NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: NIL, Title IX, Power 5, future of Lax et al

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:39 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:32 pm Even so-called “non-revenue” sports generate money for someone … just look at the college sports events that populate the ESPN streaming service, including lacrosse. ESPN is not showing those sports on their streaming and cable television platforms out of charity.

All college athletes should be unionized if their school is part of any media deal. Negotiated deals will vary by conference, but all college athletes should get a proportional share of the revenue.

DocBarrister
You know ESPN is less than three years from being another cow for PE to “milk and churn” right?
PE firms are like the aliens in Independence Day … destructive locusts that move from target to target. A day of reckoning will come, just as it did for the mortgage-backed security scam/industry.

DocBarrister
Should partners and associates, doctors and janitors get a proportional share of the revenues?
I assume you meant to say, "Each team gets a proportional share of the net revenues" (though leave it up to somebody to say that net can be gamed more easily than gross), and then the union and the employer can negotiate individual compensation by dividing that share of the net revenue.
But while union compensation structures tend to flatten compensation across employees, they will not be truly flat in a just agreement.
A starter will need more than a bench-warmer; a quarterback more than a tackle.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:38 am
DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 6:32 pm Even so-called “non-revenue” sports generate money for someone … just look at the college sports events that populate the ESPN streaming service, including lacrosse. ESPN is not showing those sports on their streaming and cable television platforms out of charity.

All college athletes should be unionized if their school is part of any media deal. Negotiated deals will vary by conference, but all college athletes should get a proportional share of the revenue.

DocBarrister
You know ESPN is less than three years from being another cow for PE to “milk and churn” right?
PE firms are like the aliens in Independence Day … destructive locusts that move from target to target. A day of reckoning will come, just as it did for the mortgage-backed security scam/industry.

DocBarrister
Should partners and associates, doctors and janitors get a proportional share of the revenues?
I assume you meant to say, "Each team gets a proportional share of the net revenues" (though leave it up to somebody to say that net can be gamed more easily than gross), and then the union and the employer can negotiate individual compensation by dividing that share of the net revenue.
But while union compensation structures tend to flatten compensation across employees, they will not be truly flat in a just agreement.
Maybe I do not understand this argument but I thought under the current NIL environment, the marquee players and names are already getting the big$$ and would that not continue? The new ruling does not limit direct payments from Nike to a player. I would think that whatever "equity" gets shared and provided by the University would be chump change or per diem to the QB or even the Tic Toc star women's basketball player. I think the biggest issue would be that so few schools and even fewer with D1 men's lacrosse are in the category to have a big $$ athletic department to create this fund. Outside of the Big 10 Big 12 ACC and ND do the other programs have any "profit" left in athletics? I did not include SEC as they do not have a men's lacrosse program.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
And what will locusts do to those production and related budgets to spend on your projections? Think milk and churn not invest
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
Not net “can” be gamed. It “will” be gamed.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:06 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
My impression of NIL is that, broadly, it is being used two ways: (1) to recruit potential stars and (2) to reward and retain those who actually become stars. I think the rules regarding NIL essentially open the door for rich boosters to bribe young athletes. Even if half the recruits don't pan out, a school might still win a NC with the other half.
Late Slide

Post by Late Slide »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:00 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:06 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
My impression of NIL is that, broadly, it is being used two ways: (1) to recruit potential stars and (2) to reward and retain those who actually become stars. I think the rules regarding NIL essentially open the door for rich boosters to bribe young athletes. Even if half the recruits don't pan out, a school might still win a NC with the other half.
You are right, but bribe makes it sound so insidious. Which it probably is, but otherwise legal. A few kids I currently know were drawn out of the portal because of the offer of NIL money to offset tuition or for spending money. That's very powerful to a 21 yo in the age of Instagram telling you that affluence is a baseline and everyone drives restored vintage Broncos.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

A Sports Illustrated article in about 2015 noted that 80% of former NFL players were in financial distress or bankruptcy. These are adults with financial advisors provided by the League. Imagine how kids in college will handle an abundance of cash? The IRS will have a field day.
Backinshape

Post by Backinshape »

I would like to see an alumni base raise enough money to endow the tuition of a roster. Doesn't seem like it would be a reach for some of the Ivy league teams. Raise 72 million dollars and pay the tuition of all the players with the interest. It's feasible under the current constructs.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”