Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by rolldodge »

Nice win on the road minus 1st team AA goalie against a good team with an outstanding fogo. Reilly showed he belongs in the top tier. Great to see Haley step up when a team tries to short stick him. Let’s hope McElroy returns soon.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Forgot to give props to Scharfenberger who came up big in the 4th Quarter! Nice to be able to win a game like this with your freshman goalie.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Really impressed with how Reilly battled out there today. Also very encouraging to see the attack outscore the midfield for once.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Haley playing like last year’s player is a great sign he is getting healthy. Watson is just lethal and possibly one of most under talked about major players in the country. Reilly is a gamer no doubt. Great job and was really almost 50/50 win on draws. Hoyas just lost a couple gb battles that kept his % deceptively low. Off ball defense was oddly poor yesterday. Need to clean that up. McElroy should be back a week from Saturday. Denver at Denver This weekend will be another big test, especially without McElroy (although Scharfenberger played well as game went on and made two huge saves in 4th). Bottom line Lehigh is a very good team, goalie was on fire in 2nd half, have a great FOGO and Hoyas still found a way to win.

Let’s go Hoyas!
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Saw this Inside Lacrosse article - Hoyas have the 2nd ranked defense in efficiency and 4th ranked offense in efficiency. Pretty impressive considering the tough schedule.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/59249
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

biggypacking off of HGK's point, by far the best TJ Haley's looked all year and he looked significantly more mobile. Loved seeing him demand the ball as he got going throughout the game and making smart decisions as he always does. Haley's progression as well as continuing to build midfield depth will be key in how far this team will go this season.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Hoyafan123 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:37 am biggypacking off of HGK's point, by far the best TJ Haley's looked all year and he looked significantly more mobile. Loved seeing him demand the ball as he got going throughout the game and making smart decisions as he always does. Haley's progression as well as continuing to build midfield depth will be key in how far this team will go this season.
Agree 100%. Hopefully we can build midfield depth in some of the “easier” BE games. If Haley is at top speed then the offense is a real handful. Barring injuries I think all other aspects of the team are set.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

I think one final point I would make about this 2022 team that gets me excited is that they really haven't played a full 60 min game/their best lacrosse yet. While they have had spurts (the first half of Notre Dame game is a prime example) they haven't played a full 60 minutes yet which makes me excited that this team still has a lot more room to grow as we move towards May. One actual benefit of the hoyas not playing a full 60 minutes is that they have been in a lot of tight 4th quarter games after a 3rd quarter slump. Penn, Notre, Richmand, Lehigh, Princeton, Georgetown has had to battle back from scoring slumps in the 3rd to pull away in the 4th. To win a national championship, teams need to have experience battling in the 4th where typically the sticks are tightest and nerves kick in and Gtown has had that experience this year.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

How many teams have actually played their best for 60 minutes? You could say that about every team in D1, except maybe Maryland vs UVA?
HGK

Post by HGK »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:39 pm How many teams have actually played their best for 60 minutes? You could say that about every team in D1, except maybe Maryland vs UVA?
I don’t want to speak for hoyafan but i think the point he was making may be a bit unique to Georgetown. Clearly nobody ex UMD has arguably played 60 minutes of great lacrosse. I believe the point is that against ND, Richmond and Lehigh the Hoyas were in full control and basically gave it all back in the 3rd quarter of each game.

So two takeaways - 1) says a lot that they stemmed the bleed and won going away in each case, when they could have rolled over.
2) nobody is going to play a perfect game but if the 3rd quarter letdowns can be cleaned up, this team can be very dangerous.
Hoyafan123

Post by Hoyafan123 »

I meant exactly what HGK just said. I should have articulated my point better
HOFWOF

Post by HOFWOF »

Out of the loop - is Owen hurt?
HGK

Post by HGK »

He will be back next week or the following. And that was 60 minutes of very good lacrosse right there!

Let’s go Hoyas!
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:09 pm He will be back next week or the following. And that was 60 minutes of very good lacrosse right there!

Let’s go Hoyas!
So much for concerns about the attack, mid game droughts and the full 60 minutes. That was a total beat down!
HGK

Post by HGK »

Amazing the difference with Haley playing more like last year as he finally seems healthy. Him wanting the ball now and driving and creating opportunities for himself or others is a massive difference maker for the offense as opposed to early in year when he was just moving it along. With Haley, Bundy and Trippi all able to create for themselves or others this offense is really getting dangerous. Some off ball D still has to be cleaned up and the silly shot clock delay of games were not great to see but overall that was some performance. And Bowen keeping Hannah to zero points is pretty darn impressive.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Unless there’s a meltdown,
Hoya’s are looking at a solid number two seed in the
NCAA tournament,

Villanova ramped up their offense, they’re faster paced, yes,
but they’re still looking like number two in the Big East.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Bowen erased Hannah
Reilly continues to impress
No McElroy
Most goals given up at home at Denver in the Tierney era

I thought this game was going to be really close. I was wrong. Great win for the Hoyas
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:09 pm He will be back next week or the following. And that was 60 minutes of very good lacrosse right there!

Let’s go Hoyas!
First quarter was still a little weak. Defense played soft. But, boy, when they decided to turn it on, they sure did. And proving that it’s not just McElroy that makes them great. Another very solid effort for Scharfenberger.

Score could have been much worse. DU goalie played fantastic also.

Love seeing Morin break out of his slump and Haley coming on strong. Offense continues to be disciplined and smart with shots. Clearly the #2 team in the country right now. Gotta stay focused!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Score could have been much worse. DU goalie played fantastic also.
Week in week out, every year,
Pios would say the same thing, the goaltending.
Maybe they’ll start looking at things flat on.

Pios have not kept up with the Hoyas nor, now,
Villanova, and I believe there may have been a bump up
recently in scholarships at Villanova.

Then again,
Scott Marr has no more Thompson’s or Fields
he can recruit.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”