New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by DMac »

Geezuz H, Larry, you have become just crazy negative and way over the top critical. No, he's not giving the UWLX too much credit, they're the ones who slapped college lax in the face with their new game/rules and said, here, this is the way the game should be played. If the college wlax world was talking about it they should have got off their asz and done it but they didn't. The credit does go to the UWLX for the game we're seeing in college wlax today.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

The shot clock was actually approved in 2015, but it wasn't implemented until 2017 to give programs time to make facility changes needed to implement the rule. As for freedom of movement - I don't think that idea was totally unique or original to UWLX, the NCAA rules committee, or women's lacrosse in general. From what I understood, the rule was compared to the one in field hockey (where movement after the whistle is allowed). It's allowed in soccer as well.

I think the UWLX was helpful as a league in which rule changes could be done experimentally without going through the much longer and formal process of changing NCAA rules. USLacrosse Mag did an interview in August 2017 and Sailer was quoted as saying some of the rules needed tweaking as they were played out. So it wasn't perfect. It's hard to track down when "discussion" of the rule changes started, but there's overlap in the personnel involved in the UWLX and on the NCAA Rules Committee. For example Jen Adams, aka GOAT, was NCAA rules committee chair when the rule changes took place and was also head coach for the Baltimore Ride.

While I have experience in running a small business in youth sports, I don't think it compares much to running a professional league. Just my 2 cents is that I think the centralized model is kind of needed. I imagine running things under one league and group of players is a lot cheaper than having a team based out of a city and each team being partially or fully responsible for funding themselves. Cuts travel costs as well. That's just speculation though on my part.

Aubartolomei I really appreciate the insight. You definitely have a unique perspective in all of this!

I think Larry's criticism comes from a place of passion, the same place that DMac's fervent praise comes from. In my experience, both types are needed in order to make something like a business succeed.

August 2017 article: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... osse-rules
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

"I think Larry's criticism comes from a place of passion, the same place that DMac's fervent praise comes from. In my experience, both types are needed in order to make something like a business succeed."

Every partnership, even one as raggedy as ours, needs a diplomat. Thanks from the rank and file.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:38 am Geezuz H, Larry, you have become just crazy negative and way over the top critical. No, he's not giving the UWLX too much credit, they're the ones who slapped college lax in the face with their new game/rules and said, here, this is the way the game should be played. If the college wlax world was talking about it they should have got off their asz and done it but they didn't. The credit does go to the UWLX for the game we're seeing in college wlax today.

I have found no proof of that claim. I'm all for giving credit where it is deserved, but I'm not doing so without proof. I just want to be accurate and fair.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 pm The shot clock was actually approved in 2015, but it wasn't implemented until 2017 to give programs time to make facility changes needed to implement the rule. As for freedom of movement - I don't think that idea was totally unique or original to UWLX, the NCAA rules committee, or women's lacrosse in general. From what I understood, the rule was compared to the one in field hockey (where movement after the whistle is allowed). It's allowed in soccer as well.

I think the UWLX was helpful as a league in which rule changes could be done experimentally without going through the much longer and formal process of changing NCAA rules. USLacrosse Mag did an interview in August 2017 and Sailer was quoted as saying some of the rules needed tweaking as they were played out. So it wasn't perfect. It's hard to track down when "discussion" of the rule changes started, but there's overlap in the personnel involved in the UWLX and on the NCAA Rules Committee. For example Jen Adams, aka GOAT, was NCAA rules committee chair when the rule changes took place and was also head coach for the Baltimore Ride.

While I have experience in running a small business in youth sports, I don't think it compares much to running a professional league. Just my 2 cents is that I think the centralized model is kind of needed. I imagine running things under one league and group of players is a lot cheaper than having a team based out of a city and each team being partially or fully responsible for funding themselves. Cuts travel costs as well. That's just speculation though on my part.

Aubartolomei I really appreciate the insight. You definitely have a unique perspective in all of this!

I think Larry's criticism comes from a place of passion, the same place that DMac's fervent praise comes from. In my experience, both types are needed in order to make something like a business succeed.

If memory serves me correctly, the rules 'Tweeking' talk actually started in 2013 and 2014. The UWLX was founded in 2015, started play in 2016 and ceased operations in 2018.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:35 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:19 pm The shot clock was actually approved in 2015, but it wasn't implemented until 2017 to give programs time to make facility changes needed to implement the rule. As for freedom of movement - I don't think that idea was totally unique or original to UWLX, the NCAA rules committee, or women's lacrosse in general. From what I understood, the rule was compared to the one in field hockey (where movement after the whistle is allowed). It's allowed in soccer as well.

If memory serves me correctly, the rules 'Tweeking' talk actually started in 2013 and 2014. The UWLX was founded in 2015, started play in 2016 and ceased operations in 2018.
Yes. In the article DeJuliis was specifically talking about tweaking the 2m non-engagement zone they had been playing with (when a foul is called, free movement is allowed, but there is a 2m non-engagement zone around the player awarded the ball). Not tweaking of the rules in general, but tweaking one of the new rules they had been playing with. Should have been more specific.
OuttaNowhereWregget

AU Pro Sports talk and more podcast

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

On the latest episode of Playing Catch-Up, @rachael_dececco @hqgriggs and @abmurray01 catch up on the @AUProSports champion, what they'd like to see in season two, the @NCAALAX coaching carousel, @USAWLax sixes & more.

https://twitter.com/ilwomen/status/1431 ... 86215?s=21
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:39 pm "I think Larry's criticism comes from a place of passion, the same place that DMac's fervent praise comes from. In my experience, both types are needed in order to make something like a business succeed."

Every partnership, even one as raggedy as ours, needs a diplomat. Thanks from the rank and file.
:)
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

AU is back for season 2 with 15 draft picks:

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
4. Aurora Cordingley (UMD)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
8. Ally Mastroianni (UNC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
11. Paulina Difatta (Pitt)
12. Livy Rosenzwaig (Loyola)
13. Emily Hawryschuk (Cuse)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
15. Arielle Weissman (UMich)
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:00 pm AU is back for season 2 with 15 draft picks:

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:05 pm
glaxer24 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:00 pm AU is back for season 2 with 15 draft picks:

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

If they constantly mix up the teams, does the order even matter?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:14 pm

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

Well if order didn’t matter then they would just randomly throw out names and not have picks 1 through 15. Just suprised expected AM to go #3
OuttaNowhereWregget

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
12. Livy Rosenzwaig* (Loyola)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
*Rosenzweig
OuttaNowhereWregget

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

So true. Meshugana league.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:39 pm

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

Well if order didn’t matter then they would just randomly throw out names and not have picks 1 through 15. Just suprised expected AM to go #3
Yes that’s what I’m getting at haha. Isn’t there another “draft” where teams are selected from the player pool by captains? And so wouldn’t order me more telling there? But even then…it would kind of depend on who your captain is
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:41 pm

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

Yes that’s what I’m getting at haha. Isn’t there another “draft” where teams are selected from the player pool by captains? And so wouldn’t order me more telling there? But even then…it would kind of depend on who your captain is

Yes, each week players are drafted onto teams by 4 captains. I think AU is trying to compare to other pro sports by ranking their draft picks in an attempt to draw viewers which is understandble.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:39 pm

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
12. Livy Rosenzwaig* (Loyola)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
*Rosenzweig
Thanks for the correction! I even double checked and still got it wrong :oops: . *Rosenzweig
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:41 pm

1. Charlotte North (BC)
2. Jamie Ortega (UNC)
3. Emma Trenchard (UNC)
5. Taylor Moreno (UNC)
6. Sydney Watson (UConn)
7. Courtney Taylor (BC)
9. Lauren Gilbert (NU)
10. Jill Girardi (NU)
14. Ally Palermo (NU)
Watson over Mastro?

Yes, each week players are drafted onto teams by 4 captains. I think AU is trying to compare to other pro sports by ranking their draft picks in an attempt to draw viewers which is understandble.
It is definitely understandable
DMac

Post by DMac »

No names on there that surprise me, love this league and the play (I know some don't).
I'd think this version of the game is right up the lightening rod that is North's alley. #1
pick makes sense....not when you throw in the mix it all up anyway element but not surprising
nonetheless.
Hope we can get some decent commentators.

Never noticed the Stanwick unbelievable mangling/mispronunciation...never noticed an over use
of the word either. Have noticed that she draws her Ws almost into an L, as in drawl control. She's
not the only person I've heard do that though. She's outstanding, my fav (well, next to Ms Downunda).
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 9:42 pm No names on there that surprise me, love this league and the play (I know some don't).
I'd think this version of the game is right up the lightening rod that is North's alley. #1
pick makes sense....not when you throw in the mix it all up anyway element but not surprising
nonetheless.
Hope we can get some decent commentators.

Never noticed the Stanwick unbelievable mangling/mispronunciation...never noticed an over use
of the word either. Have noticed that she draws her Ws almost into an L, as in drawl control. She's
not the only person I've heard do that though. She's outstanding, my fav (well, next to Ms Downunda).

I will probably watch this league again, but I'm not gettin crazy about their draft or anything else. I'll be housebound most of the Summer so I'll be the modern day version of The Prisoner(starring Patrick McGoohan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JrNr85 ... l=24fpsfan

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”