movies worth mentioning

Movies, TV, and Music
Brooklyn

Re: movies worth mentioning

Post by Brooklyn »

Impact (1949) film noir

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_(film)

Movie ran a bit long - very luxurious setting and costuming which is unusual for a film noir. You would have thought that the budget for the movie would have been considerably more generous. It was rated a ★★★ ½ but I thought that's a bit generous. Good movie, just the same with some interesting though limited socio-political dialog. Script writer was Dorothy Davenport whose screenplays and movies often dealt with moral issues:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothy_Davenport
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

City Island (2009)
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The Informer 1929 + Man of Aran 1934

Two movies for the St Paddy's Day holiday.

Say, whatever happened to our old pal Gypo Nolan?

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Last edited by Brooklyn on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Charlie Chan In Shanghai [1935]

✸ ✸ ✸ ½ ✸

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0026199/

Warner Oland was my fave Chan. Very entertaining movie with good setting.

tech37

Post by tech37 »

Both The Favourite and Can You Ever Forgive Me are excellent. Richard E. Grant is great in the latter.

Has anyone seen a little-known British comedy (George Harrison's Hand Made Films) from the late 80's called Withnail and I ? A much younger Grant plays a down-and-out, alcoholic actor (Withnail) who goes on holiday with his friend (I). There are some unforgettable, very funny characters in this film. I'm not sure how it will hold up but I found it in a local library and plan to watch again.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/withnail_and_i

FYI: It held up :D
Last edited by tech37 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A Night For A Crime [1943]

'screwball' comedy which rates perhaps a two + a half star

Glenda Farrell was an interesting actress from that era. She appeared in several movies as Torchy Blaine in the 1930s, a tough Hollywood reporter:

This has been said to be the inspiration for Lois Lane.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Reap the Wild Wind - 1942

✸ ✸ ✸

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reap_the_Wild_Wind

So rare to see John Wayne get second billing. But a good movie, with loads of action, some comedy, and scenery.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capricorn_One

✸ ✸ ✸ ½ ✸

Features one of the greatest chase scenes of all time. Conspiracy buffs will love this one.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

✸ ✸ ½ to ✸ ✸ ✸

Featured some political commentary that may not sit entirely well with the right wing politically correct crowd but it had its moments.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Both sci fi flics from the 1970s. Each perhaps a ✸ ✸ ½ to ✸ ✸ ✸. They had their moments and some deep dialog. But overall, just a bit too long or at least that they seemed that way.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

A forgotten classic:

✸ ✸ ✸ ½ ✸

They don't make them like these anymore.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

10 Best Films of 2018
1-Free Solo
2- Vice
3- The Rider
4- Leave No Trace
5- Won't You Be My Neighbor
6- Beautiful Boy
7- Boy Erased
8- Green Book
9- You Were Never Really Here
10- Eighth Grade
More: Border, Blindspotting, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Searching, Bohemian Rhapsody.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

The Rider looks good, but gut wrenching. I'm not sure I'll be able to pull the trigger on that one. I know a handful of rodeo folks, and it can be bleak.

Leave No Trace was soooooooo depressing. Though the acting was great. Directionless characters in the PNW is tough to watch.

I like to see a good beat down every now and then, and I love Joaquin Phoenix, so I thought I would get some real pleasure out of You Were Never Really Here. Unfortunately, Lynn Ramsey directed it so we knew it had to ultimately be underscored with 'progressive' ques and winks. She's pretty unbearable if you've seen her other stuff. Though, the guy who played the governor,Alessandra Nivola, is a wonderful actor. If you haven't seen Junebug, he is excellent in that. I don't know why he is not in more stuff.

Still haven't seen Green Book, but I've heard really good things.

I watched Never Cry Wolf (1983) for the first time in 30 years, and it is absolutely out of this world. It's now in my top 5 of all time. Carrol Ballard also directed The Black Stallion, which is also in the top 5. Never Cry Wolf is truly some of the best filmmaking of all time. I plan on watching Wind (1992) this weekend. It's a sailing flick starring Jennifer Grey and Matthew Modine, so obviously it will be excellent.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Big hit back in the day but largely forgotten nowadays. Too bad as it is one of the true gems of the year.

✦✦✦✦

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I again watched Bogie's "The Harder They Come" and "The Left Hand of God" but believe I previously reviewed them on the old forum. Great entertainment with social messages that remain relevant to this day.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

http://www.filmmisery.com/master-moment ... n-sedagiv/

Young Frankenstein

✸ ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

One of the greatest comedies of all time. Never stops making me laugh.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092007/

✸ ✸ ✸ ½ to ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

I learned a new term from the movie: "colorful metaphors" which denote profanity and other niceties - :lol:

Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Brooklyn wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:37 am Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092007/

✸ ✸ ✸ ½ to ✸ ✸ ✸ ✸

I learned a new term from the movie: "colorful metaphors" which denote profanity and other niceties - :lol:
I liked it
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Sicario and Sicario: Day of the Soldado - fantastic movies....Josh Brolin and Maximiliano Hernández crush it!!

Return to “MOVIES, TV, AND MUSIC”