Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:29 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:04 pm What the hell is a swife army knife?
I think it's kind of like a swiss army kniss.
I suppose that’s better than a Swiss Army bris.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The uniform on the far right looks like a footy/soccer kit with its vertical stripes. The light blue (umm, fluorescent Columbia-ish blue?) ones are less bad, but the big Atlas logo gives them a Little League aspect.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The Blue Jay laden IL team advanced to the finals today. If you're in the area and have a free afternoon, head to Homewood at 3pm. The game will also be streamed live on the ESPN app. 11 future Jays on the squad including three incoming freshmen. I think they're playing a team with many ND and Loyola grads. For those watching at home:

#1 - Cam Chauvette (2020 attack)
#2 - Jakson Raposo (2020 middie)
#5 - Ryan Harkin (2020 middie)
#6 - Dylan Bauer (2020 attack)
#7 - Michael DiMarsico (2020 goalie)
#8 - Johnathan Peshko (2020 middie)
#16 - Casey McDermott (2020 attack)
#18 - Hunter Jaronski (2019 defense)
#19 - Jack Ruddy (2019 defense)
#20 - Edward Glassmeyer (2019 middie)
#21 - Ryan Evans (2020 middie)
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am The uniform on the far right looks like a footy/soccer kit with its vertical stripes. The light blue (umm, fluorescent Columbia-ish blue?) ones are less bad, but the big Atlas logo gives them a Little League aspect.
I'd never seen a pro lacrosse jersey out in the wild but I saw a 99 Rabil Atlas one on a 28 year old bro at a breakfast spot yesterday. I don't know how much $ they're making but people are buying in like they didn't with other pro leagues.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:37 pm The Blue Jay laden IL team advanced to the finals today. If you're in the area and have a free afternoon, head to Homewood at 3pm. The game will also be streamed live on the ESPN app. 11 future Jays on the squad including three incoming freshmen. I think they're playing a team with many ND and Loyola grads. For those watching at home:

#1 - Cam Chauvette (2020 attack)
#2 - Jakson Raposo (2020 middie)
#5 - Ryan Harkin (2020 middie)
#6 - Dylan Bauer (2020 attack)
#7 - Michael DiMarsico (2020 goalie)
#8 - Johnathan Peshko (2020 middie)
#16 - Casey McDermott (2020 attack)
#18 - Hunter Jaronski (2019 defense)
#19 - Jack Ruddy (2019 defense)
#20 - Edward Glassmeyer (2019 middie)
#21 - Ryan Evans (2020 middie)
Team Blue Jay wins. They all acquitted themselves well but I was impressed by a few guys in particular.

Jaronski - a true "swife army knife" as someone recently said, played up top, down low, on the wings, and even took a faceoff. "Controlled aggression" is probably the best way to describe him. He throws a lot of big checks but never seems to be out of control. Really disruptive defender. Reminds me a tad bit of a righty Pat Foley. Hopefully Petro lets him play that way. He's going to find the field somehow someway.

Ruddy - A giant who covers a ton of ground, huge wingspan, he was covering a much smaller and quicker attackman at X/around GLE but very much held his own, staying on hands

DiMarsico - I think he won the game MVP—played the first half and allowed just 1 goal vs. 6 or 7 saves, many of them of the sprawling variety. Looked equally comfortable on shots high and low

Chauvette - Feel like he's gotten a little lost in the shuffle amid the other 2020 attackmen like Grimes, McDermott, Bauer, etc., but he had a nice game with two goals including a perfectly placed low bouncer off a spin dodge from the wing. A little Canadian flavor to his game—probably the Culver influence

Glassmeyer - Definitely an SSDM, also played wings and keyed transition a few times. Best of all, he is not a munchkin. I repeat—non munchkin. Looks to have adequate speed, size, and instincts for the position. Will be someone to watch
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am The uniform on the far right looks like a footy/soccer kit with its vertical stripes. The light blue (umm, fluorescent Columbia-ish blue?) ones are less bad, but the big Atlas logo gives them a Little League aspect.
The pro soccer resemblance is intentional. Even the name. The Premier League is Europe's big soccer league.
Sports Illustrated wrote: The PLL is also paying attention to the smaller details. Take uniforms, for example. Working with its apparel partner, Adidas, the league created what they see as a more “wearable” product by changing the cut and fit of their jerseys. They veered away from the traditional boxy, baggy lacrosse look and instead mirrored the t-shirt style look in professional soccer. https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019/05/ ... artups-nbc
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Any news about Foley or Concannon?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Drcthru wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 pm Any news about Foley or Concannon?
Concannon is returning for a fifth year and will play. Still haven’t heard about Foley one way or the other.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

New AD
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

From the Hopkins web-site:

"Baker graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a degree in aerospace engineering and was a member of the Academy's women's lacrosse club team. After the Naval Academy, Baker spent seven years in the Navy, including three years as a pilot and four as a construction manager and facilities engineer. She later earned an MBA and a master's in mechanical engineering from Cornell."

I would hazard a guess most athletic directors do not have the above on their CVs

Also have to give props to 'ol Alanna who in a very short time turned the AD job into Vice Provost for Student Affairs - well played
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:51 pm From the Hopkins web-site:

"Baker graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a degree in aerospace engineering and was a member of the Academy's women's lacrosse club team. After the Naval Academy, Baker spent seven years in the Navy, including three years as a pilot and four as a construction manager and facilities engineer. She later earned an MBA and a master's in mechanical engineering from Cornell."

I would hazard a guess most athletic directors do not have the above on their CVs

Also have to give props to 'ol Alanna who in a very short time turned the AD job into Vice Provost for Student Affairs - well played
Oh man, she is the perfect person to test a select few posters' loyalties. On the one hand, she is a Daniels hire and protege. Gulp. But on the other, she's a sailor!

What does this mean for lacrosse? Probably nothing. She is a Baltimore native who grew up playing lacrosse so I'm sure she values the importance of the programs. Also think it's mildly interesting that she worked for Under Armor, which should help in re-upping our contract with them. That may not matter to you old timers but the youngins really like the new UA uniforms, gear, equipment, etc. It's a nontrivial part of recruiting these days.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

UA has had its problems in the last few years.

Alanna is working on a major impact project on campus in addition to her normal duties.

I was wondering when the press release would come out
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

So that means Navy is always on top and in control of JHU, regardless of who JHU plays. ;) :D
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm So that means Navy is always on top and in control of JHU, regardless of who JHU plays. ;) :D
It might if she'd been made Pres! :lol:

With that CV, I'm somewhat surprised that she didn't get a better job than AD.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Damn, sounds as if things are going to be ship shape at the Hop, mighty impressive.
Wonder if she'll bring some of that military fitness to her program representatives?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I think one first order of business will be to harpoon assholish opposing fans.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Take care, with thy harpooning.
It is customary to have two harpoons reposing in the crotch, respectively called the first and second irons.

But these two harpoons, each by its own cord, are both connected with the line; the object being this: to dart them both, if possible, one instantly after the other into the same whale; so that if, in the coming drag, one should draw out, the other may still retain a hold. It is a doubling of the chances. But it very often happens that owing to the instantaneous, violent, convulsive running of the whale upon receiving the first iron, it becomes impossible for the harpooneer, however lightning-like in his movements, to pitch the second iron into him. Nevertheless, as the second iron is already connected with the line, and the line is running, hence that weapon must, at all events, be anticipatingly tossed out of the boat, somehow and somewhere; else the most terrible jeopardy would involve all hands. Tumbled into the water, it accordingly is in such cases; the spare coils of box line (mentioned in a preceding chapter) making this feat, in most instances, prudently practicable. But this critical act is not always unattended with the saddest and most fatal casualties.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 am Take care, with thy harpooning.
It is customary to have two harpoons reposing in the crotch, respectively called the first and second irons.

But these two harpoons, each by its own cord, are both connected with the line; the object being this: to dart them both, if possible, one instantly after the other into the same whale; so that if, in the coming drag, one should draw out, the other may still retain a hold. It is a doubling of the chances. But it very often happens that owing to the instantaneous, violent, convulsive running of the whale upon receiving the first iron, it becomes impossible for the harpooneer, however lightning-like in his movements, to pitch the second iron into him. Nevertheless, as the second iron is already connected with the line, and the line is running, hence that weapon must, at all events, be anticipatingly tossed out of the boat, somehow and somewhere; else the most terrible jeopardy would involve all hands. Tumbled into the water, it accordingly is in such cases; the spare coils of box line (mentioned in a preceding chapter) making this feat, in most instances, prudently practicable. But this critical act is not always unattended with the saddest and most fatal casualties.
Melville?
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm UA has had its problems in the last few years.

Alanna is working on a major impact project on campus in addition to her normal duties.

I was wondering when the press release would come out
So do you mean to say that Alanna was in charge of the new Student Center going up (or will go up) where or near the Mattins Center?

Honestly, the entire move raises all kinds of questions.
1) Reading this link https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/08/06/student- ... tructuring demonstrates why college education costs outpace inflation. Does one really need a vice provost for student health and well-being when you have a vice provost for student affairs which doesn't even cover the Dean of Student Life's role.

2) Why wasn't the AD opening publicily announced and outside candidates looked at? We couldn't find another Daniels lapdog out there? I am sure there are plenty.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”