NCAA Football

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: NCAA Football

Post by Brooklyn »

Army-Navy clash was fun:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 15aq1su48r

They turning point was a fake punt which allowed Navy to maintain a drive for 9+ minutes. To me, the game MVP was LB Diego Fagot who took the snap (much to his surprise) and got a first down. All throughout he stopped Army drives including a last minute drive in which he stopped the QB in an option.

Army QB Christian Anderson threw well but there were two dropped passes which were critical to the Knights drives.

Overall, I'd say the key to the victory was Coach Ken Niumatalolo's game plan. Navy controlled the ball more and kept the Knights off the field. They effectively neutralized LB Arik Smith and made him into a non factor.

Kudos to Navy.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

The Army/Navy game was one where every play mattered. It was all out for both teams until the end...
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NoLeft wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 pm The Army/Navy game was one where every play mattered. It was all out for both teams until the end...
You know, I had the same impression. Normally the game is quite intense. But somehow, I got the idea that this game yesterday was even more intense than usual. Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo just had the better game plan.

I remember a couple of years ago where there had been some talk that maybe he was on his way out. Am glad he stayed. Hope he stays there for the duration of his career.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Unless I am mistaken, the Sun Bowl was not listed:

http://www.sunbowl.org/

molo

Post by molo »

As the parent of a Georgia grad who currently teaches at Alabama, I have to admit I was more than a little worried in the fourth quarter for a while. The team that was the best for most of the season pulled it out.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Good second half adjustments (especially on defense) by the Bulldogs. Very poor judgment by Bama's secondary.

Kudos to the Dawgs for the National Championship.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Absolutely love that the walk-on qb beat the Heisman winner.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Big Ten to expand by including USC & UCLA:

https://theathletic.com/news/usc-ucla-b ... i1kz0RAuh/

USC and UCLA will leave the Pac-12 Conference for the Big Ten in 2024 at the conclusion of the Pac-12's existing media rights agreement. Big Ten presidents and athletic directors held a meeting Wednesday night on the topic and voted Thursday on the additions, and the two new member schools made official announcements Thursday night with a start date of Aug. 2, 2024.

Earlier, the SEC expanded with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas. Commentators are now calling B10 & SEC the Power Two conferences. Now there is speculation as to whether Notre Dame will join either one. If my understanding is correct, the Fighting Irish are contractually obligated to join the ACC if they do decide to align themselves. But with their money endowment, they should easily be able to buy out such a contract provision.

The Big 12 also expanded with the addition of Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF. But none of those schools have major football teams. Will be interesting to see if these schools make a major upgrade in their programs.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Alcorn State marching band - much pageantry, awesome precision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_X9Mt1 ... roductions

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

My ticket stub and program from the 1966 classic. The first of 3 games I attended. Took special game day train from suburbs right to JFK Stadium. We got there early to see the parade into the stadium. Can’t smell a cigar without having a flashback to that game atmosphere. Much to my disappointment Navy lost 20-7.
3B70A795-EB7B-4477-8C55-4DAB41BDDA37.jpeg
3B70A795-EB7B-4477-8C55-4DAB41BDDA37.jpeg (118.32 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
85AC2072-8F78-420F-A8C9-EB6704F10885.jpeg
85AC2072-8F78-420F-A8C9-EB6704F10885.jpeg (115.09 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

The Army-Navy game is an unforgettable experience, it's quite a spectacle. My brother and I went to the '73 game when Navy beat Army 51-0. Navy was just cruising while Army was stuck in the mud.
Looked down at the cheerleaders and isn't my favorite HS lax teammate (he knew to cut when I had the ball, we worked well together) one of them. Kinda couldn't believe my eyes. Hooked up with him after the game and the stories are probably best left untold, good times. He went on to become Captain of the '74 lax team, very good player. Retired from the Navy, helicopter pilot, was always a sharp and squared away kid.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Was also at the ‘71 game and the centennial game in 1999 at Veterans Stadium. Watched from a corporate luxury box situated above the Navy section won by the Mids, 19-9. My ears were ringing from all the cannon fire during and after the game.
F94ED3E6-5F2E-42CB-A279-F0F05F8C5FD8.jpeg
F94ED3E6-5F2E-42CB-A279-F0F05F8C5FD8.jpeg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Helluva win by UT over Bama.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:38 pm Helluva win by UT over Bama.
Absolutely - my alma mater has seen too many games slip away, but they got this one. I think the winning field goal was actually tipped (barely) which is why the ball traveled with such a big wobble.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:26 pm
Absolutely - my alma mater has seen too many games slip away, but they got this one. I think the winning field goal was actually tipped (barely) which is why the ball traveled with such a big wobble.
Congrats!
~Livy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Great clip....Coach Prime at JSU

~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

Lot to like about Coach Prime there, really good interview.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RedFromMI wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:26 pm
I’ve been a UT fan since late in Jonny majors run and think eve finally aid off our sentence for hiring Lane Kiffin.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”