UNC 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CloutierPoutine

Re: UNC 2025

Post by CloutierPoutine »

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/co ... sion-i-men

2024 record: 7-7 (1-3 Atlantic Coast)

Last seen: Rolling Duke 15-12 on April 27 in the regular-season finale to snap a five-game losing streak, though it wasn’t enough to secure a place in the ACC tournament.

Projected starts lost: 60 of 140 (42.9 percent)
Projected scoring departing: 90 of 279 points (32.3 percent)

Initial forecast: Owen Duffy (32 goals, 22 assists) and Dominic Pietramala (32 G, 11 A) showed plenty of promise in the collegiate debut seasons, and along with defenseman Peter Thomann and faceoff ace Brady Wambach (.611), they provide more than a flicker of hope for a program that’s been right around .500 the last three seasons.

The addition of Princeton graduate transfer Michael Gianforcaro provides a strong solution to replacing four-year starter Collin Krieg in the cage. But to put things bluntly, North Carolina needs to generate steady production from its first midfield to even flirt with being a top-10 team, and that hasn’t happened since it rolled out a bunch of fifth-year stalwarts on the way to the NCAA semifinals in 2021.

The good news? Spencer Wirtheim (15 G, 13 A at Cornell) arrives as a grad transfer and should help. Nick Dupuis (16 G, 50 A at Stony Brook) should fit in somewhere as well.

In a best-case scenario, the Tar Heels are on a similar track as Syracuse, which played a lot of freshmen in 2023 on a team that won just one league game and then became an NCAA quarterfinalist. Worst case? It’s more of the same for a program with a 3-13 ACC record over the last three years and Carolina acquits itself well in non-conference play before struggling for much of April.
CloutierPoutine

Pretty disrespectful to our returning talent but we have done nothing to warrant respect recently so here we are...
CloutierPoutine

Also mentioning Thomann but not Barton seems a little silly?
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:49 am Pretty disrespectful to our returning talent but we have done nothing to warrant respect recently so here we are...
Disappointing results since '21 but Heels were overdue to have a few "avg" yrs. Cuse was dropping during Desko's last few yrs, they made the change and are reaping the rewards. Hoos made that move earlier, and Lars hasn't looked back. ND was so close for years, now they've broken through to elite status. dook has won plenty since the tragedy of what they did to Pressler, but not having a title with BO on the roster for 4 yrs feels like failure over in derm.

I know JB pi$$ed some folks close to program off during the C Gray yrs, relegating talented offensive players to 2nd fiddle as everything ran through #4 (see Shuey Kelly's commit to Gtown). That said, by the end of last season I think he'd gotten the msg (with a shorter extension) that the talent coming in the '24 commits, and that of arguably more talented commits in '25, the time is now. I think the last home game vs dook was a good example of tinkering with the D & O sets and good grief did it work. Heels were up 9 in that game before taking their feet off the gas and limping to the W.

Excited and hopeful to see more progress in early '25. Attack unit should one of the strongest in the country, D is good/not great, and you're right, mids need to get up to speed quick
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:52 am Also mentioning Thomann but not Barton seems a little silly?
Seems like the writer was only mentioning Freshman studs from last year.

Either way, UNC has a lot to prove this year.

Hoping for a healthy Duffy, smooth transition for transfers, and some new faces to help out in the middle of the field and on D. Also hoping we get all of our 25 commits to sign for NLI. No more flips...
CloutierPoutine

thegman wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:51 pm
CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 11:49 am Pretty disrespectful to our returning talent but we have done nothing to warrant respect recently so here we are...
Disappointing results since '21 but Heels were overdue to have a few "avg" yrs. Cuse was dropping during Desko's last few yrs, they made the change and are reaping the rewards. Hoos made that move earlier, and Lars hasn't looked back. ND was so close for years, now they've broken through to elite status. dook has won plenty since the tragedy of what they did to Pressler, but not having a title with BO on the roster for 4 yrs feels like failure over in derm.

I know JB pi$$ed some folks close to program off during the C Gray yrs, relegating talented offensive players to 2nd fiddle as everything ran through #4 (see Shuey Kelly's commit to Gtown). That said, by the end of last season I think he'd gotten the msg (with a shorter extension) that the talent coming in the '24 commits, and that of arguably more talented commits in '25, the time is now. I think the last home game vs dook was a good example of tinkering with the D & O sets and good grief did it work. Heels were up 9 in that game before taking their feet off the gas and limping to the W.

Excited and hopeful to see more progress in early '25. Attack unit should one of the strongest in the country, D is good/not great, and you're right, mids need to get up to speed quick
Was there any doubt that Chris Gray was a better player than Jacob Kelly?
thegman

Post by thegman »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 1:45 pm

No, stats don't lie.

But coaches aren't just coaches. They're the on-site "dads" to these kids for 9 mos a year, PR firm, diplomatic corps, CEO, and marketers for their programs. Jake Kelly is one of sev Kelly boys but don't forget Bryan is the HC at Calvert Hall, a perennial contender in the MIAA. If you're JB, maybe you handle that relationship a little differently than he did. That was my only point. I don't know a thing about Shuey's recruitment (and am totally speculating here) but living under the same roof with dad and Daniel, he prob had a bad taste in his mouth re: UNC. I've also wondered about Tucker Wade's recruitment. His dad Ryan was a stud for the Heels in the early 90s and Heels missed on Tucker (but, Princeton is Princeton. If he was my kid, I prob would've steered him to Princeton too.)
XLdad

Post by XLdad »

We will see what UNC is in early Oct...Hearing a Yale fall game in Baltimore..
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

XLdad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 4:38 pm We will see what UNC is in early Oct...Hearing a Yale fall game in Baltimore..
That would be great. I’ll have to look back at when Yale has played its fallball games in the past to see if I can block out the likely weekends and go see that one since it’s just down the road.
Laxfan016

Post by Laxfan016 »

thegman wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:11 am

No, stats don't lie.

But coaches aren't just coaches. They're the on-site "dads" to these kids for 9 mos a year, PR firm, diplomatic corps, CEO, and marketers for their programs. Jake Kelly is one of sev Kelly boys but don't forget Bryan is the HC at Calvert Hall, a perennial contender in the MIAA. If you're JB, maybe you handle that relationship a little differently than he did. That was my only point. I don't know a thing about Shuey's recruitment (and am totally speculating here) but living under the same roof with dad and Daniel, he prob had a bad taste in his mouth re: UNC. I've also wondered about Tucker Wade's recruitment. His dad Ryan was a stud for the Heels in the early 90s and Heels missed on Tucker (but, Princeton is Princeton. If he was my kid, I prob would've steered him to Princeton too.)
Thats an interesting take. But I think the Kellys have been so tied to UNC that I don't think there was a big relationship breakdown. If you think about it Daniel decommitted the year they went to the final four, and Jacob stayed all 4 years and just left for 5th year. Also sometimes you gotta chalk it up to kids wanting to take a different path or experience. I mean if all your cousins and older brothers went to UNC, the attraction to something different could be easily happen. Coach kelly always host the MB thumb up game at Calvert every year, so there might not be bad blood
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxfan016 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 3:02 am
thegman wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:11 am
Thats an interesting take. But I think the Kellys have been so tied to UNC that I don't think there was a big relationship breakdown. If you think about it Daniel decommitted the year they went to the final four, and Jacob stayed all 4 years and just left for 5th year. Also sometimes you gotta chalk it up to kids wanting to take a different path or experience. I mean if all your cousins and older brothers went to UNC, the attraction to something different could be easily happen. Coach kelly always host the MB thumb up game at Calvert every year, so there might not be bad blood

When was the last MB thumb up game held at Calvert Hall? Went to a few, really cool event!!! Could be wrong but, don't think it's been hosted by BK/CHC for a few years. Possibly coinciding w Daniels decommit? Not sure but, it actually might suggest there is more there than the eye can see. Who knows?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

UNC with three 2026 commits in 3 days...

4-Star Jackson Bond LSM/D (TX) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBRMHYUduM&t=29s
4-Star Carter Martin LSM/D (NC) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DND_DWiYpVU
Unrated Luke Koman Mid (MO) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1dihqgHEsU
thegman

Post by thegman »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:29 am UNC with three 2026 commits in 3 days...

4-Star Jackson Bond LSM/D (TX) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuBRMHYUduM&t=29s
IL just added '26 4 star Henry Boyd (#31 in the class/McCallie School) to that list. I'm hearing rumors of another 4 star (top 50/lefty attack) likely to commit to the Heels as well.
CloutierPoutine

thegman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:58 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:29 am UNC with three 2026 commits in 3 days...

IL just added '26 4 star Henry Boyd (#31 in the class/McCallie School) to that list. I'm hearing rumors of another 4 star (top 50/lefty attack) likely to commit to the Heels as well.
Off to a great start on the recruiting trail! We know that part is rarely the problem with UNC. Would love to add some impact Poles this class to compliment 2024 and 2025's midfield recruiting.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

thegman wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:58 pm

https://imlca.sportsrecruits.com/athlet ... 80%A2%203d

This Boyd kid is pretty good. Not the fastest but big bodied and 2-handed. I like him.

Another 2026 (2025 reclass) is 3-Star Mike Savage out of NH but reclassing at Lawrenceville. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcHBbKtopTU
CloutierPoutine

Another St. Anthony's commit in Charlie Cacciabaudo. Do not know much about him but happy to continue building the Long Island pipeline. Used to think a St. A kid was a Duke lock, but we have really recruited the school well the past few cycles.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:26 am Another St. Anthony's commit in Charlie Cacciabaudo. Do not know much about him but happy to continue building the Long Island pipeline. Used to think a St. A kid was a Duke lock, but we have really recruited the school well the past few cycles.
4Star Offball righty. When he's carrying the ball, you can see it's a lil unorthodox and prob why he's a crease rat. Not the biggest fan of offball righty's but he looks like he can score it... and being from St. A's helps... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUSGqnwr5UQ
CloutierPoutine

Notre Dame is blazing hot on the recruiting trail right now sheeeeesh. Already three of the IL Top 10 players committed including the #1 overall player to build on a stellar 2025 class. Time for UNC to step up and put Notre Dame down.
CloutierPoutine

UNC lands its first 5 Star of the 2026 cycle in Timmy Plunkett out of Iona Prep. Here is IL's write up:

Plunkett is a violent shooter and a physical dodger who also plays with speed and energy. Plunkett will garner a ton of attention over the course of the remainder of the summer and early into the fall.

He's a special blend of skill, athleticism, fearlessness, strength and much more all in one player.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Another 4-Star. 2026 Paul Wable out of Choate... looks like he'll be a mean d-middie at the next level. Lays some big hits and hard checks. Fast and tough, prototypical ACC dmid. I like this kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv-29alzrlg

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”