on my opinions ? It's got nothing to do with you. I have read some of ur posts and u actually think u know everything and more then most so who are you to judge my comments? Mind ur business I wasn't even speaking to you. I don't jump in when u talk down to ppl thinking ur Mr Lax. I honestly don't care that ur opinion. Oh again not every coach is a great coach and knows best. That's why some lose and get fired. This new coach I think is a very good coach and knows the game. He will have the team winning very soon. I just don't agree with not playing young guys. They have a 3 star freshman goalie on the sideline for a goalie who was 3rd string last few yrs. This is college not HS so yeah my opinion is you play the talented freshman while developing them and a good chance the team is more competitive. I am a fan of LIU have been around the program since winning the national championship in 1996. I can believe in a coach but not agree about playinc young guys. Some coaches do it and some don't like to do it. Now go back and look at some of your arrogant posts and leave mine alone.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

The Hobart schedule says that the game starts at 12:00, but ESPN+ says 1:00. Does anyone know which is correct?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:29 am
DoubleD wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:19 am
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Makes me look rational.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Cold and snowy in Geneva. Imagine the same for Hamilton, but probably colder. They are still doing this thing? Any word on time yet?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s on but I can’t find it on espn at all
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

ESPN+ says that the game will start at 1:00?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

It's on. I found it on ESPN+. You'll have to search under the lacrosse heading, as it isn't a featured game. Also, it's a terrible game to watch. Snow covering the field, so white ball on a white background. Camera guy can't follow the ball. No traction. Tied at 1-1. Will be a boring game to watch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Finally got into it here. Had to go different route in an AirBnB with guest setting on roku so missed up to 3-1

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”