University of Maryland Terrapins

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

How are the mighty fallen

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Once mighty Maryland vs ranked teams since their last national championship in 2019. (2020 through 2024)

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10
28-24 vs Ranked teams overall.

If you want a real eye opener (I don't feel like crunching the numbers) go back and look at their record vs. ranked teams from 2015 through 2019.
LaxDadMax

Re: University of Maryland Terrapins

Post by LaxDadMax »

Will be interesting to see if this is the year that Cathy decides to hit the portal aggressively.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: How are the mighty fallen

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm Once mighty Maryland vs ranked teams since their last national championship in 2019. (2020 through 2024)

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10

If you want a real eye opener (I don't feel like crunching the numbers) go back and look at their record vs. ranked teams from 2015 through 2019.
Maryland won three national championships while compiling 110 wins and 5 losses from 2015 through 2019. The five losses:

'15 #20 Ohio State in semifinal of Big 10 tournament
'16 #3 North Carolina in national championship game
'18 #7 North Carolina regular season; #1 Boston College in national semifinal game
'19 #5 Northwestern in Big 10 final
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 pm Will be interesting to see if this is the year that Cathy decides to hit the portal aggressively.
Maybe. I checked who they have coming in next year and they have some great 24’s coming. Some seasoned talent wouldn’t hurt. Everyone loves to hate on the terps, they had a better season than most teams.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

McLax9777 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:16 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:49 pm Will be interesting to see if this is the year that Cathy decides to hit the portal aggressively.
Maybe. I checked who they have coming in next year and they have some great 24’s coming. Some seasoned talent wouldn’t hurt. Everyone loves to hate on the terps, they had a better season than most teams.
Terps had a good year for most teams, and it was good for their recent years, but compared to their history it was another disappointing year. Players don’t commit to Maryland expecting to lose in the final 4. I say this as a casual Maryland fan. The need to reinvent the wheel and create a new brand of lacrosse in college park that suits the players they have.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:44 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 1:09 pm Once mighty Maryland vs ranked teams since their last national championship in 2019. (2020 through 2024)

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10

Maryland won three national championships while compiling 110 wins and 5 losses from 2015 through 2019. The five losses:

'18 #7 North Carolina regular season; #1 Boston College in national semifinal game
At least some of those were Taylor Cummings years so that certainly helped. Watched her play in the world cup 2022 and she was still amazing.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

McLax9777 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:16 pm
Maryland has always drawn talented lacrosse players, though. Also, maybe next year's incoming class is successful at the high school level, but do they have the size and athleticism it takes to really compete at the top of Division I?
OuttaNowhereWregget

WLaxdad wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 8:28 am At least some of those were Taylor Cummings years so that certainly helped. Watched her play in the world cup 2022 and she was still amazing.
She was indeed. I was surprised at how much fire she still had for the game.

Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

The thing about woman’s lacrosse is that to me only the championship makes a successful season. The final four means more in the grueling men’s lacrosse gauntlet. I’d just as soon not make the tournament than get boat raced like BC last year in the finals. The Terps are not contenders in their present form. KAH and northwestern went 11 years without a title. Is Cathy Reese up for a rebuild and paradigm change because Northwestern girls don’t want to wear skirts. They play a tough and athletic brand that used to get more penalty calls but the game is changing and allowing more physical and tough play. KAH loves it but I’m not sure Cathy can deal with it.

After 5 years of not being true contenders outside the Cordingly year I feel Cathy has to at least replace her assistants. They have been there too long and are too comfortable. If they haven’t been offered head coaching jobs or if they have turned them down then I don’t want them. One of them was laughing on the sidelines when the Terps were getting boat-raced by Florida. Like I said too comfortable and secure.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm The thing about woman’s lacrosse is that to me only the championship makes a successful season. The final four means more in the grueling men’s lacrosse gauntlet. I’d just as soon not make the tournament than get boat raced like BC last year in the finals. The Terps are not contenders in their present form. KAH and northwestern went 11 years without a title. Is Cathy Reese up for a rebuild and paradigm change because Northwestern girls don’t want to wear skirts. They play a tough and athletic brand that used to get more penalty calls but the game is changing and allowing more physical and tough play. KAH loves it but I’m not sure Cathy can deal with it.

After 5 years of not being true contenders outside the Cordingly year I feel Cathy has to at least replace her assistants. They have been there too long and are too comfortable. If they haven’t been offered head coaching jobs or if they have turned them down then I don’t want them. One of them was laughing on the sidelines when the Terps were getting boat-raced by Florida. Like I said too comfortable and secure.
And Cathy was laughing with her.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10

How about the fact that under Cathy Reese, from her first year in 2007 until last season in 2023, Maryland had lost at HOME ONLY 6 TIMES (only TWICE in fact before COVID). But this year, MARYLAND lost that SAME AMOUNT in one season - again, 6 losses at home in the previous 17 seasons and 6 losses at home in just 2024. Yes, mighty has fallen and have fallen hard. And recruits/portal aren't going to change that.

2007-2023 SEASONS HOME LOSSES (6 in 17 years)
3/10/12 vs Syracuse 9-10
5/5/19 vs Northwestern 11-16
2/15/20 vs Florida 14-15
2/29/20 vs Syracuse 5-10
3/26/22 vs James Madison 8-13
3/5/23 vs Denver 7-8

2024 SEASON HOME LOSSES (6 in 1 year)
2/24/24 vs Florida 12-13
3/27/24 vs Penn 9-13
4/6/24 vs Northwestern 9-17
4/13/24 vs Penn State 11-12
4/27/24 vs Rutgers 8-9
5/16/24 vs Florida 8-9
OuttaNowhereWregget

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm The thing about woman’s lacrosse is that to me only the championship makes a successful season.
For a certain few teams--absolutely. Only a national championship ultimately makes a successful season for these teams--Boston College, North Carolina, Maryland, Northwestern... I don't know who else gets put in this group. JMU? Syracuse? Loyola?
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm The final four means more in the grueling men’s lacrosse gauntlet. I’d just as soon not make the tournament than get boat raced like BC last year in the finals. The Terps are not contenders in their present form. KAH and northwestern went 11 years without a title. Is Cathy Reese up for a rebuild and paradigm change because Northwestern girls don’t want to wear skirts. They play a tough and athletic brand that used to get more penalty calls but the game is changing and allowing more physical and tough play. KAH loves it but I’m not sure Cathy can deal with it.

After 5 years of not being true contenders outside the Cordingley year I feel Cathy has to at least replace her assistants. They have been there too long and are too comfortable. If they haven’t been offered head coaching jobs or if they have turned them down then I don’t want them. One of them was laughing on the sidelines when the Terps were getting boat-raced by Florida. Like I said too comfortable and secure.
I never thought the Cordingley Terps were a threat to win it all. She was ridiculously over rated as soon as she landed in the Old Line State. She was a nifty player for Hop, but she didn't end up being a player to depend on. Her performance vs BC in the national semi was a good example:
1 goal, 1 assist, 3 turnovers, including the one that ended up tying the game.

If Reese doesn't get the players, she won't win any more hardware on the national level.
OuttaNowhereWregget

intheknow247 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:49 pm

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10

How about the fact that under Cathy Reese, from her first year in 2007 until last season in 2023, Maryland had lost at HOME ONLY 6 TIMES (only TWICE in fact before COVID). But this year, MARYLAND lost that SAME AMOUNT in one season - again, 6 losses at home in the previous 17 seasons and 6 losses at home in just 2024. Yes, mighty has fallen and have fallen hard. And recruits/portal aren't going to change that.

2007-2023 SEASONS HOME LOSSES (6 in 17 years)
3/10/12 vs Syracuse 9-10
5/5/19 vs Northwestern 11-16 (This game was played at Martin Stadium for the Big 10 final)
2/15/20 vs Florida 14-15
2/29/20 vs Syracuse 5-10
3/5/23 vs Denver 7-8

2/24/24 vs Florida 12-13
3/27/24 vs Penn 9-13
4/27/24 vs Rutgers 8-9
5/16/24 vs Florida 9-15
Couple small tweaks above
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:14 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm The thing about woman’s lacrosse is that to me only the championship makes a successful season.
For a certain few teams--absolutely. Only a national championship ultimately makes a successful season for these teams--Boston College, North Carolina, Maryland, Northwestern... I don't know who else gets put in this group. JMU? Syracuse? Loyola?
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm The final four means more in the grueling men’s lacrosse gauntlet. I’d just as soon not make the tournament than get boat raced like BC last year in the finals. The Terps are not contenders in their present form. KAH and northwestern went 11 years without a title. Is Cathy Reese up for a rebuild and paradigm change because Northwestern girls don’t want to wear skirts. They play a tough and athletic brand that used to get more penalty calls but the game is changing and allowing more physical and tough play. KAH loves it but I’m not sure Cathy can deal with it.

After 5 years of not being true contenders outside the Cordingley year I feel Cathy has to at least replace her assistants. They have been there too long and are too comfortable. If they haven’t been offered head coaching jobs or if they have turned them down then I don’t want them. One of them was laughing on the sidelines when the Terps were getting boat-raced by Florida. Like I said too comfortable and secure.
I never thought the Cordingley Terps were a threat to win it all. She was ridiculously over rated as soon as she landed in the Old Line State. She was a nifty player for Hop, but she didn't end up being a player to depend on. Her performance vs BC in the national semi was a good example:

If Reese doesn't get the players, she won't win any more hardware on the national level.
Cordingley was face guarded the whole game which took her out. Without that the Terps would have won that game. Good strategy
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Essexfenwick wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 2:14 pm

Cordingley was face guarded the whole game which took her out. Without that the Terps would have won that game. Good strategy
This. Rory was a huge difference maker for that team. All you have to do is look at the results the 2 years prior and the 2 years since with basically the same core players. The May(s), Leubecker, Ahearn, Smith, etc. group has shown they needed an alpha on offense that could initiate. The only time they were a really good team in the last 5 years was when Rory was there. Rory wasn't a Tewy finalist that year by accident.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cordingley was part of the reason the Terps lost

The fact that she was face guarded only proves my point. If she was the stud the Maryland hype machine made her out to be, she would have found a way around the face guard. Izzy Scane gets face guarded often, I'm sure. I attended a game at Boston College one year when Navy face guarded Sam Apuzzo. She scored 9 goals.

Aurora Cordingley was a good, not great player on a Maryland team that had a relatively easy schedule that year. The Terps were front runners in '22. Who really challenged them before BC? I never considered Cordingley to be an alpha player. Maryland didn't lose the semi to BC because she was face guarded--they lost because they choked.

These three mindless turnovers allowed BC to steal the game. Cordingley contributed in a big way as she didn't protect the ball late while her team was clinging to a one goal lead.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Lets also give credit to relentless middie play by BC. True two way middy play. Few other teams have this.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 8:40 am Lets also give credit to relentless middie play by BC. True two way middy play. Few other teams have this.
He speaks the truth...
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

EDITS made - H/T ONW.

And it is even more ahhhhhhhhh!!!
intheknow247 wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 1:49 pm

4-10 vs Top 5
9-14 vs Top 10

How about the fact that under Cathy Reese, from her first year in 2007 until last season in 2023, Maryland had lost at HOME ONLY 5 TIMES. But this year, MARYLAND LOST MORE THAN THAT IN ONE SEASON ALONE - again, 5 losses at home in the previous 17 seasons and 6 losses at home in just 2024. Yes, mighty has fallen and have fallen hard. And recruits/portal aren't going to change that.

2007-2023 SEASONS HOME LOSSES (5 in 17 years)
3/10/12 vs Syracuse 9-10
2/15/20 vs Florida 14-15
2/29/20 vs Syracuse 5-10
3/5/23 vs Denver 7-8

2/24/24 vs Florida 12-13
3/27/24 vs Penn 9-13
4/27/24 vs Rutgers 8-9
5/16/24 vs Florida 9-15
OuttaNowhereWregget

intheknow247 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:02 am EDITS made - H/T ONW.

And it is even more ahhhhhhhhh!!!
Thank you, sir.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”